Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

That one covers all the alt costumes, and I found a few posts detailing all the alt-colors for about 20 characters, but apparently there's a few missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Isn't the costume value pack supposed to be out today? I'm not seeing it on the Playstation Store.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Finally jumped on the Wesker bus now that it's old and is missing a wheel, but I can't get his crouching M to connect after the OTG gunshot. Is there a special trick to it, or is it just a really small window of time? I see everyone do it all over the place, I figured it wasn't THAT hard.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
It's a really easy link, like 4 or 5 frames at worst. Wait, you're not trying to do it after an air combo, are you? Because that only works in X-factor.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just as he puts the gun in his pocket.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
You should just jump on the Spencer train instead.

(Or you hop on both trains at once, really)

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Finally jumped on the Wesker bus now that it's old and is missing a wheel, but I can't get his crouching M to connect after the OTG gunshot. Is there a special trick to it, or is it just a really small window of time? I see everyone do it all over the place, I figured it wasn't THAT hard.

Hitstun deterioration here matters a lot. Like you can't do LMHS, MMHS, otg gunshot, Low M- that won't work. Instead make your bread and butter LMH qcf L, L (to teleport) and then do OTG gun, low M, stand H, qcf M, single dash, stand H, S, MMH super or MMHS, gun, THC.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
You can only connect the M after a very short combo (like LMS cobra strike), or an air grab/command grab.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Or while in X-Factor.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
So is there any validity to this rumor of a balance patch?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

SpaceBees posted:

So is there any validity to this rumor of a balance patch?

There's a rumor? Did somebody talk about it anywhere? Haven't heard about it, and while possible, it's very unlikely without any further details.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Blinn posted:

Hitstun deterioration here matters a lot. Like you can't do LMHS, MMHS, otg gunshot, Low M- that won't work. Instead make your bread and butter LMH qcf L, L (to teleport) and then do OTG gun, low M, stand H, qcf M, single dash, stand H, S, MMH super or MMHS, gun, THC.

Okay, that makes sense. I was actually practicing this as my basic bnb for him, but I was actually hitting a standing M after both the knockdown shove and the wallbounce shove, then HS MMH super. Is there any reason to use a cr.M rather than the standing one?

I was trying the OTG gunshot after an air combo though, so it's good to know that it's impossible/too hard and I'm not that lovely!

Waverhouse posted:

(Or you hop on both trains at once, really)

I love Spencer he's been on my B Squad since day one of vanilla :shobon: I still can't grasp using his zipline in combos though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Transient People posted:

There's a rumor? Did somebody talk about it anywhere? Haven't heard about it, and while possible, it's very unlikely without any further details.

Filipino Champ mentioned it on the FGTV stream a few days ago. It was just an offhanded mention, where he was like "too bad zero's being nerfed~ i got some good sources on this".

I hope it's true because gently caress that midget.

in bigger hopes i hope it buffs ghost rider because that guy is my homie.

edit:

http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive/b/310721205

12 hours 23 minutes in.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 7, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

I'd rather they'd buff the lower tier characters than just nerf all the high tier ones.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

I'd rather they'd buff the lower tier characters than just nerf all the high tier ones.

If you buffed any "lower tier" character to Zero, Dormammu or Wesker's level they'd just be really retarded too. That's not a good thing..

Like, realistically how the gently caress are you gonna buff someone like say.. Ghost Rider(yesss) to Zero's level? He doesn't have amazing assists, he doesn't have bullshit retarded fullscreen pokes/mixups that are safe, he doesn't have the absolute best projectile in the game... Nothing in his design could be "buffed" to that level- understand?

edit:

vv ahahahaha you think dante is bad now

also removing xfactor would own but not really fix wesker, dormammu and their ilk because they're still insanely good despite x-factor (in fact, dormammu would be BETTER without x-factor)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 7, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'd rather they just remove x-factor, the source of every character people bitch about besides zero.

That, and either give dante good hitstun or good damage please because right now he has neither and I have no reason to not play doom/zero/magneto/jill besides character loyalty TIA capcom!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darealkooky posted:

doom/zero/magneto/jill

One of these things is not like the others.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpaceBees posted:

Most of the 'low tier' characters are still fairly viable and the only reason you don't see more of them are because there are much easier/better ones. I'd say the only characters that have absolutely no worth on a team are Tron, Hsien-Ko, and Phoenix Wright.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

darealkooky posted:

I'd rather they just remove x-factor, the source of every character people bitch about besides zero.

