Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

willie_dee posted:

I have a new found respect for even the worst MMA journalists.

By actually interviewing a real-live fighter you have leapfrogged to the top 1% of the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

By actually interviewing a real-live fighter you have leapfrogged to the top 1% of the business.

Ha, thanks. I was super nervous about putting myself online like that but jokey comments like that make it feel worth it.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
willie_dee that poo poo made me laugh so hard but you did loving great and the post-production is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I expected

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

willie_dee posted:

Ha, thanks. I was super nervous about putting myself online like that but jokey comments like that make it feel worth it.

Nah man, that video is already in the top 3 things I've enjoyed from my few years reading these threads (one of them being that time a goon handed Jon Fitch a photoshop I did of him). It was really well made too like Save Russian Jews said.

You know how The Fight Nerd tries to be the "funny" mma journalist? Well he stinks and I wish you could actually be in that position. Please move out to the states and get a job interviewing fighters and making poo poo up as you go.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Save Russian Jews posted:

the post-production is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I expected

Yeah, it made all the right whooshes and clanging noises to sound like a real thing, and professional, but it's all an elaborate ruse to get closer to JT

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
the people who told willie dee he was bad or to stop posting make me sick

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Bundt Cake posted:

the people who told willie dee he was bad or to stop posting make me sick

This, this right here.

All the haters need to be purged and banned. Or at least slapped with an embaressing AV/title

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, where did he post it?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
First up, JT. Next up, UFC press credentials.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

attackmole posted:

Baby steps, BAMMA first.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

attackmole posted:

This is the dream.

Actually the dream would be UFC press credentials for James Thompsons first UFC fight!

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

willie_dee posted:

This is the dream.

Actually the dream would be UFC press credentials for James Thompsons first UFC fight!

Don't look past Bob Sapp! Learn from Ernesto Hoost's mistakes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

This is one one weirdly unfocused article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093917-strikeforce-why-american-society-needs-ronda-rousey

quote:

American society needs Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. More specifically, millions of young girls need her as a role model, someone to look up to and emulate.

Think about it.

America faces a cultural crisis regarding the current generation of young women. Who do they have to look up to? What inspirational females are there for them? What heroes do they have?

Is there a Marie Curie to inspire them to study science? Is there a Billie Jean King to get them to believe they are equal in athletic (and societal) standing to males?

No.

Today there are only the idiotic ravings of the Kardashian family, Snooki, and the classless dredges of society displayed on "16 and pregnant."

But there is an answer to this cultural malaise and her name is Ronda Rousey.

Rousey is the perfect role model for a young girl growing up in our increasingly decadent society.

She is a hard worker, as indicated by her dedication to training and her Olympic bronze medal in Judo.

She's also quite witty, a silver-tongued devil who some people love to hate. This wit is the product of intelligence and an understanding of how the world works.

Rousey knew being nice didn't sell tickets and generate press, so she wasn't nice. Some would say that this "questionable" moral fiber of Rousey makes her a poor role model but those people aren't seeing the big picture.

Rousey did those things because they were good for her career. Also, what's wrong with having an edge? Women should have a bit of fire to them lest they always be at the beck and call of an overbearing man.

Okay, I see where you're going with this but what a really weird way of going about it... not to mention terrible ways of structuring your articles.

quote:

Another point to make about Rousey is that she has the intelligence to understand how to promote herself, yet she never completed high school or went to college. This seems like another fact that puts her out of the role model category but, again, that's a myopic viewpoint.

What

quote:

The American education system is undergoing a paradigm shift. No longer is a college degree going to get you a good or even decent job; degrees are swift becoming not worth the paper they're printed on yet the prices of obtaining them are constantly skyrocketing (some call this the education bubble).

How the gently caress did this article go from Ronda Rousey as a role model to a critique of the American educational system?

quote:

Ronda Rousey is a role model that reflects this change in the world. Her success can teach children that they can find their own path outside of the decaying American education system.

What the hell

quote:

Furthermore, Rousey's not-so-inconsiderable looks play a part in why she's a potential role model. She didn't obtain those looks through plastic surgery or some form of eating disorder. She is natural and her figure was obtained by simply working hard.

Are you loving serious

quote:

America needs her more then people know; Rousey is the hero that American girls need right now, just not the one they're bombarded with.

MMA Journalism ™

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 9, 2012

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yeah, why should fighters who actually graduated from college then went on to be successful fighters be role models?

I hate that article so much and whoever wrote it. I may need to quit reading this thread because it only upsets me.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
girls should want to be like ronda because she is a natural beauty, and judge themselves based on this babe who works out for a living. makes sense.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
That article was like watching someone get in a fender bender and respond by driving off a loving cliff.

Yeah...that car analogy made sense to me...

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Captain Log posted:

Well then it sounds like you may have a future in MMA journalism! :v:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

That article was like watching someone get in a fender bender and respond by driving off a loving cliff.

I don't see how ragequitting fits in with the article

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470909

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://youtu.be/hJdWNSiknow - Part one of my interview is here on youtube.

