Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MisterBibs posted:

EDIT: Proving once again that the best way to get un-stuck in a game is to ask how to get unstuck, because the solution presents itself and you feel like an idiot.

I'm not used to how mobile I am, so there's a few places that I've had trouble figuring out where to go, only to realize i can actually climb over things, up ladders and leap across gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat, I have every possible melee boost on my Vanguard and it's just not really reliable on Insanity. You have to purge Fortification (lose damage reduction), heavy melee finish a dude (you aren't invulnerable during this animation) and then hope you can two shot dudes fast enough before charge comes back up.

I really wanted to elbow the poo poo out of the world with my Bayonet Shotgun but I'm getting way more mileage out of just dumping shotgun shells point blank at dudes. :saddowns:

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Just read the description for Carcosa in the Agaiou system in the Nimbus cluster. :aaaaa: Awesome King in Yellow reference; anyone else spotted references like these?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ataru13 posted:

Just read the description for Carcosa in the Agaiou system in the Nimbus cluster. :aaaaa: Awesome King in Yellow reference; anyone else spotted references like these?

Whoa, that's cool. I am going to have to go there.

Oh, is there a place that will always be safe to get fuel? There seems to be a lot of systems devoid of fuel depots, and if reapers are in a system, there is no depot available.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Nephilm posted:

I, too, enjoy calling opinions stupid without presenting any sort of argument and adding snide comments about the poster for good measure.

Girls! You're both pretty!

Actually, I kind of agree in practice that they went too far in stripping out choices--I wouldn't care if I just got a cute little exchange every time I was out of new dialogue options with so-and-so, but I don't feel like I ever get those new options. Even when there's a dialogue tree there's often quite a lot of auto-advancement.

I still like the game, and I see where BioWare might have needed to economize, but I feel a little loss here.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Amish Ninja posted:

Is it worth doing this? Just started the game, imported me2 character and I have 47 points to allocate. Will this make the game less fun?

Depends. The game scales appropriately to your level, so it's not a problem from a balance perspective. Me I prefer starting at level 1 so I have a slower reveal of the base game mechanics and also scratch the RPG itch a bit more for building my character up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

twistedmentat posted:

Whoa, that's cool. I am going to have to go there.

Oh, is there a place that will always be safe to get fuel? There seems to be a lot of systems devoid of fuel depots, and if reapers are in a system, there is no depot available.

It's almost as if the Reapers destroy infrastructure.

I really haven't noticed the lack of dialogue choices. Now the choices feel like decent choices where Shepard could actually go either way. I didn't need to decide literally everything Shepard would say. I've never felt as if I've been 'cheated' out of a dialogue choice, or there was a spot where I wish I could've butted in or made Shepard do something different.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I'm really debating if I want to do a NG+ now or wait to see what the future dlc will be. I kinda want to do a NG+ now because I had so many bugs that broken quests and characters.

I had about 5 missions that would update, I had a mission that wasn't fully implemented (I got access to a cluster that was flashing and had a planet with one of the big quest boxes but I couldn't interact with the planet at all), a few characters that didn't spawn (Most of the pre-invasion citadel events like Kelly weren't available), I had some really strange cutscenes/dialogue skips, and like most people I had the love interest ending bug (shows Liara instead of your LI).

After the ending, I just don't feel much motivation to do NG+ though. If that secret ending for NG+ rumor were true, I might give it a shot. Guess it's time to play a fuckton of multiplayer while the bugs get sorted out.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 8, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about the end of the Mars mission: If you disable the shields on the Fembot during the chase, will it prevent your ME1 squaddie from being splattered? Kaiden... :ohdear:

I had hoped the lack of dialog options in the demo was just streamlining for the demo. And while I can understand the need to keep things moving, I do kind of miss them...But then maybe it is still early.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about the end of the Mars mission: If you disable the shields on the Fembot during the chase, will it prevent your ME1 squaddie from being splattered? Kaiden... :ohdear:

Pretty sure this happens no matter what.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

seal it with a kiss posted:

Pretty sure this happens no matter what.
It is since it basically builds into the major plot point for the first arc.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^ gently caress, I caught that spoiler before you edited. Not that it seems any worse than what I derived from reading this thread itself.

