Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Hey guys I see there's 1k new posts since I last checked the thread so I ASSUME everyone knows this but Count Choculitis even was unaware of this specifically so I figure I'll post it anyway just in case someone else out there doesn't know.

Semi spoilers about Liara early game ish

You can reunite Liara with Aethyta, her father. Aethyta appears in the Presidium Commons at the bar/cafe near where Liara sits. Aethyta doesn't appear until you finish a mission for an asari in the hospital in the back, though, so if you've been putting off the missions where you have to scavenge for resources, you might not even realize you can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

So I just met Miranda and... is that it? That's her only appearance?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Bloody Pancreas posted:

So I just met Miranda and... is that it? That's her only appearance?

No, you'll speak with her again.

Aristobulus posted:

Hey guys I see there's 1k new posts since I last checked the thread so I ASSUME everyone knows this but Count Choculitis even was unaware of this specifically so I figure I'll post it anyway just in case someone else out there doesn't know.

Semi spoilers about Liara early game ish

You can reunite Liara with Aethyta, her father. Aethyta appears in the Presidium Commons at the bar/cafe near where Liara sits. Aethyta doesn't appear until you finish a mission for an asari in the hospital in the back, though, so if you've been putting off the missions where you have to scavenge for resources, you might not even realize you can do this.

Yeah, pretty sure I missed this. Kelly Chambers never appeared for me either and I'm well past the point where she should have shown up, I figure I missed doing something to trigger her.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nephilm posted:

It was lackluster. You cannot change the outcome no matter what you do, regardless of how good you might be doing (the game is so easy), because obviously it's Bioware's story and gently caress giving options to the player.
Not sure about the 'easy' part, but it was definitely frustrating when my charges and shotgun blasts did nothing, and when I caught up to her on the ladder Shepard actually stopped to let her get the lead again. That was poorly done.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Silly question maybe, but I know that multiplayer has an effect on singleplayer to some extent. Is there an ideal point to do multiplayer, or can you just do it whenever you like, and it'll always carry over?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I just shot Udina Game of The Decade

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, talking to Thane is giving me flashbacks to the Persona 3 social link for The Sun. :smith:

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Just beat the game and thoroughly enjoyed it as an adept. Pretty sure I got the poo poo ending but thats what multiple playthroughs are for!

New game+ let me choose some bonus powers like the previous games, not sure how I unlocked them Inferno Grenade and Fortification

Also coming from someone who has only played the console versions prior to 3, the loading times felt extremely fast. Sometimes less than a second for some areas.

EDIT: Oh yeah (Tali spoilers) Totally made her kill herself. gently caress yeah, Geth supremacy.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

electricsugar posted:

So when you create a new character for ME3 does it let you choose the major choices from the previous games, like it did in ME2? Or does it just decide this stuff for you?

I don't remember anything like that in ME2.
Do you have the PS3 version with that pick-your-backstory Genesis comic thing? They only did that because ME1 isn't availible on the Playstation.

A new char in ME3 will get a pretty lovely backstory with most of the characters dead, because new players wouldn't know who the heck Wrex, Legion etc are and explaining everything is :effort:

OmegaZultan posted:

Day 1 DLC is SO worth it. I'm still shocked it was dlc at all.

It's just EA pushing a 69,99$ pricetag for AAA games.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 7, 2012

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
kelly chambers spoilers

we talked a few times, first time i told her to change her name etc, second time was happy. third time, she admitted to spying for cerberus during the mission, and i picked the renegade response (You did what?!) figuring it wouldnt be a big deal, and lo and behold next time i come back she has killed herself. was not expecting that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hi guys. After being very disappointed by the quality of DA: 2 (and preordering it no less) I'm on the fence about ME3. I enjoyed ME2 and never played ME1. So, some questions:

-Is the writing on par with ME2?
-Do your choices matter? Can you have very different playthoughs like Dragon Age and ME2, or are you railroaded like DA:2? Are there distinct different endings like Dragon Age/Fallout? Nothing annoyed me more in DA:2 than approaching the plot differently, choosing different conversation options and having none of it matter.
-Are the maps noticeably copy and paste?
-Is the Day 1 dlc worth it?
-Any major ps3 issues?

Thanks goons.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Day 1 DLC is SO worth it. I'm still shocked it was dlc at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hi guys. After being very disappointed by the quality of DA: 2 (and preordering it no less) I'm on the fence about ME3. I enjoyed ME2 and never played ME1. So, some questions:

-Do your choices matter? Can you have very different playthoughs like Dragon Age and ME2, or are you railroaded like DA:2? Are there distinct different endings like Dragon Age/Fallout? Nothing annoyed me more in DA:2 than approaching the plot differently, choosing different conversation options and having none of it matter.
-Any major ps3 issues?

Thanks goons.

