Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Charlie Mopps posted:

It helps if you give some indication of what the spoiler is about.

Before the Tuchanka mission Mordin expresses his desire to have some peace and quiet to himself after the war is over since his species doesn't live for very long. He mentions something about wanting to study seashells. On Tuchanka, when you're about to cure the genophage, something happens to the tower where it will be dispersed and Mordin steps up to the task of seeing it through since there is no other option and he is the only one who knows how to handle it. Right before he steps into the elevator he tells Shep that he has no regrets but that he would have liked to run tests on the seashells. Moments later the tower he is in explodes killing Mordin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SyRauk posted:

Before the Tuchanka mission Mordin expresses his desire to have some peace and quiet to himself after the war is over since his species doesn't live for very long. He mentions something about wanting to study seashells. On Tuchanka, when you're about to cure the genophage, something happens to the tower where it will be dispersed and Mordin steps up to the task of seeing it through since there is no other option and he is the only one who knows how to handle it. Right before he steps into the elevator he tells Shep that he has no regrets but that he would have liked to run tests on the seashells. Moments later the tower he is in explodes killing Mordin.

This is the funniest goddamn thing ever. I'm crying tears, I'm laughing so hard at this post.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

SyRauk posted:

That's not what he meant. He's saying your post should have looked like this.

SyRauk posted:

Tuchanka mission ending: "Would have liked to run tests on the seashells." :gbsmith:

Too slow. :shepface:
\/

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

freeforumuser posted:

Regarding Tali: Yes, but by then it's pretty late into the game.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. Better than nothing though.

Schubalts posted:

You meet up with every party member again.

I heard that some don't actually join your squad again. I'd love to have Miranda back if I could. She grew on me in ME2.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
What i meant was that a completely black line is not really helpful because it can be about the first hour of the game or the ending. So it would be nice if it was "On Tuchanka <blablabla>".

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SyRauk posted:

I think we've got a new thread title.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Bleh. I utterly failed my first playthrough of this game. Poor decisions all around. Early on didn't revisit the Citadel so couldn't warn Kelly Chambers, so she died. This also squandered my only opportunity to meet Kasumi (sucked even more because it removed her from the final mission's communication options, and I couldn't even call her and say one last hello before the mission began), as well as Thane, who apparently died in some circumstance I was only aware of because his name showed up on the loving crew quarters death plaque. I purposely avoided one of the missions on Rannoch and opted to do the reaper base instead, which I'm relatively sure flagged me as unable to make peace between the Geth and Quarians (It's not a huge deal, the Quarians were huge douchebags anyway, but gently caress why did Legion and Tali have to die - even a paragon interrupt couldn't save suicidegirl). Despite talking to Joker and EDI every chance I got including every stop at the Citadel the only reference to any romance between them I saw was EDI mentioning a kiss for luck before the final mission. Also, I failed the paragon/renegade check at the end with TIM like others have posted before me, despite having a full reputation bar from doing as much of the side quests as possible, and getting into any conversations available.

Shepard dying at the end seemed like an inevitability since one choice was death, and the other shut down electronics (which I thought Shepard needed to live, being rebuilt with cybernetic implants, but apparently not?). I wasn't about to kill the geth since I backed them so strongly before, and also out of respect for my bro Legion. Overall, the whole ending just totally bummed me out.

Ah well, the gameplay was pretty solid and now I think I'll do some multiplayer.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm going to need to sit down with a loving guide all the way through this game so nothing bad happens, aren't I?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
^Bad things happen regardless.

quote:

Ah well, the gameplay was pretty solid and now I think I'll do some multiplayer.

You did a great job at being a bad RPG player I guess.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So, more ending spoilers/questions: I tried both the "green" and the "blue" ending, both leaving my Shep dead, I assume, but they were the good endings insofar as no-one else dying during the final cutscenes. Are there any real differences between the good and bad endings beyond that? As I understand it, the only way Shep lives is by choosing the "Red" ending, anyway. I assume the reason I couldn't save Anderson (even though I shot the illusive man) is because the final paragon/renegade option was greyed out for me- but I guess that wouldn't really have any effect on the ending, anyway.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet, so my readiness rating is at only 50%, leaving my effective military readiness at 2848, with my total at twice that, I guess. effective military readiness-stuff: this was enough to give me the good cinematic when the final reaper attack begins, anyway. Would having any more military readiness have made any difference beyond that cinematic?

Also; no unmasking for Tali in this game either? Pfft. That's the kind of stuff new game+ should add.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 8, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SyRauk posted:

oh my god

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

I think we've got a new thread title.

