Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

!!!

I suddenly understand so much more about it, and maybe even feel more understanding towards it.

Yeah, it kinda widened my eyes too.

Not sure whether for better or for worse. I think Shadowrun is fun but depending on my mood the setting is either utterly awesome or utterly ridiculous to me.

Which is about par for the course for our hobby. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

The end result was an evil Aasimar Paladin with Diplomacy unrivaled by any I've seen since.

I know I'm late on this but I hope at some point you had your character try to convince a person that you were a lunar body

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Temascos posted:

And finally, they stop a bank robbery and utterly pulverise the enemy so I made sure to draw in loads of blood splatters. :)

You draw in blood splatters too? One of my party members would do that (on Gametable) whenever he got a critical hit. I don't mean just a quick swirly blob of red, I mean lovingly-detailed fans, careful wall-following spatters, pools filled in neatly with his Wacom tablet. It got ridiculous in one fight where he managed to crit every single enemy he attacked. When he one-shot the mage, he narrated it as slicing the head open, and added bits of gray. :gibs:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Exculpatrix posted:

The worst part: I'm running a 7th Sea campaign with five players, four of whom are excellent, the fifth is Larry. Other than generally having a slightly irritating personality (it's like sitting in a room with 4chan incarnate), Larry appears to be one of those people who just can't make a character that fits the party/campaign. In a previous game that was centred around investigation and intrigue he built a combat monster, complained that he had nothing to do because there weren't many fights, and then didn't use his non-combat skills in situations where they were relevant.

I knew a player like this. The solution, in the end, was to stop inviting him to game night. I hope it works out better for you though. The fun for that guy was being a contrarian rear end in a top hat in a setting where he felt that people weren't allowed to call him on it ("but it's in character for me to constantly attempt to betray everyone, steal from them, murder them in their sleep, sell them into slavery, whatever, but not in character for them to retaliate").

Edit: He didn't like Paranoia, because people would betray him all the time. When another player pointed out that he should love the game because that's how he played every other game, he went on about character knowledge and metagaming and stuff in a really weird not-argument that he wasn't like that at all.

--

Notable experience from years ago.

We were playing 4e, back when it came out. One player didn't like the idea of 4e very much. He wasn't/isn't a grognard (or indeed a very avid gamer), but he did like 2e and hadn't played 3. He made an eladrin wizard, picked pretty good powers and stuff, had an interesting backstory, and I thought everything would be fine.

He wouldn't move in combat, and only used the same at-will power every round. For a whole session. When someone asked him what he was doing, he said that he didn't have any decent powers so there was no point doing anything different and this game sucks I can't do anything and can't we play WoD instead, or Shadowrun, or Star Wars, or risk, or xbox, or poker, or literally anything but this stupid game? We still have no clue what his deal was, it's like he was determined not to have any fun whatsoever, but it had nothing to do with edition wars or anything. It's not even that he didn't like 4e, he just wanted to do something other than what everyone else wanted to do, and wanted them to stop what they were doing and do his thing instead. Any of his things, as long as he got to pick.

I haven't spoken to him for a couple of years now, because he'd get like that with everything, not just games, but the first time any of his friends noticed was with that 4e game. You couldn't even go to the pub with him, immediately after arriving he'd want to leave to go to a venue of his choice, even if he'd picked the first venue.

Edit: To clarify that the players in those experiences are different guys.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 7, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

I knew a player like this. The solution, in the end, was to stop inviting him to game night. I hope it works out better for you though. The fun for that guy was being a contrarian rear end in a top hat in a setting where he felt that people weren't allowed to call him on it ("but it's in character for me to constantly attempt to betray everyone, steal from them, murder them in their sleep, sell them into slavery, whatever, but not in character for them to retaliate").

Edit: He didn't like Paranoia, because people would betray him all the time. When another player pointed out that he should love the game because that's how he played every other game, he went on about character knowledge and metagaming and stuff in a really weird not-argument that he wasn't like that at all.
RPG's are escapist fun. For some people what they want to escape to is a world with no consequences where no-one can tell them what to do and they can stick out like a sore thumb and be the untouchable rear end in a top hat for once.

