Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

thunderthief posted:

sometimes used to identify unofficial versions or even single out specific copies so they know who's rear end to kick for leaking something, i know some early versions of CDs say "this is so and so's copy" at the beginning, this usage is copy protection

that reminds me of when prerelease tracks sometimes have weird samples over top. I can't think of any examples right now but I know there's been songs that don't sound right to me without that poo poo lol.

also now I'm back to listening to old Boosie tracks thanks to this page. could seriously listen to that brand of depressing rear end rap forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i remember i had one copy of something that was like "this is scott jenkins copy" blah blah blah

i bet he ended up on a milk carton

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I thought DJ drops was more about identifying the dj who produced the track. Its too easy to lift someone else's mix or tracks and repackage it your own. DJ drops prevent that completely. I hate hearing club DJ's play someone else's mix.

The other question is why are DJs producing so many mixtapes. I think (IMO) DJs have a built-in local or regional base of listeners. Likewise, they have the potential to break artists in their regions. Its nothing for them to pull an artist into a studio and whip up something presentable without a hassle, which is too time consuming for labels to do or expensive for individual artists.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Yeah sure but not all djs make beats - for example I don't think Funkmaster Flex produced any beats for The Game album "PURP & PATRON" but he is yelling all over that poo poo. He keeps saying "I can't believe you let me touch down on this poo poo". Maybe he did some arranging but its not his music he is more of a curator than a creator.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

yeah drops are usually just for whoever's putting out the mixtape, not the actual producer. it's kinda just a dickwaving thing (look who got so and so's exclusive)

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
speaking of EXCLUSIVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1Q14N6G-g&feature=player_embedded!

the link heard round the world (limp bizkit feat lil wayne lol)

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

i dunno anything about grime but i thought this was pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOwSEpYLKg

edit: /\/\ ohhhh poo poo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thunderthief posted:

speaking of EXCLUSIVE:

Birdman is a consumate businessman...does this mean he really thinks Cash Money/Young Money can engineer a successful national Limp Bizkit revival? And what if he actually can?
Isn't that enough reason for like, Israel to launch a raid on his record studio? That's a worse WMD than anything Iran has.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Haha wow that's pretty much what I expected.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thunderthief posted:

speaking of EXCLUSIVE:

love how all 3 people in that bar/club/whatever are feeling it. ish.

not gonna lie though if you dont really listen to what fred durst says in N2 gether now its not half bad. wouldnt be surprised if method man wrote the whole thing though.

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2012

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Big K.R.I.T.'s new mixtape, "4Eva N A Day" is out, download it.
Sounds like... K.R.I.T.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I really want it but my internet is killing me atm. Got about 4 hours and 58 mins left on the download :geno:

In better news, I got really into Schoolboy Q over the last week or so. The countless reccs in this thread finally made it through to me. Habits and Contradictions is sahweeeet. Gonna out myself as a moron here, but for a while my eyes would glaze over whenever I saw ppl talking about Q, thinking that ppl were on about Schoolly D for some reason.

Edit: best songs off H&C are clearly: Druggys Wit Hoes Again, Hands on the Wheel and There He Go.

Edit2: I'm also partial to Sex Drive, beat sounds like a Benga/Magnetic Man tune. Also, Lex Luger is the producer on Grooveline pt.1 :monocle: Never would've guessed from the song alone.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 5, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Angryhead posted:

Sounds like... K.R.I.T.
AKA better than most niggas albums

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I'm seein the official release show this week.

He's definitely better than most lately.

I tried to go on Thursday but we showed up a week early...drankin...

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
i listened to half of KRITs new tape and I liked it OK but got sorta bored so I went back to Juicy J's new tape does that make me a bad person

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
Well, I posted this in GBS but I'ma post it here, too. Some producer friends of mine, Lo Phi and BoomBaptist, are gonna be featured in a documentary that has a Kickstarter going. It's already got 3500 dollars, the limit is 5000. They're really sick producers (I know I post my poo poo here a lot but quite honestly they're a lot better than me, haha... I tell myself it's alright cause I'm younger then them...) BoomBaptist did a 45 remix of Guilty Simpson on Fat Beats (through Insect Records, which is the label of the other guy in the documentary, Butcher Bear) and Lo Phi was the Austin beat battle winner who has a new album out on iTunes!

Here's the GBS thread, and here's the Kickstarter! Thanks!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

glorp posted:

Well, I posted this in GBS but I'ma post it here, too. Some producer friends of mine, Lo Phi and BoomBaptist, are gonna be featured in a documentary that has a Kickstarter going. It's already got 3500 dollars, the limit is 5000. They're really sick producers (I know I post my poo poo here a lot but quite honestly they're a lot better than me, haha... I tell myself it's alright cause I'm younger then them...) BoomBaptist did a 45 remix of Guilty Simpson on Fat Beats (through Insect Records, which is the label of the other guy in the documentary, Butcher Bear) and Lo Phi was the Austin beat battle winner who has a new album out on iTunes!

Here's the GBS thread, and here's the Kickstarter! Thanks!

Wow, that GBS thread went well for you.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

i listened to half of KRITs new tape and I liked it OK but got sorta bored so I went back to Juicy J's new tape does that make me a bad person
Sort of yes, why not listen to the whole thing? Second half is better IMO.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
It's just a real nice tape. It's like Return of 4eva but just tighter all over, actually I think I still prefer R4 because of the length and Get Right/Highs and Lows/A.N.I.G.G.E.R. are my favourite KRIT songs. Still tho, really like the 4eva theme song and 1986 but I'm sure that will change since it's only been a day hah.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I'm liking it a lot too, I agree that the second half is better. Really liking Red Eye and Handwriting.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Bulging Nipples posted:

i haven't listened to krit yet am i a bad person

actually i want to see it live first without hearing it

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

thunderthief posted:

actually i want to see it live first without hearing it

But then how will you sing along :ohdear:

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Robert Analog posted:

But then how will you sing along :ohdear:

I'm lying I didn't realize it was already out :science: dl'nf on my phone now.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Is it more like krit was here or return to 4eva because if it's like the latter I might just have to pass (or at least put it on the backburner).

