Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It's time for Persona 4: The Hokuto no Ken Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpD-LZ2J2Pg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, is that Fog as the instant kill music? That's awesome.

EDIT: Oh and Yu uses Izanagi-No-Okami for his instant kill, that's the cherry on top.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 4, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

It's time for Persona 4: The Hokuto no Ken Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpD-LZ2J2Pg

I bet this is going to lead to some serious Toki bullshit.
The announcer is Kaiji's narrator :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 4, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I bet this is going to lead to some serious Toki bullshit.

Well, on top of the requirements being a bit steep, some of them have really awful properties as well. Really long or very obvious startup and all that.

Some of them look like they are really good though, like Chie or Aegis's. One thing we don't know yet though, is if you can even combo into them or not.

Hey Spiking, what are the properties on Yukiko's Fire Boost/Amp and Fire Break specials? I haven't seen anyone even attempt to use them yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 4, 2012

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well, on top of the requirements being a bit steep, some of them have really awful properties as well. Really long or very obvious startup and all that.

Some of them look like they are really good though, like Chie or Aegis's. One thing we don't know yet though, is if you can even combo into them or not.

Hey Spiking, what are the properties on Yukiko's Fire Boost/Amp and Fire Break specials? I haven't seen anyone even attempt to use them yet.

Fire boost is really easy to throw out and safe. You can cancel into it at the end of combo chains and stuff and easily sneak a charge. I still can't tell what the bonus is, though. Fire break is a longer charge and pretty unsafe even if you do it cancelled from a combo, but it's obviously pretty useful if you do it when you have a lot of meter. If you charge the unblockable when she has meter and is awakened it's probably ggs because her awakened super combos into itself and does good damage.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Spiking what is akihiko like? I'm assuming you use jab pressure followed up dashes to get in and stay in? What does the tornado icon do?

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I played him once or twice. He's kind of like dudley if he was a gg character?
He's very interesting but I like winning... If I had a training mode I'd want to play him more but you know?

He has a move thats just like dudleys machine gun blow in that it seems safe on block mostly. Maybe not completely/vs everyone. But I think it's safe. He has followups off of it that I couldn't figure out, including a backwards sway that's upper body? invincible. Or maybe invincible. He has two other followup punches one is safe and one is not. I think maybe he can keep chaining different followups? The tornado is like a combo counter, for each special you do in a combo it goes up and increases his super damage at the end fairly noticeably. He has a fullscreen fast super but it does like no damage. He summons lightning really fast. He can also d a powerup to give all his normals a chance to paralyze. then his other super is just his combo ender punch thing. His crouching jab is really good, maybe the best in the game. His D attack summons his avatar (which seems hard to hit? compared to usual easy persona breaks) and it drags the enemy towards him. Also he can 'sway' forwards in what i assume is a projectile invincible sway thing. So he has lots of ways to 'get in' but the problem is I donno how he can fight what I feel like is the best character now.

Mitsu is looking more and more godlike. Her jab can be crouched, but it's fast as gently caress and long range as gently caress and leads into super. Her crouch jab is good too and leads into super. Her air jab has dominating horizontal range. Her AA is slow but seems to beat jumpins handily. she has an instant overhead with jump B that I eat ALL THE TIME cause it's fast and good and I'm always crouching cause I don't wanna block her jab. I can do OK versus her as Kanji or as Naoto, but both of them feel the pain at neutral. Naoto's gun is good. I was catching good players with it. It's really good. It has three angles and spacing the shots lets you fish for them to move. Its especially good if you have a trap or two out that they have to worry about. And you can roll backwards or just reload or cancel gun stance and go in on them.

Still looking for the instant kill input!

Also GB the UoH is unsafe vs Mitsu because of her jab. At least Naoto's is. Maybe some are safe. They're real different. Kanji's is complete rear end. Chie and Mitsu have faster gooder ones.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Spiking posted:

Fire boost is really easy to throw out and safe. You can cancel into it at the end of combo chains and stuff and easily sneak a charge. I still can't tell what the bonus is, though.

As per the OP, apparently an increase in damage, size, and chip of all Agi-based attacks. You can stack it up to 6 times, so it's probably something like a 10% damage increase for each level. Any idea when it decreases? On knockdown, or on use would be pretty likely I guess.

Spiking posted:

Also GB the UoH is unsafe vs Mitsu because of her jab. At least Naoto's is. Maybe some are safe. They're real different. Kanji's is complete rear end. Chie and Mitsu have faster gooder ones.

UoH is Universal Overhead? If so, it's seeming like the real attractive feature of those is that they all have some degree of auto-guard. Yukiko's looks like an obvious reference to Anji's 6H because of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if many were punishable on block given how much auto-guard they have.

