Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Chain Attack is probably the most "on topic" warmachine podcast. They rarely derail, and if they do its for like a minute, tops.

I still like FnF/MoM best, mainly because I like listening to Nigel and Keith talk warmachine theory. They both are pretty articulate and opinionated. I usually disagree with Nigel a lot, especially when he whines about Khador (lol) but he says a lot of really well thought out things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy Chain Attack, but if I had to pick just one podcast to listen to about tiny plastic elf barbies, it'd be FnF, I'm not a big 'toruny guy' but their info is good for anyone, they have a great back and forth where it feels a bit more organic than Chain Attack, and in general they're very funny.

The G&G folks seem like perfectly nice guys and all, but yea they never say anything bad about PP and their interviews are usually just blowjobs because, shockingly, the dudes they have on can't just go 'ok so lemmie break down the entire book for you...' They're basically the 40k Radio of Warmahordes, none of them are that BAD but it's pretty much just a fanboy circlejerk, also their files are big and annoying.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

S.J. posted:

Does she like constructs?

Yes, though not as much as the warp wolves. We have a wold warden and sold guardian.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This list probably sucks, but I basically couldnt stop laughing as I made it.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Mortenebra - Infernal Machines
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Master Necrotech Mortenebra (*4pts)
* Helldiver (3pts)
* Stalker (4pts)
* Stalker (4pts)
* Deathjack (11pts)
* Leviathan (8pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
Bloat Thrall (2pts)
Bloat Thrall (2pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

And you know what, it probably works too if you can trample over some stuff, overrun from that into the caster and deliver a DJ with 3 focus to the opposing caster's face.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

quick hide behind this banner while I take a poo poo

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

crime fighting hog posted:

hahahaha. I better get my Legionnaires ordered!

Maybe his friend just carries around the toilet paper and paper towels.

BTW, his rules are loving amazing. Granted: Set Defense and the +4 armor/no knockdown minifeat! The standard also gives Mage Static (-5" range for enemy spells targeting this unit) as a bonus. I can think of quite a few times where that would have helped.

I am about to order Legion infantry for use with Kallus. I have Hex Hunters and Striders already. I am planning on getting max Legionnaires, max Swordsmen, and 2 boxes of Incubi. To fill out my force should I double up on Legionnaires, swordsmen, or grab Grotesques?

I never plan on buying Rhyas, but might pick up pThags soon.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 6, 2012

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

He's at the beach trying to take off his armor to put on his bathing suit..awkwarrrrd.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
After being turned off 40k by the local player base and finding the WarmaHordes crowd much more inviting I am left one condundrum.

I am hopelessly stuck in picking what faction to start with.

The obvious answer would just be to buy all of them but sadly my yacht payments are just taking too much of my money /sarcasim.

The ones that interest me the most are Menoth, Cryx and Syrath

I really like magic and buffs and prefer melee combat to ranged. Not too interested in debuffing.

To give more examples I really like the Space Marine faction from DoW 1-2.

Hmmm...after typing that out I think Cryx can be dropped which leaves me with Menoth and Syrath. Any suggestions goons?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Don't play Menoth because only assholes and winners play Menoth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

After being turned off 40k by the local player base and finding the WarmaHordes crowd much more inviting I am left one condundrum.

The obvious answer would just be to buy all of them but sadly my yacht payments are just taking too much of my money /sarcasim.

I really like magic and buffs and prefer melee combat to ranged. Not too interested in debuffing.

Hmmm...after typing that out I think Cryx can be dropped which leaves me with Menoth and Syrath. Any suggestions goons?

Menoth and Cryx seem closer to what you're after. Retribution has a huge ranged component to it, and not all Cryx casters are focused on nothing but debuffs, they have plenty of buffs too and loving rock in melee. Menoth does a bit of everything but has no debuffs really to speak of and can go pretty magic heavy with plenty of their casters.

Honestly if you haven't played the game then there isn't much point in saying which kind of combat you're after since it plays so much differently than 40k. Just pick the models you like the most; each of the factions you're after are solid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dexefiend posted:

hahahaha. I better get my Legionaires ordered!

Maybe his friend just carries around the toilet paper and paper towels.

BTW, his rules are loving amazing. Granted: Set Defense and the +4 armor/no knockdown minifeat! The standard also gives Mage Static (-5" range for enemy spells targeting this unit) as a bonus. I can think of quite a few times where that would have helped.

I am about to order Legion infantry for use with Kallus. I have Hex Hunters and Striders already. I am planning on getting max Legionaires, max Swordsmen, and 2 boxes of Incubi. To fill out my force should I double up on Legionaires, swordsmen, or grab Grotesques?

I never plan on buying Rhyas, but might pick up pThags soon.

I seriously hate how good he is because gently caress that model, but I can't not use him with my Legionaries.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I actually kinda like the model. The standard bearer looks confused though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

S.J. posted:

I actually kinda like the model. The standard bearer looks confused though.

