Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

God dammit. I lost my old ME1 and 2 saves when I transferred hard drives, and now despite me faking them (downloading comparable ones from masseffectsaves and tweaking them to be exactly what my choices were with Gibbed's editor) neither ME2 or ME3 are recognizing them for import. :saddowns: What gives?

Make sure you follow the import guide on the masseffect2saves site. You need to have a specific folder structure; you can't just put the Save_####.pcsav file itself in your /saves folder, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004
I do have to admit I don't find the controls in combat very good. They want to create an open field of battle but the engine isn't really built for that. I get caught up on little rocks and find myself stuck for a second or two as I try and back up because I can't walk over a foot of dirt.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thoughts on ending
Thinking on it more the transcendence ending seems likely to be the canon ending (since it is the special one you need points for) but it comes out of left field so much for the ME universe the only thing that makes sense is it is setting up for followup games. I guess making everyone part cyber might smooth the transition to MMO mechanics.

I wonder how many years it will be before we get it properly explained. I mean is absolutely every thing in the universe part synthetic now including the big angry lizard guy race that the Shadow Broker belonged to? Is it just council races or just the collection of people at the end battle, etc?

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
So now that I've watched the other endings:

The big objection I have to the ending is one I've actually had a few times to recent works of epic sci-fi/fantasy. A lot of writers wrapping up big works seem to get worried that if the ending is a happy one they'll miss the catharsis, that the story won't be as meaningful or as epic. Arbitrarily sacrificing the protagonist is, frankly, usually the easiest and cheapest way out of this. You give them a "meaningful" sacrifice and assume that your audience will be suitably moved by their selflessness. Never mind if the choice they had to make was deus ex-d in last moment, or it didn't make sense in the first place. You have your tragic end to your great hero. You would think at the end of a three game trilogy they'd have come up with something less lazy than this.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

low-key-taco posted:

Thoughts on ending
Thinking on it more the transcendence ending seems likely to be the canon ending (since it is the special one you need points for) but it comes out of left field so much for the ME universe the only thing that makes sense is it is setting up for followup games. I guess making everyone part cyber might smooth the transition to MMO mechanics.

I wonder how many years it will be before we get it properly explained. I mean is absolutely every thing in the universe part synthetic now including the big angry lizard guy race that the Shadow Broker belonged to? Is it just council races or just the collection of people at the end battle, etc?

That... actually makes perfect sense. :ughh: And yeah. That whole thing isn't explained in the least. Are there going to be cyber-maws now? Cyber-pyjaks? Cyber-rabbits? Wouldn't the whole "radically altering the DNA of every thing in the galaxy in an instant" bit wipe out most everyone currently alive? Or is it hilarious super-magical DNA power and everyone's just going to sprout cyber-tentacles or something? Seriously the ending is hilariously bad and there's practically zero explanation before or after.

I want to see more from the ME universe, and I really hope it doesn't just get dumped into the MMO bin.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
hahahahahahahhaha pre-endgame spoilers you walk in on garrus and tali in whatever room garrus hangs out in before the final mission if you didnt romance either of them. garrus uses the old 'i thought she had a puncture in her visor' excuse

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, the IGN walkthrough is pretty bad, but it was the only one available at that point so it wasn't like there was much choice.

I wonder why they made these items so hard to see in ME3. Hell, in ME2 you could see every box of refined paladium or whatever from a mile away, now you pretty much need to scour every inch of the map.

Because people complained about how bright and obvious the markers were. I thought they were great because in ME3 I feel like I'm probably missing things.

Also, the particle beam is hideously broken. It's easy-mode, especially if you add the additional ammo upgrades - and then put AP ammo powers on it.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

I don't think so. They addressed importation. Here's the page: http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

Wow after watching those endings I have absolutely no will to replay through this game.

End game vids discusson
I cannot believe how little difference your choices make at the end of the game and how utterly pointless the ending seems to be and the post credits crap was. In every case the mass relays and the citadel get destroyed. Whats the point of choosing to retain the cycle, allowing the reapers to destroy all advance life, and having the mass relays destroyed in the process? I understand that the cycle plan wouldn't work anymore with the advent of the crucible, but why destroy the citadel all together? Why not just destroy the crucible pieces? I cant believe the only loving difference between the videos is the color of the explosions and the last bullshit crash Normandy landing. Furthermore how loving stupid is it to have joker land on that planet with his 'girlfriend' EDI? They cant reproduce! He's just going to grow old and die on that planet. Where is the hope in that message?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you import a Mass Effect 2 save if you don't have it installed on your PC? I formatted a while back and the only thing I took with me was the save file. Where do I place it?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Re: Kelly