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I'd lean more toward Krit Wuz Here, it's about half and half though. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUEcwX1Jmo (it's the song I've had on repeat all day)

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

yeah return... was kinda boring aside from a few tracks, krit has a lot of potential but i dunno if he will ever realise that. i mean poo poo, i think all krit fans have been REALLY patient. i always think of krit as a new artist but now i think about how long ago it was that i was excited about krit drat... this was when pill was still buzzing way before mmg. this was 2010! dude needs to come with the goods now. ill give it a listen later.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

farmtrill posted:

yeah return... was kinda boring aside from a few tracks, krit has a lot of potential but i dunno if he will ever realise that. i mean poo poo, i think all krit fans have been REALLY patient. i always think of krit as a new artist but now i think about how long ago it was that i was excited about krit drat... this was when pill was still buzzing way before mmg. this was 2010! dude needs to come with the goods now. ill give it a listen later.

i tell myself that wuz here was put together from like 4 years of material and the two street (internet) albums over the past two years are all stuff that wasn't quite good enough to go on the retail joint. i ain't mad at the new tape by any means and it's definitely worth a listen but it doesn't have the same legs

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Jock Mocken posted:

i tell myself that wuz here was put together from like 4 years of material and the two street (internet) albums over the past two years are all stuff that wasn't quite good enough to go on the retail joint. i ain't mad at the new tape by any means and it's definitely worth a listen but it doesn't have the same legs

Yeah. KRIT wuz here is a really, really great album. I wonder if he'll ever be able to top or even match that level of inspiration.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I got the tape today, the sing along poo poo convinced me

I would agree the album isn't Krit at the ultimate top of his game at all points but it is still mad feelable, it strikes me in a way that not a lot of music does

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
you know whats awesome to do? if you dont drive (the way KRIT was meant to be enjoyed) you can play a raceycars game and turn the music down in that mug and play KRIT instead and smash out on fools man i lost like 5 hours to Midnight Club and Return of 4Eva talkin' bout 4EVA, 4EVA EVA, 4EVA EVA hittin nitrous runnin straight the gently caress into buildings

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

dethkon posted:

Yeah. KRIT wuz here is a really, really great album. I wonder if he'll ever be able to top or even match that level of inspiration.

it's hardly uncommon for rappers to never match their first LP but off the top of my head most cats that produce tend to improve. Quik, Kanye, Pimp C, 3 Stacks, etc.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

caveman thug poo poo posted:

you know whats awesome to do? if you dont drive (the way KRIT was meant to be enjoyed) you can play a raceycars game and turn the music down in that mug and play KRIT instead and smash out on fools man i lost like 5 hours to Midnight Club and Return of 4Eva talkin' bout 4EVA, 4EVA EVA, 4EVA EVA hittin nitrous runnin straight the gently caress into buildings

oh man i'm gonna do this with Just Cause 2 RIGHT NOW thanks dogg

e:also thanks for reminding me how much i miss driving. dick <:mad:>

double edit: okay so I just listened to 4evaNaDay all the way through twice (and switched to Burnout Paradise) and yeah, it's loving dope. WAY better than Return of 4Eva, flows together like a mothafuck. like the man says, he makes albums not hits.

alan you'll like it a lot i think put it at the top of your stack.

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 8, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i used to smoke out and bump the gently caress out of "time machine" when i still had my baby

makes me miss that piece of poo poo

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

dethkon posted:

Didn't KRIT Wuz Here also have a bunch of unclearable samples as well? I thought that contributed to the change in sound and the wonder of a 'drop off'

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
gently caress y'all Package Store rides out

Handwriting?

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2012

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

thunderthief posted:

gently caress y'all Package Store rides out

Handwriting?

Handwriting may be my favorite individual song but imo nothing really fucks with the stretch from the 4EvaNaDay Theme to Country Rap Tunes

1986 is the joint, and when the beat switches up at the end... hoo!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'll prob give the album a listen tonight, but imo handwriting shows much of the problem that i've had with his work since krit was here. like, on the surface it's not a bad song, but instead of the universal themes of struggle, hardship, coming up, etc on his first album it's him whining that he hasn't gotten his album out quick enough. i mean really? rappers been complaining about that poo poo forever, it's not exactly new nor is it particularly interesting. all i could think is "he's wasting this beat on complaining about his album being delayed?" it's not a bad song, but it's not getting me excited like his earlier stuff did. i maybe will listen to all three albums this weekend in a row to better compare them, but i just think that his later stuff sounds a lot more flat and generic (so i guess he did pick something up from his collab with the roots)

maybe he should just focus on production or something? idk

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I would agree content wise it may not be as rich as his earlier work and he tends to overplace "sayings and wise words" in openings and closing lines a lot

But overall I would rather listen to this than Hopsin any day, just saying

Ne lol at the roots dig

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
anyone listen to boldy james? his new mixtape has been on repeat since it dropped the other week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vg7eAanDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Dope KRIT interview on the tape here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t3sN6R-9-eA

also :drat: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.19382/title.upamane-f-big-krit-in-mississippi

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 9, 2012

• Locked thread