Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

when worlds collide posted:

How come I keep seeing 'catte' instead of 'cat' around all the time now. Is it just an affectation or is there a story behind it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

This is also where the cat that's been showing up in the Leper's Colony lately came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Laptop batteries.

My understanding is that if you use them normally, they're fine. The reason they eventually (at least, sooner than they ought to) stop holding a charge is because people leave the computer constantly plugged in with the battery in as well.

So: if your laptop is constantly plugged in & in use, would leaving the battery out apart from when actually mobile extend its life significantly? And, are there any downsides (apart from it dying if it gets unplugged/power loss) to having the battery out and lying around for days/weeks on end?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Multivitamins. Some of my friends have been bringing up stuff about "bad press" recently about multivitamins. I have a very strong feeling that it's a scientific study that was totally overblown by the press (if nothing else, think of how much media loves to lure you in with "something you do may be killing you :colbert:"). But my friends haven't been able to give me a lot of details.

My preliminary thought, even without knowing the details, is that some study came out that there's some slightly higher bad-thing rate in people who take multivitamins, and the media (and its audience) ignored/dis-emphasized the fact that it's a correlation and maybe there's a third, unseen cause, such as, I dunno, some people thinking that vitamin use gives them license to eat less healthily.

But that's my wild speculation! I need to see what people are talking about first. Any help?

john mayer posted:

Help me fill out my job application, goons. It's asking why I left my previous employer, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a good way to still include it without it looking terrible. I worked there for a couple years, and I ended up leaving because of the owners doing a bunch of illegal stuff and started a DoL dispute over it. I feel like if I write labor dispute in there, it looks a little crazy, but I still want to include it. ): I'm also clueless on how to answer questions about that position during an interview. I've never had to deal with working for lovely people before.

I get the impression that you don't want to totally leave out the dispute, which I think is fine, if you want to stand by what you did.
Still, I'd say a positive spin is a good idea, so say something like:
I really like this line of work, but I want to do it with a company with strong ethics and conviction about the business (like yours :smug:), and at the time I left, I felt my last employer was lacking in that department.

edit:

quote:

Laptop batteries
Different batteries have different degradation behaviours. I think Li+ ion cells degrade by (a) coarsening of the lithium compound (it becomes less porous), and (b) cracking of the graphite on the other electrode, into which the Li+ ions stick themselves. I think what that translates to is that it's better to cycle it more gently, i.e. keeping it between, say, 50 and 80%, instead of cycling between 20 and 100%. But I'm not sure! There are some batteries that are better to cycle fully, I just don't think Li+ ion is one of them. I'm just giving you some background info, someone here might know more certainly.

Leaving your battery totally out of the machine should not harm the battery whatsoever. Having a disconnected battery is effectively like putting it in a time stasis. That's not entirely true, but the amount of degradation that e.g. current leak (tiny bits of current that leak across while the cell is not in use), reactant crossover, and perhaps low-rate processes that happen within one electrode, is negligible compared to the degradation that happens when the battery is used for reals.
However, if your laptop has good battery management, it should know to have the current bypass the battery when it is fully charged anyway. That's my opinion as someone who knows batteries but not laptops, so maybe a laptop person can chime in here.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travakian posted:

My understanding is that if you use them normally, they're fine. The reason they eventually (at least, sooner than they ought to) stop holding a charge is because people leave the computer constantly plugged in with the battery in as well.

Two things make battery capacity degrade faster: use, and heat. If you use it more, it's going to lose capacity permanently faster. And if it's around higher temps more, it also loses capacity faster. If the laptop, when left plugged in, is frequently causing the battery to be around a lot of heat, it will hurt it, but if it isn't, it won't.

Also the ideal place to store a modern battery if you know you will not use it for an extended time is to drain it to 40% charge, and then place it in a refrigerator or freezer, within some manner of container that will avoid condensation. This will slow the eventual degradation of capacity as much as possible.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

There are apps that allow you to stream the audio from a PC to a smartphone, would that be of use?

It might be the solution when I get the faster phone I just ordered today, but will the music be playing on both machines at the same time? I want to have the same music at a sensible volume in both rooms as opposed to just really loud in one room.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

greazeball posted:

It might be the solution when I get the faster phone I just ordered today, but will the music be playing on both machines at the same time? I want to have the same music at a sensible volume in both rooms as opposed to just really loud in one room.

You might have some sync problems streaming to 2 locations, .1 sec faster or slower in one room might not sound so great.

I've seen this recommended on a forum before:
http://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/

Powerful fm xmitter, feed it with a line out or monitor loop out or something out of your stereo and tune in to it with FM radio in the kitchen. But it's $125

There are cheap 12v belkin tunecast fm xmitters that you can get on ebay for $10, they suck horribly to the point of being unusable in stock form but if you can solder they are easy to hack for more power and an external antenna. Mine sounds clear out to about 250 feet. You'd need to get some type of 12v power source. (old wall bug with cig lighter socket attached to it.) if you're interested I can get the model # and the link to the hack.