Which there's nothing innately wrong with, it's just completely unsuited to a social game.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yawgmoth posted:

Letting an engineer of any kind have free rein in D&D is a recipe for disaster, really.

Actually it owns. You get to constantly tell him that the world doesn't work like that. Oh, you made an electrical generator? that's nice, but unfortunately electricity is what happens when storms get lonely for the earth so your generator doesn't actually power anything, it just bums out clouds. way to go jerk

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I play with physicists and chemists. Once our DM described a strange material, "like metal, but transparent" and got in reply a long explanation about what exactly it is that defines a sustance as a metal or makes it transparent and how the two properties are incompatible. He thought about that for a second and said, "that's all well and good but this is my world. So: you found this transparent metal. And it smells faintly of peppermint."

e: he himself is 100% guilty of the engineering thing though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Liesmith posted:

Actually it owns. You get to constantly tell him that the world doesn't work like that. Oh, you made an electrical generator? that's nice, but unfortunately electricity is what happens when storms get lonely for the earth so your generator doesn't actually power anything, it just bums out clouds. way to go jerk

"Tell me again about how Mythology is a useless degree jackass."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Liesmith posted:

How bummed does a cloud have to be to cry? Can I use my generator to help end the drought?

This is me fully supporting your approach by the way.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splicer posted:

How bummed does a cloud have to be to cry? Can I use my generator to help end the drought?

This is me fully supporting your approach by the way.

yes you can! but you are gonna get hosed up by air, water, and storm elementals

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Liesmith posted:

Can I trap an air elemental in a jar and use it to power my magic flying cart?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I play with physicists and chemists. Once our DM described a strange material, "like metal, but transparent" and got in reply a long explanation about what exactly it is that defines a sustance as a metal or makes it transparent and how the two properties are incompatible. He thought about that for a second and said, "that's all well and good but this is my world. So: you found this transparent metal. And it smells faintly of peppermint."

e: he himself is 100% guilty of the engineering thing though.

The fledgling Eclipse Phase game I've been whining about for a week is run by that same electrical engineer I DMed for so long ago and one of the other players is some sort of mathematician so we end up with half hour derails about astrophysics or some poo poo. Its like playing with the Big Bang theory and I don't give half a poo poo about it. Just let me play my 120 year old alchoholic Russian cosmonaut in Iron Man armor.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2012

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splicer posted:

Now you're cooking with gas! (note, gas is not useful for cooking in my fantasy world)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Liesmith posted:

Not to mention angry protestors holding placards reading "END CLOUD CRUELTY NOW".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Whybird posted:

Not to mention angry protestors holding placards reading "END CLOUD CRUELTY NOW".
Is that what they say? My magic flying cart is far too high for me to read the crude daubings of land-bound peasants.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yes. It is slower than normal air elementals and you'll piss off a lot of them flying around in this monstrosity.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pierzak posted:

Yes. It is slower than normal air elementals and you'll piss off a lot of them flying around in this monstrosity.
Flying through the sky (realm of the air elementals) in transportation fueled by elemental slaves sounds like an exceedingly bad idea.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

("but it's in character for me to constantly attempt to betray everyone, steal from them, murder them in their sleep, sell them into slavery, whatever, but not in character for them to retaliate").

While not quite the same thing I'm dealing with a game where a person literally complains that anything my character does (and sometimes other people but I get the focus) is metagaming, out of character, against his alignment, etc. Then he blatantly metagaming stuff or straight up does evil things with a lawful good alignment and sees no hypocrisy and gets offended when called on it. I personally wouldn't really care about the stuff he's doing (I'm not the one pointing it out) but it REALLY speedbumps the flow of game when half of everything done out of combat results in an argument which results in most of the time I just keep my mouth shut and let his character do everything since it's less painful.

I don't think he's doing it knowingly to be a jerk (it's really like he doesn't get that he's doing what he's complaining about) but it's still not really very fun.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 8, 2012

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chance II posted:

The fledgling Eclipse Phase game I've been whining about for a week is run by that same electrical engineer I DMed for so long ago and one of the other players is some sort of mathematician so we end up with half hour derails about astrophysics or some poo poo. Its like playing with the Big Bang theory and I don't give half a poo poo about it. Just let me play my 120 year old alchoholic Russian cosmonaut in Iron Man armor.

