Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Chexmix posted:

Is there any way to save Lieutenant Victus? :ohdear:

I don't think so. But hey, at least he isn't Garrus, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquelia
Oct 22, 2009
(Ending stuff)

The part that really annoys me is how much Shepard completely fucks over the rest of the galaxy here. Throughout the series they are always saying how little they understand about mass relays, and how they have absolutely no idea how to make new ones. By destroying the entire network of mass relays, as well as the entire loving Citadel, he completely wipes out any chance of galactic society rebuilding itself anytime in the next thousand or so years. This ending is stupid. And completely unavoidable! If one of the three options available had been this, that would have been fine. But instead, ALL of the three options are the same lovely screw-everyone-over ending.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Arkitektbmw posted:

Ok this has confused me all to hell. Since when does EDI die? Yes I get that she's based of Reaper CODE but she's not based off their tech. The geth have actually implented Reaper TECH into themselves, that's why they die (although, is this why the normandy crashes? I would think not since it still crashes when she walks out). I haven't fully watched any of the endings and I'm too chicken to actually finish the game with all the endinghate going on here and on the net all together.

On a lighter note I am super impressed with the dynamic feel they've given to the crew in this installment. It's awesome to find Garrus and Vega trying to one up eachother in the middle of the crew deck (although they are sort of kiss eachother's rear's towards the end, but whatever). Or to find Engineer Adams, Garrus and Javik all discussing the husk tactics of the reapers in the 'break room.' Those things really made the ship come alive for me. Going around making your typical rounds only to find somebody isn't where they usually are and then trying to figure out where they are and who they're talking with.

Edit: Another thing I'm really impressed with is finding dead members of units that have gone before you in certain areas and finding a message to their loved ones on them that you can then deliver their dieing words to. Seriously if I were'nt a guy, some of their reactions would move me.

Other way round, EDI was built using actual reaper parts, the geth are code-based life and modified themselves using reaper code iirc

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Did Udina's accent change? I could've sworn he was German but now he sounds Irish.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Ok this has confused me all to hell. Since when does EDI die? Yes I get that she's based of Reaper CODE but she's not based off their tech. The geth have actually implented Reaper TECH into themselves, that's why they die (although, is this why the normandy crashes? I would think not since it still crashes when she walks out). I haven't fully watched any of the endings and I'm too chicken to actually finish the game with all the endinghate going on here and on the net all together.

Catalyst basically straight up tells you that the destroy option destroys all synthetic life, including the Geth, Reapers, EDI, and maybe even Shepard since she's part cybernetic (Shep lives if you have enough resources). I don't know where people are getting the possibility that either EDI or the Geth survive that ending.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Chexmix posted:

Is there any way to save Lieutenant Victus? :ohdear:

Tuchanka spoilers:

Nope. Guy dies a hero and makes his father proud.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Category Fun! posted:

Did Udina's accent change? I could've sworn he was German but now he sounds Irish.

He's always had a weird accent that veered between slightly indian/irish/gently caress knows what.

Fucker won't be talking any more though

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Carl Sagan talked about this. He said that while we can't rule out vastly different physiologies, we (humans) are actually a pretty good template for what to expect when (if) we meet other intelligent species.

Are you gonna call Sagan stupid?

Eyes, for example, have evolved entirely separately many times in Earth's past. Any one of those could have been on a different but similar planet, in theory. In Australia there used to be "dogs", except they weren't dogs and weren't related to dogs, they were a type of marsupial, and just ended up being a hell of a lot like dogs because they filled the same environment niche under similar conditions. It's called "convergent evolution".

Basically things that evolve in similar circumstances tend to evolve to be similar in form, I wouldn't be surprised if we met aliens that had a pair of forward facing eyes. You need at least one to see, two for 3D vision, but a third would be a waste of biological resources.

ashpanash posted:

Speaking of which, apparently if you're a girl in the ME universe you have mammary glands. Right on your chest, just like those wacky humans.

This is actually something that really pissed me off about Samara. Her breasts are shaped and positioned really weirdly. I don't think its an Asari thing, I just thinks it's bad modelling.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Category Fun! posted:

He always sounded kind of Indian/kind of South African to me.

His accent was bizarre.

Wingless posted:

Basically things that evolve in similar circumstances tend to evolve to be similar in form, I wouldn't be surprised if we met aliens that had a pair of forward facing eyes. You need at least one to see, two for 3D vision, but a third would be a waste of biological resources.

