Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

poser posted:

They have started the process of adding 2 more sheets of ice.

They have? Parking is already bad enough on baseball game nights. They put out signs saying no baseball parking but don't actually put anyone out to enforce it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyMortgage
Sep 21, 2006
I used to have dozens of fans.

MSwen23 posted:

Did you sign up on a team with friends or go through the Free Agency sheet in the SRF?

I did the free agency sheet, but someone called the first 15 or so people on the list and we made a team completely out of free agents. We were terrible but it was still worth it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So the basic consensus is that April/May is when the good sales come out for places revolving stock for next year's gear?

Any good places to keep an eye on for coupons and whatnot?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sevorak posted:

They have? Parking is already bad enough on baseball game nights. They put out signs saying no baseball parking but don't actually put anyone out to enforce it :downs:

The construction going on is fixing/improving all the electrical and I guess the plan after that is to add 1-2 sheets. The San Jose Giants are going to have to move if the A's move to town but SJSU uses the stadium too. Maybe they will buy the lot across the street.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

So the basic consensus is that April/May is when the good sales come out for places revolving stock for next year's gear?

Any good places to keep an eye on for coupons and whatnot?

That's when new gear hits usually. You should be looking now.

The problem is by the time coupons roll around a lot of the stuff you want is gone unless you're a very uncommon size. There are skates from the 2010 model year at some sites that are a really good price, but only if you are a 12.0D. Also a lot of gear is protected by MAP (minimum advertised price), which is hard for places to get around. You'll sometimes see coupons go up like they did a few weeks ago but not work for any top brand stuff because that stuff is under a MAP.

Hockeygiant already had a 15% off anything Bauer or Mission in their store that they couldn't offer online, which was a great way for them to start trimming down the stock of equipment

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EvilTwig posted:

Week 2 instructional hockey trip report: My face hurts from smiling.

Sweet. Most fun you've had doing anything, right? That's what I tell people all the time.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
Is there anything I can do about my skate blade getting a bend in it? It has happened 3 times in 7 games and the sharper was able to straighten it just fine. I usually notice near the end of the game the my right foot is getting wobbly. I am assuming this is because I am overweight. Weird thing is that it only happens on my right skate. Could it be mis-aligned somehow? Is there higher quality steel blades out there?

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah

ZebraBlade posted:

Is there anything I can do about my skate blade getting a bend in it? It has happened 3 times in 7 games and the sharper was able to straighten it just fine. I usually notice near the end of the game the my right foot is getting wobbly. I am assuming this is because I am overweight. Weird thing is that it only happens on my right skate. Could it be mis-aligned somehow? Is there higher quality steel blades out there?

This is a bit baffling for me. How old are the blades? I have never heard of this happening. I play at about 270 right now. I usually play at 220 to 240 and have never had this problem. What brand skates?

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Sweet. Most fun you've had doing anything, right? That's what I tell people all the time.

Its the most fun you can have with your breezers on

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ZebraBlade posted:

It's not because you're overweight, unless you weigh over 300lbs or something and like to walk around on rocks just before ice time. You either have a bad blade (less likely), are getting bad sharpenings (more likely), or have loose steel (which you should notice right away).

As an A-B split test, take your skates elsewhere the next time you get them sharpened and see if the problem persists. That'll tell you where the problem lies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also ask other players and maybe your coach where the best places are to get a sharpening done. A lot of this stuff is word of mouth, so you might be getting stuck with the worst skate technician in the region just because you don't know there's anything better.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

It's not because you're overweight, unless you weigh over 300lbs or something and like to walk around on rocks just before ice time. You either have a bad blade (less likely), are getting bad sharpenings (more likely), or have loose steel (which you should notice right away).

As an A-B split test, take your skates elsewhere the next time you get them sharpened and see if the problem persists. That'll tell you where the problem lies.
Well I am 360 as of last night so weight could be a factor. There is only one place in town to have skates sharpened. I will take them to another guy while im out of town next week. I emailed Easton about it so I will see what they say.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ZebraBlade posted:

Well I am 360 as of last night so weight could be a factor. There is only one place in town to have skates sharpened. I will take them to another guy while im out of town next week. I emailed Easton about it so I will see what they say.

