Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That Bentley may be a bit on the fugly-side (but it could be waaaaaaaay way way worse), the interior is just magnificent.

is this Bentley anything more substantial than an elaborate render?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Linedance posted:

is this Bentley anything more substantial than an elaborate render?

Those picnic cabinet things are probably just there for the concept (though I'm sure they would be happy to sell some to you, too). That interior doesn't look that amazing to me. I'm sure it's well made and expensive as poo poo, but it's not really that special in any way.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

Those picnic cabinet things are probably just there for the concept (though I'm sure they would be happy to sell some to you, too). That interior doesn't look that amazing to me. I'm sure it's well made and expensive as poo poo, but it's not really that special in any way.

Bentley's (and Rolls as well) generally don't look that special but gently caress me dead they are stupendously nice places to be.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

well, to answer my own question, yes:

from here:
http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/03/06/geneva-2012-bentley-exp-9-f-suv-concept/

It does look rather nice in there... I wonder if Bentley has figured out how to keep white leather from staining?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How about an actual cool new car that we like, the FIAT 500L?

Notably the 500L will be the first product to come out of the Kragujevac plant that FIAT has just aquired from Zastava, the very same birthplace of the legendary Yugo! Who would have guessed that the Yugoslavian car industry will be returning triumphantly to the US under tutelage of FIAT and Chrysler? :911::hf::tito::hf::italy:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Somehow, I can't see the Bentley target market being the kind of people who'd hold tailgate parties, champagne flutes and sterling silver flatware or not.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Notably the 500L will be the first product to come out of the Kragujevac plant that FIAT has just aquired from Zastava, the very same birthplace of the legendary Yugo! Who would have guessed that the Yugoslavian car industry will be returning triumphantly to the US under tutelage of FIAT and Chrysler? :911::hf::tito::hf::italy:

Good Lord. I hope things have changed, otherwise the Chrysler bits will chuck oil all over the FIAT electrics as the rest of the Yugo disintegrates around the ensuing inferno.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

Somehow, I can't see the Bentley target market being the kind of people who'd hold tailgate parties, champagne flutes and sterling silver flatware or not.

You drive up to some quiet spot in the Spanish countryside and have a picnic. That's what the target market imagines itself doing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Interesting.

I don't normally like Infinitis, but when I do, I like them because they're all-electric cars with a three-cylinder Lotus range extender. This one claims to go 0-60 in 4 seconds and it's the first Infiniti I've ever seen that has styling that cannot be described as "blasé".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17190806

(best quote: "In terms of performance, it's somewhere between a Porsche Cayenne and a McLaren MP4-12C" :downs: )

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So, is this another one of those hatches that we can expect to not see in America? Because that car looks gorgeous.

According to MB, this generation of the A will most likely come to America. Expect limited configurations compared to Europe, as always.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

It looks like a Chinese ripoff of a 500 they adjusted to fit an existing chassis. How did they gently caress this up?

The taillights are very cool. Getting rid of the bizarre boxed-off rear fender and that godawful chrome along the side of the car would go a long way to making it look better.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It looks like a Chinese ripoff of a 500 they adjusted to fit an existing chassis. How did they gently caress this up?

What?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda. That yellow low-angle shot is definitely not its most flattering angle, and the fixation automakers still have with chrome is perplexing.

Also, does it have four foglights or are those centre ones supposed to be high-beams?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda.

That's because it is.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Throatwarbler posted:

That is cool, but from the back it's more or less the MINI Paceman that was unveiled last year (and which is going into production within a year).

My guess is that the base engine in the US for the 500L will be the 135 hp Turbo from the European Abarth/spectulated US 500T. The current 100 hp engine isn't going to cut it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

and the fixation automakers still have with chrome is perplexing.
Because it's awesome. :colbert:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Throatwarbler posted:

Buying one. Yugos are getting very hard to find.

:tito::tito::tito:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

You guys actually think that looks good? Looks like a truck has backed into it to me.