Also I've heard cheap fm transmitters from dealextreme can sound p-drat good cause they might be transmitting at a bit higher power than they're supposed to. I have no idea which ones though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2012

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

You might have some sync problems streaming to 2 locations, .1 sec faster or slower in one room might not sound so great.

I've seen this recommended on a forum before:
http://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/

Powerful fm xmitter, feed it with a line out or monitor loop out or something out of your stereo and tune in to it with FM radio in the kitchen. But it's $125

There are cheap 12v belkin tunecast fm xmitters that you can get on ebay for $10, they suck horribly to the point of being unusable in stock form but if you can solder they are easy to hack for more power and an external antenna. Mine sounds clear out to about 250 feet. You'd need to get some type of 12v power source. (old wall bug with cig lighter socket attached to it.) if you're interested I can get the model # and the link to the hack.

Also I've heard cheap fm transmitters from dealextreme can sound p-drat good cause they might be transmitting at a bit higher power than they're supposed to. I have no idea which ones though.

This is really interesting, I'll have a look around Switzerland where I live but I'll be in the states later this year so there's a chance I'll get one of these. Would you mind if I send you a PM down the road?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

I really like this line of work, but I want to do it with a company with strong ethics and conviction about the business (like yours :smug:), and at the time I left, I felt my last employer was lacking in that department.

If I've learned anything from the STYCADTPYO thread in SH/SC, it's that you NEVER say something detrimental about your previous employer.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

greazeball posted:

This is really interesting, I'll have a look around Switzerland where I live but I'll be in the states later this year so there's a chance I'll get one of these. Would you mind if I send you a PM down the road?

Yeah pm me if you want. I looked at my model # on the way home and it's an f8m066.
here's the site I saw how to mod it. http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-133/Belkin_Tunecast_Auto_Universal_FM_transmitter_Mod

I'm not as good at tiny soldering as that guy is so instead of soldering my external antenna to one side of that black box (resistor?? I dunno) I cut the black box off with some tiny nippers and put a dot of solder in its place to complete the connection to the internal antenna, I connected my external antenna to the internal.

My external is a single strand out of a cat5 cable about 10 feet long that goes out my truck door and wraps around my truck antenna. Not that I need all that just for my trip to work, but when once you're locked in to some gray legal areas, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

There are some other moddable tunecasts I've seen write-ups on, maybe the older or newer version of mine. Don't know about those but I can tell you though that mine has no frequency stepping, it will change frequency in .1mhz incremnts. In the US radio stations are on odd .1 mhz incremnts like 105.1 105.3 105.5, meaning our radios generally won't tune to 105.2 unless they are old with analog tuning control, where other countries may be even or odd. Some fm modulators may do that even/odd stepping and not work in some countries unless an old analog tuned receiver.

edit: and my 250' was probably an exaggeration. I use it just to listen in my truck but I wanted to see how far it went so I walked away from it and behind my house with a radio and heard clear at about 100 feet with a house in the middle. Probably do 250 in a flat field.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 8, 2012

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I apologize if this has been asked a bunch of times already but this thread is loving gigantic.

I draw/doodle stupid poo poo and I was wondering what site is preferred for posting image galleries like this. Mainly, will I get laughed off the forums if I use DeviantArt because of its reputation for having an over-abundance of furries and lovely anime fan art? What alternatives would you suggest?
It seemed more appropriate to post this here than in Creative Convention.

Edit: VV Thank you! VV

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A lot of artists these days keep sketch blogs on tumblr. You could do that.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
If youre posting it on SA and dont care about outside views, for 2.95/mo you can get unlimited uploads to imgur. You can create a gallery for your art on there and link to it, or like the above poster said, tumblr is pretty popular

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If I wanted to have the lyrics to this song spelled out phonetically for me as an English speaker, is there a specific thread I could request such a favor?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it easier/harder/about the same difficulty for foreign students to get into a college than domestic students? I was thinking of doing my masters at mcgill or somewhere similar.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

greazeball posted:

Is there a program or an app that can play music simultaneously on two computers? The kitchen is just far enough away from the living room stereo that we have to really crank it up when we're cooking. We've ordered a set of speakers to plug the laptop into in the kitchen but the dream is to have the same music playing in both places. We tried wireless speakers and they were a huge disappointment.

You can use VLC to stream music over your local network. I have never personally done it before, so I don't know what the latency is, or if it would be a big issue. On the other hand, it's free, and looks like it should be pretty simple to try out.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

change my name posted:

Is it easier/harder/about the same difficulty for foreign students to get into a college than domestic students? I was thinking of doing my masters at mcgill or somewhere similar.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in the UK, universities can charge more to foreign students, so some bodies, such as my alma mater, allow relatively large numbers of foreign students in.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Experto Crede posted:

I don't know how it is in the US, but in the UK, universities can charge more to foreign students, so some bodies, such as my alma mater, allow relatively large numbers of foreign students in.

