Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena - June 29, 1996 (5,930)

WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels defeated Vader via disqualification when Goldust interfered; following the match, Davey Boy Smith, Ahmed Johnson, and Psycho Sid did run-ins

Psycho Sid (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior) pinned Owen Hart with a chokeslam and powerbomb; Owen put up no offense (Sid's return match)

The Undertaker pinned Mankind with a chokeslam and tombstone

I remember being mad that Ultimate Warrior was replaced by some guy I never even heard of. Ended up thinking Sid was pretty cool after he started showing up on Raw. Glad I got to see both of the Rockers (Marty was in a tag match), and a Undertaker/Mankind match.

EDIT: Found out what I was doing fifteen years ago from today.

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Cobo Arena - March 8, 1997 (9,565)

WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia pinned the Sultan (w/ the Iron Sheik) with a roll up

Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Flash Funk with the Pedigree

Goldust pinned Mankind after hitting him with the urn

WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & WWF European Champion Davey Boy Smith defeated Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon when Smith pinned LaFon as Owen held the challenger’s legs down from outside the ring

Ahmed Johnson defeated Vader via disqualification when the Nation interfered

Farooq (w/ the Nation) defeated the Undertaker via disqualification when Taker used a chair; Ahmed Johnson made the save for the Undertaker after the match

WWF World Champion Psycho Sid defeated Bret Hart in a steel cage match by escaping out the door as Hart attempted to escape over the top

EDIT 2: Realized that Stone Cold didn't wrestle at either one, but I remember watching him watch the second event from behind a gate that lead to the back.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Rebellion 01 - Manchester, England - Evening News Arena - November 3, 2001 (15,612; sell out)
Billy Gunn & Chuck Palumbo defeated Lance Storm & Justin Credible when Palumbo pinned Credible with the Jungle Kick at 5:00
Pay-per-view bouts - included Chavo Guerrero Jr. & Hugh Morrus attempting to interview the Divas backstage; featured a backstage segment in which Vince McMahon forced Chris Jericho and the Rock to shake hands and bury the hatchet; they did shake hands but moments later were involved in a pull-apart brawl:
WWF IC Champion Edge defeated WWF European Champion Christian in a steel cage match at 12:49 by escaping over the top after trapping the challenger's feet between the ring ropes and cage bars, then tying his feet together with Edge's wrist tape; only the IC title was on the line
Scotty 2 Hotty pinned the Hurricane with a bulldog and the Worm at 8:55
The Big Show pinned Diamond Dallas Page with the at 3:15 by catching Page running off the ropes and hitting the chokeslam; after the bout, DDP grabbed the microphone and said that his loss wasn't a bad thing, it was a good thing because now he could leave the country
WCW Tag Team Champions the Dudley Boyz defeated the Acolytes and Matt & Jeff Hardy in an elimination match at 12:01; Matt pinned Farooq at 5:28 with the Twist of Fate after the Dudleyz hit a reverse necbreaker on Farooq; D-Von pinned Matt following the 3D after Jeff failed a Swanton attempt and was thrown to the floor
William Regal defeated Tajiri via submission with the Regal Stretch at 5:55 after Tajiri missed a moonsault off the top; prior to the bout, Regal grabbed the microphone and said that he was a much better role model for the English youth than David Beckham or anyone from Manchester United; after the bout, Tajiri sprayed Regal in the face with green mist before kicking him in the head
WCW World Champion Chris Jericho pinned Kurt Angle at 14:55 by reversing the Olympic Slam into a roll up; after the match, Angle attacked the champion from behind and hit two Olympic Slams
Lita & Torrie Wilson defeated Molly Holly & Stacy Keibler at 4:16 when Lita pinned Molly with the Twist of Fate after Torrie catapulted Molly into Stacy in the corner; Trish Stratus was the guest referee for the match; after the bout, Stacy argued with Trish over the decision before Trish dropped her with a bulldog
WWF World Champion Steve Austin pinned the Rock at 22:09 with the Stunner after Kurt Angle hit the challenger in the face with the title belt as Rock ran the ropes in preperation for the People's Elbow; minutes earlier, Angle came to the ring and hit Rock in the back with a steel chair as the referee was down; moments later, Chris Jericho came out to make the save, stealing the chair away from Angle, and sending him to the floor; when the Rock came to and saw Jericho with the chair, he assumed Jericho was the one who had hit him and knocked him to the floor; after the bout, Austin and Angle embraced before leaving the ring together as the show came to a close

I can't remember what exactly they sang but Austin and Rock had a singing contest crammed full of jokes.

