Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

OmegaGoo posted:

Except you can't actually kill off characters in training mode. That would be a major headache of rules screw.

I'm pretty sure you can if you turn of regenerating health.

VV get owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
e;fb

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yeah but then there's no KO announcement, and certainly no PERFECT announcement. Or is there? Regardless, there would be no time outs.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Then clearly I haven't played this game enough. Huh.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

kaujot posted:

Yeah but then there's no KO announcement, and certainly no PERFECT announcement. Or is there? Regardless, there would be no time outs.

Pretty sure you can set the time to 99 seconds as well, I think you do it when you select your stage? I could be wrong though.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure you can set the time to 99 seconds as well, I think you do it when you select your stage? I could be wrong though.

In training mode, really? That's...a weird feature if it's in there. I haven't noticed.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Hey folks. I'm trying to level up my Morrigan and get some slightly snazzier combos into my memory with her. I found these notations on SRK and they seem pretty good but honestly, practicing them makes my wrist and arm hurt like mad, and I feel like I most be doing something wrong. Does anyone else have any good/easier extended Morrigan melee combos, and if so, does anyone have any tips on general timing/execution related matters? All the flying and unflying is killing me right now.

quote:

CORNER
s.LMH, shadow blade L, flying, Soul fist H, unfly, land, Soul fist M, flying, soul fist H, unfly, land, jump, j.MMH, Soul Fist L, flying, dash down, j.H, soul Fist L, unfly, land, s.S, superjump, j.H, soul fist H, fly, j.S

MIDSCREEN
c.H, s.S, superjump, j.H, soul fist L, fly, dash down, j.H, soul fist L, unfly, land, j.M, j.M, j.H, soul fist L, dash down, j.H, soul fist L, land, walk forward, s.S, superjump, j.H, shadow blade M, fly, j.S

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Some fun I've had with morrigan on point is using her doubling super with a helping of wesker/ doom missiles. Can steal 1.2 bars with it and build another bar or so just dorking around. Basically ground combos into launcher + doom missiles, knock the opponent down as fast as possible that they will still get popped up by missiles. Double super on land, qcf s, s, air combo, land wesker qcf s. I think you can cancel into more missiles for a fair bit of damage.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

kaujot posted:

In training mode, really? That's...a weird feature if it's in there. I haven't noticed.

There's no way to play vs. the CPU outside of Arcade mode other than Training Mode, so they made sure that you can set up the equivalent of real matches in training mode for that, IIRC.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

practicing them makes my wrist and arm hurt like mad, and I feel like I most be doing something wrong.

Are you playing on a stick or a pad? In both instances, you want to limit unnecessary movement. So if you are playing on a stick, you want to move the stick around chiefly with your fingers rather than with big wrist/arm motions...you know, like typing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Wally P posted:

Are you playing on a stick or a pad? In both instances, you want to limit unnecessary movement. So if you are playing on a stick, you want to move the stick around chiefly with your fingers rather than with big wrist/arm motions...you know, like typing.

On a stick with an eight way gate. I'm trying really hard to do that but being that UMVC3 is the first fighting game I've ever played for more than a few minutes my discipline is lacking.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Playing online isn't very fun :( I just don't have good enough setups, execution or combos to be able to turn my rare hit confirm into a winning game. I think I'm gonna take a break from this game for a while.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Playing online isn't very fun :( I just don't have good enough setups, execution or combos to be able to turn my rare hit confirm into a winning game. I think I'm gonna take a break from this game for a while.

Dorkasaurus Rex, if you need someone to mess around with and trying to help you with your game, let me know!

If you have a Xbox 360 I can help you also with different stuff also. My GT is Zerms if you remember me.

If you can get on tonight I can play with you tonight to help you out and everything. I know some a good amount of stuff with a good amount of characters so I can help with matchups and I know morg a little bit to try to help you out.