- Probably better. There's a much better sense of urgency in my game so far and the dialogue, while still pretty standard sci-fi thriller boilerplate, has had no noticeably embarrassing moments and a few impressive ones.
- "Choices mattering" has always extended to little more than cosmetic stuff, but if you killed off a lot of your old party members expect to miss some significant scenes. Dunno about the endings, but my understanding is they all have the same ultimate outcome with vastly different degrees of collateral damage.
- Mass Effect is where the souls of restless skybox designers go for their unfinished business. By that I mean the environments are vastly different and nowhere near DA2's nonsense. You'll still see a suspicious number of warehouse-like environments with convenient cover, though.
- Yyyyyep.
- Don't know.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 7, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yes. There are some terrible bits, particularly right at the start of the game, and the standard "You must assemble a McGuffin to defeat the enemy" thing should have just been dropped, but overall, its solid space-opera.

quote:

-Do your choices matter?

As far as I can tell, yes. Choices from the previous games appear to have a significant influence. Keep in mind that choices within the game itself may not be amazing. If you don't have prior saves to import, the choices may not seem as involving or important.

quote:

Are there distinct different endings like Dragon Age/Fallout?

There are three major endings, chosen at the end of the game. Supposedly, there are factors that influence the ending slides and final battle content. The endings themselves are...contentious, in terms of quality. There is one major event in particular shared between two endings.

There are rumors of a fourth ending for beating New Game+, but no confirmation yet.

quote:

No. Each map is unique. At most, there are textures and other minor assets shared, but there's still a decent variety in environments and combat situations.

quote:

Very, very much so. It adds a new mission and a new squadmate who has a ton of interesting dialogue and is a fairly major piece of the ME lore. However, it is NOT required to get the best ending, like some people have claimed.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Tali related mission Spoilers

I am told to upload the code or let the geth die, I helped tali every time I could in ME2, will uploading the code cause her to off herself?

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Ladders really help the diversity of each map. Assets are definitely reused but its nowhere near as bad as DA2.

Fat_Cow posted:

I am told to upload the code or let the geth die, I helped tali every time I could in ME2, will uploading the code cause her to off herself?

Yes

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I bought a physical copy after work to avoid having to download it through origin, but, after installing, I have to download the entire game? What is the point of even having an install DVD? What the hell did it install?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Fat_Cow posted:

Yup! Though after the first choice you get a second one to switch to the alternative (at least when siding with the Geth first) e: Also whatever crazy things the guy below is saying.

e2: Minor endgame talk, I am kind of surprised given all the Makos they got laying around that at least half of them aren't scaling skyscrapers or some poo poo.

Dukka fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 7, 2012

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

You will have another options there - paragon and renegade one. Paragon one owns cause you will bring peace to quarians and geth. Dont be a jerk, help them out

EFB

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Dukka posted:

Yup! Though after the first choice you get a second one to switch to the alternative (at least when siding with the Geth first).

Or you can pass a reputation check to end the war if you did the right stuff in ME2.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Yeah, Conrad, you helped. Game of the loving Century

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me what the gently caress is going on with the fuel reactor mission? I get there's cranes and poo poo but what am I supposed to be doing exactly with them?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

So without spoiling too much, holy poo poo bring EDI to Sur'Kesh and talk to Wrex.

Just wondering, what the hell is this? It's so random... Is it supposed to be a joke about ME1?

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Peven Stan posted:

Can someone tell me what the gently caress is going on with the fuel reactor mission? I get there's cranes and poo poo but what am I supposed to be doing exactly with them?

Move the crane all the way to the left, then pick up the crate and move it all the way to the right

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
god damned loving reaper kills me every loving time

mid-ish game spoilers: how many times do I have to hit it with the orbital strike to kill it, and why does it get to kill me if the beam is within ten feet?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Welp, finished my first playthrough.

I actually didn't really hate the ending. Came into it with 5,000 GAW points, so the Synergy ending was open. I figure given my playthrough as Super Space Peacemaker would suffer if I took the endings that either killed all synthetic life, or didn't solve the underlying problem.

It really is a lot less lovely in context, and the two "Obvious" options Are foreshadowed in pretty much every loving conversation you have with TIM. And the only way you're liable to unlock the Synergy ending without abusing multiplayer is to be Super Galactic Peacemaker anyway.

Anyway, I liked it, stupid liberties taken aside (Why the gently caress is the Normandy in a Relay when the bomb goes off? To justify them crashing on another planet?), I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, though an epilogue would have been nice, and I never came in expecting Shepard to survive the end of the story anyway, so him dying in a Noble Sacrifice to turn all beings in the galaxy into potential badasses on his level was appropriate.

