Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I just bought a Gun Carriage. I'm not letting myself open it until I paint a bunch of stuff and write a paper, but meanwhile I can't stop turning over the box, feeling its heft and just [i]imagining[i].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

130 bucks for a single model?

Isn't this exactly what people poo poo on GW for?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I am fine with PP's pricing structure. I think a lot of players are as well.

You can play this game for a couple hundred dollars. It isn't even close to that to play 40k. I looked at my Tau army I bought for 340 dollars in 2002. To replace it now, it would be more than eleven hundred dollars. That is what people are complaining about GW for. GW raises their prices every year, and then comes out with revolutionary production processes like Finecast.

edit: sorry for the snippy comment, i deleted it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't think PP was that much cheaper than GW on a per model basis. Just you need less models to play and you don't buy as much of it at a time.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yes, but this model is loving huge.

Like, really goddamn big. I'm obviously going to wait to see the rules and see if the Cryx one is worth getting, but even then I might buy it just to paint it because I'm actually decent at painting and can sell it later if need be.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Just bought the Menoth battlegroup.....While its not the army that I want I figure that its a good opportunity to learn the game and learn how to paint these models.....Will post my abominations once I am done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

Well for one the 'it's cheaper' comes from less models not really less price. Mainly, though, we poo poo on GW for, say, if I'm playing Orkz I do need to spend about 130ish for like, enough Ork grunts to make an army, period.

For this, I can choose to pay 130 for a part of my army that, while badass and awesome, is not needed, and if I opt to just buy the book I can easily proxy it in in friendly games and such.

No one's saying '130? WHAT A STEAL!' it's more 'oh, cool, if I don't want this it's no big, but if I do I'll pay that'.

Also on the Ret Colossal, I want them to go full balls out anime as gently caress with it, lasers everywhere, giant crystal sword, make it something that'll make the human armies go 'wait what' before getting vaporized.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Swagger Dagger posted:

No we poo poo on GW because there are armies where you are (basically) required to buy $200 of plastic boxes with treads or you may as well just not play the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, the problem with GW isn't that their minis are expensive, it's that you need to buy so drat many of them. Having a Leman Russ cost 50 bux isn't a big deal at all considering how cool the kit is, but needing to buy 2 or 3 of them minimum before they become relevant and worth using in the game is kinda bullshit.

Demon Hunter
Jul 18, 2005
Lets not forget that PP also updates mechanics in a timely order and every year your faction is getting some new shiny toy. Whereas with GW you will wait 4 to 6 years to see new kits for your army on top of being a pretty badly balanced game.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Demon Hunter posted:

Lets not forget that PP also updates mechanics in a timely order and every year your faction is getting some new shiny toy. Whereas with GW you will wait 4 to 6 years to see new kits for your army on top of being a pretty badly balanced game.

This. A million loving times this.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Plus it's pretty goddamn huge. Just sayin

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The problem, as far as I'm concerned, with GW is, "Hey guys we're sorry we had to raise our prices. China controls all the tin, so our plastic kits have to go up"

poo poo like that. And yea, it's just a terrible game :v:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Also PP has never made models obsolete, which I really like.

How they're gonna balance this in a few years when we're on mk9 or so, we'll see.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Maybe we've talked about this already, but I just saw this on the War Room FAQ (http://privateerpress.com/war-room/warmachine-and-hordes-war-room-faq):

Privateer Press posted:

Do I need to purchase faction decks to build army lists?

You can build army lists from any cards that are unlocked on your device. If you want to build an army from models outside of the cards included in the free download, you will need to purchase the appropriate faction decks.

I'm sort of horrified (though it's not like iBodger will evaporate). I'm sure my reasons are the same as everyone's.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sulecrist posted:

Maybe we've talked about this already, but I just saw this on the War Room FAQ (http://privateerpress.com/war-room/warmachine-and-hordes-war-room-faq):

I'm sort of horrified (though it's not like iBodger will evaporate). I'm sure my reasons are the same as everyone's.

Honestly they need to put a sheet with an IR code in with models they sell that will unlock the cards in war room for models you've bought since it came out. Doesn't help a lot of people with extensive collections, but drat it would be much nicer to have something like that.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Something really badass is being built for Adepticon!

http://dev.adepticon.org/2012/03/colossals-diorama-by-privateer-press-at.html#more

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Honestly they need to put a sheet with an IR code in with models they sell that will unlock the cards in war room for models you've bought since it came out. Doesn't help a lot of people with extensive collections, but drat it would be much nicer to have something like that.

