Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the subject of ME1 face codes not transferring, I think it works like this.

Between ME1 and ME2 they didn't tweak the face rig that much. Pretty much all of the original options were there in their original places, but not everything was a perfect translation. This meant ME1 faces could be just dropped in without being rebuilt and didn't need (or get) any references or edits (in fact, there wasn't a mechanism in ME2 to edit an existing face, suggesting that the settings were kind of "fire and forget" in ME1 and didn't leave proper references for editing). There wasn't a subroutine, however, that then reviewed the ME1 settings and spat out a face code for later reference.

The problem with this is that they *did* make changes to the faces for ME3. Necessarily this means that ME3 has to look at the face code for your ME2 character and translate that into the new face rig, which then has to be editable. But ME3's rig can only translate from ME2's rig because the code is present, while ME1's lacks the necessary references to make the translation. Furthermore, they don't have a mechanism that can detect if the face is from ME1 so they can't (at least not yet) make a proper translator that can look at the ME1 settings (whatever or wherever they may be) and then retrofit those to the ME3 rig.

Spergy guesswork on my end, but I think I understand the problem. Coding myopia six years ago is biting them in the rear end today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

On the subject of ME1 face codes not transferring, I think it works like this.

Between ME1 and ME2 they didn't tweak the face rig that much. Pretty much all of the original options were there in their original places, but not everything was a perfect translation. This meant ME1 faces could be put in without needing too many references or edits (in fact, there wasn't a mechanism in ME2 to edit an existing face, suggesting that the settings were kind of "fire and forget" in ME1 and didn't leave proper references for editing). There wasn't a subroutine, however, that then reviewed the ME1 settings and spat out a face code for later reference.

The problem with this is that they *did* make changes to the faces for ME3. Necessarily this means that ME3 has to look at the face code for your ME2 character and translate that into the new face rig, which then has to be editable. But ME3's rig can only translate from ME2's rig because the code is present, while ME1's lacks the necessary references to make the translation. Furthermore, they don't have a mechanism that can detect if the face is from ME1 so they can't (at least not yet) make a proper translator that can look at the ME1 settings (whatever or wherever they may be) and then retrofit those to the ME3 rig.

Spergy guesswork on my end, but I think I understand the problem. Coding myopia six years ago is biting them in the rear end today.

That said, you can get your ME1 face if you select "rebuild face" in ME2 when importing and go back, as it then generates a code. I am using the same face in ME3 that I had in ME1 and ME2. I can tell from the Steam screenshots I have that they are the same minus the hair growing out more and more each time (from real short to medium length).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I gave up and just used the default face this time around.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Rirse posted:

That said, you can get your ME1 face if you select "rebuild face" in ME2 when importing and go back, as it then generates a code. I am using the same face in ME3 that I had in ME1 and ME2. I can tell from the Steam screenshots I have that they are the same minus the hair growing out more and more each time (from real short to medium length).

It generates the code for the customised Shepard face you started to build, not your imported face.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

My fem shep looks exactly the same as she did in ME1/ME2, but echoing the hair thing. They changed the ponytail everytime (but for the better).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rirse posted:

I no longer have ME1 or ME2 but I still have the code from ME2 after it imported my ME1 character. That code already shows in ME3's import screen so it doesn't appear to be good for anything now. I still have my ME1 and ME2 saves on my Xbox but I don't expect them to serve any purpose.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I managed to recreate my Shepard's face exactly, but then I went and picked new hair that totally frames her face differently.

It's my fault, but I still feel kind of silly. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, as I think about it, the character generator in ME1 just uses the sliders as a tool for manipulating the points on the rig. It doesn't save the generator settings, only the rig settings, when it looks at your face. A "translator" subroutine would have to be able to examine all the points on the ME1 face rig, reference those back to the charactor generator settings for ME1, translate those settings to those used in the ME2 generator, and then generate a face code for that before it could transfer into the ME3 rig. I can see how that might be hard to fix.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Good god, the scanning in this game is annoying. At least in ME2 you knew exactly what you were scanning (instead of randomly pressing a button on the galaxy map and hoping you get a hotspot that has something useful) and didn't get half the Reapers in the galaxy on your rear end after every two scans, and they even had the courtesy of putting a fuel depot in every cluster there so you didn't need to scan systems to find fuel or go back to another cluster if you were running low. Of course, almost every time I find some fuel I don't even need it because I'm at full already, and I wish I had rather found something useful like a war asset of some sort. :argh:

I suppose the in-universe explanation for the lack of fuel depots is that the Reapers ate them or something.

Yeah the fuel you find is either from a mushed up ship or mushed up fuel depot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rincewind posted:

I managed to recreate my Shepard's face exactly, but then I went and picked new hair that totally frames her face differently.