WWE (Raw) @ Nottingham, England - Arena - June 6, 2003
The Hurricane pinned Lance Storm with the Shining Wizard
Maven pinned Al Snow with a roll up
Goldust pinned Rico with the powerslam
Test pinned Val Venis with the boot to the face after shoving Val into Stacy Keibler who was on the ring apron
Christopher Nowinski & Rodney Mack defeated the Dudley Boyz when Nowinski pinned Bubba Ray after hitting him with the facemask; after the bout, Spike Dudley helped make the save
WWE IC Champion Christian pinned Booker T with a roll up and holding onto the ring rope for leverage
WWE Raw Tag Team Champions Rob Van Dam & Kane defeated Sylvian Grenier & Rene Dupree with the chokeslam / Five Star Frog Splash after Grenier accidentally hit his partner with one of the title belts
WWE Women's Champion Jazz defeated Trish Stratus and Victoria by pinning Trish with a roll up and using the tights for leverage
Kevin Nash & Scott Steiner (w/ Shawn Michaels & Stacy Keibler) defeated World Heavyweight Champion Triple H & Chris Jericho (w/ Ric Flair) when Nash pinned Triple H with the powerbomb after Michaels hit the superkick on an interfering Flair

I have picture from this one because we were sat front row and loads of cool moments including Rico blowing us a kiss because we cheered him so much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The first wrestling event I attended was Spring Stampede '99. Suck it, Wrestlehut.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
WWF @ Little Rock, AR - December 15, 1997
Kane defeated Chainz
The Undertaker defeated WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia in a non-title casket match
Marc Mero defeated Flash Funk
Henry & Phinneas Godwinn defeated the Headbangers in a country whipping match
Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Road Dogg & Billy Gunn via disqualification

I was so excited to see Kane. I didn't care about anyone else.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm going to a house show tomorrow, I hope they do Rock vs Taker in a casket match.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I'm going to a house show tomorrow, I hope they do Rock vs Taker in a casket match.

Hey are you going to Chikara on the 24th in Vaughan?

http://www.chikarapro.com/events.php

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - December 12, 1993 (7,000)
Owen Hart defeated Bastion Booger
The Headshrinkers defeated Men on a Mission
Rick Martel defeated Virgil
Doink the Clown defeated Bam Bam Bigelow
Randy Savage fought Crush to a double count-out
IRS defeated Marty Jannetty
WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon & the 1-2-3 Kid defeated Johnny Polo & Adam Bomb
Lex Luger defeated Ludvig Borga

I enjoyed it at the time because I was nine and it was my first show, but god almighty, this sounds like a wretched show.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hey are you going to Chikara on the 24th in Vaughan?

http://www.chikarapro.com/events.php

I thought about it, but nah I think I'll be skipping that one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I thought about it, but nah I think I'll be skipping that one.

Yeah, it's a bit of a trek. Would be nice to see Archie in person though.

My first WWF show. Look at this card. Just look at it:

quote:

WWF @ Toronto, Ontario - Maple Leaf Gardens - October 9, 1988
Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau; Brother Love was the advertised guest referee for the bout
Prime Time Wrestling - 11/15/88: Scott Casey pinned Richard Charland with a bulldog
B. Brian Blair defeated Iron Mike Sharpe
The Blue Blazer defeated Steve Lombardi
King Haku defeated Hillbilly Jim
Bad News Brown defeated Koko B. Ware
WWF IC Champion the Ultimate Warrior defeated the Honkytonk Man via disqualification
International Wrestling Challenge: Dino Bravo (w/ Frenchy Martin) defeated WWF World Champion Randy Savage (w/ Miss Elizabeth) via count-out at 9:20 after Savage attended to Elizabeth on the floor after Bravo shoved her