I just in general am not a fan of "COME AT ME BRO" poses, I guess it can also be 'rally cry' in that angle but it just kinda looks odd compared to the unit. That bearer may be my favorite part though, he looks like some dude he just grabbed and threw armor and a banner at.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Glitterbomber posted:

I just in general am not a fan of "COME AT ME BRO" poses, I guess it can also be 'rally cry' in that angle but it just kinda looks odd compared to the unit. That bearer may be my favorite part though, he looks like some dude he just grabbed and threw armor and a banner at.

I think if you reposed the arm to be in a defensive posture, he could look awesome.

Anyone have thoughts on Grotesques vs 2nd unit of Legionnaires or Swordsmen?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sounds like you want to play Menoth. No real debuffs, a shitload of buffs, good shooting and melee. Plus you can start cheap as hell with the 2 player battle box.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dexefiend posted:

I think if you reposed the arm to be in a defensive posture, he could look awesome.

Yea if it looked less 'RAAAAAAAAGH' and more 'Ok gonna chop this dude's head off' it'd rule.

Swordsmen and Legionnaires rule, Grotesques rule but slightly less so, but really depends on the caster.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ok so Menoth it is. Gonna crusade up in this house.

I dont mean for goons to do all my work for me, but for a melee centric Menoth army that buffs its front line, would the High Reclaimor with Bastions and a Choir be a good base to play around with?

Most games run the 25+ points.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Harbinger of Menoth is not melee herself but her abilities turn melee troops into monsters, for melee casters the Not-Arab and that Executioner are both excellent close combat dudes.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I dont mean for goons to do all my work for me, but for a melee centric Menoth army that buffs its front line, would the High Reclaimor with Bastions and a Choir be a good base to play around with?

High Reclaimer doesn't buff any of his models. Best he can do is drop clouds and pray.

Severius is the army buffer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If you want to hit people in the face, epic Kreoss is a fine choice.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Grand Scrutator Severius (aka pSev) is one of our best casters, he is easily my best caster, and he has perhaps the two best buff spells in the game in Eye of Menoth and Defender's Ward. He also has a boatload of focus. His biggest weakness is his frailty, so you just have to get used to playing him way back, but it's very doable. He works well with almost anything we have, seriously, he's great.

Our battlebox caster, High Exemplar Kreoss (pKreoss) is another great caster with arguably one of the best feats in the faction, and he also has Defender's Ward, and a decent focus pool.

Bastions look sweet, but they are a later-purchase in my opinion. We have far more fundamental units than Bastions, and while I agree they look freaking awesome, they're not going to be as functionally useful as some of our other units (Temple Flameguard, Knights Exemplar Errants) and holy poo poo buy some Choir of Menoth.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Awesome, thank you for all the help and suggestions. Now to break my bank account and horrible splash paint on the models.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

dexefiend posted:

Grotesques. They're much better for the purpose of dying horribly to produce incubi, and are alright in their own right outside of their stupidly tiny command bubble.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ignite and gang make them hit pretty damned hard.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Ignite and gang make them hit pretty damned hard.

Ignite makes anything hit hard.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Ignite makes anything hit hard.

Its true, but they are cheap as hell

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same thing. I just wish they were speed 6! an 8.5" threat range in Legion is just wierd.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

gently caress you.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Mikael Kreoss posted:

gently caress you.

Verily. :colbert:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

play Menoth because winners play Menoth.
I agree.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Thanks for the responses on my Merc list. I was hoping to try out some of the suggestions last week but then my employer decided to hold a round of lay-offs that day. I survived the purge but was in no mood to go roll dice. Such is life.

I'm hoping to get in some games tomorrow though. I have a much better feel for 50 point games and I agreed with a lot of the suggestions so I'm going to bring this list.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Highborn Covenant
Casters: 1/1
Captain Damiano (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Steelhead Heavy Cavalry (Leader and 2 Grunts) (6pts)
Steelhead Riflemen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Ragman (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Stannis Brocker (4pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

I think Damiano giving Dead Aim to the Gun Mages is really powerful and if I'm smarter about positioning, they should be able to clean house. A standard Steelhead block with Ragman to make the Halberdiers scary and Rhupert for tough, and pathfinder. Acceptableloss is right, with Stannis in the center of the Steelheads, Sure Foot is going to be very strong. Taryn is a model I just painted and really want to get some use with. Her ability to fire into melee with be handy with all the Halberdiers running around and maybe Shadow Fire will give me a neat shot with my Riflemen.

Also, some of my tax return showed up today!

I'm really looking forward to painting and playing with Alexia's variations. Also a Freebooter with a group like the Devil Dogs or Rutger Shaw looks like a lot of fun. The Devil Dogs look especially fun to paint and I hoping to match my Buccaneer and Freebooter with them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man, I hate you for buying so much stuff I would like myself.

Devil Dogs are kind of a weird unit, but also good fun, it might take you some time to get used to playing them. The Buccaneer is a great jack to run with them to double up on knock-down fun. The Freebooter might work well as well, bear in mind that you're kind of competing for space with the unit on targets. obviously if you can arrange multiple targets thats cool, and the freebooter doesn't really have to target the knocked-down dude. Smash and grab works perfectly well on anything.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm really looking forward to painting and playing with Alexia's variations. Also a Freebooter with a group like the Devil Dogs or Rutger Shaw looks like a lot of fun. The Devil Dogs look especially fun to paint and I hoping to match my Buccaneer and Freebooter with them.

