Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wow. I'm on day 8, having picked the Anguished One's path and the game just spiked in difficulty. No fight before day 8 forced more than one reload, even that hilarious dickpunch which was the day 7 boss, but my team just hit a brick wall in the first fight of day 8. I went from one-rounding every enemy party I went up against, even Super Sayan Io, with almost comedic ease to getting smeared across the wall.

I must have lost in the first two turns with a head-on approach on that stage 3 or 4 times before realizing that only two of the enemy parties were mission critical. It took a few more attempts and some creative fusion to perfect a strategy. I lured Ronaldo into charging a character set up to Null his team, dogpiled him, rushed the tank forward to where Joe was, skipped a party over the enemies with True Phantasm, and one-rounded him with 3x Assassinate.

I am actually legit proud of this because its not often in SRPGs you have to set up a MASTERSTROKE just to win some random story fight. In most of my other favorite SRPGs--FFT, Yggdra Union, and Valkyria Chronicles come to mind--by endgame you're just running over enemies like a eighteen-wheeler with chainsaws on the front, and it's mostly about the Experience. The 3DS I was borrowing is now back with its rightful owner because I have an exam coming up and Devil Survivor was eating my life, but I am super looking forward to the next story fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Is there a "worst" ending in DS2 like Yuzu's in DS1?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I cannot believe they added a layer of randomness to the demon auction, I just had a demon leave after I won it.

gently caress you Atlus for thinking your horrible negotiation system has been anything but poo poo. :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I cannot believe they added a layer of randomness to the demon auction, I just had a demon leave after I won it.

gently caress you Atlus for thinking your horrible negotiation system has been anything but poo poo. :argh:

I thought they only left if you didn't pony up the extra cash they ask for.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought they only left if you didn't pony up the extra cash they ask for.

I always have enough money, this one just left after all proceedings.

Oh well, game's starting to piss me off anyway, spent like an hour getting my demons rights and upgrading, get into the first battle of day 3 and I get bitchslapped down by all the humans there, some of my demons are the same as theirs, no idea why the ones they have do more damage, typical Atlus "difficulty" I guess.

Starting to lose my taste for their special brand of bullshit.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Finished Amane's route and 8th day, I have to say the 7th day bosses past Jezebel were kind of a cakewalk with 16/x/16/16 as my main's stats and my team's skills were all Prayer, Holy Dance, Drain. I don't remember anything beyond that, but now that I'm on my second playthrough I power leveled to 10 Ma just to get Drain going. I don't remember if Multi-Strike was in DS1 but mother of god is it powerful. Drain Hit + Dual Shadow on something with Multi-Strike feels unfair after a point.

Don't know what ending I'll pursue next, but I changed my name from Cloud Strife to Bruce Wayne. It's pretty hilarious that everyone keeps calling me Batman.

"No wonder he's your cousin..."

Edit: Okuninushu is one of my favorite boss fights now because of how I had to take him down. Basically Deathbound was treating most of my teams like a blender treats frogs, except Mari and Catoblepas, whom both had Phys Repel. Imagine, if you will, a boss that kills itself.

vanov fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Alteisen posted:

I always have enough money, this one just left after all proceedings.

Oh well, game's starting to piss me off anyway, spent like an hour getting my demons rights and upgrading, get into the first battle of day 3 and I get bitchslapped down by all the humans there, some of my demons are the same as theirs, no idea why the ones they have do more damage, typical Atlus "difficulty" I guess.

Starting to lose my taste for their special brand of bullshit.

Mind your initiative and how you use extra turns. Do you give the enemy priority more than you should be? This is one of the few ways stock demons can overcome player-owned equivalents. Diversify what your teams do. Try to prioritize mobility and freedom (Flight, Phantasma, Demon Speed and Animal Leg all are crucial to gaining priority). Do the Free Battles until you run out of skills to crack; this should provide most of the exp and macca you need, and gives you better magnetite options.

