Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody else had the problem/bug of the Spectre terminal on the Citadel just flat-out not offering you anything? Like, I know I have the thing on Benning and the Heating Unit Stabilizers quest that both need to be solved from the Spectre terminal, but I'm not getting any updated information from them. I've also done a priority mission in between and they haven't reset. Kind of annoying. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

You should probably just ignore this post entirely if you haven't finished the game yet.

Ending stuff:
I decided to go with the control option, because it was the only one that (from what that god-damned ghost-kid said) wouldn't kill me or ruin technology everywhere - although we were apparently ultimately doomed to repeat the cycle. Fine, I can live with that, I'll take an armada of Reapers, sure. Then, the cutscene showed me going on fire for some reason (how am I controlling the reapers if I just died?) and then the relays seem to explode (that wasn't mentioned), and the Normandy crashes on a planet. With Ashley on it, which is odd, because Ashley was in my team when Harbinger shot us. Basically it seems like they just didn't bother making a cutscene for all the endings and just threw random shots together (and I definitely chose the control option, as it showed a shot of a reaper going blue, disengaging and flying away).

So basically the ending seemed like a load of poo poo.

So, whining about the ending aside, I have a bunch of questions:
- Who or what exactly was the catalyst-child? I suppose there probably isn't a clear answer but in case I missed something.
- What did I need to do to keep the Geth and Quarians alive? The whole god damned time I was trying my best to keep them both alive and in the end I had to pick which one I was going to murder.
- What is galactic readiness? And what was the war map about? As far as I could tell the map never did anything and the readiness never changed from 50%.
- How much did the forces you gathered matter? I had a full green bar at the end and the battle with the fleet seemed to go well at Earth - does it play out differently if you've a weaker force? (is it possible to just fail?)
- Does Mordin have to die (or is that only if I reveal the STG sabotage?)? If I lie to Wrex, does he find out? Do the Salarians commit more forces than if you cure the genephage but save the councillor? (all I got was one fleet worth very little and Kirahe).
- What happens if you convince TIM at the end? And why was that the one and only special conversation option I wasn't able to do in the entire game? I got the impression it was just a reputation check (I ended up doing my usual 50/50 split), but apparently not, as my bar was full and then some, so it must be dependent on specific levels.

Ok, actually I have some more whining to do:
- The Rachni were weak as hell, I had been looking forward to them doing something cool as hell since ME1, and they had two+ years to build up, and then I find the dumb bitch captured again and all we get is 100 points worth of workers in exchange for Grunt's squad.
- Destroying Maelon's data is an utterly objectively bad decision and they keep loving go on and on about how if only you hadn't destroyed the data all these different things would be so much better. I told Mordin to do what he thought was right, and he destroyed the data, and now I apparently am Commander Evil-Retard. I like that you can win Wrex back, but gently caress, they really keep punching you in the face over that one decision.
- After that ending I would have really really liked if the Crucible was just a gigantic motherfucking space canon that could blow up Reapers.
- The basecamp scene in London where you get a final chance to talk to your squadmates: I didn't realise that was the only purpose of that area and when I went to try and find Ashley they had locked loving doors behind me so it was impossible to find anyone I hadn't spoken to yet. Why...why would they design the level that way? Anyway, if anyone that romanced Ashley could give me the gist of that encounter I'd be grateful. Liara's galaxy/horizon vision-thing was cool.

Edit: One more whine/question.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 8, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

cell posted:

I'm of the same mind. Anyone feel like this'll be a lot less fun to play through again compared to ME2? Knowing the ending kind of puts a damper on just... playing.

Anyway, I thought the writing throughout was really a number of steps above the previous games in general, in terms of humour and self-reference and just for things like making homosexual characters no big deal (though I also really want more endings via DLC or something). Serious emotional rollercoaster going through for me, though [ending]it's a shame it ended in a dip for me rather than a high. So much investment in my Shep just for her to melt/explode.

