Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Probably. I guess the value proposition is different when you live on a farm.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Urban in my Herbin Garden

I guess so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Frogmanv2 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Urban in my Herbin Garden

I guess so.

Don't be a loving prick, I grew them as a kid and live in a rental house now. Despite that, I'm still in the city, and I still have a yard where I could grow pumpkins if I wanted. It's still a worthwhile question to ask.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Don't be a loving prick, I grew them as a kid and live in a rental house now. Despite that, I'm still in the city, and I still have a yard where I could grow pumpkins if I wanted. It's still a worthwhile question to ask.

Sure thing toots. Pretty sure I answered it as well.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Yeah, it's based on yield per square foot and length of time it's taking up that space. Pumpkins take a lot of space for a lot of time, and they are very cheap when in season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Steve Solomon has a chart like that in his book Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades.

Ranked from best value to worst. He says it was based on his costs compared to the cost in the supermarket in the season it could be grown. This is for the Pacific NW so it may vary by region where it's easier to grow some things at different times of the year.
I would put radishes high on the list, they have an extremely rapid turnover, and they're both easy to plant and easy to harvest and simple to re-plant.. Sure they're cheap in the market but those can't hold a candle to home-grown. :)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Grocery store radishes are just crunchy water.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We tried pumpkins and watermelons a couple times, they take up a shitload of space and invariably you only get like three and the squirrels eat them before you do. gently caress growing those things. Corn too. And cabbages, they take up a lot more room than you might think and you only get one per plant. No real quality difference from the $2 cabbages at the grocery store, it's not worth it.

Fresh western herbs are impossible to find where I live so I got a bunch started. I wish I had somewhere to sit them outside, my windowsill gets light all day and direct for the last half or so. Hopefully that plus my ceiling light will do, small lamps are bizarrely expensive here.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 3, 2012

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Just moved to LA and picked up a couple planters along with some mint, thyme, rosemary, chives, and basil to grow on my balcony. Anything I should keep an eye out for? I think I have them spaced pretty well. I have the rosemary and mint in one planter, and the rest in a second.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Anything I should keep an eye out for?

The mint to completely take over the planter that you have it in crowding out anything else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How often should you be watering herbs in a fairly humid environment? I have the usual suspects, dill/basil/oregano/thyme/mint. I know killing mint is basically impossible.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It depends on the herb. Basil with it's big leaves needs a little more water. Thyme with it's small leaves and woody stalks needs less. I've been told with thyme to let it dry out on top before watering deeply again, and that's a good rule of thumb for most plants. Oregano is probably similar to thyme. Mint is supposed to require almost no watering if it's outside where it can get the occasional rain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Okay. This is the first time I've grown them inside, before we just had them in my dad's giant garden and they didn't require any special attention. I miss those gigantic bushes of basil.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got black spots appearing on my basil's leaves. Apparently it's some kind of fungus and I should trim the affected leaves, I've done that and hopefully the plant isn't gonna die from losing so many. But I'm curious if this is harmful to humans or tastes bad? I hate to throw away this much basil.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I got black spots appearing on my basil's leaves. Apparently it's some kind of fungus and I should trim the affected leaves, I've done that and hopefully the plant isn't gonna die from losing so many. But I'm curious if this is harmful to humans or tastes bad? I hate to throw away this much basil.

I was pretty sure that it should be fine to eat, but I looked online for "fungus on basil" just to be sure. The site the I found said that it isn't dangerous to humans, but in the later stages, it might not look very appetizing. That's presuming that it is the same fungus. Most of these types of fungi aren't harmful to humans, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Here's the site that I found that talked about basil fungus: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/15/AR2010061501079.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mine are like black splotches, not little spots. Probably right that there's nothing to worry about. I just hope my plant recovers. :ohdear:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Black spots on basil could also be bacterial spot, especially if your leaf spots look "Water soaked" or oily around the edges. For fungus on basil, you may see some grey fuzz under the leaves, which would be downy mildew, and a sign you're watering too much. For either, cut back a little on the watering, and avoid splashing the little bastards onto any other plant parts. Most diseases absolutely love high-humidity and low air circulation.

