Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PaleIrishGuy posted:

I'm guessing that only the 'demon/Griffith' part of the Guts/Caska+Griffith baby was what got used up.

Yeah, this is more what I was thinking. Also, the moon kid's first appearance came after the false eclipse, which is the last time we saw the fetus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I personally think the moon kid is the human spirit of the baby that remained in the spirit world after Griffith used its physical vessel for reincarnation. Now that the human and spirit worlds have been merged into one by Griffith, I think the child is going to stay now. I would be very surprised if it disappeared again once the full moon is over.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's possible the setup is going to be if you restore Caska's memories/defeat Griffith moonchild is going to die/revert to demon child. It'd make sense for why Caska wouldn't want her memories restored.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

pinegala posted:

I think it's possible the setup is going to be if you restore Caska's memories/defeat Griffith moonchild is going to die/revert to demon child. It'd make sense for why Caska wouldn't want her memories restored.

Well, that or the fact that she would be forced to remember: having a ray of hope after rescuing her idol; being betrayed by her idol; watching all of her friends and comrades being butchered by demons, some of whom died trying to protect her, like Judeau, after they were all offered as sacrifices by her idol; being raped by her, now demonic, idol while her bloodied, newly amputee, lover is forced to watch; and nearly being killed by her demon idol, only to be rescued by a thing in skeleton armor.

Honestly, it's probably not something you would want to be haunted by. The Skull Knights comment to Guts was probably meant more along the lines of: "Do you want her to be haunted by all the same terrors that you are, night after night, just so you have the chance to have a girlfriend again? Do you think she would want that? Or are you just being a selfish prick again?"

PaleIrishGuy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PaleIrishGuy posted:

Honestly, it's probably not something you would want to be haunted by. The Skull Knights comment to Guts was probably meant more along the lines of: "Do you want her to be haunted by all the same terrors that you are, night after night, just so you have the chance to have a girlfriend again? Do you think she would want that? Or are you just being a selfish prick again?"

Honestly this entire line of reasoning is my least favorite thing about Berserk. It shouldn't be Guts' decision in the first place, but because Caska reverted to a child-like state she can't have any say in it.

It's kind of a shame because even ignoring realism, when the other main characters suffered horrible trauma they broke in interesting ways that drove their role in the story forward. Griffith went mad with ambition and jealousy, Guts formed and then repressed a violent second personality (helped along by the armor, yes, but it's a plot device to illustrate the psychological aspect). Caska just gets erased.

I want to see what happens to her as a warrior and leader -- or hell, even as a mother if that's where this arc is going, as long as the portrayal is more complex than ~maternal instincts~.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Caska said that she would disappear if something ever happened to the hawks. She's reverted back to herself when she met Griffith. She lacks direction but has the will the defend herself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Guts had several years of all consuming rage to help him cope, and as such he has been able to return to who he was to some degree. Caska never had that. If she gets her memories back, everything that happened will likely still be fresh in her mind. Who knows if she will be able to handle it better now?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
edit: wrong thread nm!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 28, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In no particular order: Monster, Gankutsuou, Kemonozume, Paranoia Agent, Mononoke.

Also, long time no see! I'll get on Skype if you want more detail on those recommendations or others. :v:

diggingtrash
Jun 14, 2007

Guyver posted:

For anime? Nah. The Gintama and Gundam 00 movies got around that many. Even in Japan most anime is really niche.

Are those figures in American dollars or Japanese Yen?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I can assure you yen.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

diggingtrash posted:

Are those figures in American dollars or Japanese Yen?

Well, it does say (Yen) on there, so :)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If some lovely one piece movie made a billion dollars every movie ever made would be a lovely one piece movie.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

DamnGlitch posted:

If some lovely one piece movie made a billion dollars every movie ever made would be a lovely one piece movie.

Don't even joke about that. :mad:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So the people of Skullknight.net (yeah, that place) came up with a theory about the moon kid based on a page Miura added to volume 28 that has Guts noticing a small silhouette of Zodd's wing on a far off cliff. This is the chapter the moon kid first appears. So based on the evidence, and that the kid's hair (while in spirit form) in this recent chapter looks like Griffith's, they believe Griffith actually turns into the kid during a full moon. Like some kind of weird were-wolf effect from using the kid to reincarnate. So that's actually GRIFFITH being hugged to Caska's chest, which adds a whole new weird dimension to the relationship between the 3 characters. If Guts kills Griffith he's also sort of killing his son.

