Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Help! I have leftover stuffing for stuffed bell peppers (rice, ground beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes), about half a pound of it. What do I do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I made some lamb stock last night, because people kept telling me I should so as not to waste the bones.

I have no idea what to cook with it. Basically every single dish I find wants me to make it while cooking some kind of lamb meat, then using it with the meat. Are there ways to use it effectively in non-lamb dishes? I'm not against it, but lamb is expensive.

Doh004 posted:

Help! I have leftover stuffing for stuffed bell peppers (rice, ground beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes), about half a pound of it. What do I do with it?

Taco night?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

theflyingorc posted:

Taco night?

Can I just store it all? The beef is raw so I don't know if it's bad to keep like that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Doh004 posted:

Stuffed cabbage rolls?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

NiVRaM88 posted:

Going to NYC this weekend and looking for some food recommendations. I've already read through the New New York thread in the A/T Travel forum, but wanted to double check here with some more serious foodies.

Russ & Daughters - Definitely, get a minibagel with your choice of lox and caviar cream cheese, or get pickled herring in cream with onions unffffffffffffff.
Momofuku - I'd skip it, it was boring and over priced. If you want ramen and buns got to Ippudo.
Pomme Frites - I wouldn't go out of my way to get them, but if you're in the area and drunk, definitely worth the stop.
Shake Shack - If you've been here already, I'd skip it this time in favor of a burger at Minetta Tavern or The Spotted Pig. Get to the latter before 6. They will quote you a silly wait time. Just keep checking in from time to time, a lot of people drop when they hear "LOL 3hrs". Halal and I were seated in an hour.
Artichoke Pizza - If you really want to, it's not really that great, and kinda gross.

Other suggestions:
Seconding Katz's, and it's literally 1 block up Houston from Russ and Daughters.

I adore Babbo and the tasting menu there is ludicrously priced for the quality of food you get.

Check out Eataly if you want to see a clusterfuck of italianness

Vol de Nuit is a great belgian beer bar near Washington Square Park.

Yakiniku Takashi is a great Japanese/Korean grill-it-yourself place in the West Village specializing in offal, if that sort of thing is your cup o tea. Went with impossible! and it was awesome. Get the tongue sinew and the fourth stomach.

Danji is a fantastic Korean tapas place in midtown, and is the only Korean resto to have a michelin star. Don't let that deter you though, mediaphage and I ate here, it was delicious, and the bill was very reasonable.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Check out Eataly if you want to see a clusterfuck

It's a ridiculous ballet of hospitaliano. I have no idea how it works, seriously. You should see it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

NiVRaM88 posted:

Going to NYC this weekend and looking for some food recommendations. I've already read through the New New York thread in the A/T Travel forum, but wanted to double check here with some more serious foodies.

Here's whats on my radar currently:

Doughnut Plant
Magnolia Bakery - banana pudding (for the GF)
Forty Carrots - froyo (for the GF)
Russ & Daughters - bagel
Bouchon Bakery - macarons
Korilla Food Truck, if I can find them
Grimaldi's - I'd welcome other pizza ideas here. I went to Lombardi's last time and was a bit underwhelmed with the pizza and heavy tourist experience
Momofuku - considering one of his restaurants, any thoughts here?
Num Pang - Cambodian Sandwich
Pomme Frites
Shake Shack - went here last time, would welcome any other legit burger ideas (if it makes a difference my favorite "classic" burger to date is H&F in Atlanta)
Chicken and rice like its my job
Artichoke Pizza - when drunk
Boka - bonchon chicken
Calle Ocho - bottomless sangria brunch

Anything else crucial missing from my list? Was thinking about Crif's for hot dogs and the bar next door if we can get in. I went to Peter Luger's on my last trip.
If you like really good cocktails, hit up Pegu Club on Houston while you're in that 'hood. Go before it's late in the night, when the bartenders have a bit of time to chat to you, because they're ultimately obsessive about the best in drinks, and will gladly shoot the poo poo about booze. If you know what you want, expect that you're going to get the best that they have to offer. I order a Sazerac every time I go, because they make a really good one. Their martini is excellent.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Turkeybone posted:

It's a ridiculous ballet of hospitaliano. I have no idea how it works, seriously. You should see it.