This guy better call himself the Man of Steel

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clanpot Shake posted:

Flying through the sky (realm of the air elementals) in transportation fueled by elemental slaves sounds like an exceedingly bad idea.
don't listen to the pinko revisionist lies the great elemental war was about states' rights read a book sometime

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Whybird posted:

Splicer posted:

don't listen to the pinko revisionist lies the great elemental war was about states' rights read a book sometime

This is basically 'Iron Council', though, isn't it?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My best experience was riding in the backpack of the party's Barbarian. Pocking enemies with my polarm wielding halfling.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

w00tmonger posted:

My best experience was riding in the backpack of the party's Barbarian. Pocking enemies with my polarm wielding halfling.

See? I told you guys mounts were broken in 4e!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Things may go badly for the characters in my eberron campaign. Since their airship is powered by a bound elemental. But it's a fire elemental, so maybe air elementals are ok with that. Elitist Jerks.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Things may go badly for the characters in my eberron campaign. Since their airship is powered by a bound elemental. But it's a fire elemental, so maybe air elementals are ok with that. Elitist Jerks.
First the adventurers came for the fire elementals, but I said nothing, because I was not a fire elemental...

Alternatively, cast Charleton Heston as the leader of the fire elementals. "Let my people go!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

That rule was enacted after I started stealing people's pants by convincing the the wearers their combat prowess would improve without them.

"Woooo! I'm invisible!"

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I figure elementals are self-centered and have overly inflated opinions about their own abilities. "Sure, those lesser elementals get bound by wizards, but it's their own fault. No way I'm ever gonna get summoned!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

Slaves? Pfft. I bargained for the service of these elementals with the Four Great Lords of the Air fair and square. :smug: Now if you'll excuse me, I must make it to where the sun sets so I can forge the metal of this fallen star into a sword which can defeat the evil which rules the mortal realm and bring freedom to all humankind.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

I figure elementals are self-centered and have overly inflated opinions about their own abilities. "Sure, those lesser elementals get bound by wizards, but it's their own fault. No way I'm ever gonna get summoned!"

"If those air elementals really wanted to be free they'd work harder at it. They'd pull themselves out of that airship by their bootstraps."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I played in a game where the halfling wizard lost both his legs and ever after rode in a specially constucted frame on the fighter's shoulders. The fighter would run around and smash people while the wizard would rain burning death down on distant foes. There was talk of transferring the fighter's soul into a war elephant so that everyone could ride him into battle, but he didn't like the idea of having a trunk. The halfling had the option to get magic peglegs, but decided not to because he was having too much fun.

Edit: Crowning moment of that game was the fighter facing down the BBEG, saying "Say hello to my little friend", and hurling the shielded halfling at him. Edit edit: My friend says I misremember, the halfling was shielded and set himself on fire in mid flight.

AgentF posted:

"If those air elementals really wanted to be free they'd work harder at it. They'd pull themselves out of that airship by their bootstraps."

Air Elementals are so lazy and poor that they don't even have boots and thus have no bootsraps with which to pull themselves up.

It's not that when you're a being of sentient breezes you have no use for boots and indeed they just fall though you, they're just really lazy and don't want to improve themselves.

They should be more like the Earth Elementals, who are inherently valuable because they contain gold.

We need to go back to the Earth Elemental Standard and stop giving handouts and benefits to the lazy kinds of elemental who have no inherent value whatsoever (except providing clean power, but gently caress clean power, Fire elementals are good enough for us!)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 9, 2012

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Can we stop the derail and focus on game stories?

My first ever game of 3E was with a first level bard, a monk, and the GM. It was over AIM.

We fought skeletons.
Then magic skeletons.
Then WOW giant skeletons.
At which point I said gently caress it.

A few years later, someone I don't know invites me to game. I say, why not?

And they start in with THOSE loving SKELETONS.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 12, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Golden Bee posted:

Can we stop the derail and focus on game stories?

My first ever game of 3E was with a first level bard, a monk, and the GM. It was over AIM.