Pretty much any plant disease won't harm people, unless we're talking grains or certain fusarium species, in which case you get a tiny uptick in your cancer risk, maybe. The biggest dangers are probably loss of yield or prettiness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

High humidity and low air circulation is an excellent description of a Korean apartment. Stupid windowsill is the only place I can get them any light, I'll see what I can do.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

High humidity and low air circulation is an excellent description of a Korean apartment. Stupid windowsill is the only place I can get them any light, I'll see what I can do.

Do you happen to have a fan that you could put on them to increase the air flow?

Also, try to let the soil dry out completely between waterings. Basil is pretty resilient. Even if it droops a bit, it will recover.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Grand Fromage posted:

Does anyone know if peppermint plants can get this, too? My peppermint plant also has black splotches on its leaves. :ohdear:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Niemat posted:

Does anyone know if peppermint plants can get this, too? My peppermint plant also has black splotches on its leaves. :ohdear:

It seems like it is quite common on peppermint plants. Here's some advice on treatment:

quote:

Clean Up Infected Areas
Sanitation, however difficult, is essential for properly managing the disease. Sanitation minimizes the amount of inoculum that overwinters as mycelium or oospores in or on plant parts. Under severe infection, removing the infected plant may be the only realistic management option.

Prevent Water Buildup on Leaves
“Real fungi” do not produce spores that swim, so they can only spread by being blown by the wind, or moved by equipment, insects, or other means. On the other hand, downy mildews and other “water molds” produce zoospores that swim in free water on plant surfaces. They can keep swimming until they find tissue to infect — on the already infected plant or on a neighboring plant.

That means managing water is the key to managing these water molds. Leaf wetness early in the day is critical to downy mildew development. Spore release and zoospore swimming typically cease by late morning, or early afternoon — whenever the dew or leaf moisture dries up. Therefore, any action that reduces the amount of leaf moisture early in the day (such as watering in the late afternoon or changing from overhead irrigation to a soaker hose) will reduce the spread of this disease. Lower leaf surfaces cannot dry out where there is dense canopy growth and tight plant spacing, so such conditions encourage downy mildew spore production. A simple management tool, then, is to space plants properly.

From here: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-68-W.pdf

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

luloo123 posted:

It seems like it is quite common on peppermint plants. Here's some advice on treatment:

From here: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-68-W.pdf

Thanks! Hopefully I can get this under wraps!

As a side question, are the little gnats that won't leave my plants (particularly my peppermint plant) alone fungus gnats then? I'm very new to any sort of gardening, so I have no idea if the gnats are good, bad, or strange.

Edit: I have an indoor container garden in our sunroom, if that helps.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

luloo123 posted:

Do you happen to have a fan that you could put on them to increase the air flow?

You're telling a Korean to use a fan? Are you wishing death upon her?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I don't have a mint lawn at my house, but a good bit of my backyard is covered in thyme, and it smells wonderful when you mow it, and it feels nice underfoot as well.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Timo posted:

You're telling a Korean to use a fan? Are you wishing death upon her?

Aren't most fans in Korea sold with a timer to avoid death?

Niemat posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I can get this under wraps!

As a side question, are the little gnats that won't leave my plants (particularly my peppermint plant) alone fungus gnats then? I'm very new to any sort of gardening, so I have no idea if the gnats are good, bad, or strange.

Edit: I have an indoor container garden in our sunroom, if that helps.

I don't know if the gnats and fungus are connected, but they might be spreading the fungus.

This past summer I had a gnat problem in my apartment and wrote about getting rid of gnats in my blog. I partly filled a plastic bottle with apple cider vinegar (which is like crack for gnats) and added a few drops of dish detergent. The cider vinegar attracts the gnats and the dish detergent reduces the surface tension of the fluid, so when the gnats land on the vinegar to drink, they sink and drown.

I drilled holes in the lid of the bottle so that if the gnats weren't trapped by surface tension trick, they had trouble getting back out.

