Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Veg posted:

For what its worth, the Winds of Winter is looking to be just as jacked as ASoS.

Haha you think that book is ever coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I won't believe Winds of Winter is ever coming out until A Dream of Spring is released.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Truly awesome map of the known world. Click for big.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Wow, even on that map Asshai is off-screen.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Iron Throne made of dead trees :3:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joramun posted:

Truly awesome map of the known world. Click for big.

Are there any maps that track everyone's movement from the start of Game of Thrones through to the last book? The geography of Dany's journey was always a little confusing to me and seeing it as a dotted trail on a detailed map like that one would probably clear up a few things I'm sure.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So there was an interview the the Gurm broadcasted here on the CBC tonight through NPR, at least here in Chicago, anyone else have a listen?

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 13, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ruddiger posted:

Are there any maps that track everyone's movement from the start of Game of Thrones through to the last book? The geography of Dany's journey was always a little confusing to me and seeing it as a dotted trail on a detailed map like that one would probably clear up a few things I'm sure.

She basically starts in Pentos, goes over the Dothraki Sea to Vaes Dothrak, then Drogo dies somewhere just above the desert. In book two she goes down the entire desert over to Qarth, where I think she stays until maybe the very end of the book. Then she goes over to Slaver's Bay in book 3 and fucks poo poo up with dragons, and then she settles in Meereen, where she is for most of book 5 until Drogon lifts her off to somewhere in the Dothraki Sea again.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm going to have to re-read Feast. I only read it once when it came out and felt so bored. I just kept thinking, who are all these new characters and all their names start with A. I have no clue wtf is happening here.

The Iron Born chapters were pretty cool since they mostly revolved around four or five characters only who were very distinguishable.

The Dorne chapters, though, I completely agree with you. Those were really tough to get through, especially the first time around. It dealt with like 18 different new characters, many of which had similar names. I had to check the index constantly and I don't think I'd be able to remember half their names even now. And then when they tried to pull off emotions with those guys it just didn't work. Like when Arianne was wondering if one of her friends (Garrett or something like that? I don't even remember) betrayed her. I was just like....come on, we JUST met Arianne and we can't even come close to keeping the names of her random friends who were only described in one paragraph and have had like 6 lines straight, why do I give a poo poo if it was Garrett or one of the other anonymous people who was the one who betrayed her?

The end (where Doran revealed that wasn't just some spineless old fool with gout who was bending over backwards for the Lannisters, and in fact he was crafty and has a drawn out plan to gently caress them over and get his revenge) was pretty cool though, but that was the only part of those chapters I liked.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It didn't help that the Dorne chapters kept jumping perspective as well.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The best response to the Dorne stuff I ever heard was that IT should have been the prologue/epilogue stuff.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Yeah, by the time Sam got to Oldtown I had entirely forgotten what the deal was with those dragon glass candles.

Martin really should have paced that a little better. Maybe have Aemon talk about the stuff in the middle of their voyage or something.

Having the Dorne chapters in the beginning and end would be a good way to bookend the story.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I just finished DwD. While I won't go into detail just yet since it's 2am and I'm on my phone, I thought it was the weakest of the 5, but still enjoyable, and I am still chomping at the ASoIaF bit.

I will also say that after Season 2 of GoT ends I have no idea what I am going to do with myself until Winds of Winter comes out Gurm dies and the story goes unfinished.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

I will also say that after Season 2 of GoT ends I have no idea what I am going to do with myself until Winds of Winter comes out Gurm dies and the story goes unfinished.

Well there's always the in development GoT RPG by the people who made the worlds most boring strategy game in the GoT universe.

Or the GoT browser based MMO that's coming out.

I don't know what I'm going to do either.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cirofren posted:

Well there's always the in development GoT RPG by the people who made the worlds most boring strategy game in the GoT universe.

Or the GoT browser based MMO that's coming out.

I don't know what I'm going to do either.

I got Genesis for free, and I still want a refund. I couldn't make it past the tutorial. So awful.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
There are also multiple pen and paper rpg's for the series. Those are for nerds though. :smuggo:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

The 2nd edition of the boardgame is out and it's fantastic while not overly complicated.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

TheLoser posted:

Yeah, by the time Sam got to Oldtown I had entirely forgotten what the deal was with those dragon glass candles.

Martin really should have paced that a little better. Maybe have Aemon talk about the stuff in the middle of their voyage or something.

Having the Dorne chapters in the beginning and end would be a good way to bookend the story.

