Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

ID:UD posted:

53. NON, “Total War” (285)
A song so good it’s almost possible to forget that Boyd Rice is a complete piece of poo poo! Wow!

I actually laughed out loud at this because I totally forgot Boyd Rice still exists and this caught me off guard. This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

Cleopatra compilations are like Ramones compilations in that I already have the tracks but for some reason I end up buying them anyway. It's a sickness.

Cleopatra is William Shatner's record label. I had no idea.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Last Friday Tom Shear announced on Facebook that the new Assemblage 23 album is finished. I'm pretty damned excited for that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

20ozMonkey posted:

Last Friday Tom Shear announced on Facebook that the new Assemblage 23 album is finished. I'm pretty damned excited for that.

Well there's my day made.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Really? I thought Failure through Storm were amazing for various reasons. Defiance took a while for me to get into, but eventually I loved it. Meta I started losing interest, and Compass I thought was unlistenable...

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I can't wait, personally. I find that every A23 album he releases has been better than the last.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The finalised list of artists is up on the Infest website.

Last announcements are Absurd Minds, Resist and :suicide::siren:Suicide Commando:siren::suicide:

I saw SC for the first time at Resistanz last year and thought they were amazing, even if Johan was being a huge oval office and kept ripping stuff off of the top of the stage. (Some poor roadie kept having to run on and put it back up there, at one point Johan had done so much damage the poor guy was resigned to just standing there holding it up.) :confused:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

The finalised list of artists is up on the Infest website.

Last announcements are Absurd Minds, Resist and :suicide::siren:Suicide Commando:siren::suicide:

Woooooooo. Absurd Minds were really good live when I saw them before, and my second favourite band where the singer sounds like the guy from Project Pitchfork (the first, of course, being PP)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
So I just did an interview with I Die: You Die if you're into that kind of thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

So I just did an interview with I Die: You Die if you're into that kind of thing.

I really liked your anecdote about the Johnny Cash track and stagnation.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really liked your anecdote about the Johnny Cash track and stagnation.

Thanks. It was such a surreal moment. Like realizing all your friends are secretly robots or libertarians or something.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

Thanks. It was such a surreal moment. Like realizing all your friends are secretly robots or libertarians or something.

Since I first started going to goth/industrial clubs, it has pissed me off that there are Accepted Playable Songs Outside These Genres, but any other artists, no matter how similar, are not allowed lest people complain.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

That's a really good interview, you've got some good points about the music industry. Also, I knew you were "a DJ", but I had no idea you were the Ad·ver·sary guy! It's not like I've listened to your music, but it's a name that keeps popping up now and then. Def gonna have a look at your stuff now, especially International Dark Skies sounds fantastic.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Since I first started going to goth/industrial clubs, it has pissed me off that there are Accepted Playable Songs Outside These Genres, but any other artists, no matter how similar, are not allowed lest people complain.

Yeah, it's weird and hosed up. Those other artists haven't been anointed or whatever.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

That's a really good interview, you've got some good points about the music industry. Also, I knew you were "a DJ", but I had no idea you were the Ad·ver·sary guy! It's not like I've listened to your music, but it's a name that keeps popping up now and then. Def gonna have a look at your stuff now, especially International Dark Skies sounds fantastic.

Thanks! You can download it all from the 'creative commons' link in the interview.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Good interview, you're a thoughtful man.

Twiin posted:

It's like that thing where people will hear New Order's Blue Monday and say "oh, I like the original by Orgy" real dismissively. Playing fast and loose with the terminology, maybe there's a line where you have people engaged in culture fetishism where you have to dress in bondage pants, yarny hair and paint respirators 24/7 and then there's being in the culture where you do acknowledge that influences come from all over the place and great music doesn't necessarily come from aesthetic dogmatists.

There's a mailing list for colorado goths that I unsubbed from years ago because people would bitch constantly about others not supporting THE SCENE and how ingrates were KILLING THE SCENE. I answered back that sometimes the DJs and clubs were real dicks to me because I'm not heroin thin and a bad dancer and why should I go somewhere to be treated badly? which was also apparently a serious blow against THE SCENE.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

boo_radley posted:

aesthetic dogmatists

This sounds like a good name for a band.

I was listening to stuff on shuffle earlier on Spotify. I left the room and came back just as a Funker Vogt track was playing out. It was impossible to tell which track it was because it just sounded like so many other Funker Vogt tracks. They're such a guilty pleasure for me.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

boo_radley posted:

I answered back that sometimes the DJs and clubs were real dicks to me because I'm not heroin thin and a bad dancer and why should I go somewhere to be treated badly? which was also apparently a serious blow against THE SCENE.

There was a thing a few years back at the club night I co-promoted/DJed where these two big yuppie dudes came in wearing white polos and jeans. Like, so obviously out of their element, and they probably meant to go to the strip club next door anyway. But they were there and bobbing their heads to the music and seemed to be having a fun time.

There was a gaggle of people standing at the bar behind them making fun of them, and they were doing it loud enough so that the two bros would hear them for sure. It was just so loving stupid. Like, these people came in here randomly and they're liking what you're into, so you're making fun of them?

