Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

John Carstairs posted:

Made a couple more Dino-Riders:

The Rulon version of the raptor one. Slightly more inspired by the original toy from the '80s. The brain box is... less than perfect, but I'm still working with my extremely limited brick supply. It's surprisingly secure as long as the raptor stays horizontal. ...I also think it looks slightly less silly in person.

The butt view. ...I really need to bricklink some Ninjago / Atlantis villain figs for more accurate Rulons.

View without the minifig.

I gave up trying to fit a minifig rider onto the coelophysis without it looking silly and just turned it into some kind of recon dino-drone.

A little console for it to transmit the data it collects to. Laser gun added to make the shot more actiony.

Man, I can't get over how awesome these are. You gotta tackle the T-rex or Bronto...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

thebardyspoon posted:

Wouldn't that just be the gangster body or panicking business man body with a minifig head spun around and some hair covering up the face on the back?

The Question wears a fedora, so unless you got a completely blank minifig head the other face would still show on the back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sainsbury in the UK has those little SW battle packs (like 8084) for half price at £4.99. :toot: look in the seasonal aisle, rather than toys.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Travis343 posted:

The Question wears a fedora, so unless you got a completely blank minifig head the other face would still show on the back.

There are some blank fig heads floating around but I've only ever seen them in fleshtone from licensed sets (why do they do this?), black, and trans-green from inside some of the alien conquest brains.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Funkmaster General posted:

There are some blank fig heads floating around but I've only ever seen them in fleshtone from licensed sets (why do they do this?), black, and trans-green from inside some of the alien conquest brains.

Doesn't Grand Emporium come with blank yellow heads for mannequins?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Travis343 posted:

I got a few blank black heads from the pick a brick lego site for like .25 a piece. Using them for the Godzilla suit :)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Blank yellow heads were common before the articulated minifigs were produced. The effect was rather creepy, but there's a bunch of them for sale on bricklink for 1 cent and up.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Blank yellow heads were common before the articulated minifigs were produced. The effect was rather creepy, but there's a bunch of them for sale on bricklink for 1 cent and up.

I knew about these but had no idea they were the same mold as the current ones. Good to know!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For any Canadian LEGO lovers here, Chapters-Indogo Books is having a sale this month for 20%-25% off select LEGO products.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I wish the power functions stuff weren't so big and bulky. Having to fit a great big box into a train is a real pain, and the IR receiver isn't much better. They try their best but they really don't fit particularly well into the Emerald Night.

Currently working on a little narrow gauge shunter. Looks like a scaled down version of my BR shunter so far. I may drop the size of the engine compartment and style it more like a Russian TU4.

I dream of one day having enough Lego to build a big railway layout and something like this would be a little narrow gauge mining train shunting coal out of a mine. I almost bought the Alien Conquest mothership to get the narrow gauge track for this, but I've really not got the space at the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuxM-avNfLo

Hello police? I'd like to report a crime against LEGO.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
BEATEN BY A MOTHERFUCKER.

I heard some guys talking about Bricked.

The last episode was just put up on the website.

http://www.tested.com/the-amazing-test-bricked-finale-part-2/47-794/

Skip to the very very very end. (You need to be a member to see this.)

If you follow Will/Norms Twitter you know what happens. If you don't, I ain't spoiling it.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
On the off chance someone here hasn't seen this.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75863482@N06/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

LET'S REENACT A SCENE FROM THE MOVIE!

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
Just rediscovered LEGO this past year after not really paying attention since I was like 15 or so. (34 now). Wife grabbed me a Troll's Mountain Fortress a year or 2 ago that we will finally build this weekend. I've also bought a bunch of Atlantis/Pharaoh/Alien and castle stuff. I'm annoyed that I came in at a bad time and missed out on stuff like the King's Castle and a few other pieces.

I'm going to this local LEGO store this weekend in hopes of beginning an awesome skeleton army to attack my knight dudes and dwarves. It should be really exciting as I've never been to an ALL LEGO place before. I'll hopefully be able to find/afford some sweet stuff to add to my collection and take some pics.