Went there several weeks ago. Ate plenty of cured meats and cheeses and drank lots of wine. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Went there several weeks ago. Ate plenty of cured meats and cheeses and drank lots of wine. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I actually went to Eataly last time I was in NYC. It was awesome and I coulda stayed there way longer than I did, I'd almost describe it as an Ikea for foodies. I just heard about La Birrerria that opened up on Eataly's rooftop though and that may be worth a second visit.

cooking_j
Jan 31, 2012

NiVRaM88 posted:

If you like Chinese food at all and don't mind dives go to Wo Hop at 17 mott street on the outskirts of chinatown. There are two wo hops at that address. Go to the one downstairs and try the chicken kew with black bean sauce. Wo Hop is open late and is a perfect place to go after hitting a few bars. You wont be let down.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taft Punk posted:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you again. THE BOYFRIEND says to catch "The downtown Tacoma Link" transit which is free in downtown Tacoma, to Broadway. There's a good Indian place, a decent Mexican place, a few acceptable American places... Bars and restaurants all up and down Broadway.

Frisco Freeze is nearby and is a good greasy burger / highschool hangout.

Thanks for the tips, they really helped fill out the food for the weekend.

And holy, does downtown Tacoma shut down early/barren wasteland. Not much open on Sunday or even late on the weekends. Complete opposite of Vancouver o.o

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone have a souvlaki marinade you really like? I like mine but I'm looking to experiment a bit with my pita meat.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

cooking_j posted:

Bananadvice

Thanks, while I hosed up the form a bit due to my own fault, it came out pretty good.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I made some lamb stock last night, because people kept telling me I should so as not to waste the bones.

I have no idea what to cook with it. Basically every single dish I find wants me to make it while cooking some kind of lamb meat, then using it with the meat. Are there ways to use it effectively in non-lamb dishes? I'm not against it, but lamb is expensive.

You can use your lamb stock with almost any savory dish that calls for water or chicken stock or beef stock. If you've never made risotto before, do that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
If someone is worried about a possible mold problem in their small (~400 square foot) apartment, is making a sourdough starter gonna give that person botulism or is that a stupid thing to worry about?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I have about 3 pounds of frozen, uncooked kielbasa that was given to me by a family member. I've tried looking up kielbasa recipes but they all seem to call for smoked kielbasa, and the stuff I have is another beast entirely. A quick google search says it's called "Biala Kielbasa" and it looks like a large, grey lump with black speckles when it's boiled, which is what my family member does with the stuff.

Is there anything I can do with this besides boiling it up and eating it with kraut?

You could cook it in a vegetable or lentil soup, or maybe in spicy tomato sauce, serve with potato dumplings

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

scuz posted:

If someone is worried about a possible mold problem in their small (~400 square foot) apartment, is making a sourdough starter gonna give that person botulism or is that a stupid thing to worry about?

Yes.

Mold is not yeast is not anaerobic bacteria.

Starter can get moldy, but it's pretty obvious when it does.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

Yes.

Mold is not yeast is not anaerobic bacteria.

Starter can get moldy, but it's pretty obvious when it does.
Thanks a bunch!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone have a souvlaki marinade you really like? I like mine but I'm looking to experiment a bit with my pita meat.

I usually just go with olive oil, lots of lemon, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Lots and lots of everything. The best souvlaki is heavily flavored

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

theflyingorc posted:

Taco night?

Lamb flavor goes amazingly well with curries.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mach420 posted:

Lamb flavor goes amazingly well with curries.

Seconding this. You could boil rice in it to make a biryani, for example.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Can somebody please give me a beef stroganoff recipe that doesn't involve cream of mushroom soup and canned mushrooms? Searching with google just gives me a bunch of "quick and easy Beef Stroganoff!" crap.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Can somebody please give me a beef stroganoff recipe that doesn't involve cream of mushroom soup and canned mushrooms? Searching with google just gives me a bunch of "quick and easy Beef Stroganoff!" crap.
Cast of fthe yoke of the Lutheran Binder and do it the fun way :c00l:

The way I've always done it, which probably isn't correct, is to make kind of a pan sauce from the browning of the beef that I use. Deglaze with just enough chocolate stout, add some flour, whisk like a bastard while adding a little cream (a little goes a long way). I do the mushrooms in a separate pan with just a little butter and salt so's not to disturb the sauce-making (which is also probably wrong). You can chuck a bit of thyme in there if you want (I like to).

