Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least they put a stud on top for interchangable hairs.

Or sweet custom block manes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was skeptical when I saw this pop up on imgur but yep it's real

I want to meet her just so I can ask for a business card. Free minifig!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah, it was mostly just about MLP. I don't care either way about the Apple store. DeLorean would be cool though.

If there's one thing Cuusoo has shown you need a hell of a lot of support to hit the initial 10,000 votes for a start. That DeLorian has been kicking around for ages. The Western Modular thing has been getting a big push from pretty much all the Lego fan sites, has close to 100,000 views and has only just hit the half-way point and is losing steam.

I don't really know much about the Japanese sets that have been made, but I think the key to Minecraft was obviously (a) massive fanbase, but just as importantly (b) the fact that they were concentrated in one place (something the Apple store one lacks). With this in mind I'll be submitting my lifesized Lowtax bust proposal any day now.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
edit: sorry, took it to the trade thread.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 8, 2012

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

Minifig crap
I want: Mafuckin grey alien with laser gun
OR Space Pirate dude

I have: Statue of liberty (people still want this one, right?)
Girl in red dress with fan?
Minotaur (more reluctant to give this guy up, but if necessary..)
Pharaoh (from series 1 I think)
Traffic cop (likewise)

People hate the grey alien, don't they? Well I don't, so there.
ric dot nine at hotmail dot com if anyone wants to arrange a trade without making GBS threads up this thread. I don't have PMs.

I've got three of the grey alien. I didn't realize he was so rare. Anyway I won't trade mine but there's a trading fig topic on the SA Mart board.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, it was mostly just about MLP. I don't care either way about the Apple store. DeLorean would be cool though.

If there's one thing Cuusoo has shown you need a hell of a lot of support to hit the initial 10,000 votes for a start.

I keep praying for a bttf or a ecto-1 set :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You guys realize the only reason Minecraft happened is because the copyright holder is a) just one guy, and not a giant corporation, and b) a giant nerd and thought it was a great idea. I would be pretty suprised if any other licensed sets materialize out of Cuusoo.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Made some slight changes to the T-Rex. I believe they're all visible in this shot:

This is how it was supposed to look in the original shots, I just forgot to make the changes before taking the pictures. These slight modifications were made possible through the sacrifice of part of my Galactic Enforcer.

Edit: For the hell of it, I made some more.

Modified version of the Valorian Raptor, as the original looked kind of dinky beside the Rulon version:

Double the lasers for double the awesome. Also, eyepatch.

And the back view.

Next, a Rulon version of the Pteranodon:

...this one also has double the lasers. Huh.

The back. I'm really wishing I had some Ninjago villains right about now. The '80s version of this one came with a snakeman pilot.

...maybe that'll get it out of my system for a while.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 8, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My first Cease and Desist letter :allears: I feel like I've finally made it on the internet. Given the speed at which they zeroed in an targeted the legoogel domain name, I suspect another site that thought I was muscling in on their turf might have pointed them in my direction. Although that might be paranoia.

I actually figured it out for myself a week or so ago, when it suddenly clicked that most of the big lego fansite favour "brick" over "Lego" in a kind of duh forehead smacking moment of dumbness, and I started desisting on my own accord. The upshoot is that soon I'll be desisting entirely so if anyone has Legoogel bookmarked you probably want to rebookmark the equivilent page on brickbadger.com instead as it will cease forwarding entirely at some point in the future. The raw feed stuff works there just the same.

Speaking of cheap Lego: for UK goons that Powerboat and Trailer is £10 again. Amazon list it at £30 and claim it as a 67% discount. However Tescos, who they're price matching have it as £20 rrp so it's only really 50% off. Then again I was in the Entertainer on the weekend and they have it on sale claiming it's marked down from £35 so who the hell knows what it's actually supposed to cost. Either way it's cheap for ten bucks, under 4p a piece. Although it can't top 2.5p a pieace: A couple of the big bricks and more boxes are 25% off as well which is a good deal if you have kids. I picked up one of these to stash for a rainy day.

Travis343 posted:

You guys realize the only reason Minecraft happened is because the copyright holder is a) just one guy, and not a giant corporation, and b) a giant nerd and thought it was a great idea.

I'm pretty sure everyone realises this. Well everyone here. Some people actually submitting stuff to Lego Cuusoo not so much. I was talking about more about the initial stage of getting 10,000 votes to be "considered".

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

The raw feed stuff works there just the same.

AM I officially an old dude when I find the RAW website superior to the graphic website? :3:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

djfooboo posted:

AM I officially an old dude when I find the RAW website superior to the graphic website? :3:

I think everyone does. In this thread anyway. I think part of it is everyone here knows exactly what these sets look like and all that matters is the numbers all in one place.

You're an old dude if you still prefer it when I add animated flames for horizontal rules and rotating skulls. It's coming. Oh yes. I've just got to figure out how to embed midi files.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Unironically all excellent ideas. Don't forget your frontpage should be a hyperlinked picture that takes you to the main site. Snow is a bonus.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JD-Smith posted:

Any advice on checking local Goodwill stores and such for bulk bags or opened sets?

