Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Did you type in the port number? It needs to be the address with the port number to connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

abagofcheetos posted:

Is this still what it says it is? I'm using skulltag .98d, DTWID, and Brutal .15a and it keeps saying level authentication failed.

I run in single player and its definitely DTWID and Brutal Doom together...

Sometimes there's a Skulltag and a ZDoom version of wads. (Maybe DTWID? maybe Brutal doom?) check the sources and see if that is your problem.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

We'll never see anything like BrutalHeretic, but I can try.
I had a Heretic Enhanced in the works at one point. I wonder if I still have a version laying around...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:negative:

No clue what could be wrong... maybe the Doom WAD itself? It is Ultimate Doom though, and has always worked for other mods...

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

abagofcheetos posted:

No clue what could be wrong... maybe the Doom WAD itself? It is Ultimate Doom though, and has always worked for other mods...
Not to sure to be honest, especially considering people have been off and on throughout the day without any problems. The fact that the logs don't give anything beyond your Skulltag version (which is 0.98d like you say) doesn't help either.

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm using skulltag .98d, DTWID, and Brutal .15a and it keeps saying level authentication failed.

I got this the other day as well, though I didn't investigate too much to see what the problem was.

Props to the goon that posted about the Nazis mod in the Steam thread. I'd never played Doom before and now I'm absolutely addicted, especially to Brutal Doom. Even in co-op servers that have 11 players in a gigantic mess of people trying to get around each other, I haven't had this much fun gaming since BF1942. :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Kins posted:

I had a Heretic Enhanced in the works at one point. I wonder if I still have a version laying around...

A nice class wad with some new heretic maps really go a long way, actually.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

The Kins posted:

Well, if we're talking modern sequels and spinoffs, DoomRL has been given an awesome new update, with GRAPHICS! Graphics by Spelunky developer Derek Yu, at that!

Yeah I just noticed the update the other day. It's really drat fun and the sprites really do convey the doom feel. I've been playing it in between breaks of coding nonstop lately. I hope he adds graphics to AlienRL as well.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

abagofcheetos posted:

I had the same problem, until I went and downloaded a newer version of Id did.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16721

I saw a game on the server list called Who Dun It. So I decided to look it up, Looks like Trouble in Terrorist Town, or The Ship. done in doom. crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkulihwrQb4

edit: Also that Return of the Triad conversion is for Zdoom, I dunno how well it'll work in skulltag, but if someone could put up a Zdoom server (if that's possible) that'd be sweet. Right now I'ma test that ROTT mod in skulltag.

edit edit: Noep.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 6, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I really wish skulltag would update to gzdoom standard at SOME point in the next few years.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I really wish skulltag would update to gzdoom standard at SOME point in the next few years.

Didn't it go open source recently? Surely some improvements can't be far off...

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Following along in turn, the Infinity Lava Set 2.0 is ready for your admiration.

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
Does anyone else get a bug in Skulltag where mouse inputs will "stick?" Sometimes the game still registers mouse input even after I stop clicking, which makes weapons fire forever until I click again. There was a thread about the issue on the Skulltag forums but it's from a while back and it was never addressed. I can't post in the bugs section there, either. It's pretty annoying when you're firing a rocket launcher and you step behind a wall and kill yourself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero Star posted:

I got a "Return to the combat zone!" message during a Battlefield 3 online match last night.

To be fair, to get that message you have to drive 1-2 kilometers away from the main area, or fly 5-6 kilometers away. I think the only map with non-obvious boundaries is Seine Crossing, and you either have to jump over a flaming barricade or swim the wrong way down a river (when there's a bridge right there).

Also, as someone else pointed out, that feature's been in the game since the demo of BF1942 in 2002, which is most decidedly a PC game. Even then you had to fly a full minute in the wrong direction from spawn to get that message.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Wanting some Heretic action I did a small search for mods and came across one I'm using for GZDoom called Hordes of Chaos Xp. First thing I noticed, is I got my rear end handed to me on skill 4. I'm playing through now on skill two I believe and it's got some surprises, Main one is you keep only 1 of any items you have between levels, and only carry over the fairy wand and pokey stick. But it is still enjoyable. Fighting red demons and golems and mages....wait... aren't those green hued mages from Hexen? <Launches spiraling seeking fireballs> OH poo poo!
Or when you hear a screech, approach a door and hear familiar snorting, open it, and an orange sphere of fire flies by...
Haven't found any additional weapons yet, but still the mix of otherworldly monsters is great. I have not run into any cyber enhanced demons, of course I'm only on e1m4 ay the moment...

If you're looking for some Heretic fun, go for it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

quote:

Has John Romero - the abundantly-haired creator of games Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein - given up on making an old-school FPS?

"Definitely not!" retorted John Romero on Twitter. "I have plans..."