Yeah, the ending of ME2 was definitely the high point of the game. You do a badass suicide mission with (at least your first time) high stakes and drama (aside from that boss), and then you ride out a goddamn explosion while the music is blaring and it's just so drat satisfying. ME1 finishes with that badass "Oh no, Shepard is dead everybody is sad OH WAIT NO WATCH HIM STRUT OUT LIKE A BADASS". I was kinda hoping for something on that level of excitement and satisfaction.

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004
In terms of the Canon Ending, if they choose to continue to tell stories set after the game.
I am sure they will use the Reapers got blown up ending. Set it 50-100 years after the events of ME3 and just have it that using recovered Reaper bits they figured out how to travel between the stars without a Relay.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meeting David Archer again at Grissom Academy is so :unsmith:

What! I did Overlord but never saw him there. :(

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

That's probably one of my favorite moments so far.

One thing that has been REALLY bugging since I started playing is the total lack of choices. Almost every time the dialogue tree pops up your choices amount to:
- Say yes as a nice guy
- Say yes as a dick

I just finished the mission where you rescue the krogan female, do you get actual choices later on?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So exactly when in the game does Cerberus invade the Citedal. I'm about to do the second mission from the demo after clearing other areas out.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

That was really awesome. Recruiting him for the war cause was great, too.

Don't worry David, Cerberus will never get a hold of you again. :unsmith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just got an update from my retailer, the game's shipped and is with the courier warehouse now. I should be getting it at lunchtime tomorrow! :woop:

Also, after reading all these spoilers I feel like I'm the only person without any major complaints. The ending does seem a little lackluster, but I wasn't expecting sunshine and rainbows anyway. Either I don't really care or I'm just tolerant. :shobon:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 8, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody else had the problem/bug of the Spectre terminal on the Citadel just flat-out not offering you anything? Like, I know I have the thing on Benning and the Heating Unit Stabilizers quest that both need to be solved from the Spectre terminal, but I'm not getting any updated information from them. I've also done a priority mission in between and they haven't reset. Kind of annoying. :(

Yeah, my Spectre Terminal hasn't updated in a while either.

In general, I find side quests badly constructed. The worst is the journal. The journal hardly ever updates when you get farther in a quest. It's a real pain if I take a break, and then forget what I'm supposed to do next in the quest, because my journal won't tell me poo poo except the initial quest setup.

Also, if I find an item for a quest, the quest doesn't update saying I have it. So, if I'm not paying attention to the bottom right corner, and don't know what I picked up, I have no idea I can finish the quest.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 8, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
What happens if I told both of my LIs that I was still into them? Bad stuff?

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

exquisite tea posted:

Have you actually been to do an N7 mission on Benning (it's the Firebase Ghost map from the MP demo for reference)?

Wingless posted:

You should probably just ignore this post entirely if you haven't finished the game yet.
[...]

In order:
(Holy poo poo this is a lot of black, all questions are in separate spoiler tags but cover missions throughout the game)

Who or what exactly was the catalyst-child?
Not really sure. An AI that was part of the Citadel, maybe, left behind by the Reapers' masters to ensure the continuation of the cycle? The fact that it was the dead child was probably just Shepard projecting or something.

What did I need to do to keep the Geth and Quarians alive?
Your ability to save both depends on how much you urged the Quarians towards Peace, whether you destroyed or rewrote the Heretics from Legion's loyalty in ME2, whether you avoided Tali getting exiled in ME2 and whether you went after and/or saved the the Admiral Quarian who gets shot down on Rannoch. I forget what values the game assigns to each action, but you also need a crazy high Reputation to make the paragon/renegade check to save them both.

What is galactic readiness?
It's a modifier on your total War Assets. You can only increase it by winning multiplayer matches, though it's only purpose is to make filling the War Assets bar easier.

How much did the forces you gathered matter?
Not having played through a second time I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that it only matters for increasing your War Assets, nothing I gathered seemed to have an impact on the end sequences besides being there in the ether, magically making the endings possible.

Does Mordin have to die (or is that only if I reveal the STG sabotage?)? If I lie to Wrex, does he find out? Do the Salarians commit more forces than if you cure the genephage but save the councillor?
I also revealed the sabotage but the Dalatress mentioned that Mordin would detect and fix the sabotage anyway and that I should "deal" with him if that happened (PS gently caress the Dalatress), so I suspect he dies no matter what. Not sure on your other two questions.

