Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Sporadic posted:

I just received an email from Disney Movie Rewards.

If you enter 2 magic codes by 5/31, you get a free copy of either Bridge To Terabithia, Tinkerbell or A Bug's Life (which is in limited quantities)

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/twoforblu

Thank you so much for this. I just grabbed A Bug's Life! What a great promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

All of them are worth buying except for Spartacus. I would consider Paths of Glory, The Killing (plus Killer's Kiss), Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, and Barry Lyndon to be undoubtedly perfect transfers without knowing any reference point. The rest seem to have some minor filtering, but nothing terrible like DVNR. Even the Warners are worth a blind buy because they're so cheap.

Yeah, I picked up The Killing and Paths of Glory on amazon pretty close to release (for pretty cheap too, I think 15 a piece). I was genuinely surprised by how amazing the transfers were for both of them.

Thanks for the info, though I might hold off on Spartacus. Its a shame Ben Hur got a spectacular ultimate edition and Spartacus only gets a single disc 50th anniversary with a bad transfer.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012
According to some sources, Lawrence of Arabia could finally be getting released on blu-ray (June. 4th 2012). Hopefully this is true, because the format would really do the film justice.

Here's a source for info. I would take it with a grain of salt though, because it is Wikipedia, and amazon/other retailers have yet to post such info on their sites. Blu-ray.com's forum has been talking about it, so I posted a link for that too. (also, its not on sony's site, so take it even less seriously. Unless someone can post a better source)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)#Home_media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=185851

Edit: I'm hearing its a UK release, but WILL be region free

narujoe fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 1, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Max22 posted:

I have a free code for this, who needs it?

If you still have it, I'll take it. :)

narujoe posted:

Edit: I'm hearing its a UK release, but WILL be region free

Big main releases are usually announced overseas first due to loose lips. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that it will get a US release on that date or close to it. Sony has spent way too much money on restoration just to sit on it.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

narujoe posted:

Thanks for the info, though I might hold off on Spartacus. Its a shame Ben Hur got a spectacular ultimate edition and Spartacus only gets a single disc 50th anniversary with a bad transfer.

I'm sure when Criterion released a cartoon giving hints of this year's releases, Spartacus was on there.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

mikul posted:

I'm sure when Criterion released a cartoon giving hints of this year's releases, Spartacus was on there.

Not to mention that Criterion has been routinely upgrading Universal films like Traffic, Fear & Loathing, Dazed and Confused, etc. It looks like they have a pretty cozy relationship with Universal, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before we get new editions of Spartacus and Do The Right Thing.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012

mikul posted:

This is amazing news to start my day off with! Is there any chance you could link me to this cartoon, I'd love to see it?

Edit: Found it! Here's a link for anyone interested

http://mubi.com/topics/criterion-collection-cryptic-cartoon-2012

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

narujoe posted:

This is amazing news to start my day off with! Is there any chance you could link me to this cartoon, I'd love to see it?

Edit: Found it! Here's a link for anyone interested

http://mubi.com/topics/criterion-collection-cryptic-cartoon-2012

Looking at that pic, I may have misremembered. I think it was actually a teaser pic that was released showing a Criterion worker's desk and it had on it a document marked 2012 releases and Spartacus was on that.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012

mikul posted:

Looking at that pic, I may have misremembered. I think it was actually a teaser pic that was released showing a Criterion worker's desk and it had on it a document marked 2012 releases and Spartacus was on that.

I don't know, I think that big rock in the middle might be an allusion to the intro for Spartacus. Thinking about it now, it is a bit of a stretch. And I think I remember seeing that pic you're talking about. I'll snoop around for it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Another flawless Sony release.

narujoe posted:

According to some sources, Lawrence of Arabia could finally be getting released on blu-ray (June. 4th 2012). Hopefully this is true, because the format would really do the film justice.

It's getting a brief theatrical re-release, too. The Blu will be undoubtedly perfect given Sony's track record (and the participation of ace restorers Grover Crisp and Robert Harris), but there's no match to a theater showing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for To Catch A Thief dropped down to $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006OKOZGU

Sporadic posted:

This is Echo Bridge so you should proceed with caution but these just popped up for preorder.

April 17th - $20.99 ($3.50 a movie)

Fast Action Set (eXistenZ/B. Monkey/Ordinary Decent Criminal/Albino Alligator/Malevolent/People I Know) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006ZL1POI

This one dropped to $19.99

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Egbert Souse posted:

Perfect use for my soon expiring Best Buy $5 reward cert.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

I seriously didn't expect this to be reference-quality, now I know where to go to show people what grain actually looks like.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I seriously didn't expect this to be reference-quality, now I know where to go to show people what grain actually looks like.

