Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Dolash posted:

seeing organic life as a garden to tend is safer.

See, they dropped the ball with the ending majorly. If the Reapers had just come right out and said this, it would have been a lot better and more internally consistent with previous dialogue with them. Less 'we're doing this for your own good' and more 'you're a resource, we're farming you'. Harbinger and Sovereign's bullshit would still make sense in that context. You don't explain to a flower garden why you're pruning it, you just do it. You don't have a debate with your kennel of show dogs over the ethics of selectively breeding them and culling negative traits, you just do it.

This, naturally, leads to the Paragon/Renegade choices of telling them to gently caress off and rallying the galaxy to end them (maybe using the Crucible as a weapon or a self destruct code) or seeing their point and joining them by merging, respectively.

poo poo, they could have used the same cinematics. They just needed to rewrite the dialogue and replace the stupid ghost kid with a yellow ball with Harbinger's voice.

I feel like they wrote the script in too many directions, painted themselves into corners, and couldn't satisfyingly resolve the main plot, Cerberus subplot, AI subplot, and the dropped Eezo/dark energy subplot all at once.

We are not going to get a "we hosed up, so we totally rewrote the game from the conduit on" DLC, so the best we can hope for is some side missions or an epilogue that shows what happens after Shepard wakes up at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I finally found a scene in the game where I actually got emotionally involved. No, it wasn't the Legion death bits because he felt oddly out of character even near the end. However, it was slightly earlier when Tali lands on Rannoch and gets handed that rock. Silly I know, but I did smile a bit at that. Probably at least partially to do with the callback music and how well the scene was posed. I didn't however care one bit when Thessia was hit because at that point you've already seen about , by my calculation, 5000 worlds or something as destroyed warzones.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I apologize if this has already been asked/answered but is there any way to edit galactic readiness to 100%? I just realized in spite of getting something like 6900+ war assets the readiness basically drops me down to 3400 so I can't get the best ending even though I thought I did.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Legion feels out of character because he has a different writer. Same with EDI.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Just go to options and change the difficulty.

No need for that, I am indeed playing on normal, it seems. I think the normal difficulty is definitely tougher than in the previous game, although I did pass the "hard battle" that I talked about on the first try after writing the post by simply taking it easy, so maybe I was just frustrated.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I found a new bug! Garrus turns invisible during his first conversation with Jacob during the mission to evacuate the scientists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered but is there any way to edit galactic readiness to 100%? I just realized in spite of getting something like 6900+ war assets the readiness basically drops me down to 3400 so I can't get the best ending even though I thought I did.

GR is tied to multiplayer only. Your score is multiplied between .5 and 1 depending on your readiness. Each game in multiplayer gives you ~3-5 points and it decays by about 1 point a day you don't play. If you don't play multiplayer your EMS is going to always be halved.

Yes, this is staggeringly stupid.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

Just play multiplayer for an hour or so and you'll be fine.

Gibbed posted this earlier if you wanna try editing stuff. http://svn.gib.me/builds/masseffect3/

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How would you even write any after-the-fact DLC?

They kept the endings pretty general, let's say that for some odd reason they all end with the relays broken (or at least shut down in the short term) so that the immediate aftermath is about everyone being stranded. Then there's the fact that Shepard's dead like six out of seven times and the last time they're pretty wrecked up, the huge mix of races around Earth who may or may not be there, Earth either being blown up or devastated...

There's really no way around it, they'd have to make it about someone other than Shepard, which I'm not sure they're willing to do (not to mention the difficulty of it). I'd be dead impressed by an epilogue DLC where you play as one of your surviving companions and lead the rest/the Normandy crew to safety, though, mostly focusing on the consequences and post-war reminisces.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've definitely felt the difficulty increase on normal mode. The enemies are way more fun this time around, tossing more grenades, taking more cover, love the mixing up of shielded/and LITERALLY CARRYING A loving SHIELD stuff going on.

Also:

I tried the MP for a bit and didn't like it at all, how long does it take to get to 100% galactic readiness?

Has anyone loaded CheatEngine to see if you can just change it to 100% brute force?

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Dolash posted:

How would you even write any after-the-fact DLC?

They kept the endings pretty general, let's say that for some odd reason they all end with the relays broken (or at least shut down in the short term) so that the immediate aftermath is about everyone being stranded. Then there's the fact that Shepard's dead like six out of seven times and the last time they're pretty wrecked up, the huge mix of races around Earth who may or may not be there, Earth either being blown up or devastated...

There's really no way around it, they'd have to make it about someone other than Shepard, which I'm not sure they're willing to do (not to mention the difficulty of it). I'd be dead impressed by an epilogue DLC where you play as one of your surviving companions and lead the rest/the Normandy crew to safety, though, mostly focusing on the consequences and post-war reminisces.

Probably the way Bethesda did with Fallout 3 after the massive fan backlash - retcon the ending entirely out with your first DLC.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Just play multiplayer for an hour or so and you'll be fine.