What happens if you convince TIM at the end?
He goes all Saren (minus the fight). The availability of the persuasion option might rely on having tried the same path of reasoning (paragon/renegade persuasion choices) on him throughout the game.

Don't really have anything to say on your next two points (whines) but loving agreed on the third.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Asking again cause I got ignored.

How is multiplayer integrated into the games exactly?

Like, doing a multiplayer mission just ups all percentages? How does it work for multiple save files, does it only affect the one you used most recently?

I was under the impression that at some point the single player would offer me chances to jump into a multiplayer match to "achieve objectives" or something similar. Do I just fire up multiplayer and it does things for single player automatically, and then fire up single player when I was to play?

Basically, is there any actual integration or do I just have to exit to main menu to switch between the two and there's a token interaction? What is promote for?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Does anyone else feel that the pacing in this game is completely screwed up? I am getting so bored of the humongous cutscenes, and don't remember feeling this way with ME2.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Shadowhand00 posted:

What happens if I told both of my LIs that I was still into them? Bad stuff?

No, obviously everything will work out in the end and you shouldn't worry about it in the least. :v:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I didn't try it in the demo, but I just finished a round of multiplayer and it was... surprisingly fun. For something as simple as running around shooting waves of AI with other people, it was at least good enough to play again. It reminded me why games like Left 4 Dead and other co-op things are entertaining.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Wingless posted:

So, whining about the ending aside, I have a bunch of questions:
- Who or what exactly was the catalyst-child? I suppose there probably isn't a clear answer but in case I missed something.
- What did I need to do to keep the Geth and Quarians alive? The whole god damned time I was trying my best to keep them both alive and in the end I had to pick which one I was going to murder.
- What is galactic readiness? And what was the war map about? As far as I could tell the map never did anything and the readiness never changed from 50%.
- How much did the forces you gathered matter? I had a full green bar at the end and the battle with the fleet seemed to go well at Earth - does it play out differently if you've a weaker force? (is it possible to just fail?)
- Does Mordin have to die (or is that only if I reveal the STG sabotage?)? If I lie to Wrex, does he find out? Do the Salarians commit more forces than if you cure the genephage but save the councillor? (all I got was one fleet worth very little and Kirahe).
- What happens if you convince TIM at the end? And why was that the one and only special conversation option I wasn't able to do in the entire game? I got the impression it was just a reputation check (I ended up doing my usual 50/50 split), but apparently not, as my bar was full and then some, so it must be dependent on specific levels.

- Reaper God.
- Do both their loyalty missions and you get a paragon option to make peace. Kill the Quarians anyway because they suck.
- War assets matter for the options at the end. Saved/destroyed the base at the end of ME2 determines which ending you get at low preparedness, mid preparedness gives you both options, high preparedness means you get the option for the combine ending. It also determines whether Earth is saved or destroyed at the end.
- Don't recall, I think he always dies. If you have Thane around he saves the councilor and gives you a fleet, that's the most you can get from the salarians.
- Much like Saren, you can talk him into suicide.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
So, why did I stop gaining renegade points on the bar after a while? It said I was gaining points but the bar didn't increase. I didn't fail any renegade speech check in the entire game except for;

the very last one with TIM. My reputation bar was full, but the renegade part wasn't. How odd. Is this linked with the rumored secret ending if you do newgame+?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I got a question about ME2 on the PS3. I got in and it told me to redeem a code for the Cerberus Network so I went ahead and downloaded it and it installed just fine. However now when I start the game it tells me I'm connected to EA servers but it's not showing the news feed or whatever like it does on the Xbox. So I can't download the comic or any of that extra stuff.

As far as I know the network isn't down since my brother has his Xbox with him and it works just fine. So where did I go wrong here? I went on the Bioware social site and registered my copy of the game just in case but nothing.