It'd be a nice touch. I'm more concerned about people new to the game (or the edition) who're trying to put together a small starter army outside of the battlebox and don't know which direction to go in. I've bought five MkII armies now (three were for other people) and all of them included a lot of fiddling and comparing, seeing which could fit the most cool stuff into 15 points at the lowest dollar price. That's not typical, of course, but it matters to me.

And I like being able to put together lists anticipating what my regular opponents bring, and for autopsies afterward. Or, before I picked a second faction, I tried to copy down fun-looking lists for the factions I was considering, both to track combinations and just for kicks.

But if iBodger is allowed to quietly continue, this won't be a huge issue. Although it was rad being able to use it as essentially a big catalog--my girlfriend spent hours and hours ogling stuff outside her faction.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sulecrist posted:

It'd be a nice touch. I'm more concerned about people new to the game (or the edition) who're trying to put together a small starter army outside of the battlebox and don't know which direction to go in. I've bought five MkII armies now (three were for other people) and all of them included a lot of fiddling and comparing, seeing which could fit the most cool stuff into 15 points at the lowest dollar price. That's not typical, of course, but it matters to me.

And I like being able to put together lists anticipating what my regular opponents bring, and for autopsies afterward. Or, before I picked a second faction, I tried to copy down fun-looking lists for the factions I was considering, both to track combinations and just for kicks.

But if iBodger is allowed to quietly continue, this won't be a huge issue. Although it was rad being able to use it as essentially a big catalog--my girlfriend spent hours and hours ogling stuff outside her faction.

Bodger is no longer being updated, but I'm guessing Forward Kommander will still be fine to use instead. If not with pretty pictures.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
ibodger wont be updated any longer, but it still works fine. So eventually it wont have a lot of the newer models, but you should still be able to make do.

e, fb: and yeah, FK owns

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

http://dev.adepticon.org/2012/03/colossals-diorama-by-privateer-press-at.html#more

Super cool. I really want to build a table.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sulecrist posted:

? Im not horrified. Sounds allright considering you need to buy the deck to play the online with othe rplayers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

crime fighting hog posted:

So looking at this, there are spots labeled for both 'Conquest' and 'Mountain King'. I guess we can assume that the 'Mountain King' is the Troll Colossal equivalent? Pretty boss!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Exmond posted:

? Im not horrified. Sounds allright considering you need to buy the deck to play the online with othe rplayers.

Let me rephrase. We don't deserve to have point values for everything out there, but having easy access to them made getting into the game much easier for me and several of my friends. It makes it easier for me to think about the game, especially competitively and especially on the go. I don't think it could possibly hurt sales, and it has certainly encouraged me and three other people to feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on purchases.

I think that not providing point values for everything in their free app, especially since they had been available through third-party apps, is a bad, sort of horrifying, business decision.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Let me rephrase. We don't deserve to have point values for everything out there, but having easy access to them made getting into the game much easier for me and several of my friends. It makes it easier for me to think about the game, especially competitively and especially on the go. I don't think it could possibly hurt sales, and it has certainly encouraged me and three other people to feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on purchases.

I think that not providing point values for everything in their free app, especially since they had been available through third-party apps, is a bad, sort of horrifying, business decision.

I'm actually with you. While I am excited to get the program so that I can have cards on my phone, I will miss iBodger. I love being able to build lists on my phone while having a conversation with other players. And on my iPad, etc. It's great to show the pictures to people interested in playing and ogle other factions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They should modify it so that you can build lists and get points values/art for anything, but you have to pay to actually pull up the cards/rules for a selection. That way people can use it to freely muddle around with lists and stuff while restricting the better functions to buyers.

There are some guys at the store I play at who like to record their opponents lists so that when they are doing a report/reviewing the game they'll know exactly what they were facing. It would be really frustrating not being able to do that simple thing because you didn't shell out for all the factions packs when you don't even want/need the full cards, etc.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Raiche and Ashcans, that is exactly how I feel. It's not a dealbreaker, it's just that iBodger (with pictures) made it much easier to give them money, and I wish they'd adopt those functions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

So looking at this, there are spots labeled for both 'Conquest' and 'Mountain King'. I guess we can assume that the 'Mountain King' is the Troll Colossal equivalent? Pretty boss!