It's my fault, but I still feel kind of silly. :v:

I'm just glad I am perpetually unhappy with my faces and make new ones game to game because the eyes are a centimeter too low or something. It's saved me this particular headache.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Lotish posted:

Yeah, as I think about it, the character generator in ME1 just uses the sliders as a tool for manipulating the points on the rig. It doesn't save the generator settings, only the rig settings, when it looks at your face. A "translator" subroutine would have to be able to examine all the points on the ME1 face rig, reference those back to the charactor generator settings for ME1, translate those settings to those used in the ME2 generator, and then generate a face code for that before it could transfer into the ME3 rig. I can see how that might be hard to fix.

That's basically the problem, yes. It's not insolvable, but it's going to be a pain to do for whoever does it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Putting fortification on Vanguard Shepard is absolutely insane. You have massively increased damage and take very little. Then you can purge it and beat and Atlas to death with you fists. On Insanity.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
So, in a non-spoiler-y way, are there any problematic missions we need to be on the lookout for? Missions that must be done within a certain time or are a point-of-no-return, like the Reaper IFF from ME2?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

So, in a non-spoiler-y way, are there any problematic missions we need to be on the lookout for? Missions that must be done within a certain time or are a point-of-no-return, like the Reaper IFF from ME2?

The game ends after the last mission.

Digital Fiction
Jun 17, 2004

Huh?

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Make sure to get your Citidel side-quests done asap. :)

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Birudojin posted:

That's basically the problem, yes. It's not insolvable, but it's going to be a pain to do for whoever does it.

Doesn't this process already happen for ME1->ME2 though? And the issue would be the differences in mapping tables or whatever due to the different face options in 2 vs. 3?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

So far I've noticed that a bunch of little Citadel sidequests go away after you do the mision that starts when you're told to go to the Citadel to meet with the Salarian councilor.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Personally I'm glad that importing faces is broken because my ME1 face looks like a failed krogan/batarian breeding experiment.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just beat the game and had a blast down to even enjoying the ending. But I also enjoyed BSG's ending so there might be something wrong with me.

(I also might be in the majority here because most of my friends hated the ending and I've kept myself away from the thread for spoiler reasons)

Now to go through a second time.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So wait I have a full green bar, but around 3330 war points. Don't I need 4000 for the good ending?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

From what I understand, the "Priority" missions advance the plot, there are 3 phases to the plot, and the side missions you get from emails, conversations, etc generally need to be done in the phase they are given. I don't believe side missions affect one another in a timer sort of way, but I'm not 100% for all side missions on that.

Practically speaking, if you want to get all the side missions and bonuses, get all the side missions you can off your plate before doing the next priority mission. If you pissed off the reapers when scanning for war assets, they reset after any combat mission, so you can scan all around, do something like the cerberus lab strike you get at the beginning and you can finish scanning without having to do a main plot mission. (or you can cheese it with a save/reload)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Birudojin posted:

For what it's worth, your mass effect save sites have been a huge asset to me personally for grabbing new saves without needing to play through ME1 and ME2 every time we need a new one. We can fake and hack a lot of it internally, but having a ready pool to pull from is great.

Knowing that in some small way I helped contribute to the Mass Effect universe is basically one of the most awesome things I have ever heard in my life. Thank you so much for letting me know. Really. :D

*edit* I've always thought that since nobody from Bioware ever told me to shut the site down that at least you guys didn't MIND it existed, to know it was actually being used and helpful to Bioware is, well, amazing.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 7, 2012

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
My apologies if this has been answered, but I don't want to read through the thread with potential spoilers to try and find an answer. I imported my save from ME2 and want to play as the same class, but when I do I start the game at level 30. Is there any means currently to prevent this from happening? Understand that this isn't a matter of me wanting to make the game harder by starting at level 1 (I know the game scales), but I personally really enjoy the action of placing skill points and unlocking abilities.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Dick Trauma posted:

It's rare for one person's site to provide such utility for so many people. :cheers:

In just the last 6 days over 86k Mass Effect 2 saves have been downloaded. I don't have time to go add up the numbers (and there are a couple of gaps in the data), but if I had to guess, between the two sites since I launched them a couple of weeks before ME2 went live, probably about 750k - 1m saves have been downloaded.

And it's all because of you goons annoying me with your constant asking for save files in the thread that it started. Then spreading it around the internet after it went live. :v: I was planning on just hosting like a dozen to shut people up, now look at it, haha.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 7, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mayor Dave posted:

Personally I'm glad that importing faces is broken because my ME1 face looks like a failed krogan/batarian breeding experiment.