I really want to get another Shepard going so I can get into ME3. :smith:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Wingless posted:

Ending stuff:
I decided to go with the control option, because it was the only one that (from what that god-damned ghost-kid said) wouldn't kill me or ruin technology everywhere - although we were apparently ultimately doomed to repeat the cycle. Fine, I can live with that, I'll take an armada of Reapers, sure. Then, the cutscene showed me going on fire for some reason (how am I controlling the reapers if I just died?) and then the relays seem to explode (that wasn't mentioned), and the Normandy crashes on a planet. With Ashley on it, which is odd, because Ashley was in my team when Harbinger shot us. Basically it seems like they just didn't bother making a cutscene for all the endings and just threw random shots together (and I definitely chose the control option, as it showed a shot of a reaper going blue, disengaging and flying away).

So basically the ending seemed like a load of poo poo.

Ending spoilers:

Okay I don't want to sound rude, but were you actually paying attention when creepy citadel child gave you the options? Your two main gripes are that Shepard died and the relays blew up. He distinctly points out that choosing control means you die, but you do not lose all synthetic life. Also he mentions no matter what, as long as the crucible is activated (which it is regardless of which of the three options you choose), the mass relays will cease to exist once it is activated. I will agree with you that the ending seemed shoddy and lazy, but the conditions of your choices were definitely there.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Bossie Lott posted:

So, why did I stop gaining renegade points on the bar after a while? It said I was gaining points but the bar didn't increase. I didn't fail any renegade speech check in the entire game except for;

the very last one with TIM. My reputation bar was full, but the renegade part wasn't. How odd. Is this linked with the rumored secret ending if you do newgame+?

There's no secret ending. Well, technically, if you choose boom boom and are at high assets and also max paragon I think, you get an after credits 5 second cutscene. That's as close to a secret ending as you get, and you don't need a NG+ for it.

Akileese posted:

Ending spoilers:

Okay I don't want to sound rude, but were you actually paying attention when creepy citadel child gave you the options? Your two main gripes are that Shepard died and the relays blew up. He distinctly points out that choosing control means you die, but you do not lose all synthetic life. Also he mentions no matter what, as long as the crucible is activated (which it is regardless of which of the three options you choose), the mass relays will cease to exist once it is activated. I will agree with you that the ending seemed shoddy and lazy, but the conditions of your choices were definitely there.

His complaints about teammate teleport and Normandy on a relay are completely accurate though.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Has anyone played through the game as an engineer? They seem fun but I didn't feel as powerful as one in ME2 Vs a vanguard or sentinel.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Bloody Pom posted:

Just got an update from my retailer, the game's shipped and is with the courier warehouse now. I should be getting it at lunchtime tomorrow! :woop:

Also, after reading all these spoilers I feel like I'm the only person without any major complaints. The ending does seem a little lackluster, but I wasn't expecting sunshine and rainbows anyway. Either I don't really care or I'm just tolerant. :shobon:

Here's the thing about the ending that annoys me. People who defend it go on about "consequences!" which is garbage becuase, well, by the end most likely millions or billions have been killed. Entire cities, colonies... population centers in general are destroyed or in ruins. The war has been won but rebuilding would be a long, hard process that would take years or decades and even then you'd have plenty of traumatized people who have seen awful, horrible, unspeakable things and at least one government entirely wiped out (the Batarian Hegemony). Those are some grim loving consequences but there's also a light at the end that would basically say "hey, we faced down the greatest threat galactic civilization has ever known and beat it and now we're free to do as we please, ready to face the future with all galactic races truly united together".

But I guess that's not enough "consequence" because it's way better and more "impactful" to have everything be destroyed and your victory be pyrrhic at best in a lovely cop out by a lovely writer who cares more about writing lovely plot twists instead of writing a satisfying conclusion to end the trilogy and Shepard's story. It's a massive kick in the balls to anyone who spent three games getting invested in the universe and characters and it kind of sucks playing a game knowing that everything you've done both in the game and the series will be rendered moot in the final few minutes.

Suben fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 8, 2012

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010

Nephilm posted:

There's no secret ending. Well, technically, if you choose boom boom and are at high assets and also max paragon I think, you get an after credits 5 second cutscene. That's as close to a secret ending as you get, and you don't need a NG+ for it.

