Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

beef express posted:

That's most likely Lucius.

That's it! Thanks man, I loved Haunting's Starring Polterguy back in the day on Sega Genesis, and this sounds like sort of demonic twisted version of that game. I hope its somewhat good, even if its a bit janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Mehuyael posted:

A bit of googling came up with Made in Wired.

gently caress, that's it. My Google-fu is weak. Thank you!

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Need to remember an old mac game. It was probably an early-mid nineties game. It involved travelling the ancient middle east, sort of Oregon Trail style but you could have a caravan or cross the seas on boats. You could get into sling fights that played like scorched earth and you could hunt animals and gather fruit. There would also be subplots progressing as time went on like trying to find a husband for your daughter. The icon for the game may have been a ship's wheel. It was a pseudo educational game that I had in Elementary school. Anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find it with google.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
An indie PC game (freeware?) from about 3-4 years ago.

It played a little bit like a 3D hybrid of Qix and Snake, where you moved around a 3D environment composed primarily of blocks, tasked with turning them some color. You leave a permanent trail behind you, wherever you've been, and while the environments are quite large, it's not too long before you're in danger of running into yourself.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Okay so here's something driving me mad at the moment.

There was an old edutainment FMV game called "Operation: Weather Disaster," developed by Human Code, Inc., published by the Discovery Channel. The thing is, there was a sequel to this game, and I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me.

The basic gist of it was that the villian from Weather Disaster decided to become "Trashman" or some other corny name and cause a bunch of ecological disasters, so you would go around cleaning up oil spills or stopping a giant robot from clearcutting a forest or stopping missiles from depleting the ozone layer (I poo poo you not this is a plot point) and fun stuff like that. My memories of the game are way too vivid for it to be just some sort of weird false memory, but I can't find poo poo about it no matter how hard I search.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
That's Operation: Eco-Nightmare.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Why thank you sir.

On a related note, I did a quick google search of Eco-Nightmare and found an unfinished fancomic of these games. I'm, uh, not entirely sure what to make of this.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So I've had one that has been bugging me for years.

In elementary school my Brother was selected to test a console that was made for educational games. I don't remember much about the console itself, but I remember the games alright.

This would have been between '94-'96 and was in Poway, CA at Midland Elementary. One of the games the main character was a moose who rode a rocket powered surfboard and his catchphrase was "Hang loose with the moose". It was terrible. I remember you had to ride on the sidewalk and when you hit things it really slowed you down. You had to do something in between flying down the street, like answer questions I assume.

Another was a kind of set up a kingdom thing, you could place people and they would interact, but I don't remember any specifics cause I couldn't figure poo poo out.

The third almost looked like a lovely Myst, but you answered math questions and solve puzzles to collect...something. One level was in the sky in a Victorian like bathysphere-ish environment, or possibly underwater. Another level you were in a cave and the most detailed part I remember is answering questions while swinging across between ropes over a pit.

I have never found any information on this. My dad remembers it too, but unfortunately got rid of the forms he signed for it years ago. I'll ask my brother for any details he remembers, but I am pretty surprised "hang loose with the moose" doesn't get me anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it was disk drive.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 5, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bondematt posted:

In elementary school my Brother was selected to test a console that was made for educational games. I don't remember much about the console itself, but I remember the games alright.

This would have been between '94-'96 and was in Poway, CA at Midland Elementary. One of the games the main character was a moose who rode a rocket powered surfboard and his catchphrase was "Hang loose with the moose". It was terrible. I remember you had to ride on the sidewalk and when you hit things it really slowed you down. You had to do something in between flying down the street, like answer questions I assume.

Another was a kind of set up a kingdom thing, you could place people and they would interact, but I don't remember any specifics cause I couldn't figure poo poo out.

The third almost looked like a lovely Myst, but you answered math questions and solve puzzles to collect...something. One level was in the sky in a Victorian like bathysphere-ish environment, or possibly underwater. Another level you were in a cave and the most detailed part I remember is answering questions while swinging across between ropes over a pit.

I have never found any information on this. My dad remembers it too, but unfortunately got rid of the forms he signed for it years ago. I'll ask my brother for any details he remembers, but I am pretty surprised "hang loose with the moose" doesn't get me anywhere.

With some research I've found a possibility.