The game gets progressively easier as you gain access to multiple hit skills, like Ma- stuff and the Dances. Crack Drain, Holy Dance, and Recarm as soon as possible for use in magnetite copying. Recarm becomes Prayer and Samarecarm as needed; once you have about 50% of your team like this it's nearly impossible to die.

I can't emphasize this enough, Drain is T.H.E. most important skill in the game to crack.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
P3P is my first JRPG and I can't believe how much I love it, I got it off PSN when i got my Vita and now I can't be bothered with any of the Vita launch titles/any other game. I'm sitting here playing it with and unopened copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting on my desk

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
this may have been covered already but for castlevania dracula x, for instance, how do I transfer my saves?

ALSO. I am going to bite the bullet and get VC3 in japanese since it will never come out in english. Is it worth it? is it fun if I will never know about or care about the characters? has anyone else done this? from what I understand the translations are just menu translations. I LOVED 1 and 2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

redreader posted:

this may have been covered already but for castlevania dracula x, for instance, how do I transfer my saves?

ALSO. I am going to bite the bullet and get VC3 in japanese since it will never come out in english. Is it worth it? is it fun if I will never know about or care about the characters? has anyone else done this? from what I understand the translations are just menu translations. I LOVED 1 and 2.

You may have wanted the RPG thread. However, VC3 is great, speaking as someone who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese. There are menu guides on gamefaqs so it's never that confusing, and if you're willing to search through the gamefaqs forums someone translated the first 4 chapters, so you can get a general idea what's going on.

On a more relevant note (DS2)the Anguished One is awesome. You can pretty much set it up so they take no damage from all but two types, which they resist.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 7, 2012

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

skog posted:

P3P is my first JRPG and I can't believe how much I love it, I got it off PSN when i got my Vita and now I can't be bothered with any of the Vita launch titles/any other game. I'm sitting here playing it with and unopened copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting on my desk

It's a really great game, but man, exploring Tartarus can get boring/tedious.

skog
Aug 20, 2009

i am bones posted:

It's a really great game, but man, exploring Tartarus can get boring/tedious.

Tartarus is probably the most boring aspect of the game, what sucks is that I just beat The Hanged Man, so I feel like the rest of the game is just making my way up the Tartarus but I dont know, I'm still gonna keep playing though

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
For some reason I love Tartarus. It's different and something about the game being one central dungeon with story dungeons on the side appeals to me.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

vanov posted:

For some reason I love Tartarus. It's different and something about the game being one central dungeon with story dungeons on the side appeals to me.

Yeah, i felt the same way. There was something cool about slowly working your way through one gigantic dungeon instead of several smaller ones.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In DS2, giving Jungo assassinate and a dragon with evil flow is absolutely hilarious. Taking out the most powerful teams on the map by hitting their leader for over a thousand damage from 6 spaces away never gets old.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited
I'm on Day 4 and Joe is the best character. Character of the Year here. No one else in this game matters except for Joe.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Multi-Strike is loving brutal in the right hands. with high agility and decent strength pierce + ares aid+ drain kills everything and heals you all the way back up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

When do you get side dungeons in P3P (minimal spoilers if possible, I basically know the main plot twists already despite desperately trying to avoid them, no need to pile on more)? It seems like Tartarus is an awful chore in vanilla/FES due to the ridiculously punishing fatigue system, and then an awful bore in Portable due to the lack of the same.

That said, holy crap now that I don't have to put up with fatigue limiting me to a floor or three a night P3P is super cool. I even feel like I have time to study and go out with friends now, since I can go and hit the next barrier the night it's available!

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I would take fatigue over P4's brutal SP restrictions any day of the week. Magical healing foyer love (thia is changed to a healing toll booth in P3P).

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

DrManiac posted:

Multi-Strike is loving brutal in the right hands. with high agility and decent strength pierce + ares aid+ drain kills everything and heals you all the way back up.

This. I just did this with the dancer on day 7. Now I wish I had pursued her friendship. She is regularly trashing entire teams and making me lots of macca.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

vanov posted:

I would take fatigue over P4's brutal SP restrictions any day of the week. Magical healing foyer love (thia is changed to a healing toll booth in P3P).