Sam and the Devil Dogs are sweet but I cannot in good conscience recommend Rutger Shaw.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, he has Taryn, which is the way to use him if you are going to. I haven't had anyone say he is really worthwhile, but the pair with an efficient jack is like a tiny battlegroup. Maybe give him a Talon or something? Vanguard?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Well, he has Taryn, which is the way to use him if you are going to. I haven't had anyone say he is really worthwhile, but the pair with an efficient jack is like a tiny battlegroup. Maybe give him a Talon or something? Vanguard?

But then you'd be stuck with a Talon in your list.

Vanguard is sweet though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Rutger Shaw is a bit of a letdown and really shows the limitations of the Jack Marshall rules. But gently caress it, I got into this game from Warhammer because I really enjoyed the idea of each unit and model being unique to some degree. Rutger is Rutger and represents what I enjoy about the Mercenary Theme, a rugged mage-hero trying to earn a few coins in warfare with Giant Robots. Taryn getting some reasonable buffs is good too and they make a striking pair on the table.

I'm not a great painter, but the unified blue theme of the army looks good from the 3-foot distance.

While he is far from optimal, I've thought of a few good uses for him. If I put the Freebooter on him and the Buccaneer, or whatever really, with the Devil Dogs, you can make a nice mess. The Freebooter charges a target with Reroll for the first attack, and boosts the to-hit on the second attack and if both land, I get to do a Two Handed Throw for free. The Freebooter tosses the unlucky enemy a few inchs away, getting a knockdown. The Devil Dogs charge in for a nice pow 10+2d6+1d6 for knockdown+1d6 for Charging. Ashcans is right though as there is a bit of a space problem here, but I only need a few Devil Dogs to make it work. The rest can hang out with Sam for Stall Sword+Net knockdowns and she can use the Buccaneer, or Talon or Nomad, for the added threat. In this role, They, Rutger and Taryn, basically exist to help the Devil Dogs like odd an UA almost. Taryn is just gravy here with the ability to shoot into melee since there will be plenty of that.

Rutger with a Vanguard is not bad either. Vanguards are pretty self sufficient and will take a turn or more to remove. The Vanguard can charge and do its best to tie up a unit while Rutger charges in the following turn for the Flank Bonuses. Not a bad way to defend a flank but Rutger can still get murdered easily, leaving me with an Autonomous jack.

I certainly will not argue him being good but hey, he is one of the best examples of why I like this game's setting and themes, even if I am ignorant to the fluff overall. Sorry again for the low quality pictures but I will try to get something better worked out. Also, I'm still very new to the game so most of this is pure theory craft but that can be fun too.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

dexefiend posted:

Get more Legionnaires if you must get something. Swordsmen are a trap unit and not worth their points at all.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Hey, could anyone tell me what colors the Legion of Everblight book recommends for Nyss skin? I'm getting some Nyss hunters in a couple of days, and I want to replicate the studio scheme, more or less.

Was thinking basecoat grey (Dheneb stone), wash with diluted blue, highlight with light grey up to MWH, if I had to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Acceptableloss posted:

But then you'd be stuck with a Talon in your list.

Haha, sure, but I feel like every Merc player has a Talon sitting around they don't know what to do with (I converted mine into Buccaneers and Renegades). The Talon is pretty unremarkable, but it's a decent speedbump and not shabby on the charge. Of course, for one point the Vanguard is just straight up better in every possible way, so....

Crazy Ferret posted:

Rutger Shaw is a bit of a letdown and really shows the limitations of the Jack Marshall rules. But gently caress it, I got into this game from Warhammer because I really enjoyed the idea of each unit and model being unique to some degree. Rutger is Rutger and represents what I enjoy about the Mercenary Theme, a rugged mage-hero trying to earn a few coins in warfare with Giant Robots.

I totally respect this, too. Every couple weeks I try and find a justification for buying Blythe and Bull, just because I love their models and blurb and they seem like a great example of what Mercs are about. Unfortunately, at 4 points they're a tougher sell than the Talon.

Your plan for the Freebooter and throw is not bad at all, you can probably toss a due far enough to get the Devil dogs on it. Something else to think about, if you are playing against someone with multiple beasts, is that the Dogs and all charge different things. So the Buccaneer can knock something down, and most of the Dogs charge that - but you're only going to get 3-4 around most things anyway, so a couple can charge something else, and use their nets to knock it down. Now the Freebooter can charge on that knocked down target, and if it manages to survive the Trash attack, toss it somewhere inconvenient for your opponent. Bam!

My advice for the Devil Dogs is not to worry too much about the Stall from Sam. Most of the time you don't really need it to hit your target, and you're better off squeezing in one more pick instead. Don't forget that Sam has a handcannon, either! That shot surprises a lot of people and I regularly wing or drop a solo with it.

• Locked thread