Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

Not going to be doing any track riding, and if I did, I'd prolly pick up a cheaper bike/different tire but I'd assume a 180/55 would be the best tire for taxi/SUV/bicycle dodging? Thanks for the tip.

Try one this time and the other one the next time. Start with the 180 if you'd like more agility and switch to the 190 if you feel the 180 is too twitchy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've got Michelin 2CTs front and rear on my Bandit right now. I see a lot of love for Pilot Road 3s. Is there going to be much difference? I'm looking for long life, as the flat, hot, straight desert isn't kind to the middles of soft tires.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So my 2003 monster's front tire is a Pirelli 120/60ZR17, made 0303.

Going to need a replacement asap?

If yes, should I stick with that same tire? Can you increase tire height in front the same as in the back tire going from 160/60 to 160/70?

Also, the back tire was made 2405, but has great tread (2003 bike only has 7k on it), should I really be concerned with replacing yet? (I'm a new rider and am generally a slow poke... so far...)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So my 2003 monster's front tire is a Pirelli 120/60ZR17, made 0303.

Going to need a replacement asap?

If yes, should I stick with that same tire? Can you increase tire height in front the same as in the back tire going from 160/60 to 160/70?

Also, the back tire was made 2405, but has great tread (2003 bike only has 7k on it), should I really be concerned with replacing yet? (I'm a new rider and am generally a slow poke... so far...)

I would replace both now. Even the newer one is near 7 years old. The rubber has hardened now and you won't get the same level of grip out of them.

In terms of the front tire size, you can likely run 120/70 without any issue. I did this on my SV650 and raised the forks about 7-8mm through the triples to compensate.

New tires are pretty cheap especially when you consider the costs of a low speed lowside let alone a more serious crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes, replace both immediately. Old tires harden really severely and there's a huge reduction in traction. Not a big deal on a car, but a huge deal on a bike where you only have 2 small traction patches, and the bike doesn't want to stand up on it's own. I recommend Michelin Pilot Road 2s or 3s, or Pirelli Angels, or any other sport touring tire for your first tire. They'll come up to temp faster and last longer than the more sport oriented stuff, and will be all around better for street use. Those tires on there are probably not made any more, although Pirelli has a tendency to name their tires very similarly...if you can get the names off of them I can tell you if they're still in production or not.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I've got Michelin 2CTs front and rear on my Bandit right now. I see a lot of love for Pilot Road 3s. Is there going to be much difference? I'm looking for long life, as the flat, hot, straight desert isn't kind to the middles of soft tires.

Theoretically you can get around 9-10k out of PR3's but it all depends on how you ride. I haven't died yet running them and I ride like a dong in all sorts of weather

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xovaan posted:

Theoretically you can get around 9-10k out of PR3's but it all depends on how you ride. I haven't died yet running them and I ride like a dong in all sorts of weather

Ok. I'm edging up on 9k on the rear 2ct, and it's starting to get a flat spot, because really, no twisties. Also, my new job has me going about 1.5 miles on a sandy dirt road, and the back end is all over the place with my tools back there. Will dirt/sand/rock roads eat up motorcycle road tires way way worse?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok. I'm edging up on 9k on the rear 2ct, and it's starting to get a flat spot, because really, no twisties. Also, my new job has me going about 1.5 miles on a sandy dirt road, and the back end is all over the place with my tools back there. Will dirt/sand/rock roads eat up motorcycle road tires way way worse?

Nah you'll be fine. Dirt/offroad is pretty easy on tires.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

My Battlax bt003's did just fine for a bit of light offroading. They seem way harder on dirt than knobbies and pretty much just bounced over stuff. DO NOT get twist happy on the throttle, it'll spin up on a moments notice. Other than that you're golden.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I hear the PR3s praised over other tires mostly for their wet performance. Unsure if that's a factor for you.

Consider the Metzler Roadtec Z8s, people seem to be getting great life with good grip out of them.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Z3n posted:

Yes, replace both immediately. Old tires harden really severely and there's a huge reduction in traction. Not a big deal on a car, but a huge deal on a bike where you only have 2 small traction patches, and the bike doesn't want to stand up on it's own. I recommend Michelin Pilot Road 2s or 3s, or Pirelli Angels, or any other sport touring tire for your first tire. They'll come up to temp faster and last longer than the more sport oriented stuff, and will be all around better for street use. Those tires on there are probably not made any more, although Pirelli has a tendency to name their tires very similarly...if you can get the names off of them I can tell you if they're still in production or not.

How much better are the PR3's (that I see everybody raving about) than the Pirelli Angels? I think I'd definitely get more use out of sport touring tires like the angel compared to diablos or something.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

And how much extra weight is enough to justify b-comp PR3s? 100lb? 200?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

And how much extra weight is enough to justify b-comp PR3s? 100lb? 200?

Personally, I wouldn't run them unless I was on a big sport touring bike.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

How much better are the PR3's (that I see everybody raving about) than the Pirelli Angels? I think I'd definitely get more use out of sport touring tires like the angel compared to diablos or something.

There isn't a bad tire in the bunch when it comes to modern tires from major tire makers. The difference is really in the construction of the tire and the feedback it gives as a result. So basically you buy them based on the feedback you like from your tires, and you only learn what you like from running a bunch of different tires. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My simple input about PR3s: my friend has them on his bike (TDM 850), and the wet grip on them seems amazing.