Three days after my 8th birthday, I took the free ticket I was entitled to from my WWF Fan Club subscription (which I had to dig through the garbage to find since I accidentally threw it out) and my mom and I went to see some graps, because she loved it and my dad could not stand it. I got a Macho Man foam finger and it was basically the best day ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I would have killed to go to wrestling when I was a kid superfan. I can only imagine getting to see Bret live at that point in my life. But noooo I had to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

I would have killed to go to wrestling when I was a kid superfan. I can only imagine getting to see Bret live at that point in my life. But noooo I had to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere

I feel the same way about my family not moving to Greensboro, NC until after the NWA's incompetence killed the town. Growing up there as a kid would have been AWESOME during the boom where the Coliseum sold out all the time.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The last live event I went to was the ECW taping which ended up being Chris Benoit's last match ever (with Elijah Burke!)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
WWF @ Syracuse, NY - War Memorial - November 17, 1991 (matinee)
Chris Chavis pinned Skinner
The Undertaker pinned Davey Boy Smith after hitting him with the urn
The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers
Roddy Piper (sub. for Sid Justice) defeated Jake Roberts
WWF IC Champion Bret Hart defeated the Barbarian (sub. for the Warlord) after about 15 minutes
The Big Bossman pinned IRS with a roll up; IRS had originally won the match by holding onto the ropes but the referee had the bout continue
The Nasty Boys defeated Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty after using a foriegn object

For the last 20 years I was sure that Piper fought Flair when thinking back on this show, turns out he was fighting Hogan in Anaheim and San Diego that day. we had great seats, on the entrance aisle 3 rows back, I got like 10 high-fives.

Also the Rockers/Nasty Boys match spilled outside the ring and when one of the Rockers had Jerry Saggs against the railing I put my program around his head so he couldn't see the punches coming at him. He ripped it off his face, turned around, grabbed me by the collar and yelled 3 inches from my face. Being 7 years old rules!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My first live event was Wrestlemania 18.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

WWF @ Little Rock, AR - December 15, 1997
Kane defeated Chainz
The Undertaker defeated WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia in a non-title casket match
Marc Mero defeated Flash Funk
Henry & Phinneas Godwinn defeated the Headbangers in a country whipping match
Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Road Dogg & Billy Gunn via disqualification

I was so excited to see Kane. I didn't care about anyone else.

Ten year old me was so excited to finally see Taker live. AND KANE. BAHGAWD. I remember the tag match being kinda boring, even though I liked King at the time.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I feel like I have a pretty drat cool one to share.

quote:

WWF @ Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena - May 19, 1992
WWF Superstars taping:

Prime Time Wrestling - 6/8/92: Jim Powers pinned Barry Horowitz at 5:55 with a powerslam

The Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) & the Legion of Doom (w/ Paul Ellering) defeated the Beverly Brothers (w/ the Genius) & the Mountie (w/ Jimmy Hart) at 13:31 when Road Warrior Animal pinned Beau following the Doomsday Device (WWF Wrestling's Fan Favorite Matches)

Tito Santana won a 40-man battle royal

WWF IC Champion Bret Hart defeated Shawn Michaels

Prime Time Wrestling - 6/15/92: Kerry Von Erich defeated Repo Man via disqualification when Repo used his hook as a weapon at 4:45 after Von Erich applied the claw hold

The Ultimate Warrior pinned Papa Shango at 5:29 with a flying shoulderblock and splash (The Ultimate Warrior)

Prime Time Wrestling - 6/8/92: Owen Hart & Koko B. Ware defeated the Brooklyn Brawler & Skinner when Owen pinned Brawler with a splash after a missile dropkick from the top rope at 7:59

WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Ric Flair

6/6/92 - included Gene Okerlund conducting an interview with Papa Shango in which he caused black goo to begin dripping from Okerlund's jacket sleeve:

WWF IC Champion Bret Hart defeated Tom Stone

The Nasty Boys defeated Reno Riggins & Major Yates

Kerry Von Erich defeated Mike Collins

The Beverly Brothers defeated Mike Samples & Scott Bailey

Crush defeated George Anderson

Owen Hart & Koko B. Ware defeated Kato & Kevin Kruger

Repo Man defeated Dan Robbins

Tatanka pinned Barry Horowitz with the Samoan Drop at 2:24

Shawn Michaels (w/ Sensational Sherri) pinned Craig Brown with the side suplex at 1:41