Sounds more like a Rhulic battle engine to me.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

S.J. posted:

if you look at the pictures, you will see War Wagons. so it looks like it is going to Trollbloods vs Khador, Gun Carriages vs War Wagons, Conquest vs Kings of the Mountain.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

dexefiend posted:

if you look at the pictures, you will see War Wagons. so it looks like it is going to Trollbloods vs Khador, Gun Carriages vs War Wagons, Conquest vs Kings of the Mountain.

Sweet! Getta kick s'more trolls off of their land.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Goddddddddddd it's going to own so hard.

Also if the Hordes book follows the apparent pattern of the WM book (one caster, one colossal), and Trolls get a giant gently caress off Mountain King, the caster should probably be a new Doomshaper, just like Cygnar got a new Nemo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

seriously the troll colossal is gonna be fuckawesome

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

S.J. posted:

They also talk about how the diorama is Trollbloods raiding a Khadoran train transporting their colossal. Man, Khador trains have the loving WORST luck.

Also, they ran out of ideas around Wrath, apparently.

Fyrbrand posted:

Goddddddddddd it's going to own so hard.

Also if the Hordes book follows the apparent pattern of the WM book (one caster, one colossal), and Trolls get a giant gently caress off Mountain King, the caster should probably be a new Doomshaper, just like Cygnar got a new Nemo.

I wonder if Hordes is going to get their second story evolutions or if they will give some non-epic casters some progression. In the end, since there isn't a power difference, I guess it comes down to what makes sense for story development...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

!amicable posted:

They also talk about how the diorama is Trollbloods raiding a Khadoran train transporting their colossal. Man, Khador trains have the loving WORST luck.

Also, they ran out of ideas around Wrath, apparently.

Yeah I was too busy looking at pictures to read text so that's what I get I guess :v:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

S.J. posted:

Yeah I was too busy looking at pictures to read text so that's what I get I guess :v:

Also, the Merc battle engine is a pirate themed thing, so dwarves are hosed. I hope it's just a boat. That would be amazing. A walking robot boat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

!amicable posted:

Also, the Merc battle engine is a pirate themed thing, so dwarves are hosed. I hope it's just a boat. That would be amazing. A walking robot boat.

Huh? The rumors I heard was that it was going to be a Rhulic battle engine, because the Galleon is pirate themed.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

S.J. posted:

Huh? The rumors I heard was that it was going to be a Rhulic battle engine, because the Galleon is pirate themed.

I said battle engine and meant colossal.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I've played four games this week and I'm having at least 1-2 more. Boxcar told me to do some write-ups so here we go!

GAME 1 - TUTORIAL (6 points Khador v. my friend's Cygnar)

So my friend Josh has played Warhammer for almost ten years. He picked up some Cygnar models back in MkI even before I did, but played only sporadically, and didn't have anyone take the time to teach him, and most of his friends were pretty bad sports. I painted some of his models for Christmas, bought him a few new ones, and promised to teach him to play properly. This was that game (although we got a few rules wrong). We played without feats.

I took Old Witch & Scrapjack, Kodiak, and War Dog. I'd never played Khador before and this was all of faction the models I owned. He took eCaine, Hunter, and proxied six Rangers. We played on a 2.5'x2.5' table with a bunch of forests. I didn't realize I had Augury, which will explain most of my moves.

Round One: I set up pretty haphazardly and got the first turn. He did the same in the opposite corner. I threw Weald Something on my doggie and kept Old Witch back while sending Kodiak right and Scrapjack left up the sides. He advanced, got a few Hunter and Ranger shots onto the Kodiak, and used his speed to stay well out of reach. He moved up eCaine to fire at Scrapjack (ignoring Stealth from Prowl) and whiffed on all four shots.

Round Two: Scrapjack was out of charge range and I failed my Gallows on eCaine so I moved him up, still in the woods, so that I'd be in range to charge either eCaine or the Rangers if they didn't pull back. I used my teleport to jump Old Witch up to him, and followed with the dog. Kodiak advanced to threaten the Rangers from behind. They stayed put and joined the Hunter in unloading into Kodiak, dealing a surprising amount of damage but not taking out any systems. eCaine wounded Scrapjack and took out its arc node.

Round Three: I charged the Rangers with the Kodiak and he killed like three. I charged eCaine with War Dog and Scrapjack and whiffed a bunch, then teleported back so I'd have cover and concealment. Hunter hit Kodiak and took out its Movement; I thought that immobilized it so he just moved his remaining Rangers away (two survived the free strikes) and killed Scrapjack.

Round Four: Charged eCaine with Old Witch and War Dog and killed him. He didn't mind and was super enthusiastic about expanding his army to a better-built 15.