Also, I realized how gloriously camp the Illusive Man is now that he literally has Fembots now

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goddamn the game got hard. gently caress the brutes and banshees so much. :arghfist::qq:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Haha, nice to see that for the diplomatic meeting, you get automatically put into the Admiral uniform so that I'm not slumming it in my hoodie for this important meeting. Nice touch.

Also, I like how that meeting is basically just Shepard, Wrex and Victus brow-beating the Dalatrass over her loving stupidity.

EDIT: Victus really owns, is what I'm saying.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
So, I've been playing this game, and I got attacked during a cutscene while talking to Grunt in the caves. I didn't die thankfully, but when the scene ended, I didn't have any shields, and I was at 3/5 bars of health. Anyone else get this bug?

"Hey, can you shoot this thing while I'm talking to you? It's kind of biting my face off."

Actually somewhat enjoying this game so far. Not terribly impressed with some of the dialog and story bits, but it is fun to play. It's good to be a cheap sniping bitch with cloaking abilities again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Milky Moor posted:

It's almost as if the Reapers destroy infrastructure.

Well, yes, but while realistic, for a game where you need to able to refuel, not being able to is kind of problem.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

keyframe posted:

Goddamn the game got hard. gently caress the brutes and banshees so much. :arghfist::qq:

I found ravagers to be way more annoying than brutes or banshees. They have explosive sniper plasma rockets and explode into poison clouds that do 90% of your hp over time.

Banshees and brutes are extremely predictable. If you learn their attack animations you can avoid everything.

Though I think the supreme rear end in a top hat award goes to Centurions. Grenades are probably directly or indirectly the number one source of my death. If you drop in cover at all in insanity, every cent throws a grenade. When you pull out of cover to escape them, something else kills you.

I really found any part with Cerberus much harder than any other enemy. With the other enemy forces, you can just coast around killing then. Cerberus forces are a pain in the rear end unless you kill them as soon as they spawn. It's probably because they are so varied. You have lots of potential enemy types and abilities to watch out for.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 8, 2012

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Holy poo poo, the ending is really loving terrible. Like, everything up until the point you talk to the little kid is loving awesome. And then it just nosedives in quality. It reminds me of the shipped KOTOR 2 ending, what with the complete lack of closure and ambiguous ending. But that was meant to be a cliffhanger and Kreia at least did the "what will happen to each of your buddies" talk. And at least there it was clear that whole third act was rushed, whereas here, just the very ending comes off being completely terrible and really out of place. Like, I had plans to immediately jump back in and do another run but that ending just loving killed my mood. It's really a shame because I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lawlicaust posted:

I found ravagers to be way more annoying than brutes or banshees. They have explosive sniper plasma rockets and explode into poison clouds that do 90% of your hp over time.

Banshees and brutes are extremely predictable. If you learn their attack animations you can avoid everything.

Though I think the supreme rear end in a top hat award goes to Centurions. Grenades are probably directly or indirectly the number one source of my death. If you drop in cover at all in insanity, every cent throws a grenade. When you pull out of cover to escape them, something else kills you.

The AI seems a lot better than ME2. I'm getting grenades thrown at me while being outflanked. Although I get the occasional guy standing up out of cover for no reason.

I also like that all the weapon upgrades can be bought, as well as found. But there needs to be some way of knowing if you already found an upgrade so you don't buy it again.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Romes128 posted:

The AI seems a lot better than ME2. I'm getting grenades thrown at me while being outflanked. Although I get the occasional guy standing up out of cover for no reason.