The Natural Disasters defeated the Executioners when Typhoon scored the pin with a splash after a sit-down splash from Earthquake at 2:34

The Mountie (w/ Jimmy Hart) pinned Bill Koby with a dropkick at 1:26; after the match, the Mountie threatened Koby with his shock stick until Koby ran backstage

Kamala (w/ Harvey Wippleman & Kimchee) pinned Dale Wolfe at 1:26 with a splash to the back

Tito Santana pinned Mike Samples with the flying forearm at 1:27

Nailz defeated Ron Cumberledge via submission at 1:07 with a choke; after the match, Nailz attacked Cumberledge with the nightstick, causing him to be taken backstage on a stretcher (Nailz' in-ring debut)

The Legion of Doom (w/ Paul Ellering) defeated Tom Benett & Barry Hardy at 1:42 when Road Warrior Hawk pinned Hardy following the Doomsday Device

Papa Shango fought Chris Hahn to a no contest when Shango cursed Hahn, causing his hand to catch fire, and Hahn ran backstage

Sgt. Slaughter defeated Red Tyler via submission with the Cobra Clutch at 1:37

Repo Man defeated Brian Costello via submission with a half crab at 1:45

Crush defeated the Brooklyn Brawler via submission with the head vice at 1:56

The Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) pinned Duane Gill with the tombstone at 2:05

WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Rock Werner &
Butler Stevens at 1:42 when IRS pinned Werner following a clothesline; prior to the bout, Howard Finkel announced that Shawn Michaels had left the building

Somehow I do not remember seeing Bret/Shawn, which in retrospect blows my mind. I had been to a few house shows at Rupp in the two years prior, and had no idea it was a Superstars taping until we got there. As you can tell by the rundown, it was such a different atmosphere and card, and made for one of the longest shows I've ever been to. Plus, I was relatively close to the aisle and got to 'five' a few of the wrestlers, including Kerry Von Erich. And look at all those classic jobbers! Brooklyn Brawler, Barry Horowitz, Reno Riggins, Mike Samples, and GILLBERG!

nasboat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 9, 2012

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Not sure if there's anyway to answer this, but the beer bath that Austin did with the beer truck... Was that real beer? It was a pretty high powered hose and I would imagine that some got into the crowd, so WWE could probably, technically get into trouble if it hits people under 21.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

How much does 100 gallons of beer cost?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chilly McFreeze posted:

How much does 100 gallons of beer cost?

Less than the thousands of Austin 3:16 shirts they sold that night.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Was it real gasoline that Kane poured all over the place?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Less than the thousands of Austin 3:16 shirts they sold that night.

Don't forget the cost of de-smelling everything!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

triplexpac posted:

Was it real gasoline that Kane poured all over the place?

JR and King immediately talked about the smell just permeating the entire arena. Cuz when you open a gallon container of gasoline in a huge 18000 person arena it instantly overwhelms you and your senses to the exclusion of everything else.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

oldpainless posted:

JR and King immediately talked about the smell just permeating the entire arena. Cuz when you open a gallon container of gasoline in a huge 18000 person arena it instantly overwhelms you and your senses to the exclusion of everything else.

I bet Jerry Lawler wears really smelly cologne and too much of it. Also I bet JR smells like meat.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
Those old Superstars tapings seem just awful! Sitting and watching 50 matches all afternoon. For every Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels match, you had to sit through:

The Nasty Boys vs. Reno Riggins & Major Yates

Question to the people that went to these shows, like a Superstars taping, or even worse! a WCW Saturday Night or Worldwide taping, what was it like? How borrrrring was it and who was there?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Another random question: When stealing finishers was all the rage in the Attitude era, did Triple H ever eat a Pedigree?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOi-6bmqTtw

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

loving whippersnappers.