Skate blades are made of stainless steel. I'm not an engineer, but a quick google suggests it requires thousands of pounds of pressure to deform even cheap steel.

But this could just mean I don't know what you mean by "bending". Are you losing edges? Is the blade actually warping? Which way is it warping.. bending left or right, or flattening out the curve, or what?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I am not good at explaining but, Looking at a blade it normally looks like a | a straight line, but mine is slightly bent outward in the middle so it looks like a ) but much less drastic. It is hard to notice unless you look down the side of the blade while holding it up to light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm going to assume it's just a bad blade. Googling around it looks like it happens occasionally.. even found some guys complaining that a bad rivet can cause the runner to warp, which in turn warps the blade.

I'd ask your local skate shop guy about it, see if he can spot problems. Maybe harass the manufacturer to do some warranty work as it would definitely qualify as a manufacturing defect.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah

ZebraBlade posted:

I am not good at explaining but, Looking at a blade it normally looks like a | a straight line, but mine is slightly bent outward in the middle so it looks like a ) but much less drastic. It is hard to notice unless you look down the side of the blade while holding it up to light.

Definitely try and see if Easton will help you out. If that fails, pick up a new pair of blades and install them. It isn't too hard to do for most skates. Try pulling your insert and and make sure that "if" there are the bolts there for releasing the blades that they are tight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, quick question: how annoying do people find it to shout advice from the bench? Is it useful at all?

I tend to get chatty when dudes are running their five minute shifts because I get bored, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing because no one else seems to do it.

I'm not talking coaching either, just stuff like whether a dude has some open ice or not.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

So, quick question: how annoying do people find it to shout advice from the bench? Is it useful at all?

I tend to get chatty when dudes are running their five minute shifts because I get bored, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing because no one else seems to do it.

I'm not talking coaching either, just stuff like whether a dude has some open ice or not.

I'm like Marty Biron on the bench: constantly yelling encouragement or telling someone they've got a man coming from behind or have time or whatever.

Then on the ice I completely ignore bench chatter. I'm not paying attention to it and don't know where it's coming from or if it's directed at me. So, on the one hand, I'm not really annoyed by it (and engage in it), but on the other hand it doesn't really help me at all.

So, after having a huge mess on the bench last game over having too many dudes / getting the lines hosed up, the co-captains of my team went ahead and made up permanent lines. That's not a terrible idea but they decided to stick me on D despite me only playing maybe 3 periods there all season :confused:

I guess that doesn't speak too well for my goal-scoring ability.

So I guess I really really need to work on my forward to backward / backward to forward transitions. I'm probably 95% smooth on one side but like 50% on the other. In one of the few periods I was playing D so far I fell down on a 1 v 1 and the opposing forward got so excited that he fumbled the puck and put himself offside.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 8, 2012

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah

xzzy posted:

I shout from the bench out of sheer habit in the men's leagues. I hope others dont mind it because it is hard for me to stop. I also don't really hear it too much if anyone is doing it on my team. Im sure they arent though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Usually I shout "anyone tired?" after the first 7 minutes of their shift.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

I keep mostly quiet, though I'm one of the youngest on my team and don't want to upset any of the older players. General stuff that everyone is yelling, though: "You have time!" or "2 on, 2 on!" Simple stuff that isn't pointed at anyone in particular.

When I'm on the ice I pretty much ignore everything or just can't hear it. With a helmet on, ice scraping, the speed at which things seem to be happening, and finally the echo of the barn we play in: I couldn't tell you what most people are saying. Occasionally I hear someone telling me to fly wider than I am and I pay attention to that, but mostly stick to my own routines and talk about it later.