I don't think it looks, say, Afla 159 level good, but still quite nice for the class and a big improvement over the previous A-class:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think it looks, say, Afla 159 level good, but still quite nice for the class and a big improvement over the previous A-class:

that's not the previous A-class, this is:

and it's by all accounts already a huge improvement over the generation in your picture.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2012

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda. That yellow low-angle shot is definitely not its most flattering angle, and the fixation automakers still have with chrome is perplexing.

Also, does it have four foglights or are those centre ones supposed to be high-beams?

Fogs, turn signals, headlights.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

According to MB, this generation of the A will most likely come to America. Expect limited configurations compared to Europe, as always.

Go on.. tell me more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Did you want sources or what? MB has stated their desire to have something to punch it out in the sub-C-Class territory, sort of a latter day C-hatchback but less bad to go against the A3 and sort of the 1, but mostly the A3.

This is older and vaguer:
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-benz/b-class/future-mercedes-small-cars-headed-to-us.html

But at Geneva there were lots of goings-on about the A coming to NA and being the first of the future MB small cars in the US. My speculative guess is we get the 2.0L DI 4 cylinder in something that competes basically on par with the A3.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did you want sources or what? MB has stated their desire to have something to punch it out in the sub-C-Class territory, sort of a latter day C-hatchback but less bad to go against the A3 and sort of the 1, but mostly the A3.

This is older and vaguer:
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-benz/b-class/future-mercedes-small-cars-headed-to-us.html

But at Geneva there were lots of goings-on about the A coming to NA and being the first of the future MB small cars in the US. My speculative guess is we get the 2.0L DI 4 cylinder in something that competes basically on par with the A3.

What 2.0l DI 4 cylinder? You mean the 1.8T DI from the E-class? That might not be too bad but the current A and B classes use some awful 8 valve SOHC dealie that they make specifically for the FWD cars. The non turbo 2.0l puts out like 130hp and the turbo 2.0l 190hp.

Doesn't the A class have some weird engine mounting configuration? I bet that's why.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure the (current) petrol A-Class is a best and afterthought, they sell a lot more diesels.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

They sell this horrible loving thing in Canada...

and some people buy it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

and some people buy it?

I went for a ride in one, the seating position was bizarrely tall, I felt like I was riding in an F350.

Upon checking it looks like they changed the engines for the B-class for 2012 to the new DOHC DI engines, I guess the B class just has conventional engine positioning.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

D C posted:

and some people buy it?

I had one of those as a rental when I spent a week in Italy. I would have preferred something sportier but we had five people in our group. It wasn't horrible. At times it felt a little too wide for the streets in the village we stayed in.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Looks like the 2013 Nissan Versa is going to be GOD drat NICE, if they don't gently caress with this too much.

http://tinyurl.com/87tkfgj

I have the 2011, and this will make me trade it in.

VVVV And there is nothing wrong with that.

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It looks like a spaceship from EVE.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So it's a Honda Fit? Or Nissan stole the baby of a Fit and a new CRV?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mistayke posted:

Looks like the 2013 Nissan Versa is going to be GOD drat NICE, if they don't gently caress with this too much.

http://tinyurl.com/87tkfgj

I have the 2011, and this will make me trade it in.

VVVV And there is nothing wrong with that.

That's a concept car, though. Productionized and in normal lighting, it'll basically look like a clone of the Honda Fit with wonkier taillights and a swoop stamped down the side. I guess I'm not just not seeing what the big deal is.

I mean, it's not even a really out-there concept. It's probably a barely disguised production concept like Honda likes to do with a fancier interior. But the thing is that these cars look a lot more pedestrian in real life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

What 2.0l DI 4 cylinder? You mean the 1.8T DI from the E-class? That might not be too bad but the current A and B classes use some awful 8 valve SOHC dealie that they make specifically for the FWD cars. The non turbo 2.0l puts out like 130hp and the turbo 2.0l 190hp.

Doesn't the A class have some weird engine mounting configuration? I bet that's why.