WWF @ Boston, MA - Boston Garden - June 3, 1989 (12,000)
The final Boston Garden show televised on NESN - featured Tony Schiavone & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary:
Prime Time Wrestling - 6/12/89: Tim Horner pinned Barry Horowitz at 11:55 with a reverse roll up into a bridge
The Warlord (w/ Mr. Fuji) pinned Jim Neidhart at 4:35 with a clothesline to the back of the head as Neidhart was distracted by Fuji on the floor
Dusty Rhodes (sub. for Jake Roberts) pinned Ted Dibiase (w/ Virgil) at 8:30 with a roll up after Dibiase collided with Virgil on the ring apron
Paul Roma pinned Boris Zhukov with a powerslam at 11:36
Randy Savage (w/ Sensational Sherri) defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan via count-out at 12:56 after ramming Hogan into the steel barricade on the floor after Hogan became distracted by Sherri; after the match, Savage and Sherri celebrated in the ring and Savage strapped the title belt around his waist until Hogan cleared him from the ring, reclaiming possession of the belt, and then knocked Sherri to the floor with an atomic drop (Hulk Hogan: The Unreleased Archives)
Bret Hart fought Mr. Perfect to a time-limit draw at 18:53; after the bout, Hart grabbed the microphone and challenged Perfect for 5 more minutes; moments later, Perfect slid back in the ring and assaulted Hart from behind but was eventually crotched on the top rope and knocked to the floor
Dino Bravo pinned Hercules at 8:42 by holding onto the ropes for leverage as Herc attempted a sunset flip into the ring; after the bout, Hercules applied the full nelson on Bravo
WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated the Big Bossman & Akeem at 10:33 when Ax pinned Bossman after Akeem accidentally hit his partner; after the bout, the Twin Towers argued with one another; Ron Garvin was the guest referee for the match

This was when I freaked out during Hogan's match (I despised loud noises as a kid and the crowd went loving nuclear) and Dibiase was wandering by after his match and checked on me. :3:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Critical posted:

Bret Hart fought Mr. Perfect to a time-limit draw at 18:53; after the bout, Hart grabbed the microphone and challenged Perfect for 5 more minutes; moments later, Perfect slid back in the ring and assaulted Hart from behind but was eventually crotched on the top rope and knocked to the floor

All I can picture is Gary Chapetta saying, "This match is scheduled for one fall with an eighteen minute and fifty three second time limit."

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 9, 2012

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

Another random question: When stealing finishers was all the rage in the Attitude era, did Triple H ever eat a Pedigree?

I recall Owen hit him with a couple, as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Iskanderson posted:

I recall Owen hit him with a couple, as well.

Speaking of Owen, listening to a recent Observer Radio Meltzer said a possible plan going forward (had HBK not been injured) after HBK vs Austin at Mania was for HBK to work a program with Owen. This would play off the heat from Montreal and position Owen as the new Canadian hero.

Not sure how serious they were about doing that considering how they treated Owen after Bret left, but it's a fascinating "what if" scenario.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

sexy_trash posted:

Those old Superstars tapings seem just awful! Sitting and watching 50 matches all afternoon. For every Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels match, you had to sit through:

The Nasty Boys vs. Reno Riggins & Major Yates

Question to the people that went to these shows, like a Superstars taping, or even worse! a WCW Saturday Night or Worldwide taping, what was it like? How borrrrring was it and who was there?

They certainly could drag on. I had been to a handful of normal WWF house shows between 1990 and 1992 prior to the Superstars taping I posted about, and had no idea the May '92 one was a TV taping until we got in.

I didn't think it was too bad, though, but you have to remember that squash matches were a much bigger part of wrestling back then. Really, the "cool, I'm getting to be in the crowd for what's going to be on TV!" factor overshadowed the "I can't believe I'm watching a bunch of squash matches" factor.

Plus, they did try to sprinkle things in there to help keep the crowd up. I know the 40-man battle royal that Tito Santana won had the crowd popping, not only for the match itself but for the introduction of many of the wrestlers who were in it (which was a majority of the guys who worked that show).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Speaking of Owen, listening to a recent Observer Radio Meltzer said a possible plan going forward (had HBK not been injured) after HBK vs Austin at Mania was for HBK to work a program with Owen. This would play off the heat from Montreal and position Owen as the new Canadian hero.

Not sure how serious they were about doing that considering how they treated Owen after Bret left, but it's a fascinating "what if" scenario.

Seeing how well Owen vs. HHH went (not well), I wouldn't have much confidence in that program.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

Seeing how well Owen vs. HHH went (not well), I wouldn't have much confidence in that program.