Fake edit:

Or to quote british magazine BIKE:

quote:

The best yet, by miles. More confidence and outright grip. I could confidently drag my knees through inch-deep puddles every lap...These are the best road tyres I've used in the wet. They tick every box.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Z3n posted:

There isn't a bad tire in the bunch when it comes to modern tires from major tire makers. The difference is really in the construction of the tire and the feedback it gives as a result. So basically you buy them based on the feedback you like from your tires, and you only learn what you like from running a bunch of different tires. :)

Sounds good I think I'll try out the Pirelli's first simply because :italy: and then see how it goes from there.

Btw I've posted in CA for 2 days now and you've already given me lots of good advice. Thanks, you're the man. :):respek::)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

:woop: Baby got some new shoes :woop:

We had a bunch of fog yesterday which held up all the post and freight so I totally wasn't expecting these this morning.

Distanzia 160/60, Pro Extreme Rain 120/70 - Considered by many to be the quintessential supermoto combination for the British 'Summer'.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 3, 2012

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Who usually has the best prices for a set of tires? I'm specifically looking for a set of Pilot Road 2s for a sportbike.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Motorcycle Superstore has good prices, as long as you exceed the $89 threshold and get free shipping.
Dennis Kirk is consistently cheaper, see below.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 6, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Just a small update. I tried to go through Indysuperbike.com, because on google shopper they said no shipping so total would be $120 for a set of MT 75's. At checkout they added $40 for shipping. I checked around and they seem to do the bait and switch for free shipping often. I checked around and found the same tires for $114 + $8 shipping on Ron Ayers.

TLDR: Indysuperbikes can suck it for lying about free shipping and Ronayers rocks for good prices.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

ReelBigLizard posted:

:woop: Baby got some new shoes :woop:

Am I smoking crack or did you put those tires in a boat to take that picture?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's before they were installed on the boat, silly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Nitramster posted:

Some people live on boats, coming from someone who grew up on one.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
My question stands!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The fact that we don't know you're not smoking crack makes it difficult to answer.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nitramster posted:

Those are indeed on my boat, which is also my house. Where I live it's about half the price of even the cheapest shitbox apartment. The real fun came when the weather closed in and I had to dis/mount the rear tyre in the main cabin; which on a 29ft yacht can not be in any way considered spacious.

Mcqueen posted:

Some people live on boats, coming from someone who grew up on one.

Boat livin' buddies :hf:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
[quote="Bucephalus"]
Motorcycle Superstore has good prices, as long as you exceed the $89 threshold and get free shipping.
[/quot

I just bought 2.5 sets of tires and Dennis kirk was $130 cheaper than mc superstore. $5 added per tire but free shipping otherwise. Swmototires.com can be cheap if they have what you need.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gullous posted:

[quote="Bucephalus"]
[/quot

I just bought 2.5 sets of tires and Dennis kirk was $130 cheaper than mc superstore. $5 added per tire but free shipping otherwise. Swmototires.com can be cheap if they have what you need.

Dennis Kirk has bitchin prices, especially for older bikes. My CM200T needed about $300 in parts from other places, at DK it was only about $145.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sooooo, who in Seattle wants to help me put these on? haha

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Where are you at?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Burien/Georgetown

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm up in Everett, kind of a drive...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 7, 2012

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Got my hands on some free track tires that should last for the rest of the year.

Still has the knobbies in the middle, now that's what I like to see :c00l:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I figured I'd ask for a quote from a local bike shop for Pilot Road 3s, thinking that even if it was a few dollars more than the internet I might still by them to help local businesses, but they want $520 for a set, and that's not including installation. I don't understand how they can be $200 more than motorcycle superstore and have anyone buy their stuff.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Weird, tires are the only thing that are fairly close in price around here, although they have a hard time believing you can put them on yourself.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Road 3's or 2CT's for my SV?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Either way, you win.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Street riding, road 3s. Street/track, 2cts.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, if you ride hard enough on the street that you typically blue your tires, you may as well go for the 2CT's. Otherwise, you shouldn't need any more grip than a PR2 or PR3 will offer (which is still a surprising amount, actually).

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Just to create confusion, my Pilot Road 2s say 2CT on them. I'm assuming you guys mean Pilot Powers when you are saying 2CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NinjaCthulhu posted:

I figured I'd ask for a quote from a local bike shop for Pilot Road 3s, thinking that even if it was a few dollars more than the internet I might still by them to help local businesses, but they want $520 for a set, and that's not including installation. I don't understand how they can be $200 more than motorcycle superstore and have anyone buy their stuff.

Bixington posted:

Weird, tires are the only thing that are fairly close in price around here, although they have a hard time believing you can put them on yourself.

I think the UK has a bigger culture of bikes for transport, whereas in the states they tend to be seen more as a leisure pursuit. Here in Guernsey tyres are hugely expensive, way more than can be justified by shipping and handling. I really wanted to support my local shop but they quote £360 for a pair, with 7-10days to wait. Whereas FWR in London will do the same pair for £208 including RM Special Delivery, and get them in the post that afternoon.

I'm pretty sure that even with the delivery that is less than what my local shop are paying trade, I can only assume that whoever is in charge of stock ordering is just massively incompetent.

• Locked thread