Any advice on checking local Goodwill stores and such for bulk bags or opened sets? I managed to find a sealed SW one once. But nothing else since I started looking. is that stuff just typically with the toys?

I'm probably rambling at this point.. Any advice for maximizing my finds and stuff would be appreciated. Awesome thread though, been reading it forever now.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JD-Smith posted:

Any advice on checking local Goodwill stores and such for bulk bags or opened sets? I managed to find a sealed SW one once. But nothing else since I started looking. is that stuff just typically with the toys?

I've only managed to find one LEGO set at Goodwill and it was a Castle set from 1990. It was missing bricks, but still had all the figs and horses, which was rad.

However, Goodwill does get Target returns and close-outs. I've seen a decent amount of Hero Factory (and older Bionicle tubes) float through GW, and they may have had the Prince of Persia sets that didn't wind up at T.J. Maxx a long while back.

I suppose Hero Factory counts as LEGO, it just doesn't happen to be what I look for when I'm thrifting.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
I'm just hoping to find a big sack of assorted crap to go through with lots of figures and cool stuff. The thing I found was a heavily reduced Cad Bane Speeder which was new just dented box. I'm not very excited about prequel stuff but can't complain.

I'd love to randomly find some Fright Knight stuff or the Black Falcon stuff I had when I was a kid too.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Kazmirski posted:

Man, I can't get over how awesome these are. You gotta tackle the T-rex or Bronto...

Way ahead of you on that one...

I actually had this one about half-finished when I posted those last two (At least partially because I needed their parts for it...):

A Rulon, naturally, T-Rex. I believe all the guns can be aimed along at least one axis.

And unlike the others, it's a two-seater. This guy's pretty well-armed to defend the dinosaur's backside. The side guns rotate vertically, and the larger top turret swivels horizontally.

The brain box, heavily inspired by the one from the original series. The guns on it can be aimed, of course, via the dinosaur's head movements.

On the underside, there's a small automated anti-personnel turret to keep lighter targets at bay.

The laser-equipped command chair and the rear turret take care of threats approaching from the sides.

And a profile shot. ...I don't think that's its best angle. Note the not-quite-parallel posture in honor of the original. I'm sad to say that two Spyrius Recon Robots were sacrificed to create this monster. ...I didn't even know I had two. Also, one of the engines from my Blacktron Renegade.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That is the raddest loving thing

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamnit why am I so broke right now, I would order all of the loving Dino sets from shop.lego.com for that double VIP points.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I was skeptical when I saw this pop up on imgur but yep it's real

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

JD-Smith posted:

I'm probably rambling at this point.. Any advice for maximizing my finds and stuff would be appreciated. Awesome thread though, been reading it forever now.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com

You'll almost never find anything good in a Goodwill anymore besides clothes and plates, they've learned they can make way more selling stuff online. It's still a great resource for bulk Lego, just watch out for stores that sort out all the minifigs to sell separately :argh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Why do so many shots of figs have the rounded part of the hand pointing up? That's the bottom!!

Am I just a massive sperg for caring about this or what?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A long time ago, maybe when I war around 8 or 9, me and my friend Eric had a giant LEGO city. It was populated with little LEGO men, each had a job and occupation. We had government buildings, an airport, a football stadium, there were plotlines, backstabbing, and its own monetary system. It was built in Eric's basement, we played with it for years, and it grew as we did. Eventually it grew to 6 feet long and every night we had to pack it up into sections and put it in boxes.

We were 12 year olds when Eric's dad started making threats, "Either you get rid of those god drat LEGOs or I'll get rid of them myself!" I'd always hear him yelling. We ignored him, we both knew, and even his dad knew, tearing apart that city would be like tearing out our hearts. My friends that had moved away would come back to visit sometimes, only to see Eric and I playing with our LEGO city, they thought we were fools, we thought they were tools.