They are threatening a new turbocharged 2.0L 4.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I've been thinking about trading in my 2007 Mazda 3. I'm looking for mainly MPG since work is close and I really don't drive long distances. I was checking out the new Mazda 3 and the Prius C. My car is 5 years old and average I already get 23-25 mpg so trading it on for a car thats going to get about 28(the new mazdas) doesn't make much sense to me, that's why I'm leaning towards the C. A local dealership just got one in so I'm gonna go check it out. There are so many varying reviews on hybrids and information I've read, is there any concerns I should have?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Captain Duvel posted:

I've been thinking about trading in my 2007 Mazda 3. I'm looking for mainly MPG since work is close and I really don't drive long distances. I was checking out the new Mazda 3 and the Prius C. My car is 5 years old and average I already get 23-25 mpg so trading it on for a car thats going to get about 28(the new mazdas) doesn't make much sense to me, that's why I'm leaning towards the C. A local dealership just got one in so I'm gonna go check it out. There are so many varying reviews on hybrids and information I've read, is there any concerns I should have?

But if you're close to work and don't drive much, how much in gas will you save by getting a more fuel efficient car? I would think people who DO have long commutes should be the ones concerned about MPG. I guess you'd need some sort of formula based on your annual driving to figure out if you'd ever save money by getting a new car now.

Speaking of new cars, I read that Chevy is going to be introducing a new named vehicle for the next NASCAR season (when they all have to change the car bodies to look like actual street models instead of painted eggs.) There seems to be speculation that they're either going to rename the Impala which was due for a redesign in the 2014 model year, or this is some new model based on the Commodore which would have RWD. Perhaps related to the Caprice they currently sell to police? Anyone have any inside information? I'm still in the market for a new car sometime this fall, but if we're going to get what's essentially a new G8, and it got decent mileage, I could wait a year and a half I suppose.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Captain Duvel posted:

I've been thinking about trading in my 2007 Mazda 3. I'm looking for mainly MPG since work is close and I really don't drive long distances.

Why would you trade in an otherwise excellent, fun, practical car at a huge expense, just to save, at most, a couple hundred bucks a year in gas?

Maybe there are other reasons and I totally understand that, but if your primary concern is "saving money", then buying a new car, no matter how good its gas mileage is, is not going to save you money over the car you already have in any reasonable time horizon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Prius C, by all accounts, is a pretty good car, but you're not going to be doing yourself a financial favor by trading in your Mazda on one.

If you like the car for other reasons and want to buy it, by all means go crazy. But don't do it to save money on gas.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Mpg is the main thing I'm looking for if I was gonna trade it in. I was just thinking that since my car is 5 years old and still has an incredible trade in vale that I should look to do that before it lessens

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Captain Duvel posted:

Mpg is the main thing I'm looking for if I was gonna trade it in. I was just thinking that since my car is 5 years old and still has an incredible trade in vale that I should look to do that before it lessens
No. Look at the total cost of changing - your car's depreciation vs the depreciation on what you would replace it with, the fuel saving, the other things you could do with the same money.

Not going to tell you what to spend your own money on, but you have to have a pretty specific set of circumstances in order to save money by trading in a perfectly reasonable older car for a newer one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Prius C is a new car. Go take a test drive. Do you like it? If so, cool, it's a new car you like. Come back and post here after you bought it so we can all read about this new car.

Here's the marketing for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7QzX6WBUA

I have to agree with the commenters on Autoblog - instead of an insufferable video of people who should all kill themselves, they really should just have a black background with :siren:50 MPG FOR UNDER $19,000 YOU BUY PRIUS C NOW:siren: flashing in neon letters for 30 seconds.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

The Prius C is a new car. Go take a test drive. Do you like it? If so, cool, it's a new car you like. Come back and post here after you bought it so we can all read about this new car.

Here's the marketing for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7QzX6WBUA

I have to agree with the commenters on Autoblog - instead of an insufferable video of people who should all kill themselves, they really should just have a black background with :siren:50 MPG FOR UNDER $19,000 YOU BUY PRIUS C NOW:siren: flashing in neon letters for 30 seconds.

Yeah, I saw the commercial for the C (and the V, let's not forget about that terrible abortion of an ad) and I can't help but think: whose opinion of that car would be increased by watching either of those? I can't say I would ever buy a Prius, but they make up a good portion of the taxi fleet in my city, and having been inside them, I think they're a very reasonable car for a lot of people. Emphasize that it's just a normal car -- but better and more efficient, not... whatever they're doing in those godawful new commercials.