Yes, but Javik suggests 4 eyes would make you a better sniper!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Arkitektbmw posted:

The "Destroy" ending isn't just killing the Reapers. It's destroying every AI in the galaxy, along with the Reapers, for some reason. If EDI was just a VI instead of a true AI, she would be spared.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Does the whole Udina sequence end if you let the council die in ME1?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

tehllama posted:

nope, you get their less likeable stunt doubles instead

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

He's always had a weird accent that veered between slightly indian/irish/gently caress knows what.

Fucker won't be talking any more though

Agreed, I enjoyed shooting him in the chest (HEAD DANGIT, HEAAD!!!).

Speaking of reactions like that, I thoroughly enjoyed punching The Heavy Fleet Quarian Admiral, and then throwing him off my ship. Don't appease to my militaristic background you jerk, you put me and my crew in a lot of danger.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 9, 2012

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

thetrin posted:

He always sounded kind of Indian/kind of South African to me.

His accent was bizarre.

Yes, but Javik suggests 4 eyes would make you a better sniper!

Is there something different about C-Sec Commander Bailey? His model looks different to me in this game... Also, hearing Colonel Tigh's voice coming out of his mouth is still not something I'm used to.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

tadashi posted:

Is there something different about C-Sec Commander Bailey? His model looks different to me in this game... Also, hearing Colonel Tigh's voice coming out of his mouth is still not something I'm used to.

His hair.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

tehllama posted:

Literally nothing changes if you let the council die in ME1. When you first meet them, they go "we would have helped you if you didn't kill off the old Council" and every so often they make snide comments or thank you for giving them their job by killing off their predecessors. Its really, really weak.

Oh, and I think the salarian Councillor is a female if you kill them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Wingless posted:

Convergent evolution stuff

Ancient tetrapod amphibians (like around the time walking on land was discovered ancient) tended to have a third eye that acted like a light sensor that had some minor uses like being able to tell when it was time to mate and such. They still exist in some groups but it isn't common or super useful. You're right on everything else though. Even arthropods with multiple eye sets tend to have a pair of primary eyes, or if they have compound eyes it is a pair of clusters. That sort of thing just works better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I beat it! I had a good time! And that ending... sure did come at the end of the game.

Re: that ending: the choices were triply arbitrary: they have nothing to do with what came before them, there's no reason for them to be what they are, and they never reveal their consequences. Consequently, I'm just going to imagine my own ending instead. I'm imagining it right now. Oh wow this is so cool.

I think the main reason it rung so hollow for me is because at no point in the trilogy did it compellingly establish (what it wanted to be) the central theme of the setting, namely that there's any drat difference between organics and synthetics. It was asking me to make the final decision based on a premise which it failed to convince me was not bogus, and that's something of an accomplishment considering how much ink it spilled on related topics. Had me rolling my eyes a bit.

I went back after beating it and picked a different one, and it showed the same cutscene with some slightly different visual effects, and a different character with Joker at the end.

It was a great journey. Shame about the destination.

Being an Infiltrator was way more fun this time around, on account of how it gives you enough ammunition to use the most powerful sniper rifle for everything.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 9, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ancient tetrapod amphibians (like around the time walking on land was discovered ancient) tended to have a third eye that acted like a light sensor that had some minor uses like being able to tell when it was time to mate and such.
So do komodo dragons, if I remember my 3rd grade project on them correctly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I haven't beat the game, but I do think a "revised ending DLC" will probably happen (like Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia). Mostly due to how universally hated it is. Both games above also had universally hated endings that got fixed later on. Also the very little use of Harbinger is probably the other sign. There is no proper "fight" with him in the game. I imagine if they do one, it ends with Shepard fighting him to save the galaxy or some poo poo.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

tadashi posted:

Dude has been hitting the dye, possible mid-life crisis?

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Toriori posted:

Thanks for opinions, all.

Also, is the whole Talis face some poorly shopped stock image true? If so, hahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahha
Hahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha
Jahhahahhahahahajaj, haha.

I like to think it's a huge gently caress you to all the Tali-fuckers :colbert:

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Ending

I really enjoyed the post-credits sequence. The idea that Shep becomes a legendary semi-god when people are living on the moon makes me really happy. It's great writing, too--"the Shepard" gives it that mythical tone.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I have a feeling we're going to get some new ending DLC at some point (Fallout style). There's just too much going wrong with the endings (even for Bioware).