I bought them a pitcher and introduced them to some less douchy people, and they stayed all night and had a blast. But like how in the world do you think people get into your music? Everyone was a loving dork the first time they went to an industrial club.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Twiin posted:

There was a thing a few years back at the club night I co-promoted/DJed where these two big yuppie dudes came in wearing white polos and jeans. Like, so obviously out of their element, and they probably meant to go to the strip club next door anyway. But they were there and bobbing their heads to the music and seemed to be having a fun time.

There was a gaggle of people standing at the bar behind them making fun of them, and they were doing it loud enough so that the two bros would hear them for sure. It was just so loving stupid. Like, these people came in here randomly and they're liking what you're into, so you're making fun of them?

I bought them a pitcher and introduced them to some less douchy people, and they stayed all night and had a blast. But like how in the world do you think people get into your music? Everyone was a loving dork the first time they went to an industrial club.

Wait, you mean you weren't hatched fully-formed from a black latex egg laid by Genesis P. Orridge? Poseur!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I gave up going because I never figured out how to stop being a dork.

A big part is that nobody in my closest peer groups have ever been into the music. As it turns out some of the more interesting people I hang out with these days are another goth crowd, but they're all a good 10 years older than me and I'm out of my element again.

edit: my married roommates in Ottawa were into it and would go to Twiin's industrial nights ... but what's the point of tagging along when they go to dance together?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, you mean you weren't hatched fully-formed from a black latex egg laid by Genesis P. Orridge?

well I was but you know those weekend warriors

teethgrinder posted:

I gave up going because I never figured out how to stop being a dork.

A big part is that nobody in my closest peer groups have ever been into the music. As it turns out some of the more interesting people I hang out with these days are another goth crowd, but they're all a good 10 years older than me and I'm out of my element again.

I think some of my favourite people at my local industrial night were dorks. I don't know. I mean everyone's a dork. It's just some people wear it differently.

My old boss told me a story of how he went to a goth bar once and was super intimidated by all these people with lipstick and makeup and corsets, until he went to get a drink and heard the hardcore looking vampires next to him arguing about which version of Adobe Photoshop was better.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 9, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twiin posted:

My old boss told me a story of how he went to a goth bar once and was super intimidated by all these people with lipstick and makeup and corsets, until he went to get a drink and heard the hardcore looking vampires next to him arguing about which version of Adobe Photoshop was better.

In my whole life, I think I have known maybe one person who was into gothic or industrial music and who wasn't completely into either computers, roleplaying games, or both.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

If I could find it, I'd post that Writhe & Shine strip about how the snooty girls in the alterna-trendiest clothes are probably as insecure as everyone else.

Edit: Some years ago, a friend decided to start putting on a regular club night. She invited me and two other friends to DJ along with her, and it was really funny at the time that we sat around making the plans for this goth/industrial night but were all wearing trendy brand name or designer clothes, since none of us look/dress remotely goth or alternative except when on a night out.

There's a lot of crap attached to looks though, in this scene (as undoubtedly in others, of course). I can remember people being rude about Mesh because they would turn up onstage wearing khaki chinos and baseball caps, rather than comedically oversized black jeans or combats.

Edit 2:

Spark! are loving awesome, why did no one tell me?

http://youtu.be/X3bLRWlLPPU

http://youtu.be/nvy12W1Hgu4

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 9, 2012

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
^ The pretentious elitist ones are MORE insecure, tbh. I've never seen that strip.

Heh, yeah this is actually what turned me off about the community (at least clubwise) many times in the past. As if it's not primarily about the music but about image.

I hear Das Bunker in LA isn't much like the above though and are fairly friendly (and nerdy <3) and the crowd is focused on music. (True? I have a hard time believing it).

Great interview, Twiin, especially the Johnny Cash anecdote and the "I try really hard to make sure I’m not just listening to industrial music." The majority of fans in every niche genre across all fandom are like this, I guess, but it's pretty prominent with some music fans that don't care about influences and the history of whatever they're listening to (because it's not cool! :p).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2012

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
This whole discussion reminds me of when I went to Convergence in 2001, which is apparently this huge goth festival that happens annually at different cities around the world. I only went because they had booked Coil to play, and I had been a huge Coil fan for years. Now I love a lot of goth-approved music, but I'm not a goth. I went to the show in, like, jeans and a button-down plaid shirt, and I got the worst vibes from people. Ultimately I don't give a poo poo, but I will admit that it hurts my ability to really explore the music since I tend to swiftly dismiss stuff that gives off those ultra scene vibes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Because of OTHER people going to them, I might actually end up at a couple of gothy/synthpop nights this month with my girlfriend. Took way too much effort just to convince her to go to Vitalic's DJ set at the end.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Twiin posted:

well I was but you know those weekend warriors

I think some of my favourite people at my local industrial night were dorks. I don't know. I mean everyone's a dork. It's just some people wear it differently.