The big tricks here are source your ingredients well. I have a boffo butcher shop near me that not only sells the best meat I've ever gotten my hands on ( :haw: ) but sells fresh cream, too. That and make the noodles yourself if you like. Just cook 'em to super-al-dente, rinse in cold water, drain well, then cook them to tender in the sauce. I'm not sure if the noodles are supposed to be served apart from the sauce, this is just how I've done it and it's not very exact or traditional, I'm sure, but it's darn tasty!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

Booya: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/no-russian-this-beef-stroganoff-recipe.html

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I have about 3 pounds of frozen, uncooked kielbasa that was given to me by a family member. I've tried looking up kielbasa recipes but they all seem to call for smoked kielbasa, and the stuff I have is another beast entirely. A quick google search says it's called "Biala Kielbasa" and it looks like a large, grey lump with black speckles when it's boiled, which is what my family member does with the stuff.

Is there anything I can do with this besides boiling it up and eating it with kraut?

Borscht. Definitely borscht. Never had it with white keilbasa though, but keilbasa owns anyway so.

Do white borscht. It's way better than red

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

razz posted:

The one CuddleChunks linked looks fine. That said, the way I make it follows pretty closely with the version Keller gives in Ad Hoc At Home. You can find it online, for example here. One of the main deviations from the recipe I consistently do is doing the beef in the puddle machine instead of braising it. I think I actually prefer it this way, the meat ends up with a very straight-up-the-middle beefy flavour which, along with the absence of the braising liquid in the final product, lets the mushroomy-ness come out more.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Heeeyyyy there, folks. It's real coincidental that you are posting about stroganoff, because I can chime in here with a definite don't list from what's currently on my stove at this very moment.

After you make a decent blonde roux, and you dump in a ton of sliced mushrooms and onions (I'm doing mushroom stroganoff (there isn't such a thing)), here's what you don't do. Marsala wine.

I thought "Hey, I'm using fat free sour cream (don't do this either)! It'll be sour! The Marsala will.." No the marsala overpowered the dish. The marsala crawled out of the pot. The marsala may have possibly sexually assaulted me but I'm awaiting legal consultation.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Help! Again! I made mac and cheese from the thread down below. I made too much sauce! Can I freeze it for later use?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Oh great, those recipes sound good and I have all of the ingredients on hand.

Also, I will be using venison instead of beef.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Oh great, those recipes sound good and I have all of the ingredients on hand.

Also, I will be using venison instead of beef.
Wow, please post results. Venison is one of my very favorite things in the whole wide world!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Okay so I think I'm going to smoke a brisket this weekend. Thing is, I'm bored of the usual faux-tex mex rub I usually do. Someone give me an interesting one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hutzpah posted:

I usually just go with olive oil, lots of lemon, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Lots and lots of everything. The best souvlaki is heavily flavored

Yeah, that's what I'm using. Often add some balsamic vinegar too. Just always looking for new things to try.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Isn't there a thread about preparing/eating organ meats? I just realized that I've had a "ewww liver" stance without ever actually eating any of it.. ever. And thats really dumb because it may be delicious and I'm missing out. Its also jam packed with vitamins and minerals (yay health!). Tripe freaks me out on a visual level though. I might work up to it one day :unsmith:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best thing is to jump straight in at the deep end. Next time you get the opportunity, order Andouillette. Don't ask what it is, just order it and eat it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Casu Marzu posted:

Okay so I think I'm going to smoke a brisket this weekend. Thing is, I'm bored of the usual faux-tex mex rub I usually do. Someone give me an interesting one.

I did one a while back using Asian spices - coriander, ginger, ground star anise, etc. and I made a mop from reduced ginger beer. It was really delicious. My sister had an allergic reaction to something in it, though, so I'm going to have to reserve that for barbecues she's not attending :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Scientastic posted:

The best thing is to jump straight in at the deep end. Next time you get the opportunity, order Andouillette. Don't ask what it is, just order it and eat it.

This advice is best taken when you know where in the world you are

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You're right. I should have prefaced that statement with "go to Paris".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was lucky enough to be with other people who ordered it Dordogne region and they boiled it after stuffing it with itself and according to those who ate it as if it hadn't been properly washed.

I'm trying not to give away what it is here I guess

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jose posted:

I was lucky enough to be with other people who ordered it Dordogne region and they boiled it after stuffing it with itself and according to those who ate it as if it hadn't been properly washed.

I'm trying not to give away what it is here I guess

Chitlins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

scuz posted:

Wow, please post results. Venison is one of my very favorite things in the whole wide world!

Will do! I actually only eat venison and I am always looking for new recipes. Should have some thawed out and maybe I'll try one of the recipes tomorrow :)

I'm not sure what kind of noodles to use though. I'm not quite up to the challenge of making my own pasta (don't have a machine or anything) but I bought a package of those Reame's egg noodles from the grocery store.