Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_0264 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0283 by avoyer, on Flickr

Not the usual pose with the hands but I thought it was a clever way to show the tattoo that was special to her.

And omg her eyes, one of the most gorgeous girl I've shot, hands down.

xenilk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xenilk posted:

IMG_0283 by avoyer, on Flickr

Not the usual pose with the hands but I thought it was a clever way to show the tattoo that was special to her.

And omg her eyes, one of the most gorgeous girl I've shot, hands down.

Why must her hand be between her leg nooooo!!!!!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Niagalack posted:

Why must her hand be between her leg nooooo!!!!!

hey man, it's super cold out there with that snow. gotta keep 'em warm

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Alfajor posted:

No one commented on this one, and I'm not good at finding words to describe why I like it, but this one is pretty great. I love how the colors look, vivid yet not too unnatural.
Question though: What's on her left shoulder? Looks like red hairs.

Thanks, I appreciate that! The red hair on her shoulder is indeed red hair. She had her hair coloured that way. Not my style, but eh.

Subjunctivitis posted:

It looks like the red stuff is a shadow of the hairs on her shoulder that got saturated when the contrast on the image was adjusted.

See above :) It bugs me that it apparently looks like a mistake though, so I might end up changing the colour of it.

Here's one where you can more clearly see it's just the colour of her hair:

IMG_0568 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Paragon8 posted:

hey man, it's super cold out there with that snow. gotta keep 'em warm

What he said! Hahaha.

But good catch, I still like the picture since I think the accent isn't on her hand that muchhhhh so I guess it's not a complete faux pas.

Also tested Sue Bryce's "ballerina hands" instruction... and it does work like charm, didn't even have to explain anything and she got it right away, pretty neat.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Ballerina hands?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jiblet posted:

Ballerina hands?

Ballerina is the female form of baller so basically it's a lot of thumbs up and high fives.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Jiblet posted:

Ballerina hands?

you know how you don't want people to lay hands stiff or have a closed fist when you take a picture... instructing them to have "ballerina hands" is basically just telling them to open their hands and let them rest gently on their body/whatever they're touching. Helps a lot :)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Any thoughts on this guide for cropping portraits? I know it's bad to crop off at the joints, but that's about the extent I know. Green lines are good crops and red lines are bad. It was my understanding that it's bad to crop right at the neck?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's okay as a general guide.

I'd say the green line in the shins should be red.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

It's okay as a general guide.

I'd say the green line in the shins should be red.

What he said... plus in fashion you can cut hands/fingers... but people here (including me) will probably whine like people whining about my picture with the girl having a hand between her legs.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

What he said... plus in fashion you can cut hands/fingers... but people here (including me) will probably whine like people whining about my picture with the girl having a hand between her legs.

haha, I was just giving you poo poo because it was good.

I have a posty wost on my blog about this http://blog.smread.com/2011/09/breaking-rules-in-composition-pt-1-full.html

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I have a posty wost on my blog about this http://blog.smread.com/2011/09/breaking-rules-in-composition-pt-1-full.html

I wasn't talking about you :P I know you give me poo poo when you like what I do, ha ha!

Just in general, people will complain about it, which is not a bad thing but yeah breaking the rules can be fun and sometime necessary when you don't want to discard a shot simply because it doesn't fully follow the portraiture rules.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
xenilk: A bit late, but I didn't use a reflector on my last shoot. I think I shot it at like 1.6, 1/360, iso2000 or so? Give or take.

And my latest:

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
The heavy sharpening and split toning quite literally cause physical pain in my eyes. Ouch.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

sw1gger posted:

xenilk: A bit late, but I didn't use a reflector on my last shoot. I think I shot it at like 1.6, 1/360, iso2000 or so? Give or take.

And my latest:

I like it, apart from the half exit sign in the top left.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

xenilk posted:

I know that if I like a picture I've taken, I like it, rules be damned. Others are free to disagree. For instance, goons seem to have a selective coloring, but I think it works sometimes. I'm still at the stage where I'm studying the rules. I feel like before I can ignore the rules I have to study and learn them first. My understanding is that with enough practice these rules become second nature and I'll be able to focus more on the feel of the picture rather than breaking it down technically.

Paragon8 posted:

I've read all the entries on your blog, they're very helpful for a novice such as myself. Thanks for your excellent write ups!

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

bobz0r posted:

The heavy sharpening and split toning quite literally cause physical pain in my eyes. Ouch.

Might wanna get that checked out..

AceClown posted:

I like it, apart from the half exit sign in the top left.

Yeah, I kept going back and forth as to remove that. Not sure why, but it started to grow on me

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Bioshuffle posted:

I know that if I like a picture I've taken, I like it, rules be damned. Others are free to disagree. For instance, goons seem to have a selective coloring, but I think it works sometimes. I'm still at the stage where I'm studying the rules. I feel like before I can ignore the rules I have to study and learn them first. My understanding is that with enough practice these rules become second nature and I'll be able to focus more on the feel of the picture rather than breaking it down technically.

