Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually that was a robot. Also, all things considered, I kind wish it was just a corpse.

Why do they always store incredibly dangerous computer equipment in the ai room. First they stick a Geth in there and now a Cerberus fembot. They're just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Bruceski posted:

For the Hanar one in particular:
--Get quest
--Go into Spectre hub
--go to the terminals, activate hanar embassy tracking from the free one.
--Get sent to check the embassy's records, that's on the same floor, to the left of the elevator by the guy looking for his son.
--Check outgoing communications (or something), that's in the non-Normandy docks, just inside the entrance.
--Check recent arrivals, opposite end of the docking bay.
--Check communications again, back at the elevator.
--Back to the embassies, the first non-Spectre terminal.
--Sit back and watch the show.

It's confusing because the docks terminals will show up from the promenade for some reason, above the apartment area. Took me a bit to confirm I couldn't get up another level somehow.

I think this breaks if you leave the citadel before you finish it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This morning I was thinking about my problem with incorrect faces on my two me1/me2 characters. I remembered I'd posted their me2 face codes in an old thread so I searched like mad and found it!

I reimported one of them and went to customize the face. The code was already there!

:argh:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I laughed my rear end off at the fact that there's a VI for sale for the sole purpose of keeping your fish alive.

And then of course I bought it, extortionist prices be damned! Shepard's lovenasium cant be full of dead fish.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Birudojin posted:

You guys might not believe it, but Stan Woo is actually not even a bad guy, nor is his primary job community management.

I can't imagine the daily insanity he has to endure and as a customer service veteran I have always had the utmost respect for him. He is a true gladiator, fighting on the front lines but unfortunately with little appreciation and constant insults. :hist101:

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

SolarFire2 posted:

I laughed my rear end off at the fact that there's a VI for sale for the sole purpose of keeping your fish alive.

And then of course I bought it, extortionist prices be damned! Shepard's lovenasium cant be full of dead fish.

I've probably spent at least 100k credits on the aquarium and the model ships. There's an eel that costs 10k by itself. I have a veritable ecosystem in that drat tank.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

white house negro posted:

I think this breaks if you leave the citadel before you finish it.
Yeah,i think this happened with me.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
For all of you guys talking about "Never running into Harbinger"

He's Actually the Sovereign class Reaper who cuts you off from getting to the Beam during the Battle For Earth and singlehandedly wipes out what's left of Hammer Force, drat near killing Shepard in the process. He's the only one with the glowing yellow eyes after all.

They do Outright Say that he's Broken off from the main battle and is headed straight your way not long before this happens.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Let's say I import a save from ME1 into 2 and wanted to change some of the things I had done in the 1. When I import it and get to the first chance to save can I just open up that file in gibbed and tick off the ones I want in the mass effect 1 tab and then reload the save ingame? I notice at the bottom of gibbed it says "editing these values will only affect anything if you import this save as a new game." This is why I ask if its just a fools errand to take this short cut instead of replaying 1. I really don't want to replay 1.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Let's say I import a save from ME1 into 2 and wanted to change some of the things I had done in the 1. When I import it and get to the first chance to save can I just open up that file in gibbed and tick off the ones I want in the mass effect 1 tab and then reload the save ingame? I notice at the bottom of gibbed it says "editing these values will only affect anything if you import this save as a new game." This is why I ask if its just a fools errand to take this short cut instead of replaying 1. I really don't want to replay 1.

You can just tick the box that marks it as a clear-game save and restart with it on NG+ to make sure all the flags register.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Say, is anyone else having issues with importing a Mass Effect 2 character? When I chose the "Import" option I don't have any available. I -did- download the character i'm trying to import from Mass Effect Saves if that makes any difference. I tried putting the file in both the Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 saves folder under one of the odd little character folders with the numbers and such. Is anyone else having this problem or have any idea how to fix it?

Figures, I finally get the game working and I can't get my character imported. Geh. I'm hesitant to go through and actually beat ME2 again when I might not even be able to import her. Thats really.. really lame if I have to be generic, romanceless, Wrexless shephard.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So, I have about 3100 Galactic readiness, I am at the Mission to invade cereberus' base Can I still get over 4k?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Is the mission that says "committing themselves to the attack" a one-way trip to the end of the game, or will I still have room to boost my Galactic Readiness to max in multiplayer afterwards?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Seriously? The loving "You can't click or use any powers randomly as gently caress in battle" bug returns? loving hell.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I feel like this is probably clear, but I have to ask because it seems like it shouldn't work.

But can I really used Gibbed's PC save editors to make an ME2 PC save with all of my choices I've made in ME1/2, and convert that to import onto my 360? Because if so, I'm about to abandon this playthrough because I feel like I'm missing so much not having my choices from previous ME games.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone else's Vega a giant coward?

