Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arnold of Soissons posted:

You could explain around that, too, but even thinking about it puts you on the wrong side of Occam's Razor.

Which is really my point. It's not that I don't see how you could easily retcon Syrio into being Jaquen, or at least a Faceless Man, but the explanations pile on top of one another and start eating into the other plot lines to the point where you're honestly better off leaving the entire plotline untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I guess the main reason that the theory never seemed that plausible to me was because the Faceless Men are all about being, well, faceless. Assuming that Ned stark vetted Syrio's credentials and he wasn't just boasting (which his fighting skills seem to indicate), being the First Sword of Braavos seems like a somewhat conspicuous position for a group of assassins renowned for their anonymity.

Yeah, but all their identities are real people. Jaqen also killed someone and then assumed his identity, so it wouldn't necessarily be a huge stretch for an FM to kill Forel (or for Forel to otherwise die somewhere unnoticed) and then steal his face. As mind the walrus has been saying, though, it's not going to add enough to the story to be worth it.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Is retconning the new way Gurm is going to gently caress up the series?

Does Literature Protection Services exist? There has to be someone we can call who will take ASoIF away from him until he's a fit parent author again.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

Maybe he meant actual milk toast, as if to say Davos is a soggy mess but still quite savory?

The cannibals on Skagos may soon find out for themselves.

Yes, milquetoast is itself a play on words, referencing a bland and uninteresting meal. Therefore what lookd like ignorance on my part is actually a play on a play on words, referencing Davos' palatability to cannabis.

Layers upon layers, my friends. Layers upon layers, like suet on a fat man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

As mind the walrus has been saying, though, it's not going to add enough to the story to be worth it.

Well we had two whole books of not adding anything to the story so...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

80 page speech (broken up in 3 POV chapters with 2-6 chapters in-between, of course) in which Syrio lays out the entire plan of the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men, who turn out to be the true antagonists of the entire story?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mediant posted:

Is retconning the new way Gurm is going to gently caress up the series?

Does Literature Protection Services exist? There has to be someone we can call who will take ASoIF away from him until he's a fit parent author again.
GRRM decides that he has enough money to live in luxury for the rest of his life and doesn't want to spend any more time writing. WoW thus will consist of just one chapter that reveals that the entire plot has actually been a fantasy that existed solely in Hodor's head and that all the Starks and King Robert are alive and well. The End.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

mind the walrus posted:

Which is really my point. It's not that I don't see how you could easily retcon Syrio into being Jaquen, or at least a Faceless Man, but the explanations pile on top of one another and start eating into the other plot lines to the point where you're honestly better off leaving the entire plotline untouched.

I know, I was agreeing with you. :ohdear:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

80 page speech (broken up in 3 POV chapters with 2-6 chapters in-between, of course) in which Syrio lays out the entire plan of the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men, who turn out to be the true antagonists of the entire story?
It turns out that the higher echelons of the faceless men are actually alien reptilian shape-shifting humanoids. Having finished studying humanity, their mothership arrives and launches a full-scale alien invasion. Thankfully, all the characters from Wild Cards accidentally travel to the dimension of ASOIAF and become the new protagonists of the series after all the characters introduced so far are exterminated by the reptilians.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Except Brienne, Sansa, Davos, and Tree-Bran.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I know, I was agreeing with you. :ohdear:

I was just clarifying my own point in a different way. Let's not fight. Let us celebrate with a round of lemoncakes and rape. Pick a newbie, any newbie.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Why yes, Roose, Dr. Tachyon is quite familiar with the procedure to change your body to that of a teenage woman so you can get raped by your psychotic son. What? Is it reversible? Of course, there are very powerful necrotic sex majjyks we can call upon...

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Do you guys know if they have an increased budget this season? I was sad last season when they just knocked out Tyrion and we missed the stark/lanistar battle, where we get to see Gregor in action for the first time in the books. Without giving much away, book two features a giant gently caress off battle and I hope they can show it.... but if they didn't have the money to show the one last season, I worry how they could show the DONT READ THIS battle of Kings Landing with hundreds of Ships and tens of thousands of men fighting on them

e; Oh yeah this isn't the non spoiler thread.

Umph fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 6, 2012

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Factor_VIII posted:

GRRM decides that he has enough money to live in luxury for the rest of his life and doesn't want to spend any more time writing. WoW thus will consist of just one chapter that reveals that the entire plot has actually been a fantasy that existed solely in Hodor's head and that all the Starks and King Robert are alive and well. The End.

Factor_VIII posted:

It turns out that the higher echelons of the faceless men are actually alien reptilian shape-shifting humanoids. Having finished studying humanity, their mothership arrives and launches a full-scale alien invasion. Thankfully, all the characters from Wild Cards accidentally travel to the dimension of ASOIAF and become the new protagonists of the series after all the characters introduced so far are exterminated by the reptilians.

:tinfoil:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But, but where do the Second-rate Looters play into this? The Others are clearly a metaphor for the fans who claim the right to take without contributing to society, right?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

Why yes, Roose, Dr. Tachyon is quite familiar with the procedure to change your body to that of a teenage woman so you can get raped by your psychotic son. What? Is it reversible? Of course, there are very powerful necrotic sex majjyks we can call upon...
I hope Roose loves dogs as much as his son does...

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

my cat is norris posted:

If he can make Jaime sympathetic,

We like to do a lot of "haha GRRM is fat rape your nuncle urf urf" here but this is a pretty impressive turn of writing I think. Jaime went from being someone I hated and wanted to see die to maybe the character whose chapters I look forward to the most.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I just like it when Jaime slaps people with his gold hand. poo poo's hilarious. I could do with less of nipples on a breastplate and more of Jaime backhanding idiots with his gold hand.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

empty sea posted:

I just like it when Jaime slaps people with his gold hand. poo poo's hilarious. I could do with less of nipples on a breastplate and more of Jaime backhanding idiots with his gold hand.