Also, Upper-Left Blue'd TIM to kill himself, Perfect Ending :unsmith:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Sometimes you have to make a lethal takedown. Stick with the geth. Genocide the Quarians. Then, later on, genocide the geth. And the Krogan. And the Rachni. Twice. Basically if Commander Mikaela "Always Selects Bottom-Right or Bottom-Left Response Regardless of Context" Shepard can genocide something it is going to be genocided. She shall reign over a galaxy of the dead and the dying, and when she sees a deus ex machina with an 'everything dies' button she's going to push it before the expository dialogue's even begun.

They will tell stories of the Shepard, but they will mostly be the kind you tell to frighten small children, not entertain them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RentACop posted:

I was about to say, people are losing their poo poo over that

edit: I mean, it is hilariously lazy. At least they used public domain work instead of like in the NWN incident

It's not so much public domain work, since they had to buy it from Getty. It's pretty common to use stock images and dress them up a bit. Of course, if they ripped it off from Getty without paying for it, there will be hell to pay.

It's more laziness and caring about their product. If it was some random character on a monitor or in a file, no one would give a poo poo. But, since it's a major character that's been around since the first game and there's an emotional connection stemming from that, especially with a subset of fans, you'd think they would've put more effort into it.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

god damned loving reaper kills me every loving time

mid-ish game spoilers: how many times do I have to hit it with the orbital strike to kill it, and why does it get to kill me if the beam is within ten feet?

Needs about four shots, and he gets closer each time, the last one is basically a "Gird Your Loins" moment, as it's charging at point blank range, you just need to stay still and paint the fucker, and you'll trigger a bombardment just before he fires.

The trick is to dodge diagonally towards the Reaper, once the laser's past you, it won't turn back to chase you

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think carrying the Black Widow around is basically what its like to be God.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Haledjian posted:

How do I use a Mass Effect 2 save? I don't have ME2 on this computer but I created the directory structure and put one of the ME2 saves from masseffectsaves.com in it, but ME3 isn't detecting it.

This page on the EA website says the game should recognize it automatically. Try making sure the directory is correct. Restart your game client. If that doesn't work then idk :iiam:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
There really isn't a holster weapon option or am I blind? Like I'm seriously forced to wave my gun around in a noncombat setting with this terrible 50 field of view?

What the heck. :psyduck:

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Is anyone else slightly bothered by how little detail the side mission dossiers contain, especially in terms of where one is supposed to go? I'm fairly early in the game, just got the turian primarch and rescued the kids at Grissom and I'm not sure if I can do all of these little side quests, since many don't say where they're located in the galaxy. It's small, but something about it bugs me.

e: also, some fellow said he wanted to talk to me, and would meet me in the Embassies. The map says he's there, but I can't seem to find him. Wonder if I'm just really unobservant or if there's a bug.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 7, 2012

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Is anyone else slightly bothered by how little detail the side mission dossiers contain, especially in terms of where one is supposed to go? I'm fairly early in the game, just got the turian primarch and rescued the kids at Grissom and I'm not sure if I can do all of these little side quests, since many don't say where they're located in the galaxy. It's small, but something about it bugs me.

The Ones marked "Citadel" will always be found in the Spectre office after completing certain missions. The others will have the star cluster they're found in as the "Location" title

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Holy crap I just bought the soldiers at the bar a round. That's an OLD SCHOOL easter egg there! Marvelous!

EDIT: For anyone who missed it,
Vega: So here's to us!
Soldier: Who's like us?
Shepard: drat few.
Soldier: And they're all dead.

From Return to Zork

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
Can i unlock bonus endings by playing fuckloads of multiplayer and getting war readiness to 100%? I have picked some renegade options and i had just only two standart ones.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Alectai posted:

The Ones marked "Citadel" will always be found in the Spectre office after completing certain missions. The others will have the star cluster they're found in as the "Location" title

Alternatively, the ones marked Citadel can be found on certain missions for free. The place you can buy them is a safety net in case you miss them.

Also, you can blow rockets out of the air Game of the loving Year.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Yes, you can. Get your Readiness to 100%, and you can loving torch every field you come across, and you'll still probably come out on top.

Also, anyone who says you can get the best endings without touching Multiplayer is a God drat Liar. I had a nearly 100% completion run on single-player, and I had about 7,000 GAW points. I had to bump my Readiness up to 75% in order to crest the 5,000 point magic number.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Bruceski posted:

Holy crap I just bought the soldiers at the bar a round. That's an OLD SCHOOL easter egg there! Marvelous!

EDIT: For anyone who missed it,
Vega: So here's to us!
Soldier: Who's like us?
Shepard: drat few.
Soldier: And they're all dead.

From Return to Zork

...that's not a Zork reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Welp I just talked Balak from Bring Down the Sky into commanding the Batarian fleet to help us. Also the Leviathan of Dis was mentioned, for you wierdos that never shut up about that.

• Locked thread