Edit: Also I take back what I said about Chie's IK looking really good. It's actually got a lot of startup too, it's not until the dragon comes out where it actually goes active. However, it's still fast enough that you could use it in reaction to certain other really slow things.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 5, 2012

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Is the entire point of green and blue exclamation points to tell people they weren't blocking at the right height, or do they mean something else?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eeevil posted:

Is the entire point of green and blue exclamation points to tell people they weren't blocking at the right height, or do they mean something else?

Pretty much. They exist to tell you that you did something wrong, tried to break a throw too early, that you are being thrown, etc.

You know, since it's still the early days of the game, I would think that there'd be a bit more variety in who's getting played, but it all seems to be Mitsuru, Naoto, Kanji, and Chie. I want to see some Yosuke and Akihiko action.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

You know, since it's still the early days of the game, I would think that there'd be a bit more variety in who's getting played, but it all seems to be Mitsuru, Naoto, Kanji, and Chie. I want to see some Yosuke and Akihiko action.

There was a bunch of Yosuke and Teddy in this set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_s0An2EaU

There are 6 parts and they sort of show up at random in there. The Teddy player is actually pretty good, the Yosuke is decent enough to be worth a look.

Here's a new series from yesterday that has some variety:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeYFTRFrPlk - Chie, Aigis, Akihiko, Kanji, Yu
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60l33jPZ75Y - Aigis, Mitsuru, Yosuke
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS3c_-sDPCM - Yukiko, Akihiko, Chie
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1eLbesHks - Aigis, Yukiko
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYXH8-GJvE - Chie, Kanji, Yukiko, Mitsuru
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMUp9U89XY0 - Jam, Potemkin, Yukiko, Mitsuru

Part 3, first time I've actually seen a Fatal Counter used, it did a poo poo load of damage (~50% life for 25 SP). There seems to be a pretty fair amount of situational combos starting to show up now, since the corner, awakening, and fatal counter all give you different possible combos.

Pretty okay Aigis play in some of those. She has so many crazy good looking moves, but it seems like it must be really hard to put them together well.

Another important snippet from Part 6: Kanji can cancel his R Action into a super on block. I'm betting that means other characters can as well.

To answer my own question, Yukiko's Fire Boost stay until the end of the round. Looks like you can get them in really easily by using her delayed Agi's. Looked like a fairly reliable method was her long mid screen combo ended in an Agi setup, Boost, release Agi, Boost again.

Oh right, Aigis is the robot, Aegis is the reflector.
VVVVV

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 6, 2012

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Aegis
:spergin: That's not how you spell Aigis.

I appreciate your findings of Aigis gameplay though, I love her entire concept and it's really loving cool. Gonna play her and Naoto, probably the P4U Original Character on the console release, Labrys, as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For Spiking and any other Yukiko fans out there, Yukiko has an unblockable setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT8-b21LZGg#t=1m13s

Her Persona dive attack (5D) hits high. The Anji similarities go farther than her A+B attack so it seems. It doesn't look rock solid by any means, but it's still another super nasty tool for her.

Hopefully it ends up being like Anji's unblockable in that it's good but far from game breaking or anything. Right now Yukiko is looking really tops though, should be interesting to see how things keep evolving.

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks to [SpA]Relentless on DL for the find.

Also, the input for all IKs is 222C+D.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 7, 2012

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I can't stop writing words about this game!!!!!

System:
Wow the stages are kind of small. If I get two mixups it seems like I corner someone. Either that or combos have a lot of carry.
Yeah for real everyone's r action is super cancellable I found that today too. I was playing Akiko or whatever his name is and his R action gives a free super if it hits. Good for safe super people too. But some R actions are rear end and some are good. Kanji and Teddie have top teir R's, Yukiko maybe a little less good? Yu and Mitsu have good but more punishable R's. chie and naoto's seem kinda bad. I barely ever see the other characters so I can't say. Kanji has a super that is not safe but is really hard for mashing Bad Player to punish cause it drops a projectile on block so cancelling his R action into super lets me put the fear into people.

Kanji:
Been playing a lot of him lately. His fake DP r action is really good. since it's just two buttons i hurf durf throw it out when i think someone is gonna poke me from long range. it catches all pokes that have an active box on kanji it seems. It catches moves I feel like it has no business catching and also is not as brutally unsafe as some of the bad fake DP's. Between this and his command throw with invincible frames I feel like it is really, really hard to rush kanji down without trying to bait a lot. Not to mention his invincible Looks Safe super.

You can TK kanji's air grabs. It's really good with his EX air to ground. I like opening matches vs some chars with TK B air to ground grab. I think this is fraudulent but if it hits it puts me in a really good situation... his AA EX grab is loving dope. It waits for the opponent to jump and then air grabs at like a 70* angle. Great vs. characters who love their air game.