There's a large thrift store in northern Virginia named "Unique" - it's a large donation store that used to be a Circuit City, and has tons and tons of junk. They usually have small bags of assorted junk for $1-4, and Lego is pretty goddamn rare. You'll see Bionicle more often than you'll see Lego, however, they occasionally have a giant-rear end bag of assorted building toys for $30-50. The people that work there usually throw in all the Mega Bloks/Lego/Lincoln Logs/etc. into one giant sack, and sell it as a lot. To me, it's not worth the price tag to end up with so much poo poo, and very little possible quality.

The same goes for most thrift stores, in my experiences - Lego doesn't get dropped off often, and when it does, it disappears immediately. And, oddly enough, there are a decent amount of thrift stores that don't even accept toys, for whatever reason.

You're probably better off with yard sales or Craigslist.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I've never seen Lego in a Charity/Second Hand shop. I should check more car boot sales and stuff but they usually involve getting up early to find anything good.

Red posted:

And, oddly enough, there are a decent amount of thrift stores that don't even accept toys, for whatever reason.

That's probably mostly to do with liability issues based on any warnings (small parts/don't stick your heads in plastic bags kids/fire hazard) on the packaging. Most in the UK take toys though and we're fairly anal with regards to health and safety stuff.... less litigious though.

And This will do until I locate my final countdown midi. Lookit that baby dance. Funny baby.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravy Jones posted:

I've never seen Lego in a Charity/Second Hand shop. I should check more car boot sales and stuff but they usually involve getting up early to find anything good.

I've managed to get a couple of sets from charity shops, almost never complete though. An Oxfam near me has the Bionicle set 8996 for full retail price of 59.99. :stare:

Car boot sales are a much better pick, but lots of people are after Lego these days, and can get quite aggressive over it. Some guy tried to start a fight with me over a Speed Racer set I'd seen first, and he wanted. He'd been a dick earlier in the day when I dared to look in a box of toys next to one he was looking in. I started to pull out some baseplates and he yelled "ALL THE LEGO IS MINE ALREADY". So I left him to it, and bought the Speed Racer set from another stall for 12 quid. It was the big Grand Prix set too, but no minifigs.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I got the King's Castle Siege at a Goodwill for $25, albeit missing one wall. Had I known it was incomplete they would have dropped the price even further.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 8, 2012

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
Goodwill stores don't accept unopened puzzles, board games, card games, or building sets because of small parts liability and the chance of missing pieces. I took some K'nex there a long time ago and the guy was like, "we're not going to sell these."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I bought an opened and re-taped (and missing a load of bits) PotC Cannibal Escape set from a Goodwill in Illinois for $3.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
Yeah you still see boxes occasionally but you'll never see random parts mixed into grab bags or whatever.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuxM-avNfLo

Hello police? I'd like to report a crime against LEGO.

Oh my god so many pieces to sort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I asked for Lego for Christmas from my grandma on a whim, and in the hope she'd get something cool. Nephew has some really awesome looking sets and she looks after him a lot of the time, so I thought it'd be easy. Last time I went he was building some sort of dinosaur.

This is what she got me. :v:

I'm 22!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

I've managed to get a couple of sets from charity shops, almost never complete though. An Oxfam near me has the Bionicle set 8996 for full retail price of 59.99. :stare:
:ssh: go grab it. A sealed Skopio set sells for quite a bit on Ebay. Little wonder, since it's an excellent set and looks awesome.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

I asked for Lego for Christmas from my grandma on a whim, and in the hope she'd get something cool. Nephew has some really awesome looking sets and she looks after him a lot of the time, so I thought it'd be easy. Last time I went he was building some sort of dinosaur.

I'm 22!

Make the snail and crow, and then make them pilots of the badassest space ship possible. Post pictures.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm 22!

You've got it backwards.
As an adult you don't want big molded dinos and other single purpose baby poo poo. You want parts parts parts!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm 22!

An adult? Asking for a toy for Christmas?

Maybe she thinks you're hinting there's a great-grandchild on the way. At least you didn't get Duplo.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Gravy Jones posted:

An adult? Asking for a toy for Christmas?

Maybe she thinks you're hinting there's a great-grandchild on the way. At least you didn't get Duplo.

If I still had my Duplo, I'd still play with it. I'm 21. :colbert: Something relaxing about trying to jam as many Duplo figs as you can into that tiny-rear end plane from the early 90s.

Then making as tall a tower as I can out of 2x4s and 2x2s on top of the barn or whatever it was for the early 90s zoo with the tigers and polar bears :neckbeard:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Final Gloom posted:

Make the snail and crow, and then make them pilots of the badassest space ship possible. Post pictures.

I did this, don't have a wire for the camera so will post decent pics later. :v:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

And This will do until I locate my final countdown midi. Lookit that baby dance. Funny baby.