But those do not include Daikatana 2. As Romero succinctly put it: "There will be no DK2!"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
John Romero is still in the industry? I just kind of imagined him living in a trailer somewhere outside of Dallas and obsessively brushing his own hair all day.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Gotta get pizza money somehow.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Last I heard he was making crappy games for phones. This was before we got to the whole iPhone Android generation of phones where apps and games are biiig business..

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yodzilla posted:

John Romero is still in the industry? I just kind of imagined him living in a trailer somewhere outside of Dallas and obsessively brushing his own hair all day.

He cut it off, he rocks short hair these days.

I bet he starts a kickstarter for an old school FPS.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Now that's sad. He could have cut it off as a gift for the first person to donate $50k to his kickstarter!

I bet SA would fundraise for it.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I retract my previous statement from some posts ago stating I don't like the balance changes in Brutal Doom v0.15. Played through the entirety of The Ultimate Doom, and I'm about half way through Doom 2. I think the problem was I was starting on Thy Flesh Consumed when first using the mod - those first couple of levels are challenging in the Vanilla game to begin with.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yodzilla posted:

It was my understanding he was doing alright for himself these days but I could be mistaken.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I'd assume so, because of stories like http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-23-john-romeros-ravenwood-fair-a-hit

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It'd be cool if Romero served as an adviser and level designer for a small indie group that wants to make a truly old-school FPS. That way, he'd be making an old-school shooter again and go back to his indie roots. :unsmith:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I bet he starts a kickstarter for an old school FPS.

Nope, he cut it a couple years ago, but he's back to his old devices again

jan 5 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

He is like the super elite proto-goon. Guy has a balls-chin, and I love him.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
He did a keynote for this year's Global Game Jam. It was nice to see someone who knows what he's talking about being relaxed and casual and not really giving a gently caress to offset the usual keynote speakers who talk about the jams like they're this scary trial by fire thing.

btw, minestein gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjAHcpJ5llw

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I think at around the time of Doom, Romero and Hall needed Carmack. Now, with there being so many different, good engines out there, they don't need Carmack. Tom Hall and John Romero are good designers, and I know people are still pissy about Daikatana, but if those two team up for an old-school FPS, I'm in. Get those fuckers some good tech and let them loose. These are the guys responsible for Wolf3D, Doom, and Rise of the Triad. The result will be hilarious, fun, and fast.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I found this Wolf3d TC for gzdoom today. I don't see it in the op so I figured I'd post it. With mouse support its pretty easy though.

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/downloads.html

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I finally figured out what to host.

Heretic with Hordes of Chaos X megawad (25 new maps), skmega class wad (including doom guy, strife guy, hl2 guy, unreal guy, blood guy, etc.), and heretic++.

Tomorrow!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hate to double post, but, server is up. Heretic + Hordes of Chaos + Skmega class wad.

Kazvall's Hordes of Class

24.151.47.114:10666

Also, it's a lot of fun. MAYHEM.

In case you need files...

SKMEGA - http://thedailypos.org/forum/index.php?topic=8149.0

Hordes of Chaos X - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13122

Join us tonight at 8pm EST, for killer coop heretic action.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I found this Wolf3d TC for gzdoom today. I don't see it in the op so I figured I'd post it. With mouse support its pretty easy though.

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/downloads.html

I was hosting a skulltag Wolf3d server the other night. Game is great.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 16, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Kazvall posted:

Kazvall's Hordes of Class

24.151.47.114:10666

I just get lines and lines of "Connecting to (IP address)"

VVVVVV Edit: 98d. The latest.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 16, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

I just get lines and lines of "Connecting to (IP address)"

Not sure what the problem is. Had some people in earlier. What version of skulltag are you using?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I'm getting the same results.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I can't remember the name, but wasn't there a Heretic equivalent to Beautiful Doom? Added a bunch of new lighting and particle effects, I recall.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heretic++, but it doesn't play nice with the class wad.

Disregard new ip, use same old one: 24.151.47.114:10666

I have no idea why but my server says different ip than doomseeker list, haha.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 16, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Heretic++

Aaah, thanks! It works lovely (even if the crossover enemies don't have proper gore/lighting effects in Hordes of Chaos) with HQ3x scaling on, too.

Edit: Just entered that server IP into Doomseeker, and it says that it's not responding at all.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Aaah, thanks! It works lovely (even if the crossover enemies don't have proper gore/lighting effects in Hordes of Chaos) with HQ3x scaling on, too.

Edit: Just entered that server IP into Doomseeker, and it says that it's not responding at all.

Yeah, certain texture mods don't work well with heretic++ and give lights "hitboxes". But, when you set it right it really does look great.

24.151.47.114:10666 - join this poo poo if you feel like playing heretic, I wanna see who can play and who gets an error, cause I don't think it's on my end. Yeah, purple link just connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Also speaking of servers, give me some pointers to whatever stuff you guys want running for Doom seeing as I am going to throw them back up tonight or tomorrow.