We fought skeletons.
Then magic skeletons.
Then WOW giant skeletons.
At which point I said gently caress it.

A few years later, someone I don't know invites me to game again.
And they start in with THOSE loving SKELETONS.

Welcome to the elemental plane of skeletons.

Did any of the skeletons have bootstraps?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Golden Bee posted:

THOSE loving SKELETONS.
Reminds me of DM of the Rings.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Error 404 posted:

Welcome to the elemental plane of skeletons.
I would play in that game.
Also:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I would play in that game.

So would I, but Golden Bee sounds like he had a boring DM with a boring adventure.

There's nothing wrong with a game about re-killing the undead, but fighting skeletons, skeletons, magic skeletons, skeletons, big skeleton sounds boring as gently caress if there's nothing else going on.

One time, we fought skeletons that kept getting back up. We didn't figure out the trick, and we all got killed. Then the DM sulked because it should have been obvious. gently caress's sake, if the players try three or four things, let the last one work in the nick of time.

--

Let me tell you about Steve as a DM. Steve was a grognard in the days of 1st edition AD&D and is probably still a grognard, but I haven't spoken to him for 10 years. I've talked about Steve As A Player before, but he was a bad DM too.

According to Steve, some rules were The Word Of Gygax Never To Be Questioned, and some rules could be bent or circumvented but still never broken. Character creation had to be 3d6 in order, but he was extremely generous about stat-increasing items. You never got what you wanted though, you'd be playing a fighter and get a wisdom tome or something, because All Magic Items Must Be Rolled For, but on tables he designed himself. You'd fight generic enemies, and occasionally there'd be enemies you had to run away from, but no indication of what the encounter was all about.

"You see some orcs"
"How many?"
"You can't tell"
"What are they doing?"
"Standing around"
"Attack!"
"200 orcs come streaming into the cavern, led by a couple of giants"

Steve wanted to run a high level game. But The Word Of Gygax prohibited him from starting at anything other than level 1 (I have no idea if that's an actual rule). His solution was to start the game and then almost immediately say "You come across a badly wounded Red Dragon. It has one hit point left and is unconscious. You quickly stab it to death. Gain 57,381xp and this big stack of treasure and (random) magic gear". I guess the rule about never advancing more than one level at a time could be safely ignored.

He also once did an "outdoor dungeon", with a series of twisting paths and clearings in the underbrush "that's too thick to pass through". One of the players was a druid, and you can see where that's going. Apparently he sulked for hours because The Word Of Gygax allowed the druid to run right through his dungeon walls and he couldn't say something like "no, you can't, they're dark magic" because it wasn't in the rules.

He once had a player roll up a character in the middle of a session because his other character had died. This was still AD&D, so there was meticulous kitting out of the character (with a ten foot pole, hammer, spikes, two waterskins, one with wine for washing acid off things, etc - all necessary because Steve would check your sheet for things like "belt pouch, empty" if you wanted to carry stuff that you found after he arbitrarily rules that your backpack was full). Then Steve introduced him as "A naked man falls from the sky screaming. When you shake him into consciousness, he has 2 hit points left" because he couldn't figure out how a dude would be in that place, so "a wizard must have sent him here". Now, that could be great comedy if there was any sort of humour behind it, but Steve was just being a dick because he could.

I only played with him as DM three times (the dragon time, the druid time, and one other time), but some of my friends kept on going back for years. I have no idea why.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I refuse to believe Steve is real(I do actually believe you but you get what I'm saying). He sounds like something from a comic book or a parody. I insist upon a physical description to complete the image.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Still one of my favoritest stories happened in a D&D 3.5 game.

We where playing D&D 3.0 or 3.5 about ten years ago and where traipsing through a swamp to slay a dragon, or at least shoo it off, when we where ambushed by a necromantic sorcerer with a bunch of summons. The fight went surprisingly well and after realizing he wasn't going to win the sorcerer cast Darkness on himself and started flying away.

The party just stood there cursing and we quickly devolved into OOC cross chatter trying to figure out where that sorcerer had come from when Jer, who was a great player but always had a hard time remembering the rules and was playing the mage, turned to me and asked, "What's the range of a fireball?" I having just played a mage in a previous game rattled it off and turned back to the cross talk.