I also like that all the weapon upgrades can be bought, as well as found. But there needs to be some way of knowing if you already found an upgrade so you don't buy it again.

You can't buy them again. You just upgrade them to a higher quality. Some are on terminals and some are found. If you miss an upgrade when on a mission, it will later be added to a terminal just like intel.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Romes128 posted:

If you find an upgrade again it improves. It turns from Sniper Rifle Ammo I to II.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

Holy poo poo, the ending is really loving terrible. Like, everything up until the point you talk to the little kid is loving awesome. And then it just nosedives in quality. It reminds me of the shipped KOTOR 2 ending, what with the complete lack of closure and ambiguous ending. But that was meant to be a cliffhanger and Kreia at least did the "what will happen to each of your buddies" talk. And at least there it was clear that whole third act was rushed, whereas here, just the very ending comes off being completely terrible and really out of place. Like, I had plans to immediately jump back in and do another run but that ending just loving killed my mood. It's really a shame because I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, it's pretty much "rocks fall, everyone dies" and takes away much of the motivation for a replay because no matter what decisions you make everything you fought to save is still pretty much hosed and you never even learn what happens to most of your crew.
Also that "crewmembers magically teleporting onto the normandy from earth and then crashing on a random planet" thing was crap.

At least multiplayer is awesome.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
Thane you rear end.

"His prayer was for you." :cry:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

CommanderCoffee posted:

Thane you rear end.

"His prayer was for you." :cry:

I won't lie, I cried big sobby tears at this and Mordin dying

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

This pretty much sums up my feelings, it's pretty much "rocks fall, everyone dies" and takes away much of the motivation for a replay because no matter what decisions you make everything you fought to save is still pretty much hosed and you never even learn what happens to most of your crew.
Also that "crewmembers magically teleporting onto the normandy from earth and then crashing on a random planet" thing was crap.

Thinking about it, the ending is pretty much a super literal deus ex machina, if you consider the catalyst some kind of god. Oh and it happened to be more aggravating than DX because you have to limp towards your selected ending.

Honestly if the ending was TIM dies -> Anderson moment if he wasn't executed by TIM -> Hackett goes "the crucible isn't firing Shepard!" -> Shepard, "whoops, forgot to switch it on" -> machine fires -> reapers dying -> cut to credits would've been a better ending.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
No kidding, this game goes between :smith: and :unsmith: so loving much.

I'm somewhere around the midpoint of the game, just got to shoot some bottles with Garrus, Show Javik the Citadel for the first time even help Ashley Console her sister. Things are starting to look like they're turning a corner for the better.

Suddenly, Conrad (fatally) takes a bullet for me.

"Did I help, Shepard?"

Yeah Conrad, you did just fine. :smith:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think the main problem with the ending a lot of people have is there is little closure. ME3 is supposed to be all about closure. The entire game is about you saying "Goodbye" to everyone, but when it comes down to it, in the very end you don't really get to say "Goodbye". Obviously the endings are all similarish because it's for the Mass Effect MMO or ME4, but still. I'd like a Fallout New Vegas type ending where you learn about the future of what happens to everyone. Bioware kind of missed the catharsis here.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 8, 2012

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Watuhboy posted:

"Did I help, Shepard?"

Speaking of Conrad:

1) You should exhaust your dialogue with him even after the dialogue wheel part. He has some hilarious lines, especially about thermal clips and them being stupid as poo poo.

2) also Conrad can live if someone you helped from ME1 is there. I have no idea who she was since I didn't replay ME1 in a while but I'll be damned.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think the main problem with the ending a lot of people have is there is little closure. ME3 is supposed to be all about closure. The entire game is about you saying "Goodbye" to everyone, but when it comes down to it, in the very end you don't really get to say "Goodbye".
I guess the part just before the last mission where you can talk to the ME2 team and your crew before Anderson is supposed to be that but that didn't feel as good as even doing a Fallout-style reel of what happened after.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah my Conrad lived. I didn't even know what the gently caress. He dove infront of the bullet all action hero style, and then this woman walks up and is like "I broke his gun". Conrad and the woman talk, and they have a lot in common with each other, and walk off together.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Watuhboy posted:

"Did I help, Shepard?"

