Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.

My Prime has an uptime of 177:21:59. The last reboot was to install a minor update ASUS pushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Don Lapre posted:

I imagine there will be lots of unweidly large tablets meant to go into keyboard docks. Just wait, guaranteed there is going to be a size race and we are going to see 21" tablets.

Someone already beat you to it... or tried to anyways.

Behold!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

beuges posted:

Someone already beat you to it... or tried to anyways.

Behold!

We all know tablets will never take off without Windows 7 and resistive screens.

DUH

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Welp, looks like Asus better do something on the pricing of the Asus Transformer Infinity if since they overshot the iPad3 by $100.

Come on Android tabs, it is time to start coming in at reasonable price points.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
So! I decided not to purchase the Transformer Prime for the time being and took my Xoom back from the girlfriend. However, I still need to replace it by this summer for school. Outside of the Transformer Infinity, are there any tablets that fit my needs here:

- Super high DPI screen for reading textbooks
- A source for said textbooks (I have yet to investigate what Google Books has in this regard)
- I'd like to do some gaming on this thing as it will be my only computing device, so good games are a must
- Wireless syncing with my phone - I'm picking up a new phone in a few months and I'd like for my contacts, music, video, docs, etc. to all by automatically synced
- I'm going to be doing some software development with regards to weather monitoring, so having a barometer would be pretty awesome (I know some tablets have them?)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kirk posted:

So! I decided not to purchase the Transformer Prime for the time being and took my Xoom back from the girlfriend. However, I still need to replace it by this summer for school. Outside of the Transformer Infinity, are there any tablets that fit my needs here:

- A source for said textbooks (I have yet to investigate what Google Books has in this regard)
- I'd like to do some gaming on this thing as it will be my only computing device, so good games are a must
- Wireless syncing with my phone - I'm picking up a new phone in a few months and I'd like for my contacts, music, video, docs, etc. to all by automatically synced
- I'm going to be doing some software development with regards to weather monitoring, so having a barometer would be pretty awesome (I know some tablets have them?)

As of right now I think it's either the Infinity or the iPad 3. Nothing else has the DPI you're looking for.

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Welp, looks like Asus better do something on the pricing of the Asus Transformer Infinity if since they overshot the iPad3 by $100.

Come on Android tabs, it is time to start coming in at reasonable price points.

Agreed. $599 for the new Transformer Infinity is way too much, particularly given the horror that many people experienced with the Prime. I'm honestly surprised at how little urgency to reduce price there is among Android tablet manufacturers.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Kirk posted:

Are you not syncing contacts with your Google Account? Docs can also be synced with Google Docs.

As for Music and Video, either Dropbox or SpiderOak.

I believe any tablet will do this.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Apple makes money on the sales of Apps, so can subsidize/take a lower profit on the hardware retail price. If anyone actually got a cut of all Android app sales, you can bet there would be a reduction in pricing out there. One of the areas that Apple has squarely beaten Android.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Kirk posted:

-Acer, Samsung and Motorola are the only others I'd even consider for an android tablet, but I really think Asus is your best bet. Any tablet from these 4 you'll be able to read textbooks on.

-Textbooks I can't really help you on, I've been out of school since before tablets were a thing.

-Google will sync calendar, contacts, music, docs etc. As for music, there's a few ones you can use that will sync. Spotify is popular, Amazon has their service and google has their own. I currently use a combination of google music and spotify.

Google music requires you to actually physically upload your songs to their servers which is a hassle for the initial investment of time/bandwidth and is limited to about 20k songs. To stream to a mobile device you need a data connection. Spotify costs money, but does not require you to upload your own music and allows you to make offline playlists that save to your device to listen to with no data connection. Some songs you want may not be available on the serivce. I haven't tried Amazon's service, so no comment there.

No idea on the barometer.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

As of right now I think it's either the Infinity or the iPad 3. Nothing else has the DPI you're looking for.
No doubt Samsung will announce something with iPad 3 -ish specs.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

Hopefully, the tablets they've announced so far this year are as adorable as they are laughable.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
What's the resolution on the Infinity?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Rastor posted:

I'm seriously considering this one if it actually turns out to be real - the upgrades to TouchWiz look pretty drat impressive and the resolution can't be beaten.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Rastor posted:

The waiting game begins again.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kirk posted:

Another crapple troll.

CycleGeek posted:

Agreed. $599 for the new Transformer Infinity is way too much, particularly given the horror that many people experienced with the Prime. I'm honestly surprised at how little urgency to reduce price there is among Android tablet manufacturers.

They can't lower the prices and make money.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CycleGeek posted:

I don't think they're making enough money on them to do this without absolutely murdering their bottom-line.

I mean lets face it, Android tablet sales aren't exactly lighting the world on fire...

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Kirk posted:

Thanks for that. Jerk.

Edit: VVV Sorry about that.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why don't you stop making my life so difficult by quoting it?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 7, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

unknown posted:

Apple makes money on the sales of Apps, so can subsidize/take a lower profit on the hardware retail price. If anyone actually got a cut of all Android app sales, you can bet there would be a reduction in pricing out there. One of the areas that Apple has squarely beaten Android.

Apple hardly makes any money off the app store relative to their other income, certainly not enough to subsidize their products.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

unknown posted:

I think the iPad's lower price in the tablet market has more to do with the guaranteed high volume of sales with the iPad has.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 7, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Apple hardly makes any money off the app store relative to their other income, certainly not enough to subsidize their products.

Apple is primarily a hardware company. The margins on iPods/iPads are pretty outrageous, and they use carrots like the App store and iTunes to lock consumers into their ecosystem. Apple makes like 5-10 cents every 99c song on iTunes.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

My Linux Rig posted:

I think the iPad's lower price in the tablet market has more to do with the guaranteed high volume of sales with the iPad has.