- The endings are just so horribly rushed, like there's 3 games worth of pretty awesome plot and exposition and then boom, you get 5 minutes of an ending that doesn't fully go in to what you've done?
- There's been mumblings of more flushed out endings that were removed pre-release (this could have been Bioware forums people just hoping though).
- The game throws you back to right before the end game after you finish. I know they have to for ANY DLC but it makes a lot of sense if the DLC is ending related. Why make me go through the end sequence that's the same thing AGAIN after doing some other DLC that would presumably help your war efforts.
- Fan outrage/anger/depression: There are a lot of people that feel robbed by the endings and even the people that are ok with them in principle still feel jilted by the lack of detail and explanation>

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There needs to be a new vanguard flowchart, ill get on that. :shepface:

I am about halfway the game now and still decently spoiler free, but Tali: (I did get that spoiled)
Even though she is more human then she should look the ingame/codex description of Quarians has always been humanlike, just more scaly and with different ears and fringes. Expecting some kind of lovecraftian girl is wrong regardless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm surprised at how many people took Mass Effect's plot "seriously" in the first place. Seeing people saying they cried at points is completely baffling to me.

Unless you play complete Paragon, which is boring as poo poo, the entire series is basically Space - Archer The Game, with some elements from other sci-fi series thrown in. The whole point to the plot, for me, is creating situations that make me laugh the hardest, with a little bit of drama thrown in from time to time.

I will say that, being halfway or so through ME3, it seems to falter a bit at how over the top a lot of stuff you could do in the KOTOR games and ME1 and 2 were. I did a lot of random killing of people in quests in ME2, for instance, tossing people out of windows and such, and 3 isn't giving me an option to be as big of a jerk as I'd like. Now, Paragon and Renegade choices lead to the same immediate outcome, and there isn't nearly as much silly stuff to do that makes me laugh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ouhei posted:

- There's been mumblings of more flushed out endings that were removed pre-release (this could have been Bioware forums people just hoping though).

Sources on this? I'm really not doubting you, I just want to follow the breadcrumbs towards some kind of hope. :smith:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Kunzelman posted:

Ending

I really enjoyed the post-credits sequence. The idea that Shep becomes a legendary semi-god when people are living on the moon makes me really happy. It's great writing, too--"the Shepard" gives it that mythical tone.

If I was that kid i'd be quizzing the grandad about all the lovely plotholes in his lovely story.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Wingless posted:

Covergent Evolution

I'm not talking about eyes here, or even the basics like limbs for grasping and manipulating, which we'd imagine any intelligent species must have. I'm talking about an entire duplicated body plan. This isn't like in Star Trek where they had to do it because they were using human actors to play alien roles - they could go crazy. Like they did with the Hanar, kinda. That's the only one they went crazy with.

I'm talking about the head on a neck on a torso with two limbs for grasping and two for bipedal motion. Aside from the Elcor and the Hanar, that's what you get. I'm talking about eyes placed on the top of the head, a nose in the middle for olfactory senses, and mouths below that, with ears with small, useless flaps on the side of the head. I'm talking about similar reproductive organs, for god's sake. The only thing separating the Krogan was that they had four balls instead or two! I'd be willing to maybe buy one species that had a similar body plan but not all of them.

And again, I'm not necessarily criticizing them for these decisions. They went with what they went with because they wanted maximum emotional effect by making the aliens you are supposed to humanize with very human-like. From an artistic standpoint, I get it. I'm just saying that they weren't exactly going for the alien-design gusto, so why criticize them for Tali?

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 9, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Almost every ending that has been postulated in this thread is better than what was actually available. Dear God I hope they make some DLC and do the end properly this time.

That said, I'll sink just as many hours into this game as I did the previous two, because the rest of it more than makes up for the last five minutes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok, this might be an odd request but during an early conversation with EDI after she gets robo-body, she makes a comment about only forgetting to recycle the Normandy's air if she find something reeeaaalllyy exciting, and Shepard makes this incredible :gonk: face. I don't suppose someone could get a screencap/gif of that please? I would but I'm on xbox.

Not sure if that needed a spoiler but I figured I'd be safe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the main reason it rung so hollow for me is because at no point in the trilogy did it compellingly establish (what it wanted to be) the central theme of the setting, namely that there's any drat difference between organics and synthetics.
Yeah, well, ME1 set up the antagonist, ME2 was setting up a background subtly ( all this dark energy stuff, where the Reapers were supposed to harvest civilizations at their peak, to "back them up" ), and the ME3 comes along and just ignores that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is there a good chart out there yet that shows all the choices and how they affect the game (what war assets you get, who dies, etc)?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rirse posted:

I haven't beat the game, but I do think a "revised ending DLC" will probably happen (like Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia). Mostly due to how universally hated it is. Both games above also had universally hated endings that got fixed later on. Also the very little use of Harbinger is probably the other sign. There is no proper "fight" with him in the game. I imagine if they do one, it ends with Shepard fighting him to save the galaxy or some poo poo.