I would still apply the rules as guides, in general.

I forget who that photographer was that Paragon8, I believe, posted a while back with hands and feet chopped off and crops on joints, etc. When I looked at those photos, what I saw instead of the use of rule of thirds and no "bad cropping" were photos with the focus being a big oval in the middle. It's still a rule being applied, it just did a different thing.

I just like to ask myself with every crop/composition: Does this make good visual sense?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

sw1gger posted:

And my latest:

I think it could be a cool photo if you do a better job of processing it. Also I don't think the overexposed bits on her dress help any. Also how is that exit sign growing on you? I guess it's cancerous.

Guess I'll share a recent portrait I've done:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
Took a friend out to practice lighting

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I think it could be a cool photo if you do a better job of processing it. Also I don't think the overexposed bits on her dress help any. Also how is that exit sign growing on you? I guess it's cancerous.

drat, great light setup and composition. I suck at vertical portrait but this is great.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Paragon8 posted:

This is worth reading.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

RangerScum posted:

Be cautious of wildly split toning everything for the sake of it. This girl has lovely colour to her eyes and skin and, personally, I find that it's being totally overridden by the purple, it also really doesn't add anything to the image. I always try and check that my intentions with using a given technique are contributing towards aiding the subject matter of the photo, rather than just because I can.

Calee21 posted:

Same with this: We generally use backlight (or rim light, whatever tickles your semantic fancy) to separate a subject from the background or to give definition. The subject has light orange hair against a dark background, she's contrasting enough, while it might be advisable to throw a tiny amount of rim in just to bring her out a little the totally music-video looking backlight serves only to draw attention to the fact that the subject was lit, rather than lighting the subject in a way that serves the photo. Great composition though!

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 8, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Niagalack posted:

This is worth reading.

Thanks! Glad it was of interest.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A bit of an experiment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
New processing. Not my favourite photo of her, but I got tired of working on the same ones.

IMG_0667 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

New processing. Not my favourite photo of her, but I got tired of working on the same ones.

IMG_0667 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Very nice processing/light! Something seems off in the composition but not sure what.

Oh and you asked a few pictures of Judith smiling so here are a few candid ones:

IMG_0344 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0266 by avoyer, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

xenilk posted:

Very nice processing/light! Something seems off in the composition but not sure what.

Insufficient lead room, we kind of expect a subject to be looking into open space or at something, so when the opposing side is larger than the looking-out-into-side (anyone got a word for that?) we find the composition jarring.

Really nice ost work and lighting though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

alkanphel posted:

A bit of an experiment

Solid, looks like it belongs in a tech or entrepreneur magazine. If anything, his glasses prescription is too strong, so the edge of his face is broken and his eyes look way smaller. Care to share the lighting setup? Looks like butterfly lighting and a background light to me.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 9, 2012

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

Oh and you asked a few pictures of Judith smiling so here are a few candid ones:

IMG_0344 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0266 by avoyer, on Flickr

She's gorgeous! I do like the non-smiling ones a bit better, but she's got a great smile too.

XTimmy posted:

Insufficient lead room, we kind of expect a subject to be looking into open space or at something, so when the opposing side is larger than the looking-out-into-side (anyone got a word for that?) we find the composition jarring.

Really nice ost work and lighting though.

That makes sense. I also wish she was looking at my lens, not the other guy's.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

She's gorgeous! I do like the non-smiling ones a bit better, but she's got a great smile too.

That makes sense. I also wish she was looking at my lens, not the other guy's.

Thank you! Yes she is, I love her personality, she's a great friend.

Here are a few non-smiling ones:

IMG_0305-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0290-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0269-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CarrotFlowers posted:

I do like the non-smiling ones a bit better, but she's got a great smile too.

I had that problem with two bridesmaids recently. They both had gorgeous nonsmiling looks, but then perfect smiles too. I shot plenty of both, but drat its hard deciding what's better between the shots.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

alkanphel posted:

A bit of an experiment

Nice! What was your lighting setup for this?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Well today marked the first time a model said their agency didn't want them to do any topless shots.

It was a male model.

0_0

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Well today marked the first time a model said their agency didn't want them to do any topless shots.

It was a male model.

0_0

uh... what?! lol Weird.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Paragon8 posted:

It was a male model.

0_0

He probably has a talking third nipple.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah it was a really awkward shoot. I think I got some good shots but wow I'm not in a hurry to shoot guys again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

yeah it was a really awkward shoot. I think I got some good shots but wow I'm not in a hurry to shoot guys again.

I read a blog post the other day where this photographer had to shoot 3 male models for an underwear campaign. All 3 pulled him aside separately and asked him to shoot them so they don't 'look gay.' Male models are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

That's too bad, you shouldn't generalize tho, I found that guys were pretty neat to shoot. You just had a bad experience... that's like saying you'll never shoot redheads again because one of them was crazy. ;-)