Also how they have hardware bought and lined up way in advanced.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

eric posted:

They can't lower the prices and make money.

This isn't my problem. This is Google's problem to fix.

Make no mistake, I love android phones and enjoy my ICS Xoom which I bought on release day thanks to that $200 off Ochocinco dealie... but I knew it would be an inferior device to the iPad2 when I got it. Now that it has ICS, I feel the OS is way better than the iPad2, but the iPad2 has better hardware design despite the worse tech specs.

I use my an iPhone4 for work, and I hate, hate, hate iOS 5 compared to ICS for phone use. But would I be willing to trade tablet ICS for a tablet with such a lovely display and infinite accessories? I am starting to think yes.

So now it is up to Google and some hardware manufacturer to win people like me back, and if they can, great, if not, oh well. To each his own. But now the announced next-gen Android tablets are already obsolete compared to the iPad3, and cost more. That is a rough spot to be in, and I don't see how Google can get out of it.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
The only reason I see at this point to get an Android tablet is if you want a sub-10 inch tablet.

I was hoping Apple would announce a 7 or 8 inch tablet today, since I don't like 10 inch ones. But they didn't, so hey Asus Eee Pad Memo 370t here I come I guess.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Yeah, that alleged 7" Nexus tablet from Asus and Google at ~249 (or was it 199?) seems like something that would be a winner.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Turnquiet posted:

Yeah, that alleged 7" Nexus tablet from Asus and Google at ~249 (or was it 199?) seems like something that would be a winner.

However it was a no show at MWC.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crow_Robot posted:

The only reason I see at this point to get an Android tablet is if you want a sub-10 inch tablet.

I was hoping Apple would announce a 7 or 8 inch tablet today, since I don't like 10 inch ones. But they didn't, so hey Asus Eee Pad Memo 370t here I come I guess.

Or you know, if you like Android.

But yea your point still stands. Hardware and price wise there is nothing out or announced that can touch the iPad 3. I want to rub myself on that screen.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Turnquiet posted:

This isn't my problem. This is Google's problem to fix.

Google can't fix this unless they make their own tablet, buy the quantity of parts Apple does, and kill off all other Android tablets.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Codiusprime posted:

Or you know, if you like Android.

But yea your point still stands. Hardware and price wise there is nothing out or announced that can touch the iPad 3. I want to rub myself on that screen.

Right now the best announced Android tablet is the Transformer Infinity, as long as Asus keeps the build quality at TF101 levels instead of TF201. One nice thing is it will display 1920x1080 content without any scaling or vertical black bars, solving my biggest gripe about the iPad, which is the 4:3 aspect ratio and strange resolution.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Right now the best announced Android tablet is the Transformer Infinity, as long as Asus keeps the build quality at TF101 levels instead of TF201. One nice thing is it will display 1920x1080 content without any scaling or vertical black bars, solving my biggest gripe about the iPad, which is the 4:3 aspect ratio and strange resolution.

I like the Infinity but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little weary after the prime debacle. I was really surprised when we didn't see a next Gen tablet from Samsung at MWC. Though if they are going to have their own event for all their new fancy stuff I guess that makes sense. Though that would make their most recently announced tablets even more pointless.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Codiusprime posted:

Though that would make their most recently announced tablets even more pointless.

Isn't that Samsung's deal? We'd get the Galaxy Tab 10.1 FHD and the Galaxy Note 10.1 FHD followed by more once Android's J revision comes out, plus all the other sizes. Also different versions with different SoCs for LTE and HSPA and...

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Please, Samsung isn't dumb, they wait until after Apple keynotes to figure out what they'll be working on.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't that Samsung's deal? We'd get the Galaxy Tab 10.1 FHD and the Galaxy Note 10.1 FHD followed by more once Android's J revision comes out, plus all the other sizes. Also different versions with different SoCs for LTE and HSPA and...

By the time the J revision hits though and it actually starts finding its way onto actual hardware the iPad3 will have been beating Android tablets into the ground for like another 8 months. They can't wait that long. They need to announce their quad core super high Res tablet when they announce the SIII.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

raruler posted:

Please, Samsung isn't dumb, they wait until after Apple keynotes to figure out what they'll be working on.

I thought samsung already announced their tablets. The 300 and 700.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I just got an email from Motorola advertising a spill proof Xyboard.

I totally need a tablet for using in the hot tub.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Don Lapre posted:

I thought samsung already announced their tablets. The 300 and 700.

Doesn't mean they can't immediately do another one.

Remember the original (fat) Galaxy Tab 10.1? No one else does because the revised (slim) 10.1 came out very soon after.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope those 7" Nexus branded Asus ICS tablet rumors are true. I don't think Apple is going to make a 7" tablet anytime soon (if ever), and I loved the way the Kindle Fire felt, size wise.

If Google manages to make a $199 fully-featured Nexus tablet, I'd totally get one of those in favor of a 3rd generation iPad.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dissss posted:

Doesn't mean they can't immediately do another one.

Remember the original (fat) Galaxy Tab 10.1? No one else does because the revised (slim) 10.1 came out very soon after.

Which means they're liable to release a "Galaxy Tab 2.5 10.1" any day and give up on support for the previous model to that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Anybody getting some horrible performance issues from their 3g/4g xooms? I tried downloading one of those app supplementals at the same time I was listening to music and looking at news apps, and the whole contraption was lagging horribly. The music was sputtering, the apps took forever to load (and then finally crashed if I tried to exit). It was frankly embarrassing to use.

I'm seriously considering just ditching it and going for a prime/infinity/iPad, but should I just wait for this heavily delayed ICS update first or what?