Like, he will literally not fire a shot and hide behind cover eternally, and the only thing he responds to is throwing a grenade, no movement or focus fire function.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I stayed away from the demo but I guess there were clothing unlocks if you played it. Without starting an argument about the unlocks themselves, could somebody please tell me if I can still get them and/or how long it takes to unlock them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I'm having a conversation with Liara right now and my head is turned all the way to the side, staring at her bed. It is hilarious.

edit: ok now both of them are staring the other direction, towards the droid. This is a strange conversation.

I think in that conversation they're both tracking the drone around the room. It's pretty funny, probably a stuck script state or something.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Hahe I just noticed that EDI-Bot has cameltoe.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Literal sex-bot.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I have heard a lot of talk about Insanity on this game being harder than ME2, but I feel the opposite so far - yes enemies have better AI and more tools (grenades :argh:), but so do you.

Granted I imported so I have some powers fleshed out, but my Vanguard just charges and novas everything every 1.2 seconds, occasionally I shoot some pistol shots while waiting for a cooldown, Cerberus doesn't stand a chance and my squadmates almost don't matter. I've died a couple times, 90% of them are when I charge into a grenade or there's a turret around the corner. 10% are the "can't get a lock" charge not working.

Basically put away the shotgun, spec charge and nova for power synergies/recharge, and ABC.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
So the biggest feature of the entire series- importing the same character across all 3 games- wasn't even playtested by the developers, and everybody's still defending this with "well your expectations were too high". I was wrong, there is no limit to how low people will stoop in defending lazy media.

somebody posted:

Demon's Souls is a great example of doing a game right!
:negative:

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

TannhauserGate posted:

So the biggest feature of the entire series- importing the same character across all 3 games- wasn't even playtested by the developers, and everybody's still defending this with "well your expectations were too high". I was wrong, there is no limit to how low people will stoop in defending lazy media.

What really gets me about that is that somehow ME2 can deal with lack of a face code for importing if that is the problem, so i am confused why ME3 can't extract whatever raw face data ME2 did.

I love the look and feel of this game and the combat is MILES ahead of ME1, but I think such a story critical piece should have gotten more priority

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Has anyone heard anything about a saves database for me3? I moved and sold my old computers but didn't save my games, but I'd like to start with something close to my main me2 save which had my me1 games imported, too.

Edit: oh, the old site has them now? Sweet.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Nephilm posted:

Literal sex-bot.

The best line in the game is Jack's "Nice body, now you look like a sex-bot, instead of a sex-toy."

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

doo doo thief posted:

The best line in the game is Jack's "Nice body, now you look like a sex-bot, instead of a sex-toy."

I preferred the line about recycling the air, although what made that was the look on Shepard's face. Should have screencapped it when I had the chance.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TannhauserGate posted:

Birudojin has posted a few times regarding this, it's hardly lazy media according to him.

Birudojin posted:

That's because you probably don't have one unfortunately. ME1 didn't have codes, so your ME1->ME2 import, if you didn't make a new face, also won't have one. Consequently, there's no code to import into ME3 :(

It sucks, but to claim that it's due to a lack of effort or testing in ME3 isn't true - a lot of people put a LOT of time into trying to ensure faces would import as correctly as possible, given we completely redid all of the face assets and slider data. If there's any bug, it's in ME2.

If you have your ME2 face/save, and can access Gibbed, you can try the method linked here:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9661093

Birudojin posted:

I believe it's all through conversation, when you reach various points in their personal narratives.

It's true about the trilogy part, but that's also greatly oversimplifying things. Everything about the savegame format, game content versioning, character data, plot data structure and so forth has changed on each title, and it's not as simple as just directly reading in an old ME1/ME2 save and being able to import data. Barring a crystal ball, game code/content made back in 2005 won't always translate perfectly to a game in a vastly modified engine in 2012, or provide all of the information you would like to have. I assure you, I'd much prefer we could just simplify things that much - it would make my job a TON easier, as well as for most of the rest of the dev team :)

No worries - I can understand being upset, especially for people with a special "canon" Shepard they're attached to :)

Your save should be in a path like C:\Users\<your name>\My Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save\<savegame career>\, not under Steam :)

Not that this fixes the error from occuring, but:

The issue you're running into is, as you said, something we ran into during development/testing, when trying to ensure that people going from ME1->ME3 would be able to do so, which is why there is a prompt for the error rather than it failing silently; given time, and the ability to prioritize zots towards this rather than, say, fixing some of the more frequent crashes or other issues, we might be able to add a formal patch for this, but as I said earlier, it would be a case of programmatically generating a code based off of the raw binary face data, not recovering any pre-existing code. It's probably doable, given time, but it's going to boil down to having the right programmers/QA/production/etc available, which was in tight supply during development, and what other work is being done.