"Mordin and Shepard at Tuchanka. Mordin and Shepard on the ocean. Seashells, when the walls fell."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Read through the first 17 pages of this thread...some questions that I didn't see answered:

1) How does scanning work? I've hovered over some planets and blasted the left trigger, and nothing...

2) Apparently there is a timer and I need to to subquests as they come up? When do the subquests start? I just went through and got Garrus and the last thing that happened was EDI took on the form of that Doctor

3) I'm a solider right now, but there's so many other builds that look really loving cool. Is there any way to respec to a different class, or am I hosed unless I restart?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

nwin posted:

Read through the first 17 pages of this thread...some questions that I didn't see answered:

1) How does scanning work? I've hovered over some planets and blasted the left trigger, and nothing...

2) Apparently there is a timer and I need to to subquests as they come up? When do the subquests start? I just went through and got Garrus and the last thing that happened was EDI took on the form of that Doctor

3) I'm a solider right now, but there's so many other builds that look really loving cool. Is there any way to respec to a different class, or am I hosed unless I restart?

1. Right click to open up that scanning thing, then just follow the white indicator to whatever the planet has to offer. Once that line is gone, there's nothing left to probe.

2. I dunno if there's any timers; I might have missed out on some companion quests, if there are any, but I pretty much did every sidequest at my own leisure this time around, and they hung around until I was ready to complete them.

3. There's no way to change your class.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 8, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Smelly posted:

I heard that some don't actually join your squad again. I'd love to have Miranda back if I could. She grew on me in ME2.

She does contact you over the course of the story. I haven't reached the end of her line, so I don't know if she joins or not, yet.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

nwin posted:

You can respec your class, but you cant change to another class.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
I'm going to play Vanguard on my next play through, but right now I'm playing Soldier cause my Shep has always been a Soldier.

I have max specced adrenaline rush and concussion shot. What weapons are recommended? I have an assault rifle and a Pistol, currently. I want to take a sniper rifle but right now I'm used to being permanatly in Adrenaline Rush in a state of one-ness with the Matrix.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Schubalts posted:

She does contact you over the course of the story. I haven't reached the end of her line, so I don't know if she joins or not, yet.

Miranda does not join you.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
So I fired the game up last night and imported my Mass Effect 2 Shep who is like level 25.

I was a Sentinel in ME2, but I've been considering switching over to Vanguard. I played about the first hour or so as a Vanguard, and I kind of hate the lack of tech armor and general squishiness.

Why does everyone seem to love the Vanguard so much? What am I missing out on?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zilkin posted:

I think they might be talking about a different elevator.

NOOOOOOoooo....

:cripes:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I gave up and rebuilt my Shepard since importing doesn't work as advertised. The first forty minutes I played was pretty disappointing:

1. Facial animations and lipsynching are poor. What happened? It's painful to watch cut scenes when the body animations seem to work but the faces are out of sync. Because of this the cutscenes make characters look like dead-eyed robots.

2. Lighting looks like Gears of War. Everyone has the skin of a bad patch of road. ME1 and ME 2 had a particular look with the way they used lighting and now it's so harsh people look freaky.

3. I can't holster my weapon. Am I really going to spend the entire game running around looking down the barrel of my gun like I'm piloting a tank? Mass Effect has wonderful environments and now I'm forced to experience it through a toilet paper tube. It's claustrophobic and frustrating. I'm constantly wanting to zoom out so I can see more around me.

I know everyone else loves this game but I feel like the Mass Effect touch is absent, like they picked up the art assets and voice actors but abandoned everything else. I am bummed.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I gave up and rebuilt my Shepard since importing doesn't work as advertised. The first forty minutes I played was pretty disappointing:

1. Facial animations and lipsynching are poor. What happened? It's painful to watch cut scenes when the body animations seem to work but the faces are out of sync. Because of this the cutscenes make characters look like dead-eyed robots.

2. Lighting looks like Gears of War. Everyone has the skin of a bad patch of road. ME1 and ME 2 had a particular look with the way they used lighting and now it's so harsh people look freaky.

3. I can't holster my weapon. Am I really going to spend the entire game running around looking down the barrel of my gun like I'm piloting a tank? Mass Effect has wonderful environments and now I'm forced to experience it through a toilet paper tube. It's claustrophobic and frustrating. I'm constantly wanting to zoom out so I can see more around me.

I know everyone else loves this game but I feel like the Mass Effect touch is absent, like they picked up the art assets and voice actors but abandoned everything else. I am bummed.

Keep playing, the beginning is the weakest part (well, except for maybe the end, but i havent seen it yet).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, EDI spits out an "As you command".