Could they have been the "Lightspan Adventures" series of educational titles for the PlayStation?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Boba_Fettish posted:

This is a really old DOS game,

I only think I ever played it as a multiplayer (linked two computers together).

The graphics were pretty much just green lines in the shapes of the terrain and vehicles. Think kind of like old Tron game, but less color.

It was fully vehicle based, and you could pick from a few vehicles, Jet, Tank, HoverTank, I think maybe one or two more, but can't really remember. It was played as a sort of death match.

The game was set in the far future, and basically there were two bases, you'd spawn your vehicle of choice (can't remember fully, but I think you had a limited amount of each vehicle per game) and then you'd run out and kill or be killed.
This one is a long shot, and I barely remember it, but I really enjoyed it as a little kid.

Pretty sure this game came out pre-1989, maybe around 87 even. I don't know because I only played it at my friends house.

Fire Power - Silent Software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Power_(video_game)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bondematt posted:

OMG, That's all the LIGHTSPAN stuff. PlayStation 1 (and Windows). About 100 CD's of educational 'adventures'.

Mars Moose ... was the surfing mouse. One of the first titles.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjh3xeEiYpc&feature=related

The Myst thing was a reading comprehension thing involving time travel (STRATUS), the live shots for that (Civil war era paddle wheeler etc...) cost millions. The SFX was done by the folks who did the TV show sliders.

There was a math thing that took place in a Mayan temple.

More stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0mt31UBgE

Huge project.

I was there from '94 to '99. Chief Technologist. Left the VP slot at Activison to do this. Maybe not my best move, but this was a pretty fun job.

We built a dev system that allows the titles to be authored for the PS1 and Windows (later PSP).

Company did a IPO in early 2000, Market Crashed in March of that year. Oh well.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 5, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Holy poo poo you guys are amazing!

This was the exact Mars Moose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q86p-Vr8G_o&feature=related

Had this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxydDZGn28M

We definitely had Secret of Googol as well, but I don't remember which right now.

Going to get a Nastalgon on watching all of the youtube videos.

I'm pretty sure we had this kit or something similar, as we had that rotating wheel thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_T8CBUx208

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 6, 2012

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Holy poo poo you guys are amazing!

This was the exact Mars Moose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q86p-Vr8G_o&feature=related

Had this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxydDZGn28M

We definitely had Secret of Googol as well, but I don't remember which right now.

Going to get a Nastalgon on watching all of the youtube videos.

I'm pretty sure we had this kit or something similar, as we had that rotating wheel thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_T8CBUx208

Five years of my life. The company was originally going to launch on "cable set top boxes", when that didn't happen I suggested the PlayStation. I had a sneak peek in '94 at Activision.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VideoGameVet posted:

Five years of my life. The company was originally going to launch on "cable set top boxes", when that didn't happen I suggested the PlayStation. I had a sneak peek in '94 at Activision.

Kinda sad that this didn't survive the bubble. I had a pretty good time with them, enough that I still get quite a bit of memory stirred up when I watch someone playing the games. They were pretty difficult for me as they were probably aimed for 4th/5th grade for my brother, where I was a 2nd/3rd grader at the time.

Having a hard time finding physical copies of a lot of the games. So far all I can really find is the 34 game pack that doesn't come with 'Str.at.e.s.'.

Was looking up an article on the cable set top boxes, and I see why that got abandoned. Those things would have been expensive as hell. http://www.cbronline.com/news/lightspan_goes_to_online_media

I think one of the things that killed it was you kinda needed an adult or someone to help guide the kid along. I remember not knowing what the hell I was doing or how to solve some of the problems at all. Like, what it was even asking of me. I do remember feeling boss when my class was finally shown it, and I already knew how to beat a few of the games. That, plus the general deadness of the digital/technology sector.

There is a fair amount of :filez: out there. So its got some kind of following.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
This one has been popping up in my mind fairly frequently, but I've never been able to figure it out.

It's a side scrolling action RPG for the Genesis. It might have been an arcade game too. I can't remember if there were different classes, but one of the characters I remember playing was a Barbarian of some sort. There was a level that had a maze-like forest that kept looping screens if you didn't know how to properly get out. Not really a lot to go on, but that's all I've got.

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

Pulvis Sumus posted:

This one has been popping up in my mind fairly frequently, but I've never been able to figure it out.