You should have been doing that with Evil Dead.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Are there any known problems with Walkabout freezing on PS3 or did I get a dud? Finally say down to watch this tonight and at :55 in it freezes.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Asnorban posted:

Are there any known problems with Walkabout freezing on PS3 or did I get a dud? Finally say down to watch this tonight and at :55 in it freezes.

Yeah, that is a known problem, and at that time of the movie too. http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1485-walkabout-manufacturing-problem

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

DetoxP posted:

Yeah, that is a known problem, and at that time of the movie too. http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1485-walkabout-manufacturing-problem

Well that sucks. Thanks, will send an email to that address on the off chance it gets fixed. Thought Criterion would be immune to crap like this.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Asnorban posted:

Well that sucks. Thanks, will send an email to that address on the off chance it gets fixed. Thought Criterion would be immune to crap like this.

It won't be an off-chance, they'll get it fixed. Sucks that it happened at all, though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume One dropped to $18.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0058O1FHK

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know what's on the 4 disc Battle Royale other than the movie and its sequel? I'm not at all interested in Battle Royale 2, but I was wondering if the set includes both versions of the first movie. Amazon's listing says nothing about this.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
I can't seem to find it now, but I swear I remember reading that it included the theatrical cut and the special edition cut.

Also, I recall people were saying that it wasn't going to include as much supplemental features as Arrow's release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know what's on the 4 disc Battle Royale other than the movie and its sequel? I'm not at all interested in Battle Royale 2, but I was wondering if the set includes both versions of the first movie. Amazon's listing says nothing about this.

This four-disc collection offers the Battle Royale theatrical and director's cuts and the Battle Royale II: Requiem director's cut, with Battle Royale in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio and Battle Royale II: Requiem in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. All versions have accompanying 7.1 Japanese (w/English subtitles) Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 English Dubbed Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. The set also contains the following bonus supplements:
- The Making Of Battle Royale featurette
- Battle Royale press conference
- Instructional video: "Birthday Version"
- Audition/rehearsal footage
- Special effects comparison featurette
- Footage from the 2000 Tokyo International Film Festival
- Battle Royale documentary
- "Basketball Scene" rehearsals
- Behind-the-scenes featurette
- Filming on-set footage
- Original theatrical trailer
- Special Edition TV spot
- TV spot: "Tarantino Version"

- edit And here's pictures of the packaging from somebody who got it early

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=5868865&postcount=243

From the packaging, it looks like

Disc 1 - Battle Royale: The Director's Cut
Disc 2 - Battle Royale: The Theatrical Cut
Disc 3 - Battle Royale 2: Requiem
Disc 4 - DVD of the special features

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 5, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I forgot to ask this outright, does this mean the standard edition blu-ray doesn;t have both versions of Battle Royale. I've never actually seen the original theatrical cut, but I heard some folks here say it's the superior version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

I forgot to ask this outright, does this mean the standard edition blu-ray doesn;t have both versions of Battle Royale. I've never actually seen the original theatrical cut, but I heard some folks here say it's the superior version.

Yes.

The standard edition is only the director's cut.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sporadic posted:

This four-disc collection offers the Battle Royale theatrical and director's cuts and the Battle Royale II: Requiem director's cut, with Battle Royale in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio and Battle Royale II: Requiem in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. All versions have accompanying 7.1 Japanese (w/English subtitles) Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 English Dubbed Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. The set also contains the following bonus supplements:
- The Making Of Battle Royale featurette
- Battle Royale press conference
- Instructional video: "Birthday Version"
- Audition/rehearsal footage
- Special effects comparison featurette
- Footage from the 2000 Tokyo International Film Festival
- Battle Royale documentary
- "Basketball Scene" rehearsals
- Behind-the-scenes featurette
- Filming on-set footage
- Original theatrical trailer
- Special Edition TV spot
- TV spot: "Tarantino Version"

- edit And here's pictures of the packaging from somebody who got it early

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=5868865&postcount=243

From the packaging, it looks like

Disc 1 - Battle Royale: The Director's Cut
Disc 2 - Battle Royale: The Theatrical Cut
Disc 3 - Battle Royale 2: Requiem
Disc 4 - DVD of the special features

Ugh, I really want this. I read the novel years ago and loved it, but never got to see the movie.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Sporadic posted:

Yes.