He tapped my shoulder again "What's the blast size?" I rolled my eyes and told him.

Jer pondered a bit more and turned to the GM "How big is the darkness and how far away is the Sorcerer?" The GM was surprised at the questions and said "About a 40ft sphere and 200ft and increasing."

Jer, with the complete sincerity of one who had never heard about Galstaf Wizard of Light, declared "I cast fireball at the darkness."

All conversation died as we started bug eyed at him, even the GM raised his eyebrows to that and told Jer he'd have to pass a spellcraft check to get the burst just right.

He passed it easily, than rolled almost max damage.

The GM just blinked realizing his recurring villain had just been killed and informed us that the sphere of darkness erupted in a flare and we could see a body plummeting to the earth.

The group erupted in cheers and slapped Jer on the back for what he had done and many of us where laughing so hard we where crying, later we showed him the D&D skit to understand why what he had done was so funny.

It's been ten years and I still remember the day Jer slew the darkness.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I refuse to believe Steve is real(I do actually believe you but you get what I'm saying). He sounds like something from a comic book or a parody. I insist upon a physical description to complete the image.

Haha, you won't believe me, he really was a caricature.

Steve was about 5'9" tall, rotund, mid brown hair in a scrappy ponytail. He was neckbearded, sometimes goatee'd. Even in high school he'd try to grow a beard over the holidays. He always wore these awful denim shirts, open with a t-shirt under them (not stained though, he wasn't a disgusting neckbeard).

I actually learned a fuckload about DMing from Steve. I'd think about what he'd do, and not do that. As a player... well, "Steeeeve! Nooooooo!" is still a catchphrase in my main group when someone is doing something fucktarded.

My little brother, who would have been around 10 in the early 90s when we knew him, also had a friend Steve, and when I would mention Steve, my brother would say "good Steve or gently caress-knuckle Steve?" He was actually in my parent's old address book under F, as "gently caress-knuckle Steve". My parents thought it described him pretty well, having met him for all of 10 minutes one time.

I'm getting slightly angry just thinking about him, and I last saw him in probably 1998.

robziel posted:

"I cast fireball at the darkness."

This sort of thing is why it's worth gaming.

Ashdesert
Feb 12, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

One time, we fought skeletons that kept getting back up. We didn't figure out the trick, and we all got killed. Then the DM sulked because it should have been obvious. gently caress's sake, if the players try three or four things, let the last one work in the nick of time.

Oh my God I hate when DM's come up with puzzles/riddles with only one "obvious" solution and won't give you any leeway or let you win with a clever answer they didn't think of. Of course it's obvious to you, you came up with it, but we're not telepathic.

This reminded me of something I would think would count as a "worst experience". I once played in an AIM 3.5 game where we started out in a clearing in the middle of a forest at night. If you walked out one side you ended up back in the clearing. There were a bunch of balls of light floating around and we found out that you absorb them if you touch them, and then you can "discharge" them in a beam of light. It turned out that we were all enchanted and asleep at an inn, and we had to escape the dream. The "obvious" solution that the DM thought up was for everyone to discharge their beam at the same time upward to the sky. I stuck around for 3 hours before leaving, one of my friends who toughed it out said they ended up taking 5 hours before the DM just told them what to do.

What I learned from that evening: if the players come up with a solution that's sufficiently clever, roll with the punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ashdesert posted:

What I learned from that evening: if the players come up with a solution that's sufficiently clever, roll with the punches.
This, loving this all the way. I had a Mage ST who did something very similar, where we had to pick the "right answer" from two words. All we were given were these two words, and we had to do this like 5 times; if we picked wrong, we lost a shitload of in-game time, so just picking at random was going to likely gently caress our plans all the way up. The "right answer" was to pick the misspelled word, but this woman was several different kinds of stupid so out of 10 words, 8 were misspelled and one wasn't that she thought was. It was the worst session of the entire chronicle and I told her if she ever did that again my character would commit suicide by paradox, i.e. just casting spells and killing poo poo until I either died from all the abyss monsters getting summoned or from the mage police/regular police calling in a tactical strike.