Nothing beats being a program, burying a guy on the mic, dropping the title, without actually wrestling the guy, then beating the guy back for the title.

Early Hunter really pisses me off. Also, Hunter when he was working with the top guys, but wouldn't put a guy "under him" over him (ie: Jericho: "Everybody knows this piece of crap isn't on my level!") annoyed me too.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Oh man, I can't believe I found my first one! My dad took me and one of his coworker's kids as a favor. He's not big on wrestling, but when he has anything to do with something I like, he enjoys it and tries to research a bit. So in a week he went from "ha, what's the big deal" and laughing at me to "wow, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels put on a show!" I asked him last year about that comment and he said he meant it because he recognized that there are some awesome athletes doing this.

***=Nostalgia :swoon: with my personal memories. Keep in mind I was 10 at the time

WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - July 11, 1992 (12,500 paid)
The return to the arena after nearly 18 months; the WWF stopped using the arena over protest of the Meadowlands allowing WCW to use the venue
Tito Santana pinned Skinner ***"oh man this is an easy win for Santana. Skinner is so bad")

The Mountie defeated Sgt. Slaughter via count-out ***"I hate the Mountie SOOOOOOO much :argh:"

WWF IC Champion Bret Hart pinned Shawn Michaels ***:swoon: My dad got me a foam IC belt AND Bret Hart shades!

The Legion of Doom & Paul Ellering defeated the Beverly Brothers & the Genius ***some idiot chanting D-O-D instead of L-O-D and my dad goes "It's 3 letters and you can't get THAT right?" The match itself, I don't recall much

Virgil pinned Kato ***Nobody, and I mean NOBODY cared. My dad took us to the bathroom. In hindsight, this was the proper call. I'm amazed that he was able to do the :airquote: smart fan :airquote: move with just what he looked at on taped shows for a week to prepare for this experience and let us enjoy the matches otherwise.

The Big Bossman defeated Nailz via disqualification (Bossman's return after a 2-month absence) ***This one...it was Nailz beating up Bossman then he used the nightstick, and the ref called for the DQ, then Nailz kept wailing on him until other staff broke it up. I have no idea what it was meant to accomplish.

The Ultiamte Warrior pinned Papa Shango with a clothesline and splash ***at the time, it was awesome because WARRIOR RULZ YEAAAAAAAH over Shango's voodoo powers he used IN THE MATCH. Hindsight, holy crap was that match bad.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I don't remember what my first live show was but my last WWF/WWE one for many, many years (until the 2008 Rumble) was King of the Ring 1995:

quote:

King of the Ring 95 - Philadelphia, PA - CoreStates Spectrum - June 25, 1995 (16,590; 14,181 paid)
Sunday Night Slam:
KOTR Qualifying Match: Savio Vega (w/ Razor Ramon) pinned IRS (w/ Ted Dibiase) at 4:01 with a spin wheel kick; this bout was made at the last minute to fill the vacancy left due to Razor Ramon's rib injury, sustained against Jeff Jarrett two weeks earlier
Pay-per-view bouts - featured Vince McMahon & Dok Hendrix on commentary; a young Matt & Jeff Hardy opened the entrance door for the wrestlers during the show:
KOTR Quarter-Finals: Savio Vega (w/ Razor Ramon) defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Yokozuna (w/ Jim Cornette & Mr. Fuji) via count-out at 8:24 after Yoko ran into the ring post as Razor Ramon held off WWF Tag Team Champion Owen Hart from ringside
KOTR Quarter-Finals: The Roadie (w/ WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett) pinned Bob Holly at 7:30 after lifting a boot into Holly's face as he came off the top
KOTR Quarter-Finals: Shawn Michaels fought Kama (w/ Ted Dibiase) to a 15-minute time-limit draw; after the bout, Michaels hit the superkick on Kama
KOTR Quarter-Finals: Mabel (w/ Mo) pinned the Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) at 10:44 with a leg drop after Kama interfered and kicked the Undertaker in the back after he hit the chokeslam on Mabel
KOTR Semi Finals: Savio Vega (w/ Razor Ramon) pinned the Roadie (w/ WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett) at 6:36 with a roll up after sending him into Jarrett on the ring apron
Bret Hart defeated Jerry Lawler with the Sharpshooter at 9:20 in a Kiss My Foot match after outside interference from Hakushi backfired; after the bout, Hart forced Lawler to kiss his feet before having him kiss Lawler's own feet (Legends of Wrestling Collection, Legends of Wrestling: Jerry Lawler and the Junkyard Dog, The Best of King of the Ring)
KOTR Finals: Mabel (w/ Mo) pinned Savio Vega (w/ Razor Ramon) with a powerslam and splash at 8:32; after the match, Men on a Mission beat up both Razor Ramon and the returning 1-2-3 Kid; Razor, Savio, & the Kid were held back by officials during the coronation that followed (the Kid's surprise return after a 2-month absence)
WWF World Champion Diesel & Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Psycho Sid & Tatanka (w/ Ted Dibiase) at 17:35 when Diesel pinned Tatanka with the powerbomb after Sid walked out of the match