It's a side scrolling action RPG for the Genesis. It might have been an arcade game too. I can't remember if there were different classes, but one of the characters I remember playing was a Barbarian of some sort. There was a level that had a maze-like forest that kept looping screens if you didn't know how to properly get out. Not really a lot to go on, but that's all I've got.

Could it be Cadash?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Kinda sad that this didn't survive the bubble. I had a pretty good time with them, enough that I still get quite a bit of memory stirred up when I watch someone playing the games. They were pretty difficult for me as they were probably aimed for 4th/5th grade for my brother, where I was a 2nd/3rd grader at the time.

Having a hard time finding physical copies of a lot of the games. So far all I can really find is the 34 game pack that doesn't come with 'Str.at.e.s.'.

Was looking up an article on the cable set top boxes, and I see why that got abandoned. Those things would have been expensive as hell. http://www.cbronline.com/news/lightspan_goes_to_online_media

I think one of the things that killed it was you kinda needed an adult or someone to help guide the kid along. I remember not knowing what the hell I was doing or how to solve some of the problems at all. Like, what it was even asking of me. I do remember feeling boss when my class was finally shown it, and I already knew how to beat a few of the games. That, plus the general deadness of the digital/technology sector.

There is a fair amount of :filez: out there. So its got some kind of following.

'Str.at.e.s.' had to cost several $million$ to produce. The civil war episode alone (period sets, actors, costumes, a paddle wheeler). In a way "No Child Left Behind" doomed the company. Prior to that most of the sales to schools were driven by low income areas with federal funding (the founders of Lightspan had founded Jostins Learning, they knew the market). After that, poor schools with poor results just didn't have the funds to buy stuff. The entire premise of Lightspan was to have children play this stuff in school and at home. So ambitious. I think the company was funded to the tune of $120M prior to the IPO ($1B market cap at one point, it still hurts to think about it ... my (ex now) wife wasn't too happy about all of it either :-)

Best technical decision of my career I ever made? Picking the Playstation over the Saturn and the 3DO in late 1995 (when we realized that set tops were not happening in the mid 1990's). By mid 1996 we had the first titles out. Everyone hated the authoring tool we created for this, but it allowed us to have a ton of folks cranking out the games.

I have 3 boxes of these games. Some of us wanted the company to publish these titles to the general public. The issue there is that Sony had witnessed the debacle that was 3DO and wanted to make sure the Playstation was perceived as a video game system, not a "multimedia box" (as 3DO and then even worse CD-i was). So it was HARD to get the developer agreement and part of that MAY have been a restriction on where these educational titles could go.

About 100CD's of this stuff. Hundreds of animators, artists, designers and programmers worked to make that happen. Crazy and fun times.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2012

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
PC game. I think it was a party based hack n slash that didn't do very well. Came out maybe 10 years ago. The volumes/episodes were called books I think? I remember I only played the first one and you were in a castle for a long time. That's all I remember.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vrikkian posted:

PC game. I think it was a party based hack n slash that didn't do very well. Came out maybe 10 years ago. The volumes/episodes were called books I think? I remember I only played the first one and you were in a castle for a long time. That's all I remember.

Throne of Darkness.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

No, but good guess. I keep wanting to think the name is somewhat Arthurian sounding, but I could be wrong.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This is gonna be vague as hell, but there is a game that I probably got off of a MacAddict disc in like the mid-late 90's that I have been trying for years to remember the name of. Here are all of the details I can remember about it:
- Black and white graphics with a first-person perspective and very limited animation, kinda like Manhole
- I think your character was a high school kid. You started at home and could go to school, go around town, etc.
- Text-adventure style input (walk north, pick up x, use y, etc.) (I think)
- You could encounter an alien which would gently caress you up
- You could encounter Busta Rhymes and he would blow his smoke in your face

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Vrikkian posted:

Vrikkian posted:

No, but good guess. I keep wanting to think the name is somewhat Arthurian sounding, but I could be wrong.
This is driving me nuts because I remember seeing the jewel-release on shelves everywhere for a looooong time and never picking it up because it looked like shareware.

Mobygames comes up empty for "book," "chapter," and "kingdom." The front of it had a wizard face I think! Also, the graphics on the little back screenshots looked Baldur's Gate-ish.