If you up at 11pm EST tonight I will be on, ok?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. I'm trying to level up my Morrigan and get some slightly snazzier combos into my memory with her. I found these notations on SRK and they seem pretty good but honestly, practicing them makes my wrist and arm hurt like mad, and I feel like I most be doing something wrong. Does anyone else have any good/easier extended Morrigan melee combos, and if so, does anyone have any tips on general timing/execution related matters? All the flying and unflying is killing me right now.

You just have to keep at it. If you're practicing so hard that your wrists hurt then you likely have a few problems.

1) You may be moving your wrists too much.
2) You're trying over and over to bang out the combo.
3) You're not really thinking about what you're doing.

The answer to all of these problems is to slow down, make deliberate movements, and focus on what you're doing. The one thing you DO NOT want to do is to sit there and bang out the combo incorrectly over and over. All you'll get out of that is frustration and sore wrists. After you mess up pause for a moment and think about what you might be doing wrong. Check the input display to see if there's an error or a sloppy input you need to work on. Maybe take a moment to try a different combo with your character, one of their hitconfirms, a combo you know but off of a different opener, or a combo for one of your other characters. Variation will help keep you from getting frustrated.

For the specific combo you're trying to do try focusing on doing small parts of the combo that you find tricky. I've been learning the Iron Man Krispy Kreme combo, which has this fairly difficult opener:
c.M s.H xx fly j.M j.M j.H xx unfly j.H

There are two tricky bits there. The first is the link between fly and the first j.M. The second is the timing on j.H xx unfly j.H. I had the most trouble with j.M j.M j.H xx unfly j.H so to work on it I practiced against Sentinel. Sentinel is so tall that the part of the combo after the fly will work on him when he's standing. Isolating that piece of the combo let me focus on doing my inputs correctly. It was way easier to learn that combo piece in isolation. Now, after working it into my practice off and on for a week or two, I can do it near 100% in training mode. The rest of the combo isn't too hard so once I get it down I'll be good to go.

For this Morrigan combo you posted:
c.H, s.S, superjump, j.H, soul fist L, fly, dash down, j.H, soul fist L, unfly, land, j.M, j.M, j.H, soul fist L, dash down, j.H, soul fist L, land, walk forward, s.S, superjump, j.H, shadow blade M, fly, j.S

Let's take up to the first time Morrigan lands:
c.H, s.S, superjump, j.H, soul fist L, fly, dash down, j.H, soul fist L, unfly, land

There's a few places I'd expect a new player to have trouble. The first is the fly canceled soul fist L. After that, I'd expect tacking on a dash down would throw them for a loop again. Then j.H soul fist xx unfly would probably present the same problem as j.H soul fist xx fly.

So instead of worrying about the whole combo worry about connecting j.H soul fist L xx fly. Then, only after you can do that reliably, tack on the dash down j.H. Don't even think about doing the dash down before you can reliably fly cancel the first soul fist. The key is to really think about what you're doing.

If you're having problems don't let yourself get frustrated. Go do some other combos for a while like I suggested earlier. Maybe try mission mode. Online matches can help break up practice too but it sounds like those would further frustrate you. The thing about matches is that unless you've practiced enough to be able to actually execute the stuff you're trying to do you're not going to get a lot out of the match.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Stupid question: I want to get an arcade pad for this game. What would people recommend?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
How are you supposed to play Doctor Strange, outside of making combo videos? I just seem to get run down if I do anything besides superjump into daggers.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

OmegaGoo posted:

Stupid question: I want to get an arcade pad for this game. What would people recommend?

If you mean a stick

Good stick:
Quanba Q4 *Duel modded
Q3 or TE *One console only

Cheap stick:
Hori EX2
Madcatz SE *If you think you might upgrade

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.

darealkooky posted:

How are you supposed to play Doctor Strange, outside of making combo videos? I just seem to get run down if I do anything besides superjump into daggers.