I forget her name but, some lady I apparently helped in Chora's Den rigged the shooters gun to fake firing and after Conrad realised he wasn't shot he and she hit it off and hopefully went to have lot of babies together :unsmith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Turra posted:

I forget her name but, some lady I apparently helped in Chora's Den rigged the shooters gun to fake firing and after Conrad realised he wasn't shot he and she hit it off and hopefully went to have lot of babies together :unsmith:
Except they didn't because of the ending. :smith:

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Speaking of esoteric character references, anyone have a save in which Fist is still alive?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Nucular Carmul posted:

Speaking of esoteric character references, anyone have a save in which Fist is still alive?

Yeah, he was alive in mine, but I haven't seen him make an appearance yet.

edit: Also, knowing that I let Conrad die by not doing an ME1 quest is even more :smith:

I don't deserve a happy ending :negative:

BHB fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 8, 2012

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You know, the Krogan plotline really makes me uncomfortable to think about, even if I did the Right Thing. What got to me the hardest was the line explaining that pre-genophage, a single fertile Krogan female is capable of birthing 1,000 young a year, and that returning to that would wind up with billions of new Krogan a year. Is it cynical to think that Wrex/Eve won't be able to stop Krogan Rebellion Mark 2? Ignoring the extremely-volatile morality for a moment, where the gently caress are all these Krogan going to live?!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Charlie Mopps posted:

If you find an upgrade again it improves. It turns from Sniper Rifle Ammo I to II.
Does that mean it was a really bad idea to upgrade my favourite weapons to V almost right up at the start? :ohdear:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

NihilCredo posted:

Does that mean it was a really bad idea to upgrade my favourite weapons to V almost right up at the start? :ohdear:
Weapon upgrades and weapon mods are two different things.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

NihilCredo posted:

No, the weapon mods upgrade you can pick up. The weapons themselves you can only upgrade by purchasing them, I believe.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

MisterBibs posted:

You know, the Krogan plotline really makes me uncomfortable to think about, even if I did the Right Thing. What got to me the hardest was the line explaining that pre-genophage, a single fertile Krogan female is capable of birthing 1,000 young a year, and that returning to that would wind up with billions of new Krogan a year. Is it cynical to think that Wrex/Eve won't be able to stop Krogan Rebellion Mark 2? Ignoring the extremely-volatile morality for a moment, where the gently caress are all these Krogan going to live?!

I don't think you have to worry too much about that the krogan will just end up killing each other a whole lot, like they always do

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

MisterBibs posted:

End game spoilers

It doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Finished the game.

I went with Synthesis.

Don't flay me alive, but I liked it. The cycle ends by beginning anew, with no chance of repeating. Joker gets the girl. Honestly, it was the end of Battlestar Galactica in other terms.

What I didn't like was the length - that was a very, very short ending. After that trilogy, I felt like we deserved something lengthier. I'll second comments about lack of closure to the series, but Bioware already stated that this wasn't the last Mass Effect game so closure wouldn't have really fit.

The game, as a whole, was fantastic. There were a few niggling issues that should be corrected (Journal updates for sidequest completions, IE, when it's complete change the quest text to 'return to questgiver,' and the DISC ONE DISC TWO DISC ONE poo poo that was prevalent the first ~10 hours immediately spring to mind).

I was happy to see some closure in the game though. Thane's death made me, a grown man, cry. Legion sacrificing himself to enable the Geth to transcend themselves was well done.

Now with that commentary out of the way, I need to understand the endings:

There are only 3, correct? Synthesis, Control, and Sacrifice? There isn't some magic ending where Shepard survives, is there?

• Locked thread