The standard edition is only the director's cut.

I've only seen the original. How is the director's cut?

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Skychrono posted:

I've only seen the original. How is the director's cut?

Just fyi, the "Director's Cut" isn't actually a director's cut. It's just a special edition that was released later (though, I think the director did cut it himself). The Theatrical cut was his preferred version.

And as far as differences... not a whole lot, really. Some extra CG here and there (including added blood), some slightly extended scenes, and the end tacks on "requims" which is just the full length versions of the flashbacks that were happening earlier in the movie.

It's interesting to see, but nothing really major.

EDIT: oh, and one continuity error that I recall they fixed. In the classroom scene, the knife is pulled from the forehead of the girl in the extended cut, instead of her face, which was inaccurate of where it hit

The Phantom Goat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 5, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So which version is better?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, so AMC was having a marathon of the remastered Godfather this past week.

I loved the new contrast, I loved the grain, but was it me or was the coloring a little too warm?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

So which version is better?

Theatrical. The "DC", for the most part, is just added flashbacks to a school basketball game that really slow the film down. Also, the added "requiem" ending is needless. Granted, when I saw that scene, it was so poorly translated that I had to infer what was going on through body language... which is impossible with Takeshi Kitano. I say don't bother.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Theatrical. The "DC", for the most part, is just added flashbacks to a school basketball game that really slow the film down. Also, the added "requiem" ending is needless. Granted, when I saw that scene, it was so poorly translated that I had to infer what was going on through body language... which is impossible with Takeshi Kitano. I say don't bother.

I've already bothered many times. I've only ever seen the "Special Version" (I own the Korean all region DVD). Basically I was wondering if it was worth paying double to get both of them. I knew which scenes were added and I never thought it bogged down the movie. I always thought it gave a nice little background on the characters. But then again I never did see the movuie without that. I just remember, way back when I was getting the DVD that's the version people told me to grab and that's which one was loaned to me when I first saw the movie.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Really, both versions are loving phenomenal and it's really down to a matter of personal preference. It's not like The Warriors or the Star Wars OT where the changes drastically harm the movie, they're relatively minor.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Either are fine... My attention tends to drop by time I get to the requiems of the special edition.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I picked up the Silence of the Lambs Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack because I saw it for eight bucks today. Just to be sure it's good I looked up the Blu-Ray.com review and they seem to have a favorable review for the stand alone Blu-Ray, but not the combo pack. I'd assume it's the same transfer on both discs, but does anyone here know for sure?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Are you ready for the best loving news ever?

quote:

Blu-ray.com has been informed that 20th Century Fox Entertainment has issued a new Blu-ray release of director William Friedkin's cult film The French Connection (1971), which is currently sold exclusively at Best Buy stores across the U.S. :siren: Blu-ray.com has also been able to confirm that the new release features a brand new high-definition transfer struck from a new master supervised by director William Friedkin and cinematographer Owen Roizman. :siren:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8328

Old poo poo edition

Brand new awesome edition

$15 at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/French+...ction&lp=1&cp=1

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 8, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy poo poo, yessssssss

This better come to Europe. Can't wait.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Oh wow, I just saw that at the store this morning but didn't pick it up because I was unsure if it had the crappy transfer or not.

Unrelated: I got Se7en from Best Buy and I get an "Error: Invalid Disc" message when I put it in my PS3. I exchanged for a different copy, but the new disc has the same problem.

I googled a bit and it looks like I'm not the only person having this problem. Does anyone know if Warner Bros has said/done anything about this?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sporadic posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8328

Old poo poo edition

Brand new awesome edition

$15 at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/French+...ction&lp=1&cp=1

Yay! I held off in what I assumed was lost hope of this happening.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Sporadic posted:

What exactly was the deal with this release anyway? It looked like complete loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Trump posted:

What exactly was the deal with this release anyway? It looked like complete loving poo poo.

When Friedkin originally did the master, he basically got enamored with the digital color correcting process and colored it in the way that he wanted without input from the original cinematographer. IIRC, the way he did it was taking a black and white version of the film and overlaying a desaturated version on top of it, blending them until he thought it looked right.

But yea, a great lesson in what you shouldn't do. Scorsese had it right when he said that HD formats allow for a replication of the way films were intended to be exhibited, so studios should really try to get films as close as to what the filmmakers intended.

• Locked thread