Have a decent "get off me" assist (I use Frank). Use that and flight to get some space until you can set up a decent zoning game with Eye and Daggers, then go for teleport mix-ups as your main offense. Throw out the daggers and then teleport behind right before it hits. Strange's normals are garbage, though, and easy to punish on block (his standing S is especially horrendous), so it's a good idea to call an approperiate assist right before the end of a blockstring so you can get out of there safely. His ground movement sucks, so I just teleport everywhere, or activate flight if you just need to breathe for a second. Also, throw out a spell of Vishanti whenever your opponent does something stupid, and don't forget your projectile-counter super.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Can you get a decent combo off L mystic sword (are the projectile versions of this move any good btw), because its actually very safe and has range, making it better then my normals.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I play around with Strange a bit. Mystic Sword L can make your blockstrings safe and buy a little space. I usually throw out Mystic Sword M. instead of Bolts of Balthak to control horizontal space. I like to try and set up Grace of Hogarth all around the arena so when you throw out Flames it covers a lot of space and gives you cover for a while, but throwing them out one after another isn't bad either. Use impact palm on the ground early in your strings to set up a couple Grace of Hogarths before doing launcher. Hit teleport is safe and the startup is quick so abuse it. Gauge your opponents reaction to a few teleports before you start committing to whipping out melee moves. Superjump daggers isn't great if your opponent knows how to deal with it, if they keep covering space and moving toward you the daggers will usually miss and then they're in your face. Hiding in the Eye of Aggamatto and chucking projectiles is great. You can't really zone SUPER effectively without a second zoning based assist to really complicate things like Doom Beam or Hidden Missiles. I like to run Strange on second slot so he has an assist backup and a bunch of meter to burn on Spell of Vishanti. I've won a couple of tournament matches just because my opponent called an assist and I went Spell if Vishanti, XFACTOR, Spell of Vishanti

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

darealkooky posted:

I don't play Dr Strange but from experience playing against him unless you're throwing out discs and Eye of Amagatto then teleporting like crazy you're doing it wrong. Also, Dr Strange does not walk or dash ever. He teleports and flies.

Remember to keep a meter on deck for the projectile counter because while you're setting up discs or eye of amagatto you're hugely vulnerable to projectile supers.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Finally, a hilarious H&H video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtF_w3Mz5_k

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dren posted:

That Sentinel drones combo was really funny. Pro click right here.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

Dren posted:

Man, that air combo at the end was insane. I wonder how long that took to figure out and successfully do?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dren posted:

A rare glimpse of what H&H could have been had it not descended into a Luke Cage wankfest

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
What did he need to do to make that drone combo possible?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dren posted:

Getting Mike Z MvC2 video vibes from this.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Oh Kusoru :allears:

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Cat Machine posted:

what are the axis on this thing, right good point left good anchor top good assist bottom bad? I haven't seen one of these in awhile

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Cat Machine posted:

Strange and Vergil on the same tier ._.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

drugs and paint posted:

what are the axis on this thing, right good point left good anchor top good assist bottom bad? I haven't seen one of these in awhile

The site that made the image has an option for an English chart. The vertical axis goes between "Top Tier" and "Low Tier" while the horizontal goes from "Specialized (Has Faults)" to "Versatile (Well-Rounded").

Nate405 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 9, 2012

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Joe Frank and Rocket Raccoon all in the bottom-left ahaha

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Glass Eater posted:

Joe Frank and Rocket Raccoon all in the bottom-left ahaha

Yes, that's the joke.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
nvm

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't actually identify Frank nor did I realize he was missing from the main portrait area. I am unsure what this says.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I couldn't actually identify Frank nor did I realize he was missing from the main portrait area. I am unsure what this says.

Last I checked, this Kusoru fella used that team of Frank/Raccoon/Joe to beat F. Champ on that really awesome match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjsJOQfO_X4&feature=related

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
More like he used that team to beat everyone at Final Round.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

drugs and paint posted:

Weak assist < - > Strong assist

Strong character
^
|
v
Weak character

Kuai
May 25, 2004
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35893935&postcount=3769

I hope this is real just because I want to see the massive bitching.

Prob not tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Why exactly do people dislike that so much? If it's true, shouldn't people be happy that the games they like are getting more content and support? I know the fighting game scene is used to playing the same game for a decade straight and don't like their games to be changed, but is there something else I'm missing here?

• Locked thread