I don't even remember those or what they were for except they were mentioned...once?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

pakman posted:

I don't even remember those or what they were for except they were mentioned...once?

There were more dragonglass weapons in Clash.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'd like to believe that the renewed interest in A Song of Ice and Fire provided by the TV series will help motivate Gurm to pick up the pace on the writing, but he'd be just the fucker to still dash my hopes.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking forward to the show outpacing the books.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cirofren posted:

I'm looking forward to the show outpacing the books.

I am and I'm not. I want to see where HBO would take the show, considering that a lot of great scenes that weren't in the books were some of the best in the show, but on the other hand I want a definitive conclusion from GRRM way more.

Lady Frenzy
Oct 25, 2011

Zulander won't know what hit him

Mavric posted:

That's the obvious arch that will probably happen. The problem is that she has been so insufferably ignorant the whole time that if she does all the sudden become smarter than Littlefinger it will be way out of character.

I don't think Sansa is in danger of surpassing Littlefinger, but I personally love the idea of her going from doe-eyed Disney princess to embracing the game and becoming just as manipulative as he is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've finished Feast, and about 1/5 of the way through Dance, and I really have no idea what the plan is for, like, half the characters, and to be honest, I don't know if I really care anymore. :sigh:

Bran: His story I hate the most. In a book series that has gone so far to NOT have stupid fantasy series cliches, he is smack dab in the middle of one. A mysterious stranger (undead, no less) leads him on a journey because he's a "chosen one," and he meets an ancient people that were long thought dead who I guess will tell him of his destiny? The last Bran chapter I read was right when he meets that rotting, undead, talking skeleton dude.

Arya: I never liked her adventures in Braavos. It seemed so out of character for her to just randomly decide to become a part of that weird death cult. I understand that at first it was to have a place to sleep and eat, but I don't understand why she felt she had to prove herself to that old master....and then in her last chapter in Feast she goes blind for disobeying him? WTF? (If she has any chapters in Dance, I haven't gotten to them yet, so no spoilers on her, please.

Sansa: Interesting, but mostly for Petyr. I did enjoy the last little bit where she deduces that the man Littlefinger has set her up with is the heir to the Vale, after Robin dies, and that he wants to help her also claim back her heir to Winterfell (for himself, too, but at least she could go home.)

Brienne: Was mostly boring, though I agree that a few parts were interesting, just to see how the average person was affected by the war (big surprise: they hate it.) But yeah, it had very little tension since we knew where Sansa and Arya were. And then maybe she died at the end of Feast? Again, haven't gotten to a chapter for her in Dance, and I doubt I will since from what I understand there's very little "shared" POV chapters between the two.

Jaime: I like where his is going, actually. A bit of a redemption, and that final "gently caress you" to Cersei at the end was magnificent.

Cersei: Nice to see that bitch get at least some commupance, if only for a short while...not sure if she'll stay locked up by the Church, or not, but at least someone got to show her that she can't do what she wants all the time.

Tyrion: It's interesting seeing some more stuff across the Narrow Sea, and the revelation he has about his traveling partner was pretty awesome. I'm less interested in his actual story at this point (never though I'd say I didn't care about the Imp!) but I really want to see what happens with Aegon.

Dany: Not caring for her poo poo so far...the last half of Feast and so far all of Dance has been her in Meereen, doing gently caress-all...also I really miss Jorah...:(

Jon: So far all his stuff in Dance is boring logistical poo poo...I honestly don't care that you don't have enough food to last a long winter, go loving slay some White Walkers already!

Greyjoys: Lumping them all together...we were shown a cool horn to control dragons, and they were going to go get those dragons from Dany! Yeah, three way fight for them between Her, Aegon, and the Greyjoys! Then they proceed to...do nothing about that and they go back to raiding and capturing coastal keeps and castles like they were two books ago...and now Theon, who we thought was dead, isn't but was, like, half brain-washed to be the new Reek?

Dornish Stuff: It was hard to even keep track of what was happening with almost every Dorne chapter having a different POV, but the last little reveal that the Gout Prince was/is scheming to get the Targaryens back on the throne was cool...too bad he doesn't know Aegon is alive...isn't Aegon technically Dornish, too? His mom was from Dorne, and the murder and her and her children (well...one of them, but they think both) is why they still hate the Lannisters and Baratheons and want to get the throne back for them/the Dragons? But I don't think we get any Dornish stuff in Dance, so nothing to look forward too about that.

Sam: A lot of nothing until that last chapter of his in Feast, and I'm guessing no resolution to any of that until the next book comes out.