I think I know what you're talking about and that's not specific to any ending choice or alignment. Everyone gets that I think.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Bossie Lott posted:

I think I know what you're talking about and that's not specific to any ending choice or alignment. Everyone gets that I think.

No, you need to choose boom boom, else there wouldn't be a charred Shepard body to twitch.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

Asking again cause I got ignored.

How is multiplayer integrated into the games exactly?

Like, doing a multiplayer mission just ups all percentages? How does it work for multiple save files, does it only affect the one you used most recently?

I was under the impression that at some point the single player would offer me chances to jump into a multiplayer match to "achieve objectives" or something similar. Do I just fire up multiplayer and it does things for single player automatically, and then fire up single player when I was to play?

Basically, is there any actual integration or do I just have to exit to main menu to switch between the two and there's a token interaction? What is promote for?

I don't know how it works for multiple characters (though the fact that Galactic Readiness is shown on the main menu suggests that it applies to all singleplayer characters equally) but there's no point in the main game where it'll throw you into an MP match.

The N7 missions you get given by Hackett all take place on the same maps used for Multiplayer. At the end of each Hackett mentions he's committing a Task Force to defend the area you just took. This Task Force is, effectively, every single MP character.

Promote, from what I've heard, adds your MP character to your SP character(s) War Assets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

cell posted:

Have you actually been to do an N7 mission on Benning (it's the Firebase Ghost map from the MP demo for reference)?

No, I just get the quest text for it. I checked the wiki and it said my next step was to get the info from my Spectre terminal, but whenever I go to it, there's nothing. Benning's system doesn't even show on my galaxy map.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

cell posted:

I don't know how it works for multiple characters (though the fact that Galactic Readiness is shown on the main menu suggests that it applies to all singleplayer characters equally) but there's no point in the main game where it'll throw you into an MP match.

The N7 missions you get given by Hackett all take place on the same maps used for Multiplayer. At the end of each Hackett mentions he's committing a Task Force to defend the area you just took. This Task Force is, effectively, every single MP character.

Promote, from what I've heard, adds your MP character to your SP character(s) War Assets.

Thank you, this is what I needed to know.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bringing Javik with you when you meet Wrex and Major Kirrahe leads to some great lines.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

No, I just get the quest text for it. I checked the wiki and it said my next step was to get the info from my Spectre terminal, but whenever I go to it, there's nothing. Benning's system doesn't even show on my galaxy map.

If you haven't been to Benning then you can't continue with the quest; Hackett usually gives the N7 missions out just after a Priority mission. It's possible to complete the quest while on Benning but if you miss the opportunity (i.e. complete the N7 mission without completing the Ambassador's quest) then the item appears at the Spectre terminal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cell posted:

If you haven't been to Benning then you can't continue with the quest; Hackett usually gives the N7 missions out just after a Priority mission. It's possible to complete the quest while on Benning but if you miss the opportunity (i.e. complete the N7 mission without completing the Ambassador's quest) then the item appears at the Spectre terminal.

Oh, so you're saying there's a point where I actually go to Benning as a part of the actual game?

cell
Nov 25, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Oh, so you're saying there's a point where I actually go to Benning as a part of the actual game?

As a sidequest unrelated to the quest you're talking about, yes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

cell posted:

What did I need to do to keep the Geth and Quarians alive?
Your ability to save both depends on how much you urged the Quarians towards Peace, whether you destroyed or rewrote the Heretics from Legion's loyalty in ME2, whether you avoided Tali getting exiled in ME2 and whether you went after and/or saved the the Admiral Quarian who gets shot down on Rannoch. I forget what values the game assigns to each action, but you also need a crazy high Reputation to make the paragon/renegade check to save them both.

(Rannoch/Geth/Quarian spoilers)Normally I don't play Renegade full on but I loving loved the Renegade speech check if you let Legion upload the Reaper upgrades to the Geth. Something along the lines of, "you Quarians can attack the Geth but they will be coming back online ready to gently caress you up and I am tired of giving a gently caress so go right ahead, I'll just sit down on your homeworld watching your ships fall out of the sky."

cell posted:

What happens if you convince TIM at the end?
He goes all Saren (minus the fight). The availability of the persuasion option might rely on having tried the same path of reasoning (paragon/renegade persuasion choices) on him throughout the game.