It really works. I had a cloud of gnats and they were literally gone in two days. I found a space for it in my kitchen and just left it there for a few weeks. Every few weeks, I prepared a new bottle and threw away the old. I used the same type of bottle so I didn't have to drill holes each time, plus I could just switch out the lid with holes for one without and throw away the used bottle without having to deal with the ewwwww inside.

Below is a link to my blog. It has pictures and a more in-depth description of what I did.
http://eatatlus.blogspot.com/2011/10/getting-rid-of-gnats-in-2-days-top-tip.html

I hope it's ok that I linked to my blog. I don't get any money from it or anything. I'll remove the link if anyone complains.

luloo123 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 23, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

luloo123 posted:

Aren't most fans in Korea sold with a timer to avoid death?

Some are, mine doesn't have a timer because I am a radical foreigner. Young people don't really believe in fan death anyway.

I have been watering a lot, I had my mint plants go from healthy to looking like death overnight and started watering daily. I'll cut back. Just watering when the leaves start to droop should be enough, right?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I have a seedling issue with growing Thai chili peppers. I tried to make little seed starters in an egg crate, and just for fun I buried the rest of the hot pepper (remaining seeds, skin, and all) in a cup of dirt.

The egg crate seeds did not work, but the dirt cup has sprouted EIGHT seedlings, just under an inch tall. I can even see little roots at the bottom of the little glass cup.

So, I assume I should move them (one?) to a bigger pot. Right? Or do I let them duke it out for space?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Grand Fromage posted:

Some are, mine doesn't have a timer because I am a radical foreigner. Young people don't really believe in fan death anyway.

I have been watering a lot, I had my mint plants go from healthy to looking like death overnight and started watering daily. I'll cut back. Just watering when the leaves start to droop should be enough, right?

Wait wait wait you can't you just say all this death fan stuff and not get some cultural background. What the gently caress are you talking about!?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
^^ Those crazy Koreans...

taco show posted:

So, I assume I should move them (one?) to a bigger pot. Right? Or do I let them duke it out for space?

They need to be thinned. You may be able to transplant them to separate containers but be very careful with the roots. Hold them by the leaves and not the stems too.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Always keep in mind that more plants die from overwatering than underwatering. Mostly due to the roots rotting from the soil being too wet but also because of fungus, molds, disease.

Here's how I tell whether my plants need water:
Let them get to slightly drooping once or twice and before watering them lift up the pot then water the plants and lift the pot again. Get a feel for how much it weighs when it's low on water and when it's watered. Soon you'll be able to tell when it needs water just from the weight of the plant and you won't have to risk it running too dry. You'll be amazed how much lighter the pot is when it's low on water.

I learned that trick from You Bet Your Garden, my favorite gardening podcast!

Alternatively, you can get a Popsicle stick and put it into the soil for a few minutes. If the popsicle stick comes out damp, no water is needed. If it comes out dry, water away!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

luloo123 posted:

I don't know if the gnats and fungus are connected, but they might be spreading the fungus.

This past summer I had a gnat problem in my apartment and wrote about getting rid of gnats in my blog. I partly filled a plastic bottle with apple cider vinegar (which is like crack for gnats) and added a few drops of dish detergent. The cider vinegar attracts the gnats and the dish detergent reduces the surface tension of the fluid, so when the gnats land on the vinegar to drink, they sink and drown.

I drilled holes in the lid of the bottle so that if the gnats weren't trapped by surface tension trick, they had trouble getting back out.

It really works. I had a cloud of gnats and they were literally gone in two days. I found a space for it in my kitchen and just left it there for a few weeks. Every few weeks, I prepared a new bottle and threw away the old. I used the same type of bottle so I didn't have to drill holes each time, plus I could just switch out the lid with holes for one without and throw away the used bottle without having to deal with the ewwwww inside.

Below is a link to my blog. It has pictures and a more in-depth description of what I did.
http://eatatlus.blogspot.com/2011/10/getting-rid-of-gnats-in-2-days-top-tip.html

I hope it's ok that I linked to my blog. I don't get any money from it or anything. I'll remove the link if anyone complains.