Davos: : Surprise, surprise, no one in the north wants to help him or Stannis...and since he Feast we're told he dies "off screen", and I just finished a chapter that makes me think he has no way out of that fate, I'm sad.

So...yeah...I mean, I'll finish Dance, and I know that not every book can be as jam-packed crazy as Clash and Storm, but it's not just that I think some stuff is boring, it's that I really don't like the direction a lot of the stuff/characters are going in.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I felt like Dance generally got better about half-way through, so there may be hope for you yet.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dany: Not caring for her poo poo so far...the last half of Feast and so far all of Dance has been her in Meereen, doing gently caress-all...also I really miss Jorah...:(

Hoooo boy, have I got an upcoming chapter for you!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm currently going through A Dance With Dragons and I just finished the chapter where Roose Bolton gets ahold of Reek/Theon. My question is, was it supposed to be obvious that Reek was Theon? I feel kind of stupid for not making the connection, but I assumed he was dead just like how everyone else in the book's world was told. Just curious if there was any debate at all before A Dance With Dragons was released or if everyone just sort of knew. As far as I was concerned, I knew his mind was kind of hosed up due to the torture but I could only guess he used to be some squire from a somewhat upstanding house that used to ally with the north before this "reveal." (If it even was supposed to be a reveal at all.)

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Willsun posted:

I'm currently going through A Dance With Dragons and I just finished the chapter where Roose Bolton gets ahold of Reek/Theon. My question is, was it supposed to be obvious that Reek was Theon? I feel kind of stupid for not making the connection, but I assumed he was dead just like how everyone else in the book's world was told. Just curious if there was any debate at all before A Dance With Dragons was released or if everyone just sort of knew. As far as I was concerned, I knew his mind was kind of hosed up due to the torture but I could only guess he used to be some squire from a somewhat upstanding house that used to ally with the north before this "reveal." (If it even was supposed to be a reveal at all.)

I'm pretty sure the first Reek chapter points very obviously to it being him. I can't remember exactly but I remember understanding immediately that it was him.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 116 days!

Willsun posted:

I though that it might've been obvious because I had accidentally read that Theon was still around so I checked- yes, it's supposed to be obvious and is. even if you don't pick up on it from context and the fact that he knows the Walder Freys, Ramsay has someone look at him in the first chapter who is startled to see that it's "Stark's ward." That's about as explicit as you can get withou using his name. So yeah, way to read genius. No, I kid, to be honest, I somehow completely missed that it was Mance and the spearwives at Winterfell.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

No, I kid, to be honest, I somehow completely missed that it was Mance and the spearwives at Winterfell.

Wait, what?:psyboom:
It all makes so much sense! I can't believe I didn't catch that.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
He pretty much explicitly states this to Theon when he's helping him escape. Did you forget a chapter or something?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Reek stuff

Reek 1....black of hair
Reek 2....black of hair
Reek 3....seaweed hair
....OH MY GOD

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 21, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Nine of Eight posted:

He pretty much explicitly states this to Theon when he's helping him escape. Did you forget a chapter or something?
WHAT.
HOLY poo poo. I absolutely must have missed something because holy Christ, that makes so much sense.
How the gently caress did I miss this? :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

WHAT.
HOLY poo poo. I absolutely must have missed something because holy Christ, that makes so much sense.

Wait till you get to the pies.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

computer parts posted:

My favorite subtle plot event in the series. GRRM is truly a master of them.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
GRRM has written some over-the-top, shocking sex scenes, but I just read Asha's first DWD chapter and uh, that's gonna be tough to top. Asha has a very hosed up concept of sexuality: first teasing her long lost brother with flirtatious foreplay and now a violent rape fantasy/roleplay with Qarl She doesn't get alot of POV time but drat is she interesting. In terms of personality, she's the anti-Brienne

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

Funny you mention this, because I just found out about thus yesterday and had the same reaction.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Azure_Horizon posted:

My favorite subtle plot event in the series. GRRM is truly a master of them.

That entire scene before Bolton's like gently caress IT we're going outside! was really really good.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

GonSmithe posted:

WHAT.

Its ok. I also missed the pies, the bard and his wives, and I'm pretty sure there was something else. I did know about Reek though.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Willsun posted:

Most people knew he was alive due to GRRM letting out a couple hints about who the POV characters in the book were going to be. After internet sleuthing everyone seemed to have made a list about who the POV characters were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Willsun posted:

aDwD:
In the first Reek pov: The Walders, "Stark's Ward", remembering Arya and Ramsay and his Ironborn comments.

• Locked thread