(Ending spoilers)Hmm, I might give that another go when I try the endgame again, though I guess it includes the Cerberus base dialogue with TIM and maybe even the Mars meeting? I just thought it was greyed out because TIM was clearly indoctrinated and nothing you could say would convince him (since no prior speech checks seemed to work anyway). But then again, that's probably too avant garde/clever for Bioware.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
So, this game seems pretty loving rad so far. Why does /v/ hate it so much? Can we go on like, some campaign to convince them they're wrong

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The Mass Effect 2 N7 missions that provide War Assets in 3 are the abandoned mine that husked the miners, the Javelin missiles, and the Firewalker prothean artifact, right?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
This game owns bones. Some of the stuff that we saw in the script is admittedly bad, but not as terrible as it turned out to be. This is at least as good as Mass Effect 2.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I think I sequence broke something. I overheard some Nurse talking about busted medigel dispensers and a loon raving about Cerberus, so I fixed the dispensers and went to tell the Nurse about it, and then all of the sudden Conrad Verner shows up and acts like we had some sort of conversation/reunion then takes a bullet for me(?) but oh it's okay cause he's fine.

Did I miss my Conrad reunion somehow? :( I feel like I missed something.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

I just beat the game and I have no idea What The gently caress happened. I understand that I blew up the mass relays and the reapers....but THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAT NEEDS TO BE WRAPPED UP. WHAT HAPPENED TO SHEPARD? WHAT HAPPENED TO GALACTIC CIVILIZATION? WHY AM I NOT IN RIO GETTING DRUNK WITH JACOB RIGHT NOW? Also, I took Tali and Liara with me on the final mission, neither made it to the beam, and somehow they are both now on Normandy with Joker? Does not compute.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 8, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

greatBigJerk posted:

One thing that has been REALLY bugging since I started playing is the total lack of choices. Almost every time the dialogue tree pops up your choices amount to:
- Say yes as a nice guy
- Say yes as a dick

I think they did it this way for two reasons. Maybe three. First, in ME2 they pared down the number of options, usually giving you only two responses to most prompts. This is just continuing that trend. I don't blame them because some of the dialogue options in ME1 were three options to say the same loving thing (such as the Citadel, where you have three options that all say "stop ignoring us" or three options that all say "the visions...I understand them now," etc.)

The other reason is because if they space them between the top and bottom people who are skipping dialogue with X are less likely to accidentally pick an option they didn't mean to.

Beyond that it's just consistency. And you'll note that many of the "nice guy" options don't sound so nice when they're actually said. The neutrals really just got moved up or down relative to the flavor of the other option, and give you the opposing flavor of rep if applicable so you're always getting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Akileese posted:

Ending spoilers:

Oh...well it is entirely possible that I didn't quite soak up all of the abrupt, weird and poorly voice-acted exposition from the inexplicable Reaper/God/Citadelsoul/child thing. What does it even mean if Shepard can control the Reapers but he dies? I'm pretty sure the relays survive though, I just watched the three endings on YouTube and the Take-Control ending is the only one that cuts just as the relay explodes (it's quick enough that I think they were just reusing the shot and hoped you didn't notice). Anyway, him dying isn't my biggest gripe, I would have no problem with Shepard sacrificing himself at the end if it was the satisfying and well-told ending to the story, but instead it was Shepard alone, half-dead, essentially picking one of three buttons that result in three largely identical end-game videos. They pulled that same poo poo in the last Deus Ex; it was bad storytelling then and its bad storytelling now. The crucible was a big magic thingy that did stuff for no reason, apparently.

Final Gripe:
There was no actual confrontation with Harbinger at the end, which is odd considering they built him up so much. I think my main problem with the ending is that it had nothing to do with all the characters we had been following and was just about some arbitrary crap that was only introduced at the last minute.

• Locked thread