Anyone got any advice/tips/comments/criticisms?

Also, how best do I go about getting people to see it? At the moment I am going to post it on Twitter, Reddit, Sherdog, The Underground. Any tips on this front?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
willie, have your camera guy invest in a tripod. All that moving around makes this really hard to watch.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's super quiet, so I turned my volume up to 3 times normal volume, and then loud things happened. Also yeah, have one fixed camera and one roving camera, and make your cue cards, the overt phallus of the broadcaster, more firm and rigid.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

How the gently caress did this article go from Ronda Rousey as a role model to a critique of the American educational system?
I actually kind of agree with the central point of this article that it is good for girls to have role models who aren't in traditional female gender roles (Danica McKellar is pretty cool) but you're right that the article does a terrible job expressing the sentiment.

The educational bubble is a real (if contentious) thing, but it doesn't belong in an article about Ronda Rousey.

I think that article infected me, this post is written in the same stilted style.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

This is one one weirdly unfocused article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093917-strikeforce-why-american-society-needs-ronda-rousey

Seriously, what the hell is going on in this mess. He starts off with a perfectly valid point and then just kind of completely drops the ball. He specifically points out people like Kim Kardashian and Snooki that are famous for nothing and are shameless self promoters, but then goes on to point to Ronda's self promoting as an asset. I think this isn't really the greatest angle to go with right off the bat.

Then out of no where he's talking about the educational system. He doesn't even mention that rousey didn't graduate high school, I only figured it out from a commenter.

I would have gone with something along the lines of what Grifter said. Shes a rising female star in a very male dominated sport. She's hard working, tough, and knows how to promote herself as such, which is why she should be considered a role model.

also, this was posted on bloody elbow and made me chuckle.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://colossalconcerns.wordpress.com/ - MMA Journalism by a guy who knows the business of MMA first hand, James Thompson!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ariel Helwani posted:

True story: my final in one of my speech classes at SU was about why Jericho would be the 1st ever undisputed champ at Vengeance. Got an A.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

FrontRowBrian posted:

bullshit. I had several rock solid sources who are right 99% of the time.. including within UFC. Even Dave Meltzer, on his site, said I was absolutely right when I reported it. Sometimes things don't go exactly the way they're supposed to. I'm not the first human being to be wrong about something. But you forgot ALL the times I've been right.

Jason has it out for me anyway. Petty.

Emphasis is his.

Felt like this thread needed a bump for the most electrifying man in all of MMA news reporting.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
I find it hard to poo poo on FrontRowBrian when major MMA "news" sites give us staff-written articles like this: "Junior dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko is the UFC 146 main event to make."

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

I find it hard to poo poo on FrontRowBrian when major MMA "news" sites give us staff-written articles like this: "Junior dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko is the UFC 146 main event to make."

Do you like this story?
FACEBOOK: 1,463 people like this. Be the first of your friends.

Hahahahahaa my motivation to actually do something with sasmma.com grows every day.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

Do you like this story?
FACEBOOK: 1,463 people like this. Be the first of your friends.

Hahahahahaa my motivation to actually do something with sasmma.com grows every day.

I will overwrite the poo poo out of some opinion pieces with the purplest prose and the most danging.

Trust me William, you know I'm a friend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Remind me what FRB got in trouble for? He broke that Silva x Sonnen was off? Or that it was relocated?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kimbo305 posted:

Remind me what FRB got in trouble for? He broke that Silva x Sonnen was off? Or that it was relocated?

He said that Dana was on the verge of firing Anderson Silva.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MassRayPer posted:

He said that Dana was on the verge of firing Anderson Silva.

...which he said was confirmed because Dana said "We had some back and fourths about it..." or something during today's presser

FrontRowBrian is a worm

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

FrontRowBrian tells people his dad works at Nintendo

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I will overwrite the poo poo out of some opinion pieces with the purplest prose and the most danging.

Trust me William, you know I'm a friend.

I will take all submissions gladly when it's up, especicially from you BOXC

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
And Vermont makes 46 (also DC regulates MMA, so I guess we're at 47/51?).

So, to update,

States that do not regulate MMA:
-Alaska (no athletic commission, but MMA is legal and events are run regularly)
-Montana (athletic commission does not regulate MMA, but MMA is legal and fighters must be licensed; licensing is mostly just a signed physician's evaluation)
-Connecticut (MMA explicitly illegal)
-New York (MMA explicitly illegal)

Btw, the active Connecticut bill just passed what is probably the final committee vote by a 13-1 vote before it is brought to the Senate floor. If it passes the Senate it goes directly to the House and then the Governor.

In like 4 months or so, New York might become the last state in the country where MMA is explicitly illegal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Thanks culinary union!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

mmajournalism.jpg

Bloodstain Lane and FrontRowBrian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

-Atom- posted:

mmajournalism.jpg

Bloodstain Lane and FrontRowBrian

Which is which? Does it matter?

• Locked thread