Here's hoping...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have no issue with the choices.

I hate the reason for the Reapers/Cycle.

So millions of years ago, your race got wiped out by AI you made, and you figured the best way to stop this in the future was to kill future races before they could develop AI that could kill them, in the process absorbing/saving the "best" race.

That poo poo doesn't even make SENSE.

Why not put a giant flashing sign on the Citadel saying OUR RACE GOT WIPED OUT BY AI, IT CAN'T BE TRUSTED, DON'T DO IT, or since they spend years cleaning up the galaxy and altering people's tech, maybe pushing the tech away from making AI, or jesus, any number of things before "We'll kill you and absorb the best organic race before the AI kills you! SO GOOD GUYS."

The worst part is, everything the Guardian said was just completely countered by the things we saw/did in not just ME3, but the entire series, Jarvik didn't mention anything about Prothean AIs killing them off, and the Geth only rebelled because they got murdered for standing around, and even after that, would have left the Quarians have their planet back peacefully. It was only because of the Reapers meddling with the Geth that they became an enemy faction at all.

It really felt like it got down to crunch time, and rather then actually finish the saga with a compelling reason for the Reapers existence, they just copy pasted in the Geth/Quarian side stuff while tired and unable to realize it didn't actually fit the main plot so well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rookersh posted:

Jarvik didn't mention anything about Prothean AIs killing them off

Ending/DLC companion - Javik does in a couple conversations. He says there was an equivalent of the Geth and Quarians in his time. The AI had been so powerful that the Protheans became the draconian empire that was revealed in ME3 - they figured they had to unite all the advanced organic societies to have a chance to beat the AI. It was working for a time, but the Reapers arrived when the Protheans were starting to win the war against the AI.

Granted, I'm not defending the ending beyond saying that it's certainly powerful, but after having a couple days to digest it, I don't care for it and hope DLC or a patch will change it beyond a personal retcon.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Spent 3 hours last night trying to get my ME2 saves over and finally bailed after noticing in the OP that there's a depot for save games. I was so tired when I got to the point to customizing the face that I hadn't a single idea of how ugly it was gonna be in-game; like David Chang got his face stuck in an industrial Shop-Vac after a 2-week bender. I'm torn between getting to see a bunch of creepy, horribly facial expressions and wanting to not be disgusted with my character's appearance. v:shobon:v

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Rookersh posted:

I have no issue with the choices.

I hate the reason for the Reapers/Cycle.

Ending The main problem I have with the choices (ignoring for now the general problems with ending revelations) are that they all end up with the same cut scene tinted differently. You don't get any real closure or get to see the consequence of your decision. I still wouldn't like it, but it would have ended with some closure. The way it is now, its like the choice you make doesn't even matter.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So....that ending...yeah, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hated them so badly.

What bugged me even more than the endings, was that said AI (Because I'm in no way viewing it as anything bigger), could not be Right Hooked into submission. Biggest Kick in the Quad for the thing's argument is the Quarian/Geth war, which you end up solving. Why couldn't I throw that in it's face, or point out that EDI and Jeff were lovey dovey? Where's my so called perfect ending, pricks?

What really got me, was that I was looking forward to some bigass end game playable epilogue, much like 2's, but expanded further. I wanted to be able to go to Earth, and get drinks with Jacob, see how Pavalin was restored, maybe check on Garrus' family, meet the father of my space-brother. Hell, help build Tali that home on Rannoch finally! But no, instead, I get kicked in the teeth.

I'm expecting some sort of DLC, because I can't imagine them brushing off this many complaints without something to appease the fanatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's almost laughable how little sense one of the endings makes. Ending spoiler The synthesis ending - what the gently caress does this even mean? Does all life now contain tiny nanomachines or some poo poo? Have the colossal Reapers been impregnated with organic cells in little tumorous clusters? How does that change the way they think, their objectives? Aren't they all each already a civilization?

All the guardian said was 'a new DNA' :wtc:

And how the gently caress does an entire civilization fail to realize the correct way to save itself from a tank-fired missile attack is to shoot the missile tank with its giant laser while it's sitting exposed in the street :spergin:

• Locked thread