That, and either give dante good hitstun or good damage please because right now he has neither and I have no reason to not play doom/zero/magneto/jill besides character loyalty TIA capcom!

Uh, Dante's combos are still way longer than they have any right to be with nerfed hitstun.

flatluigi posted:

Most of the 'low tier' characters are still fairly viable and the only reason you don't see more of them are because there are much easier/better ones. I'd say the only characters that have absolutely no worth on a team are Tron, Hsien-Ko, and Phoenix Wright.

I agree but I think that those characters along with some others could be given buffs that would make them more useful and thus we would see more of them being played.

Also gently caress characters like Zero that have "all the tools". They don't need all the tools, especially since this is a team game.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Fereydun posted:

If you buffed any "lower tier" character to Zero, Dormammu or Wesker's level they'd just be really retarded too. That's not a good thing..

Like, realistically how the gently caress are you gonna buff someone like say.. Ghost Rider(yesss) to Zero's level? He doesn't have amazing assists, he doesn't have bullshit retarded fullscreen pokes/mixups that are safe, he doesn't have the absolute best projectile in the game... Nothing in his design could be "buffed" to that level- understand?

edit:

also removing xfactor would own but not really fix wesker, dormammu and their ilk because they're still insanely good despite x-factor (in fact, dormammu would be BETTER without x-factor)

Extend the chain a bit and he's got a safe poke I think. Not perfect of course, but it'd be a start.

Also, this is actually much more substantial than I expected - you're not going to see someone who regularly brawls for fight money say stuff like this out of the blue. At the minimum we can expect a patch to fix some bugs, which is nice!

---

quote:

I'd say it's Hsien-Ko, Phoenix and Shulkie who are the worthless characters. Tron isn't quite that bad - just very hard to use and outshined, but it's not like she's a waste of a slot. She has a few perks.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
drat you Capcom stop balance patching and let the people figure out things instead :argh:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Tamagod Sushi posted:

drat you Capcom stop balance patching and let the people figure out things instead :argh:

People have discovered that Zero is a character that requires no effort to win with.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

Like Fereydun said, you can only buff the lower tier characters so far. I doubt a balance patch (as much my heart of hearts dreams for one even that is dubious at best) will do much more than tweak some numbers. Some of these dudes need a little more than just number tweaks.

It would probably be easier to nerf some of the worst offenders than try to get every body else up near their level. Nerf the top four or five or buff the bottem ten to fifteen?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Waverhouse posted:

Like Fereydun said, you can only buff the lower tier characters so far. I doubt a balance patch (as much my heart of hearts dreams for one even that is dubious at best) will do much more than tweak some numbers. Some of these dudes need a little more than just number tweaks.

It would probably be easier to nerf some of the worst offenders than try to get every body else up near their level. Nerf the top four or five or buff the bottem ten to fifteen?

Let's see...who'd be nerf-worthy, anyway? Zero, Wesker (no glasses buff/glasses buff reduced to a third or half), Dorm's MastaCJ mixup, and what else?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
It's not like sunglasses are what made Wesker stupid. And nerf Spencer and Doom while you're at it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Transient People posted:

Let's see...who'd be nerf-worthy, anyway? Zero, Wesker (no glasses buff/glasses buff reduced to a third or half), Dorm's MastaCJ mixup, and what else?

Spencer's unscaled damage on his zipline (and the ability to confirm off his movement grapples from fullscreen... seriously what the gently caress is that nonsense?), Wolverine st.L AA hitbox and damage output, Doom's FOOTDERP/the ability to dash cancel it on block.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but those are the serious offenders that can be tweaked somewhat easily..

And of course, remove X-Factor.

Forever.

edit: For Wesker honestly I'd nerf every single thing about him: his speed, his damage and his hitboxes. He has everything from a great keepaway (not even runaway, loving keepaway) game with ridiculous mobility options to some of the best pokes in the game alongside one of the best dashes in the game. Even if all of those got nerfed his toolset is still so good that he'd easily be high tier- it's strictly in his character design.

ALSO GET RID OF RANDOM CROSSUP PHANTOM DANCE WHAT THE gently caress

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 7, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fereydun posted:

He's not bad but he has pretty huge flaws and tons of characters do what he does but better.