After that I swore off WWF live events.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Savio Vega (w/ Razor Ramon) defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Yokozuna (w/ Jim Cornette & Mr. Fuji) via count-out at 8:24 after Yoko ran into the ring post as Razor Ramon held off WWF Tag Team Champion Owen Hart from ringside

This sounds far more hilarious than it probably was.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

LividLiquid posted:

The first wrestling event I attended was Spring Stampede '99. Suck it, Wrestlehut.

WCW House Show in 1989.

Main Event Flair vs. Funk in a No DQ match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God Of Paradise posted:

WCW House Show in 1989.

Main Event Flair vs. Funk in a No DQ match.

:stare:

I guess the only thing that could top that would be a Flair v. Steamboat house show main event, but even then it would be a photo finish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My first, and, to date, only WWE (or pro wrestling of any kind) event:

quote:

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Madison, WI - Alliant Energy Center - May 28, 2011 (3,900)
Moved from 2/6/11; tickets for the original date were honored
Ted Dibiase Sr. was the guest host of the show; included an opening promo by Dibiase in which he said the winner of the battle royal would challenge for the WWE IC Title later in the show
Daniel Bryan won a battle royal by last eliminating Mark Henry after Henry eliminated Ezekiel Jackson; stipulations stated the winner would challenge for the WWE IC Title later in the show
Natalya Neidhart & AJ defeated Alicia Fox & Rosa Mendes when Fox submitted to Natalya's Sharpshooter
Yoshi Tatsu pinned Cody Rhodes with the kick to the head after Rhodes became distracted by Daniel Bryan at ringside
Jinder Mahal (w/ the Great Khali) pinned Trent Baretta after Khali interfered and hit a chop on Baretta behind the referee's back
Daniel Bryan defeated WWE IC Champion Wade Barrett via disqualification when Cody Rhodes interfered; after the bout, Rhodes, Heath Slater, and Justin Gabriel ganged up on Bryan until Ezekiel Jackson made the save
World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton defeated Sheamus and Christian by pinning Sheamus with the RKO

I'd say the attendance was a lot less than 3,900. Christian and Natalya were insanely over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

WWF @ Seattle, WA - March 6, 1994 (4,700; sell out)
The Bushwhackers defeated the Heavenly Bodies
The Smoking Gunns defeated the Tonga Kid (sub. for Fatu) & Samu
Doink & Dink the Clown defeated Bam Bam Bigelow & Luna Vachon
Men on a Mission defeated IRS & Bastion Booger
WWF Tag Team Champions the Quebecers defeated the 1-2-3 Kid & Jim Powers
Bret Hart & Lex Luger defeated Owen Hart & WWF World Champion Yokozuna via disqualification
Right before my 9th birthday. The ONLY two things I can remember from this show is Owen bouncing off the ropes to break a hold Bret had on his arm, and the ending of another match where the face chased a heel backstage--and I could see behind the curtain and watched them slowly walk off somewhere together.

I also got to go to the Smackdown! where Ashley Massaro unveiled her Playboy cover. Unexciting, sure. During the part of the TV coverage where she goes, "When I was a little girl, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to put my finger on to do," I reached my arm over to 'put my finger' on her, to do. Daaaadddd, you ruined my joke

-edit, guess they don't want embedding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1s91xtVsDw8#t=53s

Also got to see Goldberg jackhammer the Giant live, awesome