Also his third hit in his scrub A A A combo is an overhead which is why it's the scrub killa for real. After his chair slam it seems like you are neg frames but if i start up a grab it beats pokes.

But, his pokes and normals are still Bad compared to the hyper good ones in this game. Real hard to get in on a good player but he has some tools.

Yukiko:
lol if you get awakened and have meter you can 214 214 C, charge unblock, 214 214 D Combo for damage that is hard as gently caress to escape. I think some chars can probably double jump + do a persona move to stay above the flames. Also yukiko is looking better and better I'd say mostly because getting charged makes her mad scary. BUT i feel like she has a real bad match VS kanji.
PS her dive is 2D not 5D. aight I'm out.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I'm getting stoked about all of this Yukiko news. Want to get my hands on this game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was watching some uploaded stuff, and there's been a surprising surge of Yosuke stuff. I gotta say, his buff super looks loving amazing, holy poo poo. I don't know exactly how it works, or what it affects, but it seems to replace the normal dash with a teleport, maybe one that tracks? I dunno, but the buffs seem to be quite significant, and he looks to be pretty drat hard to block in that mode.

So long as it isn't FRKZ all over again, I'm happy.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Also yukiko is scary because of the poo poo retarded range on her 5A and 5C ahoohaho let me counter poke combo you baby.

Also also man the confusion effect is the loving worst if you get hit by it not expecting it. Free combo land

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Noticed on several occasions that Chie players use power charge in situations where a god's hand would finish the opponent and the opponent ko'd in a few hits even without power charge. Is there something I'm missing here?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They use Power Charge to extend the length of a combo basically. It's better than using God Fist because it does more damage, gets them closer to the corner, and it leaves you powered up afterwards.

As to why they'd do it at the end of a round instead of God Fist, probably just out of habit or wanting to be 100% certain they get enough damage.

I'm wondering why I haven't seen a single Guard Cancel at all yet. Probably just people slow to start using defensive options. I'm betting you can likely make use of them to beat some of Yukiko's unblockable setups. Depending on the invincibility, I'm wondering if some of them can make it through Maragidynes without getting hit.

As an extra thought on this, do Guard Cancels do damage? If so, can you use them to knock off a player's Blue life?

Also on that note, anyone have idea how much invincibility backdashes have?

Edit: Finally saw a Guard Cancel! They do 0 damage, no idea what effect they have Blue life though.

Also I was wrong about Yukiko's charge, you can go above Level 6. Is the max maybe 9?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 7, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Where are you all playing this game? Will somebody tacetly let the thread know when a rip is available? Or is this the unofficial Arcade UFO thread or something.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
AFAIK the only person in this thread actually playing is Spiking and I think he's in Japan. I could be wrong though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yes I'm pretty sure he is. The game runs on NESiCA, and I don't think there are any setups outside of Japan that have that.

Also asking about rips is :filez:

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Yea I live in Chiba. Its a shame the threads gonna die since no one else can play the game but I guess someone can remake it when it goes to console...

About gaurd cancels: I guess I just don't think to use it very much... feels a bit like a waste of meter compared to, say, GG. I haven't done this much yet just theorycrafting but I'd probably always rather do a fake DP move cancelled into super with any character who rocks a safe super. Even a semi-safe or hard to punish one. If they guessed wrong they eat damage and probably knockdown and if they block they take chip and you're out. Granted not many supers look safe and maybe more punishes will be discovered, also some fake DP's are bad. Or I might try a roll. Rolls have lots of invincibility at the start for escaping a trap like that.

GCs seem like they have lots of startup but also they make the game kinda freeze for a second? I've never seen one get beaten like you sometimes saw dead angle attacks lose out in gg.

Lately i've started sometimes mixing in kanji's fake dp sometimes cancelled into his smash super on Oki, since people get so antsy about blocking him. The smash isn't totally safe but if I have 100 I can cancel it. Meter comes really fast in this game. I'd say in one round I probably build 1 1/2 to two bars, more if I get awakened.

Also i'm pretty sure kanji's dp beat a teddie bursting on his wakeup.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Spiking posted:

Yea I live in Chiba. Its a shame the threads gonna die since no one else can play the game but I guess someone can remake it when it goes to console...

About gaurd cancels: I guess I just don't think to use it very much... feels a bit like a waste of meter compared to, say, GG. I haven't done this much yet just theorycrafting but I'd probably always rather do a fake DP move cancelled into super with any character who rocks a safe super. Even a semi-safe or hard to punish one. If they guessed wrong they eat damage and probably knockdown and if they block they take chip and you're out. Granted not many supers look safe and maybe more punishes will be discovered, also some fake DP's are bad. Or I might try a roll. Rolls have lots of invincibility at the start for escaping a trap like that.