Eventually our city could grow no bigger, Eric's dad convinced my mom and they both decided to stop buying us LEGO sets. That was fine, we had the city, OUR city, we only needed our population of 25 LEGO citizens and ourselves.

Alas, one day questions were asked, "Why are you always elected Mayor?", "Why do you have 80% of the city's money?", "gently caress your war bonds, the repair crew will refuse to work for you", "Oh yeah? Now you're wanted by the police." We both stewed at opposite sides of the city, my LEGO character was forced to live in an apartment and could only come out at night. Then the unthinkable happened, I came into Eric's basement the next day to find my character had been jailed, his assets seized, and soon the apartment complex was going to be destroyed and rebuilt into a movie theater. "You can't do this to me!" I screamed, my words falling on deaf ears, "I am the Mayor, I also control the police chief, since you have come into illegal funds I have been forced to put you under custody." He remarked, referencing how I made a ton of money stealing the lights off the police building. "drat it Eric, you know I'm half Arab, you don't want to gently caress with Arabs." He ignored me, he made his decision, and I made mine.

I pretended to go along with his plans, fine, he owns the Mayor, the police department and the football stadium, but I owned countless civilians, the tow truck/repair company.... And the airport. "Eric, it seems we have some special bureaucrats coming in from Yugoslavia today."
"Great! Send them over to my penthouse."
"Oh, they're already on their way!"
I picked up the giant plane from the airport runway, and chucked it as hard as I could at Eric's penthouse. The airplane exploded into pieces but the building was relatively unharmed. Eric was in shock for a few seconds, looking at the debris strewn across the roads and the football stadium. I didn't get the desired effect I wanted though so I kicked the drat penthouse over and blew up 3 stories. Eric started screaming but I wasn't done yet, the repair crew sped towards the police station in their tow trucks.
"Looks like we're a wrecking crew today boys!"
I exclaimed, as I blew one of the walls out of the police station. My character ran out into the back of the truck and we headed for the docks. Eric looked as if he was having a heart attack, but he quickly recovered and yelled.
"YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT OUT ALIVE YOU BASTARD!!"
He pulled out the military vehicles he had stashed away and began chasing after me and my men. He took a quick right while I was going straight towards the docks though. Suddenly "Boosh" and "kksshhh" noises emanated form Eric as I looked back and saw his tanks destroying the repair company shop, the apartment complex, and some civilian buildings.
"You think you're so clever Eric? Too bad my men have placed bombs on all the structural points of the stadium."

The football stadium, our crowning achievement, sitting in the middle of the city, higher than most buildings, taking what we guessed was 20% of the city's interior space. We worked on the design and function of that building for what seemed like days.
"No."
I heard him whimper out as I stood up over the stadium.
"You asked for this."
I stomped the stadium over and over again until there were only giant pieces of rubble left in the middle of the city.

That was it, the largest building, the penthouse, was destroyed, the stadium was gone, civilian houses and businesses were dismantled, no more repair shop or police station. The only building left standing was the hospital.
I collapsed on the couch, my fit of testosterone subsided, after yelling for a while, Eric sat next to me, and sat quiet for a while.
"Is this why 9/11 happened, is this what politics does?"
"I guess so, maybe things got too big for us to handle"
"Do things get too big for the government to handle?"
"I hope we're not alive to find out, it didn't turn out well for the LEGO city citizens."

And we sat for a while, until Eric started cleaning up the pieces, and I got down to help him, we put all the destroyed pieces in a giant LEGO bin, put both of our characters in the hospital on the only two hospital beds, and packed the city away for the last time in our lives.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can tell you from bitter experience that the ink on minifigures does not hold up well against nail polish removers, so at least the face part of The Question will be alright with a little elbow grease. The issue is with my kid for loving such a marginal goddamn character, and LEGO for not putting out more awesome DC sets.

This weekend is most likely going to be spent either grabbing the Two-Face heist set, or seeing where I can grab the Joker funhouse set for a decent price.