Postin' to say this is my preferred way to view because it makes me feel like a kid again. Perfect for looking up Lego deals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought the Garbage Truck was so cute I had to buy it. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=4432-1

It's the first City set I've bought in probably 20 years. I found it's a bit different than the adult themed sets.

A few notes:

* The only thing that makes this a garbage truck are the fish and banana pieces. Is this marketed as a Recycling Truck in Europe? (Edit: I guess not since there is a Recycling Truck too: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4206-2 )
* Ugh, stickers! I'm still as bad at putting these on as I was at 10.
* Wow, 60 page manual. A lot of steps put on a single piece.
* They didn't have these 1x1x2/3 slopes when I was a kid! Very cool.
* There are obviously a bunch of parts LEGO made so that vehicles are easier, like the exhaust pipe, the roof, the wheel arches
* These models seemed bigger when I was a kid. This is a pretty small vehicle.
* Very neat how playable it is, with the cabin roof coming off easily and the little crank to dump the trashcans in.
* Very good attention to detail. This is just a great looking set.
* They throw random color pieces in where they won't be seen... very clever to make this thing not all green and white when you want to build something else.
* Some of the pieces really bring back memories like the steering wheel and seat and the plane tail upright pieces. And the original door frame pieces!

Are any of the other City vehicles this cool?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

smackfu posted:

* The only thing that makes this a garbage truck are the fish and banana pieces. Is this marketed as a Recycling Truck in Europe? (Edit: I guess not since there is a Recycling Truck too: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4206-2 )

It's a Rubbish Lorry.

Actually it's a Garbage Truck here too. I don't think they change the names on that kind of thing here.... not that we actually call them Rubbish Lorries.

The little slopes are known as "cheese slopes" and are relatively new. A lot of people are rather fond of them.

smackfu posted:

Are any of the other City vehicles this cool?

The fire vehicles (and possibly other emergency service ones) tend to have loads of little details and a lot of new ones came out recently. That said I think most of the recent City stuff has this kind of detail and slickness. The next wave is all mining/excavator stuff and some of that looks nice. In general I'm not a big city fan though, but a lot of people love this stuff.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I wish I'd bought the Space Skulls set when it was still available.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I wish I'd bought the Space Skulls set when it was still available.

I wish I had bought more than one when they were being sold dirt cheap.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Gravy Jones posted:

It's a Rubbish Lorry.

Actually it's a Garbage Truck here too. I don't think they change the names on that kind of thing here.... not that we actually call them Rubbish Lorries.

We call 'em Trash N' Dash.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I wish I had bought more than one when they were being sold dirt cheap.

I wish I'd cleared out those sets from Wal-Mart that were 50% off in the clearance aisle, because the whole drat aisle is gone now. drat it, I wanted to get that QAR and piles of UFOs and Toy Story Train.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
What's a good price on lunar limo? I found a couple on clearance for $38.99

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

jassi007 posted:

What's a good price on lunar limo? I found a couple on clearance for $38.99

That's about what I paid for mine from some Amazon store.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've been wanting to buy some Lego for a while but none of the shops in my area sell any good sets. I've found some Atlantis sets online that seem cheap - Gateway of the Squid ($30), Typhoon Sub ($15) and Seabed Scavenger ($10). Do these prices seem reasonable and are these sets any fun to build? They look pretty good and have a reasonable number of pieces per set.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
I don't care for the City stuff but Lego Creator has a fantastic blue car out right now. Like most Creator vehicles it seats 2 minifigures (unlike the City themed cars) and it seems more proportional. It's only ~12ish dollars and is my favorite set of recent along with the Flying Dutchman.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

cyberia posted:

I've been wanting to buy some Lego for a while but none of the shops in my area sell any good sets. I've found some Atlantis sets online that seem cheap - Gateway of the Squid ($30), Typhoon Sub ($15) and Seabed Scavenger ($10). Do these prices seem reasonable and are these sets any fun to build? They look pretty good and have a reasonable number of pieces per set.

Those are average prices for the sets. You should be able to find them cheaper in stores, simply because Walmart and other retailers are trying to move the Atlantis line out. Gateway of the Squid isnt a fun build in my opinion. There are a lot of good pieces but like most landscape-based sets it's pretty straightforward and there's not much to do afterwards besides scavenge it for parts. The subs are both great, though. And the theme has a whole has some awesome minifigs and unique parts, so you could really do much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Final Gloom posted:

Those are average prices for the sets. You should be able to find them cheaper in stores, simply because Walmart and other retailers are trying to move the Atlantis line out. Gateway of the Squid isnt a fun build in my opinion. There are a lot of good pieces but like most landscape-based sets it's pretty straightforward and there's not much to do afterwards besides scavenge it for parts. The subs are both great, though. And the theme has a whole has some awesome minifigs and unique parts, so you could really do much worse.

I'm in Australia so no Wal*Mart for me :( The few big stores in my area tend to focus on licensed sets (last time I looked they had tons of Ninjago, Batman and the new Bionicle). It's also way overpriced compared to prices in the US.

I'll keep an eye on the Atlantis stuff, it's only $30 so even if they're lame I'm not out too much.