The US charges way more for foreign students too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Huntersoninski posted:

If I wanted to have the lyrics to this song spelled out phonetically for me as an English speaker, is there a specific thread I could request such a favor?

I found this:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/w/williams/songs/bean_phaidin.html
Though it seems like the way it's sung in that instance is still different from how it's written there.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kimbo305 posted:

I found this:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/w/williams/songs/bean_phaidin.html
Though it seems like the way it's sung in that instance is still different from how it's written there.

Thank you!

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

stubblyhead posted:

It's a YOSPOS thing.

Yeah, I knew that, but I was wondering if it was a thing they randomly started and it just started being used in the other forums, or if there was a specific origin to it outside the forums. The two of you have pretty much answered that. :)

haveblue posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

This is also where the cat that's been showing up in the Leper's Colony lately came from.

I love that cat. So bloody cute.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gravity Pike posted:

You can use VLC to stream music over your local network. I have never personally done it before, so I don't know what the latency is, or if it would be a big issue. On the other hand, it's free, and looks like it should be pretty simple to try out.

:stare: holy poo poo this is the level of technology/engineering I can handle! I still kind of want to try Wagonburner's idea though, just seems cool to have an FM transmitter in the house

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

greazeball posted:

Is there a program or an app that can play music simultaneously on two computers? The kitchen is just far enough away from the living room stereo that we have to really crank it up when we're cooking. We've ordered a set of speakers to plug the laptop into in the kitchen but the dream is to have the same music playing in both places. We tried wireless speakers and they were a huge disappointment.
You can set up a Squeezebox server on your computer which contains your music, and install Squeezeplay on whatever machines you want to listen with and sync everything with the web-interface on the server. We use this in the office so we can listen to the same music or radio streams while being able to control our own volume in case we have to take a call or something like that. This is a pure software solution.

As an added bonus there are hardware players that you could integrate into your network. At home I have a Squeezebox Duet (with a remote) hooked up to my main stereo in the living room, a Squeezebox Radio in my bedroom, and another Squeezebox Duet hooked up to speakers in my bathroom, all synced up so I can walk between rooms and hear the same stuff.

Plugins are available for services like Spotify as well.

There's even an app for iOS/Android which can control the whole thing from your phone.

Sorry for the long post, but it really is a beautiful solution.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I have a pretty involved question about being contacted by a child I put for adoption a long time ago, and would really like some perspective and input from adopted people. E/N or A/T?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Armed Neutrality posted:

I have a pretty involved question about being contacted by a child I put for adoption a long time ago, and would really like some perspective and input from adopted people. E/N or A/T?

I'd say if you are interested in hearing other people's general experiences with that sort of thing go AT, if you want advice about your specific situation go EN. I feel like that sort of topic would get good traffic in either though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

torjus posted:

You can set up a Squeezebox server on your computer which contains your music, and install Squeezeplay on whatever machines you want to listen with and sync everything with the web-interface on the server. We use this in the office so we can listen to the same music or radio streams while being able to control our own volume in case we have to take a call or something like that. This is a pure software solution.

As an added bonus there are hardware players that you could integrate into your network. At home I have a Squeezebox Duet (with a remote) hooked up to my main stereo in the living room, a Squeezebox Radio in my bedroom, and another Squeezebox Duet hooked up to speakers in my bathroom, all synced up so I can walk between rooms and hear the same stuff.

Plugins are available for services like Spotify as well.

There's even an app for iOS/Android which can control the whole thing from your phone.

Sorry for the long post, but it really is a beautiful solution.

Please don't apologize! I look forward to trying all of this out (but the wife says I can't have an FM transmitter) :argh:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Armed Neutrality posted:

Please come back with a link if you make a thread, I'd be interested in reading/providing input as an adopted individual.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but good thing this is the idiot thread.

How does it make any difference what stereo is used beyond how much power it draws? Isn't all the sound going to be reliant on the speakers and amps connected to it, and the quality of the original recording? How does the stereo matter if it's just wires?

To my mind, this is equivalent to the "HDMI is a digital signal" canard that always comes out whenever Monster cables are discussed. I agree with that, I just don't see how the same reasoning doesn't apply when it comes to stereo systems.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Cliche posted:

How does it make any difference what stereo is used beyond how much power it draws? Isn't all the sound going to be reliant on the speakers and amps connected to it, and the quality of the original recording? How does the stereo matter if it's just wires?