Come on, Bioware, just do the line properly, everyone gets it, no one cares.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Charlie Mopps posted:

Keep playing, the beginning is the weakest part (well, except for maybe the end, but i havent seen it yet).

The beginning, just like in ME2, is bad mostly because you cannot skip it.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

Rei_ posted:

Vanguard Insanity.

See you guys in a year.

Easier than you think. Just have Liara with you at all times for stasis.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Substandard posted:

So I fired the game up last night and imported my Mass Effect 2 Shep who is like level 25.

I was a Sentinel in ME2, but I've been considering switching over to Vanguard. I played about the first hour or so as a Vanguard, and I kind of hate the lack of tech armor and general squishiness.

Why does everyone seem to love the Vanguard so much? What am I missing out on?

This. Is vanguard just weak at the beginning when your shotties aren't upgraded or something? Or what should I be maxing my spec points in?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Archer2338 posted:

This. Is vanguard just weak at the beginning when your shotties aren't upgraded or something? Or what should I be maxing my spec points in?

Max out charge, nova and then the class bonus and fitness to make you less squishy.

And remember your ABCs: Always Be Chargin!

Seriously. Just carry a SMG or Pistol for when you need it and ram yourself into everything.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So forgive me if this as been asked and answered already, but is anyone else having issues with the game freezing up? in the couple hours I've managed to play it it has froze on me at least 6 times. Heck I tried twice to play it today and it froze while trying to go to the load screen and froze once before it even got to the start menu. So far this game has been more unreliable then Alpha Protocol, which if it wasn't so frustrating to me would be impressive. I tried installing it hoping that would fix some of the problems but no luck.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
When is the point of no return so far as checking your fleet points go? I'm hoping I didn't just skip past it without saving by starting the fight against TIM's station

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Murodese posted:

When is the point of no return so far as checking your fleet points go? I'm hoping I didn't just skip past it without saving by starting the fight against TIM's station

You did, but when you beat the game it pops you back right before that choice.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Tricky posted:

You did, but when you beat the game it pops you back right before that choice.

Huzzah, I don't have to kill myself

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
A question about finding (ME2 character) Kelly on the Citadel. Does their name appear on the map like all the other important people, or not?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I am avoiding spoilers and therefore have not read the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but if I take the weight limit bonus at level 6 of combat mastery, does that improve my cooldown bonus? e.g. if my loadout put me at the limit before the upgrade and under it after the upgrade.

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?
Why did they change female Shepard's walking and running animations? :smith:

I just finished my ME2 Shepard last night and imported her today, and it feels so jarring to me for her to go from 'I don't give a gently caress' to what seems to be a toned down version of Hawke's run from DA2.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The Milkman posted:

So is anyone else's game crashing repeatedly after watching the video of The Protheans on Eden Prime? Because mine is!

You probably already figured this out but in case anyone else runs into it you have to go the other console first or the game crashes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Toast Museum posted:

I am avoiding spoilers and therefore have not read the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but if I take the weight limit bonus at level 6 of combat mastery, does that improve my cooldown bonus? e.g. if my loadout put me at the limit before the upgrade and under it after the upgrade.

Yes, raising your weight limit improves your cooldown bonus.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

KariOhki posted:

A question about finding (ME2 character) Kelly on the Citadel. Does their name appear on the map like all the other important people, or not?

It does.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Gadzuko posted:

Ok, the ending guide is either incorrect or is talking about total strength and not effective strength. I just re-ran the ending with 7k total strength and 70% readiness for 4900 effective strength. Ending spoilers: I didn't save Anderson (no idea how to do this, I passed all paragon checks with TIM), I chose to destroy the Reapers and Shepard survived. According to the guide I needed 5k strength in order to do that, so maybe it only requires 2500 effective?

Tank mentioned this in the other thread. There's one event that reduces the required assets by 1000.

The thing that most people are missing about total strength and the ending is it's only 5k if you don't get the final conversation with Anderson. If you do it's 4k. What's really dumb about this is that you don't need to persuade TIM. You need to interrupt him. I interrupted him and had around 8k strength. My destroy ending was Shepherd lives.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Question for XBOX 360 players: Is there a patch in the works that makes it so you have to change discs more frequently? I'm sick of only having to swap discs out every fifteen minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Rei_ posted:

I'm going to need to sit down with a loving guide all the way through this game so nothing bad happens, aren't I?

The guide won't save you from the poo poo ending, sadly. I still feel like I got rickrolled in space or something.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 8, 2012

• Locked thread