So yeah, that would be some weird poo poo. But I think that theory might be true. It would definitely add some complexity how Guts goes about getting his revenge.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
drat, Miura really wants to poo poo all over Guts any way he can.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Where is that page? I can't find it in my copy of volume 28.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The top of the page 42, where there's the silhouette of the cliff, but you can see the small silhouette of Zodd's horn and wing. Miura added the page directly before it showing Guts feeling his brand and turning to look at the cliff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So would that make this just a waxing gibbous then?

http://www.mangareader.net/96-1147-183/berserk/chapter-27.html

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

So would that make this just a waxing gibbous then?

http://www.mangareader.net/96-1147-183/berserk/chapter-27.html

Haha could be. Or maybe Griffith can choose when he transforms into the kid? Who knows. Or maybe the theory is just wrong.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The DVD\Blu-ray release for the first movie will be May 23 in Japan. Guess we just have to wait for fansubs until the eventual international release.

Also, if anyone's still interested, the remastered version of the original Berserk series was released and the quality is pretty drat impressive (even for a relatively low budget series from the 90's).

Original
Blu-ray

Not sure how Media Blasters is doing these days, but I wouldn't mind getting it if it came out over here. Although it's pretty dated, it was always a good way of introducing people to the series, which I'm sure was Miura's stated intentions of the series in the first place - a crash course introduction to build interest for the manga.

edit: why the gently caress did I use "pretty" so much

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 10, 2012

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

May 23rd? That's a while, but at least it's not forever! Hopefully a new chapter of the manga will happen before then.

Also yeah, that Blu-Ray does look a hell of a lot cleaner.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'm sticking with a theory that occurred to me the first read through Berserk.. That it will end with Guts becoming the Skull Knight*

*Yes I know there's information out there saying SK is someone else.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread wishes they could be you right now, reading through for the first time.

It's pretty incredible. I got up to like... v20 or so in the scans and stopped so that I could slowly buy it. It's that loving good, that I'm skipping the "read to current, then buy it for reread" step and going right to "just loving buy it and reread Golden Age for a better translation".

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Dickeye posted:

It's pretty incredible. I got up to like... v20 or so in the scans and stopped so that I could slowly buy it. It's that loving good, that I'm skipping the "read to current, then buy it for reread" step and going right to "just loving buy it and reread Golden Age for a better translation".

I just finished reading the whole thing, it's been an amazing couple of weeks.
I am definitely going to keep reading this for as long as it exists :f5:, I had heard already how good this was, but had no idea it was this good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To be more specific: I'm actually about to jump back into reading the scans to find out what happens while also rereading the early volumes as I buy them (which is itself simultaneous with my One Piece reread which is a bizarre combo).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

I'm sticking with a theory that occurred to me the first read through Berserk.. That it will end with Guts becoming the Skull Knight*

*Yes I know there's information out there saying SK is someone else.

Time travel is always a popular theory for manga that haven't had even a hint of time travel.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I'm going to attribute that more to most manga writers being really bad rather than idiot readers

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
edit: dumb ideas

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 11, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
TSK is heavily implied, if not stated, to be the former king of Midland. So I'm pretty sure he had a different path than Guts.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The only thing really linking Guts and Skull Knight is the Berserker armor and a massive hatred for the God Hand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Schubalts posted:

The only thing really linking Guts and Skull Knight is the Berserker armor and a massive hatred for the God Hand.

Weren't they both "beings outside of fate" or something like that though?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Skull Knight was eventually shown to be still "inside" fate, wasn't he? When Griffith got him to stab the Kushan Emperor. Griffith knew exactly what he was going to do, and exactly what effect doing it would have on the world.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyYarEe3os&feature=player_embedded

Trailer for the second movie.

Looks like it goes pretty drat far...trailer has scenes of the King whipping Griffith in prison.

Dunno what they'll be cutting to get this far, but gives me hope that the Wyald stuff will make it into the third movie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyYarEe3os&feature=player_embedded

Trailer for the second movie.

Looks like it goes pretty drat far...trailer has scenes of the King whipping Griffith in prison.

Dunno what they'll be cutting to get this far, but gives me hope that the Wyald stuff will make it into the third movie.

CGI looks improved

also gently caress yeah, 100 man fight

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That rotating CGI of Griffith at the ball looks really weird. Wish they had redrawn his face for that shot. Also that one scene were all the characters are drawn but Corkus is CG, that looks SO SO SO odd. But I'm still very excited.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If the second movie really does end with the dissolution of the Band of the Hawk and Griffith's imprisonment, the third one is going to be a grim nightmare slog of neverending horror :gonk:

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ccs posted:

That rotating CGI of Griffith at the ball looks really weird. Wish they had redrawn his face for that shot. Also that one scene were all the characters are drawn but Corkus is CG, that looks SO SO SO odd. But I'm still very excited.

Go back to sk with that spergy poo poo sir!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

OnimaruXLR posted:

If the second movie really does end with the dissolution of the Band of the Hawk and Griffith's imprisonment, the third one is going to be a grim nightmare slog of neverending horror :gonk:

So it'll hands down be the best movie in the series? C'mon, that's like 90 minutes of almost total failure to find hope...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If they make a movie out of the Eclipse all will be right in the world.