I've heard conflicting reports saying that she's in the Normandy Docking Bay and the Refugee Area. I've checked both areas and I've yet to find her (Finished the Tuchanka bomb missions and am about to start the Rachni mission). I think my save is messed up. :(

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

onemanlan posted:

I cannot believe how little difference your choices make at the end of the game and how utterly pointless the ending seems to be and the post credits crap was. In every case the mass relays and the citadel get destroyed. Whats the point of choosing to retain the cycle, allowing the reapers to destroy all advance life, and having the mass relays destroyed in the process? I understand that the cycle plan wouldn't work anymore with the advent of the crucible, but why destroy the citadel all together? Why not just destroy the crucible pieces? I cant believe the only loving difference between the videos is the color of the explosions and the last bullshit crash Normandy landing. Furthermore how loving stupid is it to have joker land on that planet with his 'girlfriend' EDI? They cant reproduce! He's just going to grow old and die on that planet. Where is the hope in that message?

Ending:

You can't actually retain the cycle, whatever choice Shepard makes, the cycle is over. If he chooses control, he loses his physical form to control the reapers, the citadel is saved but the mass relays are presumably destroyed. If you choose synthesis, somehow all organics get synthetic "DNA" in them (seriously Bioware? Too much Battlestar Galactica), the cycle is ended, the reapers, citadel and mass relays are desroyed. Finally, the destroy one kills off the reapers, mass relays, synthetic AIs and the Citadel, but spares organics forever. This is also the only ending where Shepard lives.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Am I the only one that doesn't want a Mass Effect MMO? I want a ME4 instead :colbert:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

LazyDivey posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't want a Mass Effect MMO? I want a ME4 instead :colbert:

gently caress no I don't want it as an MMO! Did you witness the horror that was SW:TOR launch recently? I hardly trust Bioware at this point, but I sure as hell don't trust them with an MMO.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

LazyDivey posted:

I would prefer neither. MMOs are all terrible and while I wasn't super pleased with the ending Mass Effect did in fact end, something a lot of game series forget they're supposed to do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I kinda wish they had done something more with indoctrination. I understand that that's what Cerberus was up to, but you don't really get much meaningful impact other than "hey this Cerberus guy looks like a husk" and then the surprise TIM looks like a husk at the end. That should have been a real risk to your own crew or something, or Shepard him/herself.

Seeing it play out at the end was cool, with the dark tendrils and the whispering but like other people have said the Reapers are surprisingly under-utilized in the game.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

HelloNewman posted:

So I'm a huge idiot and have gone from 360 for Mass Effect 1 to the PC for Mass Effect 2 and now back to the 360 for the 3rd game. Is there any way for me to transfer my save from Mass Effect 2 on the PC to Mass Effect 3 on 360? I'd like to carry over my progress if possible.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php

Avocados posted:

How do you import a Mass Effect 2 save if you don't have it installed on your PC? I formatted a while back and the only thing I took with me was the save file. Where do I place it?

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Archer2338 posted:

Make sure you follow the import guide on the masseffect2saves site. You need to have a specific folder structure; you can't just put the Save_####.pcsav file itself in your /saves folder, apparently.

Yeah, I did as it says and it's STILL not recognizing my old saves. :psyduck:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Milky Moor posted:

Because people complained about how bright and obvious the markers were. I thought they were great because in ME3 I feel like I'm probably missing things.
Yeah, to be honest, I was kind of annoyed by them in ME2 too, but I wouldn't mind the markers being adjusted so that you couldn't see the item from a million miles away but didn't have to search every corner of the map with a metal detector either. I like being able to buy the stuff you missed, at least.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ham posted:

Ending:

You can't actually retain the cycle, whatever choice Shepard makes, the cycle is over. If he chooses control, he loses his physical form to control the reapers, the citadel is saved but the mass relays are presumably destroyed. If you choose synthesis, somehow all organics get synthetic "DNA" in them (seriously Bioware? Too much Battlestar Galactica), the cycle is ended, the reapers, citadel and mass relays are desroyed. Finally, the destroy one kills off the reapers, mass relays, synthetic AIs and the Citadel, but spares organics forever. This is also the only ending where Shepard lives.

All of these endings are really stupid because it doesn't solve the problem posed in the first place. Also what about the overuse of Mass Effect? or something? Ugh.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goddamn I have seen some bad game endings in my time but this games ending is the loving shittiest ending I have ever seen. :ughh:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GreenBuckanneer posted:

All of these endings are really stupid because it doesn't solve the problem posed in the first place. Also what about the overuse of Mass Effect? or something? Ugh.