GCs seem like they have lots of startup but also they make the game kinda freeze for a second? I've never seen one get beaten like you sometimes saw dead angle attacks lose out in gg.

Lately i've started sometimes mixing in kanji's fake dp sometimes cancelled into his smash super on Oki, since people get so antsy about blocking him. The smash isn't totally safe but if I have 100 I can cancel it. Meter comes really fast in this game. I'd say in one round I probably build 1 1/2 to two bars, more if I get awakened.

Also i'm pretty sure kanji's dp beat a teddie bursting on his wakeup.

So is everyone in Japanese Arcades giving this one a whirl? Or is it the same exact crowd that only plays HnK and completely avoids the SF4 // GGXX:AC machine?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I dunno about the scene at large, but Kaqn is definitely playing this game and he's the first good Aigis player we've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP75HJhBiUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PApktwFqU

(Fairly decent Yosuke player in there too for those who've been wanting one of those)

Also I absolutely love the tactic of damaging yourself with R Actions to get yourself into Awakened mode. Hilarious and very risk/rewardy.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 9, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What is Yosuke's gimmick anyway? Is he just really fast? He looks kinda cool in those match videos but honestly everyone looks pretty neat so far.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, super high speed and trickery, he's the 'ninja' character of the game. He has a sort-of Alpha Blade style move that's safe on block, and the EX version covers the whole screen lightning fast and is VERY invincible. He also has a lot of air control with those weird jump over moves of his and his kunai toss, and also he has an air move that hits low by teleporting him to the ground, but it's crazy unsafe on block.

He also has some weird parry kind of things where he trips the other person? Not sure how those work exactly though. And he has some sort of full screen command grab, though it has a lot of startup so I'm not sure what all it's useful for.

Plus one of his supers just makes him even faster on top of that. :I

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes I'm pretty sure he is. The game runs on NESiCA, and I don't think there are any setups outside of Japan that have that.

Also asking about rips is :filez:

So is this like the Blazblue games where the arcade versions run on Windows in the background?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So is this like the Blazblue games where the arcade versions run on Windows in the background?

Yeah, it runs on Taito's Type X2 which is Windows.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Here's a top (US) Blazblue/Melty player going over stuff in the game: http://www.twitch.tv/jiyuna/b/311117978 He's won or done really well in a lot of US tournaments and currently lives in Japan.

It's pretty disorganized but he goes into some system stuff that's interesting.

It seems like this game has really, really low barrier for execution to be passably decent but tons of hardcore style mechanics that aren't super forgiving. It's a really interesting mix and I'm wondering if the game will last a long time because it doesn't seem like there's a lot of "hard" stuff. There's still plenty of bullshit and options though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
One of my only issues with this game is that the character movesets seem a little barren compared to previous arcsys games. Do you think this was an intentional choice or just the result of trying to keep things simple (if nothing else, no dp motions cuts down on the maximum number of moves)?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Spiking posted:

I played him once or twice. He's kind of like dudley if he was a gg character?
He's very interesting but I like winning... If I had a training mode I'd want to play him more but you know?

What, this game hasn't got a training mode? I'm pretty sure a bunch of Melty-esque games in Japan had training modes that gave you five minutes or so to mess around for a credit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

P4 Arena to have "more volume" than BlazBlue on its home console release

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

I think that makes it pretty clear that we'll see new characters in the console release (though with the way he phrased it there, it sounds like we could see more characters in the arcade version through timed release, and then more in the console release). Besides Labrys, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least a couple more.

Still waiting for the Koromaru reveal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RedBoot posted:

I think that makes it pretty clear that we'll see new characters in the console release (though with the way he phrased it there, it sounds like we could see more characters in the arcade version through timed release, and then more in the console release). Besides Labrys, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least a couple more.

Still waiting for the Koromaru reveal.

Koromaru would be ridiculous just for his hit-box being naturally 1/4 the size of everyone elses'. Now, I could see an older Ken with a Koromaru assist mechanic. That'd be sweet.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Bring back Shinjiro

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cinroth posted:

Bring back Shinjiro

The Best Answer.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Koromaru would be ridiculous just for his hit-box being naturally 1/4 the size of everyone elses'. Now, I could see an older Ken with a Koromaru assist mechanic. That'd be sweet.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want to fight another Iggy(Jojo's).

Elizabeth or Margaret would be interesting due to their abilities, but it'd be an unlikely pick. I'm happy enough with Labrys being playable.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
No Yukari No Buys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Please have all of the major Persona 3 characters in the console version. :pray: I will become the best player at this game, using only Fuuka if this happens.

• Locked thread