Given how bad my wallet's been hit over the last few months, I'm beginning to curse my kid for loving LEGO as much as I do. Those Creator kits are so frigging awesome and fun to build.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
I saw that How It's Made episode for Legos and when the factory worker showed off the painted-on graphics on the blocks and explained that they take pride doing this so that little kids don't have to apply decals I was impressed. "Hot drat, how considerate."

Then I got my Lego Recycle Truck. "Oh, poo poo, there's decals. Oh well, I'm an adult, it's fine! :downs:" I took to assembling the set and finally applying the decals.

That license plate is so crooked, and that recycling icon is so off-center.

My Aspergers. :qq::spergin::qq:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

A Sassy Dog posted:

That license plate is so crooked, and that recycling icon is so off-center.

My Aspergers. :qq::spergin::qq:

Use tweezers next time!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only thing I've put the decals on is the Lunar Limo, because I'm never taking that thing apart. Everything else has been saved, but not used, because decals are decidedly un-LEGO. You can't re-use a sticker.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I still can't believe that happened. It's as if several thousand bricks suddenly cried out in terror, and then were silenced.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

John Carstairs posted:

Way ahead of you on that one...

Truly impressive! I'm amazed how well you recreated some of the details on these sets. Now if you were to also tackle Air Raiders....

Thanks for posting these!

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
But it's Lego, it just means you get to build them all over again.

Admittedly this time around it'll mean finding that grey piece you need from among the other 8000 grey pieces in the pile, but eventually you'd get there.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
When it comes to lego, true genius is 1% inspiration and 99% eye strain.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Why do so many shots of figs have the rounded part of the hand pointing up? That's the bottom!!

Am I just a massive sperg for caring about this or what?

Seems like the vast majority of figs I've purchased come with the hand that way from the factory. I guess some people don't bother to turn them around.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kazy posted:

Doesn't Grand Emporium come with blank yellow heads for mannequins?

Nope, they're regular heads you just turn around.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Megadace posted:

And we sat for a while, until Eric started cleaning up the pieces, and I got down to help him, we put all the destroyed pieces in a giant LEGO bin, put both of our characters in the hospital on the only two hospital beds, and packed the city away for the last time in our lives.

I never had anything on that scale, but when I played Legos with my best friend as a kid, well, I definitely see where you're coming from. The difference is that we would have ended up throwing punches, haha.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Megadace posted:

"Is this why 9/11 happened, is this what politics does?"
"I guess so, maybe things got too big for us to handle"
"Do things get too big for the government to handle?"
"I hope we're not alive to find out, it didn't turn out well for the LEGO city citizens."

This is beautiful. :911:

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
I just stumbled across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6F2nNAUovU

At about 1:10 the ferris wheel starts. I have no idea how the train tracks are even holding on to the rest of the ferris wheel. I've studied it for a while. The longer I watch the more hosed my brain becomes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Final Gloom posted:

I just stumbled across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6F2nNAUovU

At about 1:10 the ferris wheel starts. I have no idea how the train tracks are even holding on to the rest of the ferris wheel. I've studied it for a while. The longer I watch the more hosed my brain becomes.

I'm assuming there's a set of wheels on both sides of the rail, like on a tubular roller coaster.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Oh hell no. Where's the downvote button?

If I ever want to remember why, even in a forum flush with manchild obsessions, this particular obsession is verbotten, I just need to read the comments on that one. Although thankfully a couple of people have pointed out that it ain't going to happen for a variety of reasons.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Gravy Jones posted:

Oh hell no. Where's the downvote button?

If I ever want to remember why, even in a forum flush with manchild obsessions, this particular obsession is verbotten, I just need to read the comments on that one. Although thankfully a couple of people have pointed out that it ain't going to happen for a variety of reasons.

I could almost see the Apple Store happening, but it would be really, really boring and I can't see Lego actually supporting it.

As for the My Little Pony idea, that at least, will never happen because Hasbro would explode from every pore with lawsuits... not to mention Hasbro's knockoff lego bricks that probably make Lego sour on several levels.