Ending
They 100% dropped the dark energy/over use of mass effect plot line early in development. Which is one reason things seem so disjointed.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So is there a way to take the helmets off of the buyable armor? I figured the Inferno Armor would be good for my current Engineer playthrough but that big, doofy-looking, Not Iron Man helmet is kind of dumb.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Suben posted:

So is there a way to take the helmets off of the buyable armor? I figured the Inferno Armor would be good for my current Engineer playthrough but that big, doofy-looking, Not Iron Man helmet is kind of dumb.

Not that I know of.

Regarding the continuation of the franchise, I don't think an MMO is plausible. Wouldn't it compete with SW:TOR, their own other MMO?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So uh, why is Wrex alive when I killed him in the interactive comic? I'm on the PS3 version, obviously.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cyra posted:

So uh, why is Wrex alive when I killed him in the interactive comic? I'm on the PS3 version, obviously.

...and you have a problem with this?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cyra posted:

A more important question is why you would do that.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I just read the ending and... does the game make up for it? That's some lovely, lovely, lovely writing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have a link to a trainer that works with current version / isn't infested with viruses? I'm starting up a second run through and I'd like to screw around with some cheats.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So far my main annoyance with this game is how many of the sidequests are "go find this! gently caress you, we're not telling you where it is, fly around the galaxy scanning aimlessly!" variety. I'm all paranoid about not getting them all; I want that military strength so bad.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is the mission involving the Rachni and Grunt a priority mission? I was sure it was a side mission, but it had a fair bit of post mission dialogue and updated the priority mission.

I hope it wasn't, I was trying to do all the available side missions before doing the next priority.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm a little more concerned about the game not accounting for the choices I made than I am about killing a goon favorite character, sorry.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Suben posted:

Options > Narrative > Remove Helmet

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bioware please release a DLC that is like a gym and you're working out except the punching bag is Al Jilani.

I will gladly give you $10

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's a game it's not supposed to "carry over" your items or anything from a different video game.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Vivec posted:

I just read the ending and... does the game make up for it? That's some lovely, lovely, lovely writing.

Make up for it in what sense? The rest of the game is great if that's what you mean, the ending is sprung on you as a completely new concept in the last 10 minutes. You literally go from saving Earth, humanity and galactic civilization to making decisions that can affect the entire galaxy for thousands of years.

Viridiant posted:

Is the mission involving the Rachni and Grunt a priority mission? I was sure it was a side mission, but it had a fair bit of post mission dialogue and updated the priority mission.

I hope it wasn't, I was trying to do all the available side missions before doing the next priority.

No, it isn't.

Ham fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 9, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Viridiant posted:

There is only one mission that starts a timer and before you do that the commander asks you if you are sure you want go ahead cause there is no turning back, etc so don't worry about it.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Just finished the game. Really kind of dissatisfied with the endings.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Krogan Scouts Mission

Oh geez, who do I choose?? :ohdear:

Edit: Nevermind

Grunt :stare: :black101:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 9, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

tehllama posted:

So now that I've watched the other endings:

The big objection I have to the ending is one I've actually had a few times to recent works of epic sci-fi/fantasy. A lot of writers wrapping up big works seem to get worried that if the ending is a happy one they'll miss the catharsis, that the story won't be as meaningful or as epic. Arbitrarily sacrificing the protagonist is, frankly, usually the easiest and cheapest way out of this. You give them a "meaningful" sacrifice and assume that your audience will be suitably moved by their selflessness. Never mind if the choice they had to make was deus ex-d in last moment, or it didn't make sense in the first place. You have your tragic end to your great hero. You would think at the end of a three game trilogy they'd have come up with something less lazy than this.

See, and that's honestly all nonsense to me. I didn't want some bizarre god end. I'd have been happy as poo poo with a picture of Shep and Liara on a beach somewhere. Garrus helping Tali build her new house (Those two romance if you didn't romance either). Ten thousand Geth saying "We are... Legion." Joker teaching EDI to laugh. Vega and Ashley playing poker. That would have been the catharsis. I could go on but you get the idea. Story over. Good guys won.

Then, because this is a ME game where choices build your future, there should be another where none of that happens and people die all over the place. Make the good one hard to get and make this what most people see when they first finish the game. Give me a reason to get it right.

Maybe another in the middle that is halfway between? I don't know.

I wanted a resolution to Shepard's story, not some deus ex machina about the whole galaxy. I didn't play this game because of the galaxy, I played it because of Shepard and the people around her that gave everything to save it. That's what I wanted to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

keyframe posted:

There is only one mission that starts a timer and before you do that the commander asks you if you are sure you want go ahead cause there is no turning back, etc so don't worry about it.

Actually I lost some side-quests along the way because I didn't finish them in time before a certain event. Cerbeus coup

• Locked thread