Thanks for the vinegar tip! I put out the bottle of the apple cider vinegar and dish soap. I have thus far killed about thirty gnats (which was very :gonk: because I hadn't seen that many gnats flying around, so where did they all come from??), but I still have gnats chilling on my plants! :saddowns: Is this something that will take a while? Or are they breeding in my plants?

To clear up the infection in my peppermint and now spearmint plants, I'm moving them to bigger pots, removing infected leaves every day, and only watering if they start to look sad. Does that seem like a solid plan? And we established it was okay to consume the leaves with black spots, right? I'd rather not spray chemicals to clear up the problem, but is that my only option?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Well, you could transfer them up, but if they're looking really effed up from the bugs/spots, you want to minimize the stress because that can worsen disease. Really, cutting back on the humidity and making sure you have good airflow (for the same reason) should do it; and yeah, eating spotted leaves is totally fine, just make sure you wash them like you would any other produce.

Otherwise, yeah sounds like a solid plan. Shouldn't need to resort to chemicals. Also, be sure you're removing actual diseased leaves and not just something that's been nibbled on, just to preserve as much foliage (and photosynthetic capability) as possible.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Niemat posted:

To clear up the infection in my peppermint and now spearmint plants, I'm moving them to bigger pots, removing infected leaves every day, and only watering if they start to look sad. Does that seem like a solid plan? And we established it was okay to consume the leaves with black spots, right? I'd rather not spray chemicals to clear up the problem, but is that my only option?

They're probably just fungus gnats, in which case yes they are breeding in the plant pots; their larva eat various fungi that colonize soils. Unless you've got an absolute cloud of them I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Fungus gnats are annoying but manageable. I got them under control by smooshing as many as I could when I saw them and then bottom-watering my indoor plants. Just set the pots in a tray of 1-2" deep water for a few minutes. You should be able to tell the difference between watered and needing water by weight.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Kilersquirrel posted:

They're probably just fungus gnats, in which case yes they are breeding in the plant pots; their larva eat various fungi that colonize soils. Unless you've got an absolute cloud of them I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Fungus gnats are annoying but manageable. I got them under control by smooshing as many as I could when I saw them and then bottom-watering my indoor plants. Just set the pots in a tray of 1-2" deep water for a few minutes. You should be able to tell the difference between watered and needing water by weight.

Will the fungus gnats harm my plants? Or are they more of a nuisance then anything? Obviously the fungus feeding them probably isn't good for the plant, but what about the gnats?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Niemat posted:

Will the fungus gnats harm my plants? Or are they more of a nuisance then anything? Obviously the fungus feeding them probably isn't good for the plant, but what about the gnats?

I don't think that they will directly harm the plants, but they probably help to spread the mold.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Niemat posted:

If you don't change the conditions that let them reproduce then they will breed like crazy and one day you'll find you plants covered in tiny crawling white dots. Other than that, just a nuisance.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Actually symbiotic soil fungi are an integral part of nutrient uptake for plants; mycorrhizal fungi in the soil basically transport mineral nutrients and other goodies directly to the plant's roots/root hairs in exchange for sugars generated by the plant. Without fungus present in the soil, plants have a very hard time growing.

Not to say that all soil fungi are good, but they're not by definition bad either.

e: Though if one of your pots develops a disease you should in fact go to town on the gnats, they are capable of transmitting diseases. Personally I've never had issues with them or with the plants in the pots they frequented when I've had colonies develop.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 6, 2012

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Niemat posted:

This is a silly question, but have you been wiping down the infected leaves with a cloth occasionally to wipe off some of the fungus? This may also help to control some of the gnats.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I appear to have moss growing in one pot. Should I scrape it out or just don't worry about it? I feel like it would just grow back and the worst that it will do is take some of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I appear to have moss growing in one pot. Should I scrape it out or just don't worry about it? I feel like it would just grow back and the worst that it will do is take some of the water.

I have the same issue. Olive, the cleverly named olive tree, actually seems happier now than it ever has before. If it isn't affecting the plant, and the moss isn't growing on the plant, it shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of which, I should probably water Olive.

• Locked thread