GAME 2 - TUTORIAL (5 points Khador v. my brother's Cryx)

I don't really remember this. He proxied six Bane Thralls and took a Slayer; I took Kodiak and Old Witch and Scrapjack. I feated turn two and set up some charges. He cast that rad upkeep where he couldn't be charged and stayed exactly where he was. I charged, dented his jack and killed four banes, and screened Old Witch with Scrapjack. He charged Scrapjack with the Banes (they were free of Kodiak), nearly killing it, and used his sweet blast centered on Old Witch and covering Slayer, Scrapjack, and both Banes. One Bane and Scrapjack died outright; Old Witch and Slayer were in a bad way. He walked over and hit me with his spear and OW died. It was awesome.

GAME 3 - NO MAN'S LAND (25 points Circle v. my friend's Skorne)

My friend Alex is a tournament player and has traditionally destroyed me. He was in a slow-grow league at 25 and wanted to play with his league list--he was using Skorne there for financial reasons. He took the battlebox (pMorghoul is his regular caster, though) plus Agonizer, Paingivers, and Bronzeback. I took eKrueger, stones + UA, Lord of the Feast, Feral, Stalker, and Gorax. Terrain didn't really matter.

The scenario, determined randomly after we picked our army lists, had an eight-inch band across the center of the table. Starting at player one turn three, whoever controlled it won.

Round One: I got turn one and moved some poo poo up. He moved some poo poo up.

Round Two: I moved some poo poo up. I put Gorax and Feral inside of stones so that I could get past Admonition and Counter Charge if necessary. I also sent Lord of the Feast nosing around his flank to hunt the Paingivers. He advanced everything to the edge of the band and put Admonition on a Cyclops, which charged ahead of the rest of his army into the zone center to kill my Stone Keeper, who'd strayed ahead to miss with a Stone Spray. Then he feated.

Round Three: Feated to push him out of the zone. Then assassinated pMorghoul with lightning because I hate that guy.

GAME 4 - CASTER KILL (same lists, except I used Kromac and dropped the Stone Keeper)

Round One: He went first and deployed some poo poo. I did the same. Put the boosted attacks upkeep on Feral and the armor buff on the Stalker. And Warpath on myself. Sent LotF up the right flank.

Round Two: He moved up with Bronzeback and Gladiator at the center, a Cyclops on each flank, and Paingivers and Agonizer behind. Then feated. He used the Gladiator animus on the left-flank Cyclops and charged my Gorax, killing him. I moved up with Lord of the Feast, shot a Paingiver with the crow, and teleported behind him in reach of the Bronzeback, two Paingivers, and Agonizer. Killed the Paingivers first, then the Agonizer (with boosted damage and an extra attack), and did five points of damage to the Bronzeback's back. Then things went kind of downhill. I forgot about pMorghoul's feat. I jumped Kromac (I didn't realize he could only Jump in Beastform) to the Admonitioned Cyclops and feated to kill him so that I could Warpath the Feral into the Shifting Stones triangle. Teleported the Feral in to fight the Bronzeback. Hit a bunch but that was all I could do. Charged with the Stalker (on my left, to his Cyclops on the right) to protect Kromac, and did a fair amount of damage, but without being able to force I had only three Fury on Kromac for next turn.

Round Three: He hit my Feral over and over again with his Bronzeback, reducing him to one point of damage and pushing him to within reach of Kromac. But he whiffed badly. Cyclops took out the Mind aspect on Stalker and Gladiator killed the Lord of the Feast, who'd done awesomely. I cut Kromac for four fury and spent it all restoring aspects, then charging and killing the remaining Cyclops. Feral forced for four and Warp Strengthed to kill the Bronzeback (it was awesome) and then Stalker did the same to beat the poo poo out of the Gladiator. Charge attack failed, unfortunately, so it wasn't enough to do more than kill an aspect.

Round Four: Kromac only had six life left and nowhere to push damage. pMorghoul advanced in past my Stalker and got a spell assassination. Gladiator could've thrown my Stalker into Kromac even if the spell had failed. Good game.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 9, 2012

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

We played without feats.

I don't think that's fair to the game to be honest. Half the fun of WMH is having a fat greasy feat drop right when you think you're ready to go for the kill, or whatever.

It's also one of the more unique mechanics.

(also the lists you dudes used were sort of tough from the perspective of a newer player since they involve lots of fiddly rules- but whatever, trial by fire.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
IR SMART:

How has your year of Ret been going so far? Turned up any new good strategies/tactics?

• Locked thread