Sure, removing xfactor wouldn't make this game super balanced or anything, but the super derp speed and damage boosts are a huge part of why people bitch so much about characters like sent wesker and phoenix. toptier will still be toptier but they actually have to put in a little work to kill someone and are almost blockable.

quote:

Uh, Dante's combos are still way longer than they have any right to be with nerfed hitstun.

This would be a fair point if I couldn't just pick doom and wait a million years before getting my guaranteed kill/tons of meter. Or do magneto loops that are even longer, or anything zero does. Viper combos? Hell vergil has longer combos because he actually has hitstun AND they do more then the damage captian america does from abc-super

Meanwhile dante has a hard time getting combos that aren't complete poop on people in the air, if you don't do your inputs perfectly the game just goes "nope, combo time over" and they pop out and abc super you to death, and his damage scaling is so bad unless you do combos that consist of several 2-frame links and similar stupid poo poo all your non-super hits do around 500 damage by the end (when hadouken does like 100,000)

Dante is the only character in this game with damage scaling and hitstun that make sense besides like hsien-ko so by comparison he's pretty bad.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 7, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Brosnan posted:

It's not like sunglasses are what made Wesker stupid. And nerf Spencer and Doom while you're at it.

Well, no, they don't, but they're the icing on the cake that makes him unbearable. Unless capcom has a very very clear idea on how to fix him, a minor nerf like that is best, instead of the Shulkie treatment.

---

Fereydun posted:

Spencer's unscaled damage on his zipline (and the ability to confirm off his movement grapples from fullscreen... seriously what the gently caress is that nonsense?), Wolverine st.L AA hitbox and damage output, Doom's FOOTDERP/the ability to dash cancel it on block.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but those are the serious offenders that can be tweaked somewhat easily..

And of course, remove X-Factor.

Forever.

Scaled zipline I could totally see happening, there's no way Wolverine's damage output is getting nerfed but the hitbox might be reduced, and the Doom nerf is possible.

And on the other hand, what I'm hoping isn't nerfed:

-Morrigan Astral Vision allowing meter gain. It'd be a gigantic nerf that isn't really deserved I feel.
-No assist changes beyond giving Phoenix's its invincibility back.

I think that covers the Horribly Dumb poo poo that Capcom could do with a balance patch.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Wesker glasses is stupid and something he didn't need, but it's still bareable byitself. It's when you turn on that level 4 x-factor that you might as well stop playing unless you happen to be trish or morrigan.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

The way I see it the worst offenders are Zero,Dormammu, Spencer, Wesker, and Doom in that order. You could probably cut some damage or health from those guys and I think things would be a little bit more reasonable.

Whereas, the list of people to buff right of the bat is like, Tron, She Hulk, Hsien Ko, Dude Pheonix, Thor and Ironman (probably? I honestly dont know about Tony's deal these days). Then you start getting into smaller groups of the cast like

Dudes who are solid but just seem to be lacking real shine: Ryu, Captain America, Chun Li, probably Deadpool

People who require a strange amount of technical skill and require a nifty team to do probably less damage than Wesker: Jill, MODOK.

Gimmicky Guys: Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, the design enigma that is Lady Pheonix

Like I want to see some ridiculous poo poo when I watch mvc but we gotta be real about what one could perhaps possibly get if there was a hypotherical balance patch, maybe.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I forget who posted this but I still really agree with it:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Ironman has really bad ground normals and is slow to move around and he has no real mixup besides surprising people with his range, but has awesome air normals and if he touches you he can easily do insane damage, he's reverse Iron Fist.

If they buff anyone they should give spiderman a wall-cling or at least a wall-delay my wall jump thing like firebrand has.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I would imagine they would do something at least about Zero's instant kill from just wherever stuff, but other than that, I don't really see many things on a lot of those streams that are completely unbeatable anymore. Wesker's still pretty drat great but he gets beat pretty soundly much more frequently. The game seems balanced enough to have Viewtiful Joe be really goddamn flashy on a couple teams lately. Only thing that I'd like to see is Tron and all them get bumped up enough to at least make them come up once in awhile.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yeah, Tony and Thor are weird, but I'm not entirely sure they're in need of buffs. They might need some minor touch-ups, but nothing really really major. SpaceBees knows more about IM than I do, but I think he'll agree when I say that he's way underrated.