Or walking in on people and making smartass quips about it.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ross posted:

We like to do a lot of "haha GRRM is fat rape your nuncle urf urf" here but this is a pretty impressive turn of writing I think. Jaime went from being someone I hated and wanted to see die to maybe the character whose chapters I look forward to the most.

I remember what he did with The Wise And Powerful Turtle, which is on par with what he did with Jaime. Maybe better, since he did that poo poo first.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

bigmcgaffney posted:

I remember what he did with The Wise And Powerful Turtle, which is on par with what he did with Jaime. Maybe better, since he did that poo poo first.

Wait, are we talking about Stephen King here?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Octy posted:

See the GURM! of enormous girth, on his belly he holds--

Ah, gently caress it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't back out. Finish the loving poem.

On his belly he holds horse roasted with honey and peppers, peacocks served in their plumage, roasted whole and stuffed with dates, roast swan stuffed with mushrooms and oysters, roast herons, a great wedding pie with a hundred live doves baked within to fly out when the crust is broken, unborn puppies and honeyed dormice, dog sausage, olives stuffed with maggots, jellied eels, stuffed larks, camel, spiny grubs, dog in honey, stuffed with prunes and peppers, heron stuffed with figs, black swan in her plumage, honeyed chicken, beef-and-bacon pie, fresh-baked bread, pork pie, hot spiced wine, cream of wheat with butter and honey, black pudding, sausage, bacon, duck eggs, and dark beer, baked venison, oatcakes, roasted haunch of goat, acorn paste, mutton in onion-ale broth, buns with raisins, dried apples, and pine nuts, pease pudding, rack of lamb in garlic-herb crust, aurochs with roasted leeks, cold fruit soup...

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Did you... have a list of most egregious food descriptions found in the books hidden somewhere? You did, didn't you?

I guess now that that's done the poem may be continued.

On his backs all rapes are made
He knows story's end but mayn't aid
His writing's slow but never kind
He holds us all within his mind
He loves the cake, and loves the tea
And even loves a child, like Arry

I feel dirty.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

It also raises the obvious question of what a Faceless Man was doing scouting out a small child as a swordplay instructor in the first place. What mission could he have been on that would:

Syrio = Howland Reed = Jaquen

:colbert:

He was doing his brah Neddard a favor.

Rurik posted:

See the GURM! of enormous girth, on his belly he holds--

Ah, gently caress it.

GURM, the great A'Tuin carrying four elephants on its back gut which in turn support the world on their backs guts.

edit: In retrospect, I feel bad for bringing Pratchet in to a GURM thread. Terry deserves better.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 6, 2012

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

empty sea posted:

Who was it that made that avatar a while back of the golden hand knocking over the wine goblet? That made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Rurik posted:

...I guess now that that's done the poem may be continued.

On his backs all rapes are made
He knows story's end but mayn't aid
His writing's slow but never kind
He holds us all within his mind
He loves the cake, and loves the tea
And even loves a child, like Arry

I feel dirty.

:golfclap: Aye, so you are. Say thank ya.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

el_brio posted:

Who was it that made that avatar a while back of the golden hand knocking over the wine goblet? That made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

I've watched this at least two dozen times.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Pure awesome. I read back a few pages but it looks like no one commented on the AGOT opening to the Simpsons last Sunday. It was the first time the Simpsons haven't sucked in several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367Nd07eF9E

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Octy posted:

I was wrong, its the Great and Powerful Turtle, GRRM's aspie Wildcards OC.

dad-a-chum did-a-chick tick tock CHOO CHOO

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

It was elf pron who made it an avatar, for whoever asked. And yes that is the best youtube.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bigmcgaffney posted:

dad-a-chum did-a-chick

Lobstrosities are probably the most horrifying thing in that entire series. There's just something about them, it's unsettling in ways nothing else is.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lobstrosities are probably the most horrifying thing in that entire series. There's just something about them, it's unsettling in ways nothing else is.

That, and the Blaine picture book.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The animated features on the GoT blurays are amazing.

It's a history book of, well, everything. Pretty rad.

(gently caress GRRM)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
What, seriously? Is there anything new?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

What, seriously? Is there anything new?

Not really. It's just the tiny snippets of Westeros history you read over 4 books all summarized in one big animated piece. It's really cool.

And the commentary is nifty too.

HBO owns.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I haven't seen anything "new" but if you haven't read the books this would be a pretty awesome way to get the important history. The ones about the history of the Wall are my favorite so far.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Bran the Builder, can he build it?

Bran the Builder, YES HE CAN!!!

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
From the TV IV hiatus thread:

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Lysa sucks so much. Her and her stupid kid.

Man, this person is going to have the best time watching the Sansa snow castle scene.

There's a part of me that wishes I could erase my memory before watching the adaptation of Storm of Swords. That entire 2 (?) seasons will be incredible.

I also wish I could erase my memory of DwD, but for completely different reasons :downs:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Trico posted:

Man, this person is going to have the best time watching the Sansa snow castle scene.

There's a part of me that wishes I could erase my memory before watching the adaptation of Storm of Swords. That entire 2 (?) seasons will be incredible.

I also wish I could erase my memory of DwD, but for completely different reasons :downs:

Don't we all? Imagine the uproar after the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As soon as I can figure out which night that episode is going to air I'm making time specifically to be around the internet just to watch the newbie tears flow.