EDIT:

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Siege of Avalon?
That's what I was trying to think of!!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 8, 2012

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Vrikkian posted:

Siege of Avalon?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think I've said this one before but it never got an answer.

It was an arcade game that I saw around the early 90s some time. Graphics were pretty good maybe high-SNES level. It played a lot like the NES game kung-fu. You were a warrior/ barbarian type that was just walking though an outdoor area. There may have been bad guys but I mostly remember knives and arrows and things flying in from the right that you had to dodge or block. It sticks in my mind because it was the first time I ever saw an arcade game that was set up to play for free, and my mom parked me on it for like 2 hours while she went shopping.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was an arcade game that I saw around the early 90s some time. Graphics were pretty good maybe high-SNES level. It played a lot like the NES game kung-fu. You were a warrior/ barbarian type that was just walking though an outdoor area. There may have been bad guys but I mostly remember knives and arrows and things flying in from the right that you had to dodge or block. It sticks in my mind because it was the first time I ever saw an arcade game that was set up to play for free, and my mom parked me on it for like 2 hours while she went shopping.

Rastan or its sequel, maybe?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Siege of Avalon?

Yes! That's it! Thank you. Man it doesn't look like the game did too well either.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dr_Amazing posted:

^^^ Also potentially Magic Sword

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Kung-Fu master ? It's an 80's thing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry it's none of these. I'm pretty sure the levels were just flat and the first level was definitely outdoors. I was thinking medieval warrior but it may have been a more generic double dragon style tough guy.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sorry it's none of these. I'm pretty sure the levels were just flat and the first level was definitely outdoors. I was thinking medieval warrior but it may have been a more generic double dragon style tough guy.

Golden Axe? or actually sounds like "Ghosts n Goblins" and there was another one called "Ghouls n Ghosts"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dr_Amazing posted:

China Warrior for Turbo Graphx?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wX7HwNhuQ
Gladiator from Taito?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdKqs8pMihk

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Neo Rasa posted:

China Warrior for Turbo Graphx?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wX7HwNhuQ

It was a lot like this but I don't think this is it. Maybe it's bad memories but I remember it being a lot faster paced and the screen was zoomed out more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was a lot like this but I don't think this is it. Maybe it's bad memories but I remember it being a lot faster paced and the screen was zoomed out more.

It could also be these then:

Vigilante then from Data East
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxdBuX6_VM
Tiger Road from Capcom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSp4aA-BWKk
Trojan from Capcom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcGvMJOycPM
Kuri Kinton from Taito
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeJVcpUOnVk

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2012

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

The arrows and knives flying in from the right make me think of Taito's Gladiator.

Edit: I should probably refresh before posting.

Sesquiculus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 8, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What's that absurdly difficult platformer along the lines of I Wanna Be the Guy and Syobon Action/dongs.exe, but the graphics are all ASCII art? I remember there being a thread about it several years ago, and it wasn't finished at the time. I remember one part where you fall into a room and have to dodge Guile doing a flash kick, and there was a boss who shot clouds of bees?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

What's that absurdly difficult platformer along the lines of I Wanna Be the Guy and Syobon Action/dongs.exe, but the graphics are all ASCII art? I remember there being a thread about it several years ago, and it wasn't finished at the time. I remember one part where you fall into a room and have to dodge Guile doing a flash kick, and there was a boss who shot clouds of bees?

The boss is a internet meme thing called Tanasinn. The game itself is called Owata.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja?

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I remember I saw this at an arcade. It was a SHMUP where you could pick a guy or a gal. And one flew on a beetle and the other on a dragon. I think. Also the first boss was a dinosaur??? It looked interesting.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I remember when I was a kid my dad got a demo disk from a magazine that included a trial of a first person rpg type game. I really don't remember much other than it being mostly above ground (so not Ultima Underworld) and inn keepers telling me that their services were second to none. I think I sunk a good amount of time into through finding it would sort of glitch out if you went through the sewers and you'd end up in these weird town spaces.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dogbutt posted:

I remember I saw this at an arcade. It was a SHMUP where you could pick a guy or a gal. And one flew on a beetle and the other on a dragon. I think. Also the first boss was a dinosaur??? It looked interesting.

Mushihime Futari. There's a 360 port of it.