Also, Shuma really needs one (1) buff: No more retarded animations after his supers. Give him that and he'll be pretty decent.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

darealkooky posted:

dante

His tools are still better in combination than every single character you mentioned. Also he still builds really good amounts of bar for every combo and every single combo of his leaves you in an extremely favorable reset position. If you asked someone who they would rather have point if they could play a characters at their top level no one in their right mind would pick Doom over Dante unless they were really lovely.

Like seriously do you really think Dante is "comparatively bad" to most of the "high tier" characters because seriously he's not.

You need to stop looking at his damage/combos and look at the fact that he controls the match extremely well, can confirm off almost everything alongside that and then turn whatever he just confirmed off of into a really hard to block reset that can't be mashed out or tagged out of that then probably turns into a kill combo.

edit: Also Phoenix really isn't that large of an issue anymore for a shitload of reasons, so I'm not really sure why you mentioned her...

vvhe blocks everything that's faster than 5? frames after the flash if he's grounded too thanks to bold blocking lol

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 7, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Fereydun posted:

His tools are still better in combination than every single character you mentioned. Also he still builds really good amounts of bar for every combo and every single combo of his leaves you in an extremely favorable reset position. If you asked someone who they would rather have point if they could play a characters at their top level no one in their right mind would pick Doom over Dante unless they were really lovely.

Like seriously do you really think Dante is "comparatively bad" to most of the "high tier" characters because seriously he's not.

You need to stop looking at his damage/combos and look at the fact that he controls the match extremely well, can confirm off almost everything alongside that and then turn whatever he just confirmed off of into a really hard to block reset that can't be mashed out or tagged out of that then probably turns into a kill combo.

And on top of that, he's safe. As long as you have bar for it, Devil Trigger gives you even more tools and keeps you protected from big punishes. It's not on the level of Morrigan's 0-frame blocks, but still pretty drat good.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

Sure, removing xfactor wouldn't make this game super balanced or anything, but the super derp speed and damage boosts are a huge part of why people bitch so much about characters like sent wesker and phoenix. toptier will still be toptier but they actually have to put in a little work to kill someone and are almost blockable.

No one bitches about Sent or Phoenix anymore, and Dante is still plenty good. I can't figure out if you're just bad or still playing vanilla or what.

Transient People posted:

Well, no, they don't, but they're the icing on the cake that makes him unbearable. Unless capcom has a very very clear idea on how to fix him, a minor nerf like that is best, instead of the Shulkie treatment.

Wesker was in need of changes before they even added in the sunglasses thing. They are one of the least offensive things about him, and removing the buff would do effectively nothing to his game.

Transient People posted:

Also, Shuma really needs one (1) buff: No more retarded animations after his supers. Give him that and he'll be pretty decent.

Shuma is garbage for a bunch of reasons beyond just that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I would imagine they would do something at least about Zero's instant kill from just wherever stuff,

Yes, but what could they do? He already dies in one combo from any member of the cast, and changing his soft knockdown stuff would gut his damage down to abysmal, since that's entirely what he relies on.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Yes, but what could they do? He already dies in one combo from any member of the cast, and changing his soft knockdown stuff would gut his damage down to abysmal, since that's entirely what he relies on.

Remove his buster cancel, or make lightning not cancelable by buster. Also lower his damage scaling from .3 to like .1.

His damage scaling is actually obscenely high regardless, and the fact that he's got incredible tools outside of the lightning poo poo (buster, great movement, great normals, insane insane reset game) would keep him pretty high up there still.

If you scaled down his maximum damage scaling he wouldn't have his ridiculous damage off his lightning loops, and if you removed buster canceling he wouldn't have fullscreen crossups and pokes that lead into death combos/nearly unblockable resets.

You gotta remember that his reset game is still one of the best in the business, and that he's still got the buster->lightning reset at the end of his combos that safely lead into his mixup game/a combo if they mashed.

He would still have the shadow super, which basically gives him control of the match because once he turns it on he stops giving a gently caress about everything that could match or beat his options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Brosnan posted:

No one bitches about Sent or Phoenix anymore, and Dante is still plenty good. I can't figure out if you're just bad or still playing vanilla or what.

Wesker was in need of changes before they even added in the sunglasses thing. They are one of the least offensive things about him, and removing the buff would do effectively nothing to his game.

Shuma is garbage for a bunch of reasons beyond just that.

Such as being reliant on a level 3 super to do much of anything while not having the appropriate returns, some problems with his moves, how he shoots damage scaling to hell...I know about his problems, but being able to do something with his supers would help quite a bit anyway.

• Locked thread