Mine looks like Fonzie and Steven Seagel somehow had a secret love child.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Yeah, ok I've chatted with Liara a few times but this time it actually had one of those "walk around the room while I talk semi-cutscenes". Afterwards I check the medbay and bam, bonus power. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to hear. I haven't gotten one from Liara yet. I'll have to do that today.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
Quick question, I want to play ME3 for PS3 instead of on my computer for optimum performance (computer is kinda prone to being a bit glitchy these days). How will a vanilla ME3 story start out? Whose alive and who isn't?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

One thing I really like about this game is that the game world isn't static. Come back to the citadel after the cerberus attack and you have people jammed into the med clinics, scorch marks everywhere and heightened security in general DA2 tried this but it had those irritating timeskips in between which I hated.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Haven't read all 38 pages, but I wanted to say that goddamn this game is amazing so far, and that I added my Origin :smug: ID to the list. I started off just sending friend invites to the folks at the bottom of the list; I figure that if you're newly added like me then you're looking for people to play the multiplayer with :)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That's awesome that even BioWare is using the save site. Annakie is a 25 War Asset.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Brackhar posted:

My apologies if this has been answered, but I don't want to read through the thread with potential spoilers to try and find an answer. I imported my save from ME2 and want to play as the same class, but when I do I start the game at level 30. Is there any means currently to prevent this from happening? Understand that this isn't a matter of me wanting to make the game harder by starting at level 1 (I know the game scales), but I personally really enjoy the action of placing skill points and unlocking abilities.

Without editing the save, no. However, this doesn't make that big of a difference because levels 1-30 take very little experience each and you get boatloads early on. After 30 things slow down but you still progress pretty fast.

After a few missions you would be pretty high level anyway. There's enough experience in the game to get from 1-50.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Also, if you have your ME2 discs still, go find your save file and pay the credits to respec yourself, and don't spend any points. It's under advanced training or something in the tech lab. Then make a new save and import it to ME3, and you start with like 1 point allocated.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

When does Zaeed show up? I love that guddamn bastard and I want to make sure I don't miss him.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Chasiubao posted:

Also, if you have your ME2 discs still, go find your save file and pay the credits to respec yourself, and don't spend any points. It's under advanced training or something in the tech lab. Then make a new save and import it to ME3, and you start with like 1 point allocated.

This sounds awesome. Thanks for the help!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Brackhar posted:

This sounds awesome. Thanks for the help!

Disclaimer: I did this on the PC. Don't know how the console handles save imports.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

DMBFan23 posted:

Doesn't this process already happen for ME1->ME2 though? And the issue would be the differences in mapping tables or whatever due to the different face options in 2 vs. 3?

Sadly, no, because the references ME3 needs for its mapping tables simply don't exist in the ME1 faces. An ME1 face in ME2 works because the face coincidentally uses the same table, but you can't edit them because they are missing the references needed (the face itself does not log the references, I guess; hence the face code). The ME1 heads are kind of just a dead end with no ready way to reverse engineer them without making a whole new routine just for collecting all the old map points and assigning them the applicable references. It's doable, like Biru said, but a lot of work to get right.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2012

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?
How do I get Ash back on my ship? She's out of the hospital already, and a Spectre. Yet I can't find her anywhere on the Normandy or the Citadel. I'm about to cure the genophage, and I feel like it's late in the game not to have her on the crew. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ryan-RB posted:

How do I get Ash back on my ship? She's out of the hospital already, and a Spectre. Yet I can't find her anywhere on the Normandy or the Citadel. I'm about to cure the genophage, and I feel like it's late in the game not to have her on the crew. :(

She'll become available after the genophage mission and the event after it

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

General Battuta posted:

She'll become available after the genophage mission and the event after it

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ending spoilers:

I'm wondering if the "destroy all synthetics" is the canon ending because it's implied that Shepard survives at the end. Not sure how he/she does given that you're dying by the time you meet the Catalyst but alright, Shepard has superhuman endurance. I still haven't seen the "control" ending because I don't really want to wade through 20 minutes of dialogue/slow walking to see the same scenes with some blue energy beams (instead of red or green) and maybe something slightly different. I wonder if the blue/red on the control/destroy is supposed to represent the paragon/renegade options with the green option being the "new" choice. Which seems odd since the Illusive Man's option always seemed like the renegade choice to me. Or maybe that's ~up to debate~ which seems kinda lazy.

I was hoping for a bit more exposition from the Catalyst. Is it a being of pure energy or the ghost in the machine that is the Citadel? Why can't it choose what to do if it controls the Reapers? I don't quite get what it's supposed to be.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 7, 2012

• Locked thread