I remember I was at an industrial festival at a small club once, and a bunch of people were mingling on the sidewalk out front. Not enough to crowd the sidewalk and there was plenty of room. I just kept watching people coming down the street cross the other side, pass the club while sort of sideway glancing, and then cross back over after they were past. I found it pretty amusing because we were probably the dorkiest gathering of people around outside of a comic book convention or something.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I remember I was at an industrial festival at a small club once, and a bunch of people were mingling on the sidewalk out front. Not enough to crowd the sidewalk and there was plenty of room. I just kept watching people coming down the street cross the other side, pass the club while sort of sideway glancing, and then cross back over after they were past. I found it pretty amusing because we were probably the dorkiest gathering of people around outside of a comic book convention or something.

From a distance a sidewalk full of goths/punks/rivetheads can easily be mistaken for a group of 2D scrolling beat 'em up antagonists.. they probably didn't feel like punching, kicking and eating turkeys out of trashcans.

...or splatterpunks from robocop 3. No-one wants to be reminded of robocop 3.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Thinking about how small the whole industrial scene has gotten, it's a shame how much really beautiful music is just going to be completely lost to time in 50 years. I can't imagine there are going to be Lusine ICL mp3s floating around in my grandkids' times, or that you'll be able to find a copy of Escape to Reality anywhere. I know it's true with all types of music, but a lot of the time now it seems like I'm the only one listening to some of my favorite records. There are some real gems that have come out of this whole thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love that album. Reminds me, I somehow have never gotten around to checking out Informatik despite loving Din_Fiv and being obsessed with Battery Cage.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Thinking about how small the whole industrial scene has gotten, it's a shame how much really beautiful music is just going to be completely lost to time in 50 years. I can't imagine there are going to be Lusine ICL mp3s floating around in my grandkids' times, or that you'll be able to find a copy of Escape to Reality anywhere. I know it's true with all types of music, but a lot of the time now it seems like I'm the only one listening to some of my favorite records. There are some real gems that have come out of this whole thing.

This is probably how our parents feel about Jimmie Rodgers and Wolfman Jack.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Someone's always going to rescue and dig up music at a later date, though-- even if they're re-contextualizing it or presenting it to an altogether different target audience as some exotic artifact.

Case in point: one of the hipper British techno labels just put out a vinyl edition of material by mid-90s Fifth Colvumn artists Black Rain. They essentially stripped all the tracks with vocals from their 1995 album 1.0, resenquenced the instrumental stuff, put a new cover on it, and hyped it as this lost classic of dark techno. That poo poo sold out in like 2 days, and now Black Rain are a "thing" again.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

chime_on posted:

Someone's always going to rescue and dig up music at a later date, though-- even if they're re-contextualizing it or presenting it to an altogether different target audience as some exotic artifact.

Case in point: one of the hipper British techno labels just put out a vinyl edition of material by mid-90s Fifth Colvumn artists Black Rain. They essentially stripped all the tracks with vocals from their 1995 album 1.0, resenquenced the instrumental stuff, put a new cover on it, and hyped it as this lost classic of dark techno. That poo poo sold out in like 2 days, and now Black Rain are a "thing" again.

Wow, never heard Black Rain before. Just listened to a couple tracks and ordered an old copy of 1.0. Pretty awesome stuff.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics

chime_on posted:

black rain is one of stuart argabright's bands (ike yard, death comet crew, etc.) and that guy has been super hip for like thirty years :confused: fifth column was actually pretty forward thinking and genre-hopping, zalman fishman excepted.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
cf. ~1981, first record on factory's US imprint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSZ-v5gX5w

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
But what I'm saying is that current 20somethings in England buying stuff on Blackest Ever Black are getting this music now because it's been re-contextualized to fit in with stuff that's getting played in clubs right now-- techno nights, not no-wave or industrial nights or whatever. So the music endures, even if it's not in the hands of those who were originally checking it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Woohoo!! Ashbury Heights is back in the studio this month! Also another new female vocalist, a Jenny Forsberg this time. Betting it's this one:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/1527259

Seems like a common name in Sweden though.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'd love to find some industrial club. I always imagined they're all in germany and that I'd go and dress up and rock out to sick industrial poo poo in a club getting wild.

I think my brother and I are two of 10 people who still listen to Industrial in our city.

I wish there were Industrial nights somewhere, god knows there's enough 'Wobble Wednesdays' and other Dub step gigs. Oh and tons of 'Euro Parties' with house music. Where's my Industrial? :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

RizieN posted:

I think my brother and I are two of 10 people who still listen to Industrial in our city.

Ten people is how many sometimes turn up to club nights in my city.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Woohoo!! Ashbury Heights is back in the studio this month! Also another new female vocalist, a Jenny Forsberg this time. Betting it's this one:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/1527259

Seems like a common name in Sweden though.

I always forget that Ashbury Heights is Anders Hagstrom and whichever model he favors at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't believe that's ever been the intention. Yaz just blind-sided him after a show I believe. If I remember correctly, she just announced it on stage after their set. Kari publicly distanced herself from him over his label spat.