We also have a player on our team who is deaf and I wonder why people ever yell anything at him.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
I stick to simple shouts, like "wheel!", "Time, time" and the number of guys on a break up ice, ie "2!" or "3!" Anything more than that is too complicated if they can even here you. On the ice, I'll yell if I'm open, by shouting their name, or yell "NO!" if they've seen me, think I'm open, when I'm really not, but that's about it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
As a goalie, I'm constantly chattering out there. When my skaters are coming back for loose pucks and have time I'll shout, "TIME, TIME!" or "little time!" if an opposing skater is slowly gaining. If the opposing skater is coming hard, I'll shout, "COMING HARD!" (teehee). If someone is back-checking my skater, I'll shout "One/two/etc on!" The big thing to listen for from your goalie is "BAAAAACK" for the one guy floating or I'll shout "SLOT!" if someone's unguarded in the slot. Get in my way and you'll hear a loud, "Screen!" On the breakout I also do a lot of "Hard up!" or "Up the boards!" to tell them straight up is open or "Back around" or "Hard around!" to tell them to send it back the other way around. I'm sure there's even more I'll yell.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people can't hear me on the longer things, but I get a lot of compliments for the shorter things.

Dangerllama posted:

Usually I shout "anyone tired?" after the first 7 minutes of their shift.
beer_league.txt

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I appreciate hearing "you've got time" or "guy on you" even though most of the time I know which I have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I'm trying to improve on the communication thing, so many guys out there skate the whole night in total silence.

Granted we skate so slow it's not a huge deal, but it's a good habit to get into anyways.

I'll continue shouting from the bench. :v:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Shouting from the bench can totally be useful, but you have to be very clear and deliberate.

We have a D man who is really good and pinching and scoring, so the forwards always need to be ready to cover for them. If we see a gap we'll yell from the bench, but for a long time we'd just yell "cover D!" and nobody would do it. Now we've made it a rule to pick a person an yell their name specifically and it's helped quite a bit.

Just don't scream "Don't do (x)!" immediately after someone has made an obvious bonehead mistake. There's a guy on my team who does this, not in a humorous way but because he seems to think people make mistakes deliberately to slight him or something and thus he must immediately teach hockey 101 to you from the bench any time you do something dumb by mistake.

"DON'T PASS IT DOWN THE MIDDLE LIKE THAT IN FRONT OF OUR NET!"
"I AM AWARE THANK YOU!"

:argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I habitually yell out "gently caress" whenever I screw up, just so people nearby are aware I know I messed up and can save their breath telling me what not to do.

I suppose this runs the risk of everyone thinking I'm a very angry person, but I'm not. Really!

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

xzzy posted:

I habitually yell out "gently caress" whenever I screw up, just so people nearby are aware I know I messed up and can save their breath telling me what not to do.

I suppose this runs the risk of everyone thinking I'm a very angry person, but I'm not. Really!

You can also be assessed a minor penalty for such caveman like outbursts. :colbert:

We have the same issue with our D-guys pinching. Usually it's both of them, and they're both below the goal line. This is, obviously, not ideal. Our entire bench starts screaming to "get back" , "cover d" , and the like. Not too sure it's helpful, because they tend to ignore us. This might also just be a personnel problem.

Our captain this season has given serious thought to bringing in a bench coach. Reasoning that s/he can just call out line changes and take note of matchups/whats going on in the game, in addition to providing instruction from the bench. I was very against this until I realized we had two other teams in our league (D-league mens roller) that use this tactic.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

cenzo posted:

Our captain this season has given serious thought to bringing in a bench coach. Reasoning that s/he can just call out line changes and take note of matchups/whats going on in the game, in addition to providing instruction from the bench. I was very against this until I realized we had two other teams in our league (D-league mens roller) that use this tactic.

We had one of our guys do this while he was suspended for 3 games and it was actually pretty helpful. Then he started trying to line-juggle and get matchups and it just made people pissed off about icetime/complication.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I love getting a break away off of the defensive zone face-off. Make it to the opponent's blue line and lose the puck when I boot it on it's side like a wheel. At least I cleared the puck, right?

I have some ice time tomorrow morning to practice my puck carrying.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bradf0rd posted:

As a goalie, I'm constantly chattering out there. ...