I can see where you're coming from, but at least in P4 you can ration out your SP so you don't get screwed out of anything if you're playing smart (and even if you gently caress up, oh well, jump back in tomorrow). In P3/FES it seemed like (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I only played either for like seven or eight hours) after some cripplingly small number of battles your characters would start getting tired and there just wasn't much you could do about it other than leaving Tartarus and resting for a few days.

P4 is resource management and attrition, P3 was just gimping your characters arbitrarily in the most frustrating manner imaginable.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In my first playthrough of Devil survivor overclocked, I just tried to crack as many 'Auto' skills as possible in fights, and did tons of free battles, so I could fuse all possible demons up to my level, excluding Mitama's. I barely used the auction house, though.

That strategy started to fall apart at level 40+ due to the sheer cost of resummoning good component demons. My wallet was in SO MUCH PAIN.

At least I got a Kukiri-hime with a magic stat of, oh, 22 registered in my compedium. I re-summoned that one so much for fusion
I think I noticed how much magic power was being inherited when my Seiryuu, a demon with 12 in magic normally, had a 25 in magic.
It naturally comes with Elec Amp, and Mazio. :D It also had 154 MP, but with Elec amp and Mazio, it didn't NEED it.

Yeah, I created magical terrors on the battlefield for that playthrough. Never really needed to give monsters Drain when battles were over quick

Even though Drain and Mana-regen are good, the if you make battles short enough, even the story ones, then it does not have to be used THAT much.

The only time I had to completely restructure my humans teams and skills was for the final battle, after I found it was more of an endurance round. That was the only time, really, when I looked at conserving mana.

Drain and Holy dance are good, but not THAT good.
And besides, screw Drain, Magic-Yang is where it's at, pal.

I never looked at a guide, and I was surprised at how much everyone was singing Drain's praises.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

I never looked at a guide, and I was surprised at how much everyone was singing Drain's praises.

Drain gives you unblockable huge amounts of HP and MP restoration and can utterly cornhole many enemies just by removing their ability to cast spells. It is a fantastic ability in all ways.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but you can pretty much wipe out enemies without it.
And if you have enough magic to make drain powerful, then you can usually use an enemies elemental weakness to 1-shot them, and if you have good demons, wipe an entire team in a round of combat

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but at least in P4 you can ration out your SP so you don't get screwed out of anything if you're playing smart (and even if you gently caress up, oh well, jump back in tomorrow). In P3/FES it seemed like (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I only played either for like seven or eight hours) after some cripplingly small number of battles your characters would start getting tired and there just wasn't much you could do about it other than leaving Tartarus and resting for a few days.

P4 is resource management and attrition, P3 was just gimping your characters arbitrarily in the most frustrating manner imaginable.

IIRC, In Persona 3, the amount of time it takes to become fatigued is determined by your level. The higher your level, the longer it takes before you get fatigued. The fatigue gets a LOT better the further you are in the game, much like the SP problem in Persona 4. At least Persona 4 will let you return to the exact level you left the dungeon on, unlike vanilla Persona 3 and FES. :argh:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

When do you get side dungeons in P3P (minimal spoilers if possible, I basically know the main plot twists already despite desperately trying to avoid them, no need to pile on more)? It seems like Tartarus is an awful chore in vanilla/FES due to the ridiculously punishing fatigue system, and then an awful bore in Portable due to the lack of the same.

That said, holy crap now that I don't have to put up with fatigue limiting me to a floor or three a night P3P is super cool. I even feel like I have time to study and go out with friends now, since I can go and hit the next barrier the night it's available!