To my mind, this is equivalent to the "HDMI is a digital signal" canard that always comes out whenever Monster cables are discussed. I agree with that, I just don't see how the same reasoning doesn't apply when it comes to stereo systems.

If you have a bad stereo system, the sound won't be output as well usually due to lower quality connections and poo poo. It's essentially like having bad speakers or amps.

This is not to say, however, that all the cheap stereo systems are bad. Most are quite good.

Edit: Basically: the same things that make a speaker bad or amp bad, will make a stereo bad.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 8, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Cliche posted:

I hope you're ready for some speculation. :eng101:
I thought the stereo was what contained the signal processing (amps, equalizer, etc.), but you mention amps being connected to the stereo so maybe I'm wrong.

But yeah, it's all about quality amplification and signal processing. Sure, you can use an op-amp and some resistors to amplify a boring DC signal, but it's going to have poo poo fidelity when you use it with a complicated, many-frequency signal like audio.
"Nice" stereos, I would presume, contain nice amplifiers.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know if a statistic exists for the average amount of hard drive storage space actually used by people? For example, do a lot of people buy huge hard drives but only use, say, 20% of their total available space? I can't seem to find this information on Google, but I'm assuming a statistic is out there somewhere...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Internet Cliche posted:

My understanding is that if the signal is 100% digital (such as HDMI) then the amp won't really matter. Quality amps come into play when you are dealing with analogue signals and connections.

I think in most stereo setups speakers are connected through analogue cables so having decent speakers/cables/amp matters.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007
I've been looking all over google and I can't find a time travel theory. I'm trying to find out what it's called, where it came from, etc.

Basically, the idea is that time travel would create a reality where there are infinite people.

The theory goes: At some point, the entire universe is going to end. If time machines exist, people will use it to escape the end of the universe by going back in time. Regardless of how far back they go, many of these refugees will live on their lives and have children. Those children will have children and so on and so on, until the end of the universe where there are now a whole lot more people than originally who have to escape. Then those go back and have children, etc, and it repeats infinitely.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know if a statistic exists for the average amount of hard drive storage space actually used by people? For example, do a lot of people buy huge hard drives but only use, say, 20% of their total available space? I can't seem to find this information on Google, but I'm assuming a statistic is out there somewhere...

The steam survey probably has a big enough sample size to be the best thing you could find.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Theres stats for Total hard drive space and free hard drive space.

Even though this will be skewed towards gamers and people who probably have a lot more media on their computers I would think theres close to a million people sampled there.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

2508084 posted:

The US charges way more for foreign students too.

Same in Canada. It's probably like that any any country where the government subsidizes education; they want to help out their citizens and not everyone else's.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Red_Fred posted:

My understanding is that if the signal is 100% digital (such as HDMI) then the amp won't really matter. Quality amps come into play when you are dealing with analogue signals and connections.

I think in most stereo setups speakers are connected through analogue cables so having decent speakers/cables/amp matters.

The amp is always post-DAC (digital-to-analogue converter), so that part matters quite a bit. As do the speakers. Other than those two parts, any otherwise all-digital system should pretty much the same as another.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I've been at my new job for 4 months now and I am doing great. The only problem is that I stress out about not being able to do my job even though I am. I care about this work and I want to do it as a career but I keep obsessing over thoughts that by my next shift, I'll forget how to do something and screw everything up. Is this abnormal? I take medication for GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and while it worked in the past, the effects wore off and I am now just starting a new medication. The other thing that makes this strange is that I have another job (which is actually my full-time) and I never stress about it. It's certainly not my career choice and maybe that's why I don't stress about it?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is it okay to leave the skin on apples from the supermarket, as long as you thoroughly wash them?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Farecoal posted:

Is it okay to leave the skin on apples from the supermarket, as long as you thoroughly wash them?

Yes? Do you actually peel every single apple you buy? :psyduck:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

xzoto1 posted:

I've been at my new job for 4 months now and I am doing great. The only problem is that I stress out about not being able to do my job even though I am. I care about this work and I want to do it as a career but I keep obsessing over thoughts that by my next shift, I'll forget how to do something and screw everything up. Is this abnormal? I take medication for GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and while it worked in the past, the effects wore off and I am now just starting a new medication. The other thing that makes this strange is that I have another job (which is actually my full-time) and I never stress about it. It's certainly not my career choice and maybe that's why I don't stress about it?

I'm not a doctor or anything, but that could probably be explained by your condition. It can take a while for some medications to start having a noticeable effect, so maybe you haven't been taking this new one long enough yet? Talk to your pharmacist and/or your doctor about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

The amp is always post-DAC (digital-to-analogue converter), so that part matters quite a bit. As do the speakers. Other than those two parts, any otherwise all-digital system should pretty much the same as another.

Ah okay that makes sense. CD-Players are digital right? So connecting it to my amp with an optical connection would be exactly the same as the current analogue connection it has at the moment?