I wish my regular goalie would yell at us more. I played with a sub a few weeks ago who was really good as far as giving us heads-up about coverage during the play. Our regular goalie is good at seeing the game and telling us during the intermissions where to look for holes and take advantage of the other team's breakdowns but never yells anything at us during play.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I chat a lot on the ice, but have yet to find an effective way to tell a forward who is trying to deke 2 defensemen to drop it back to me for a shot. I've tried, "I'm behind you <player's name>." and "Trailing!"

Anyone got anything else I should try?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

trilljester posted:

I chat a lot on the ice, but have yet to find an effective way to tell a forward who is trying to deke 2 defensemen to drop it back to me for a shot. I've tried, "I'm behind you <player's name>." and "Trailing!"

I do a lot of drop passes near the blue line, but I never ever do it if someone is shouting at me, because it can be hard to impossible to tell if it's a teammate or an opponent loving with me. Hell, I constantly shout "behind" or "drop" specifically to gently caress with the other team in these situations so that might be why :v:

Maybe try just their name, although I still won't drop it in that situation because I play against too many guys that know my name.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^so what you're saying is you do blind drop passes at the blue line? :gonk:

trilljester posted:

You could try not playing with douchebags who try to deke 2 defensemen instead of listening to their teammate behind them? v:shobon:v

edit: to be more constructive, talk to the guy after the play or on the bench or whatever and let him know what you're intending to do when he's trying to split the D. Also make sure you're far enough behind him and prob at an angle as well - if he's good enough he can sell the D on a shot or fake going wide to draw one or both (if they're bad) off away from your angle. Come up with a word to use that lets him know you're doing that.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 10, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was casually browsing some equipment at Sport Chek today because I will soon need new pants and probably skates and gloves, and I put on a pair of lacrosse gloves. They were ridiculously comfortable and gave so much more control, so my question is: what would be the draw back to using them for hockey?

The padding was similar if a bit less rigid, but having played field lacrosse you get slashed to gently caress in the hands so they have to hold up well. They covered the same amount on the back of the wrist, but had very little padding on the inside of the wrist.

The only thing I could think of was wear on the gloves from ice/water. But I have to be missing something.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pleads posted:

The only thing I could think of was wear on the gloves from ice/water. But I have to be missing something.
The palms are a big thing. Before I bought my Pro-Roll's I used some old PG-22 gloves from lax because I loved the giant gloves that I could barely feel. Well after using 'em for a few times on the ice the palms started to wear off onto my hands.

I used them for a few more sessions but I quickly bought the Pro-Rolls and never looked back.

Really though if you play in a non-checking league you could get away with wearing them if you really wanted to.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go ahead and engineer-out the skate blade thing. It's possible at 360 pounds that you've created a stress concentration in the steel, and if there's a defect with the steel (much more possible than you'd think) it could be deforming your steel. There are many common steel defects that could be causing this issue.

That said, I still wouldn't call it likely. Check your sharpening.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Topoisomerase posted:

You could try not playing with douchebags who try to deke 2 defensemen instead of listening to their teammate behind them? v:shobon:v

edit: to be more constructive, talk to the guy after the play or on the bench or whatever and let him know what you're intending to do when he's trying to split the D. Also make sure you're far enough behind him and prob at an angle as well - if he's good enough he can sell the D on a shot or fake going wide to draw one or both (if they're bad) off away from your angle. Come up with a word to use that lets him know you're doing that.

I'm going to try and come up with some sort of keyword or phrases, I like that idea, just so the guy knows I'm there as an option. I like the idea of him drawing one or both away and leaving me alone. We actually ran a faceoff play at center like that and it worked, I was playing wing, he was playing center, I charged at the net hard, he followed behind me, I brought both D with me and it left him a clear shot at the goalie. :lol:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

^^^so what you're saying is you do blind drop passes at the blue line? :gonk:

No, what I'm saying is that I'll only drop it to a guy I know is there. Too many risks otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Maybe i'm not leaning enough into the turn, but if my one skate just kind of slides to the side when i'm trying to do a turn/crossover at speed, does that mean I might have to get skates sharpened?