Well, once you get the request for the bloody button you can beat the Reaper. Then, when you get to the top of Tartarus, the Monad dungeon will appear. Going through Monad will let you wipe the floor with the final boss.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, but you can pretty much wipe out enemies without it.
And if you have enough magic to make drain powerful, then you can usually use an enemies elemental weakness to 1-shot them, and if you have good demons, wipe an entire team in a round of combat

The key point of drain is that it not only destroys the enemy's mp supply and fucks up their auto skills/spells, it also restores a bunch of your mp. This means your magic focused character can pretty much cast powerful spell (like holy dance) as much as you want. Combine this with a good auto skill (like auto revive) and you can pretty much make your dude a self-sufficient one man army,especially if your demons are physical based and you don't have to worry about their mp.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 7, 2012

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I went with Magic Yang more, and attached Drain to a healer.
I saw things more as, 'how many enemy teams can be taken down' as a measure of a team's worth.
Less 'individual' and more, 'team'
So I boosted magic and attack power, and went for the quick kill of enemy teams to minimize mana costs.

About 1 team could pull off, late game, 4-5 enemy team kills before running out of health/mana.

So to me, I saw Magic-yang as the more useful skill, and Drain more for a mage with 'holy dance' 'Prayer' and 'drain'. In sorts, a mage that would also cast outside of battle a ton as well as in battle.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 7, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

About 1 team could pull off, late game, 4-5 enemy team kills before running out of health/mana.

Well that's the thing though, a magic based MC with Drain/Holy Dance/some form of healing can take down 4-5 late game enemy teams without even making a dent in their resources, while your other characters should still be able to take out around 4-5, like you said.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but 4-5 teams per one of mine is enough, except in the final battle, so I saw no need to change it up.
I preferred elemental attacks with Amps to almighty stuff like holy dance, as I had all teams with a elemental suite of attacks for any enemy, and almighty stuff is horrendously expensive if you don't have the space for abilities that offset the cost somehow.
And my mages needed extra turns a whole lot, too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Use Tyrant demons and never run out of MP ever again :c00l:

(Except for ghosts possessing you, that sucks if you don't have prayer or a Megami demon.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Drain gives you unblockable huge amounts of HP and MP restoration and can utterly cornhole many enemies just by removing their ability to cast spells. It is a fantastic ability in all ways.
There's really no point in using drain in DS2 once you're past day 4 or so. The game is really best played with alpha strikes. If you're legitimately not one rounding everything (including most bosses) then I'd say you've built your humans messily. At some point demons also become relegated to just shields/healers/utility with the occasional damage abilities in niche cases (hello shield all).

For the most part day-7 humans can solo everything in extra-turns, or double-extra turns. 40 strength assassinate, 40 magic holy dance, 20+ str/20+ agi multi-strike, 40 strength mow down, etc. You just have to watch resistances/reflection in the case of physical, but thankfully there are abilities to help with that too.

Also I feel like none of this should be surprising. We learned a lot of lessons in Devil Survivor 1 and the game didn't really change all that much, so it's a rinse/repeat of the same end game with slightly weaker bosses. It's more just a "wee time to break the game" feeling.

Pharohman777 posted:

Drain and Holy dance are good, but not THAT good.
And besides, screw Drain, Magic-Yang is where it's at, pal.
Holy dance is mainly good because it bypasses all resistances and more importantly, any reflections. It is pretty much unstoppable since it's almighty (same with drain, and the mediocre Forget debuff).

Any MP auto abilities are kind of non-optimal since you can substitute those with either demon abilities or just by raising your MP pool. Realistically it's pretty hard to burn through 300 mana if you are using mana stream unless you are solo'ing maps. If you are running out then any late-game Tyrant like Hecate with a large mana pool is something like a 100 mp regen per battle (that's two free holy dances). Tyrants tend to be good demons anyway, Hecate was always one of the best since it learns Anti-Most.

On the other hand though there's really no necessity to play optimally. It's a pretty fun game and you can do a lot of things. I enjoyed the buff that AGI stuff got personally.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 7, 2012

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I built my teams for magic based alpha strikes, meant to remove extra turns from opponents via having the 4 types of magic.
It was all of the Ma- spells, with the occasional -dyne tossed in.
If my demons needed more mana, then they obviously did not have a high enough magic stat for spell casting.