That said, while I can understand you're frustrated, I (and others) also spent literally man months of time doing work specifically on nothing but adding code to support the feature and creating and importing saves over, and over, and over, and over... (in ME1, ME2 *and ME3), so the claim that face importing was lazed through is something I'm personally not going to generally take as a serious argument. That is not to say that save import has no bugs that I wish weren't there, this one included - I know of several, ranging from bad conversation conditionals, bad plotstate imports, bad ME1/ME2 source data not matching what the player did, and so forth (and I'm sure there are more :().

Anyways, time for me to head to bed (and then some). I can try to (hopefully) answer some more non-spoilery stuff tomorrow.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Make sure you bring Javik along on a mission to the (late-game spoilers)asari homeworld.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Birudojin has posted a few times regarding this, it's hardly lazy media according to him.

That doesn't explain why ME2 was able to grab a codeless ME1 face, but ME3 can't do the same.

Basically it's a long winded way of saying "we had other priorities" which, while I appreciate the honesty, I wish it had been done differently.

M6thrXeat
Feb 18, 2012

I bet if that puck was a hamburger you'd stop it!
That drat demo ruined my save transfer, was so excited Wrex was back on the squad, then remembered my save was only ME2 and default Wrex died on vermire.

drat, Bioware.
Thanks whoever started hosting Mass Effect saves.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Any idea what happens when you run out of fuel this time around? So far as I can tell, it just dumps you back at the mass relay with full fuel again :raise:

e; dumps you back at the mass relay system with 0 fuel, actually

Murodese fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 7, 2012

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Just read that Reputation link and I am loving the changes they made, so now I feel comfortable about letting me stressed-out super Paragon lose her poo poo every once in awhile.

I have a question though on a code inserted into the Collector's Edition:
Its on the insert that says "Activate your Collector's Edition Content"

At the bottom it says "Coming Soon... Enter the code below and unlock a powerful new squad member and learn about the last days of the Prothean Empire." Check MassEffect.com for more details and availability.

Where the heck is that information? I looked at the website and I must be completely missing it.

I'm a bit irritated it isn't for the Ashes DLC.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I'm having a conversation with Liara right now and my head is turned all the way to the side, staring at her bed. It is hilarious.

edit: ok now both of them are staring the other direction, towards the droid. This is a strange conversation.
Between these sorts of glitches, janky stuff like the running animations and poor lip syncing, and conversations with the crew that in ME2 would be actual cutscenes where in ME3 they are not, it feels like they either hosed up their animation system or flat out didn't have the time to properly animate this stuff.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Svanja posted:

I'm a bit irritated it isn't for the Ashes DLC.

It is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you modify the coelesed.ini is there an editor somewhere?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you modify the coelesed.ini is there an editor somewhere?

http://wenchy.net/me3-coalesced-utility

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

cbservo posted:

It is.

Aaaah! Then how the heck do I redeem it? I've tried it at Social Bioware and it wouldn't take it. I will attempt it again.

::UPDATE:: Ok, found the Product Redemption area in Options in Origin.

Thanks so much!

Svanja fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 7, 2012

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

^^^ Well, okey dokey then!

Svanja posted:

Aaaah! Then how the heck do I redeem it? I've tried it at Social Bioware and it wouldn't take it. I will attempt it again.
Are you on Xbox360? You just redeem the code outside of the game.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Jiro Kage posted:

Has anyone heard anything about a saves database for me3? I moved and sold my old computers but didn't save my games, but I'd like to start with something close to my main me2 save which had my me1 games imported, too.

Edit: oh, the old site has them now? Sweet.

I own masseffect3saves.com (and run masseffectsaves/masseffect2saves.com) but I was going to wait until I finish ME3 myself so I know what the database needs to look like. Please don't tell me, I don't want spoilers. It might be a week or two until I finish the game at this rate between my actual job and all the work running the site right now is.

M6thrXeat posted:

Thanks whoever started hosting Mass Effect saves.

You're welcome. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty psyched that the site got mentioned yesterday on The Escapist and Rock Paper Shotgun along with about a half dozen other places!

Annakie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

It's pathetic and makes playing 3 much harder. Bioware is such a terrible developer with an even worse attitude.

Spoilers
http://i41.tinypic.com/1in0i9.png

Welp, thanks SA Last Read for Firefox, I've now had the entire game spoiled for me. gently caress

• Locked thread