Using Drain means using a single target spell, and I want to get through Shield all, so that means having 3 Ma-dyne spells go off in one turn, usually of one or two elements. Drain slows down teams too much, unless both demons on the team can wield all 4 elements, then I can have my human use drain, unless an opposing team has shield all.
I really hated going against Decaribias, when they started appearing.

And I tried to make it so any team could cover any other, elementally.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 7, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What determines (DS2)If a character can be persuaded to rejoin you in the last two days? Is it based on your Fate level with some characters rejoining no matter what? Because for the most part the characters that have joined me are ones I had high Fate levels with, but then I get something like Daichi joining at Level 2 and I don't know what anymore. And Ronaldo died even though we were at Level 5, but I have feeling that would have happened on any ending but his own.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
More DS2 endgame talk--I'm pretty sure from the grapevine it's Fate Level 4, but it's possible to screw up the conversation events even then. I have no clue how you got Daishi to join you--maybe because he's your best friend he always sticks with you, Atsuro-like?.

Also the day 8 fight with Yamato on my path wasn't as brutal as I expected, but only because I looked at all the stacked enemy teams with revival capability and decided that there was no way in Hell I'd make it three turns without getting worn down. The stage is set up so you can kite all the enemy teams around an empty space, then Genma/Avian over the gap. So I just used that to get some breathing room and dogpiled Yamato with everyone. Bastard wiped three of my teams, including MC, before going down though. Christ.

Now I'm kind of sad I missed some of the delicious cracks on the stage, though.

EDIT: I dunno, DS1's endgame was a comedic victory lap with free ice cream and unicorns compared to some of this crap.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
My main's team by endgame was Holy Dance, Drain, and Prayer/Samarecarm on all three members with Magic Yang. 1 MP to 100% heal in combat is inarguably good, and by the time your stats are high enough Drain acts more like a sniper rifle than anything. Gotta give it up to Magic Yang though.

Exploring Atsuro more this time around, he's kind of disgusting once he learns Health Save though it's pretty late game. I just can't figure out how I want to build the two extra characters; I have Yuzu and Keisuke at level 21 and I can't set a whole lot of skills from my last playthrough due to their stats, but I've never really figured out how to balance my two spare characters without them being redundant half-as-good magic nukes that pale to Main. I'm considering a healing team with Devil Speed/Phantasma/Flight and Switch as a support recon thing but meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

What determines (DS2)If a character can be persuaded to rejoin you in the last two days? Is it based on your Fate level with some characters rejoining no matter what? Because for the most part the characters that have joined me are ones I had high Fate levels with, but then I get something like Daichi joining at Level 2 and I don't know what anymore. And Ronaldo died even though we were at Level 5, but I have feeling that would have happened on any ending but his own.

They have to be Fate Level 4, you have to talk them down (very easy) and they have to be on a route where they don't automatically die no matter what you die. (i.e: Yamato and Ronaldo can't be saved on the Anguished One route no matter what.)

The easiest way to get the "save all 12 and get the best ending" trophy is to ignore Jungo and Hanako since they will join you automatically on Daichi's route. You need to level Io (and I think maybe Daichi but I'm not sure) but those two can be ditched completely.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how do I fight this botis guy on day 3.

I know I'm supposed to go for the girl but he's rather powerful and kind of in the way.

I actually did manage to whittle him to almost no health but had no MP left to finish the job, then he killed a demon and diarama'D himself and I just gave up.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I know I'm supposed to go for the girl but he's rather powerful and kind of in the way.

I actually did manage to whittle him to almost no health but had no MP left to finish the job, then he killed a demon and diarama'D himself and I just gave up.

You bring a shitton of Dance spells or get as many Evil Wave/Chaos Wave demons as possible and whittle him down from range.

Also, lategame demon talk: I love Purple Mirror. Who the hell needs anything other than Holy Dance when you reflect everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Evil Wave works well on him since he won't be able to set up Shield-All. Otherwise throw teams with Dances on them. I believe he can be frozen so Ice Dance might be a good bet there. His first turn is almost always Shield-All which will drain his MP decently enough. Save him for towards the end, after you elminated the miasma to have an easier time of it.