Gibbed posted this earlier if you wanna try editing stuff. http://svn.gib.me/builds/masseffect3/

I get an unhandled exception error when I press the open button.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Even if we accept the (retarded) argument that the Reapers believe murdering trillions of people is the best solution to the supposedly inevitable annihilation of all life in the universe through rogue AI (I can't believe there is anyone arguing that this makes sense) - it's wildly inconsistent with their malicious, demeaning, predatory attitude. I don't viciously taunt, demean and torture a dog before I have to put it down, I soothe it and try to minimise any fear or suffering it has to endure.

It's a dumb story, and anyone who thinks it makes sense is dumb too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tehllama posted:

Probably the way Bethesda did with Fallout 3 after the massive fan backlash - retcon the ending entirely out with your first DLC.

I would honestly pay money if they released a DLC that was Shepard is given the option to RIGHT HOOK the Catalyst.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I might be blind, but where is the Downloadable Content tab that Bioware is telling me to go to to buy From Ashes? It's not on the main menu or under Extras.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, so I haven't finished the game yet, but I've been wildly spoiled a hundred times by now, so can I ask: Do the reapers, after harvesting, seed life on the viable planets again or just let it re-occur "naturally"? Because it'd seem 50,000 years isn't nearly long enough a time. Also: If they seed, maybe that AI is to prevent an even more malicious AI from destroying all organics and then making the planets unviable for life ever again to ensure only an AI galaxy forever? I'onno.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I think this interview that Kill Screen did with the writer of ME3 is really interesting, especially since it seems like he had no experience writing anything before this game.

http://killscreendaily.com/headline...-downton-abbey/

Apologies if this has been posted already, this thread is big.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Okay, so I haven't finished the game yet, but I've been wildly spoiled a hundred times by now, so can I ask: Do the reapers, after harvesting, seed life on the viable planets again or just let it re-occur "naturally"? Because it'd seem 50,000 years isn't nearly long enough a time. Also: If they seed, maybe that AI is to prevent an even more malicious AI from destroying all organics and then making the planets unviable for life ever again to ensure only an AI galaxy forever? I'onno.

They only take civilizations that are too advanced, they don't create new ones. The Yang are specifically mentioned as one who might be left behind after the cull.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ImpAtom posted:

GR is tied to multiplayer only. Your score is multiplied between .5 and 1 depending on your readiness. Each game in multiplayer gives you ~3-5 points and it decays by about 1 point a day you don't play. If you don't play multiplayer your EMS is going to always be halved.

Yes, this is staggeringly stupid.

I had no loving idea you had to play the multiplayer in order to have a better SINGLE player game. :psyduck:

Who the gently caress thought this bullshit up?

Blue Kazoo
Feb 24, 2006
So I recently acquired an Xbox 360. I previously played ME1 and ME2 on PC, but my computer is at the bottom end of the spec range. I'm leaning towards getting the 360 version, but will not having an old ME2 save to continue from make my gaming experience suck? I'd rather have a good time than perfect graphics.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They only take civilizations that are too advanced, they don't create new ones. The Yang are specifically mentioned as one who might be left behind after the cull.
Yeah, to further the point, Javik also says that the Protheans were still around when the asari and turians were a primitive civilization (maybe even humans and quarians, can't remember), and he hates that all of these primitive species are in charge now. So, it's not like things have to re-evolve every time.

ded posted:

I had no loving idea you had to play the multiplayer in order to have a better SINGLE player game. :psyduck:

Technically, you don't have to, but it's almost impossible otherwise.

Blue Kazoo posted:

So I recently acquired an Xbox 360. I previously played ME1 and ME2 on PC, but my computer is at the bottom end of the spec range. I'm leaning towards getting the 360 version, but will not having an old ME2 save to continue from make my gaming experience suck? I'd rather have a good time than perfect graphics.
It is much, much better to import a save. Or you can use gibbed's save file editor that's been posted a hundred times in this thread (might even be in the OP).

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 9, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blue Kazoo posted:

You will miss a lot of content if you don't transfer saves, and a lot of things are simply impossible without importing.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It was also mentioned by the Catalyst that humans were left alone the last time the Reapers destroyed everything.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

evilmiera posted:

I didn't however care one bit when Thessia was hit because at that point you've already seen about , by my calculation, 5000 worlds or something as destroyed warzones.

Mid-game-spoiler:
I found the whole beating up themselves Liara and Shepard did over Thessua rather odd. Them not getting the plans for the catalys because of plot-stupidity in regards to Anime-assassin-poo poo Kai Leng didn't change the fate of Thessia. The catalyst would have taken weeks to build, so the same millions would have died anyway. The handful of soldiers defending the outposts died in vain, but that's war. Sure, I understand Liara being sad to see her homeworld burn like Palavan or Earth, but they make it sound as if their failure to stop supersayan Leng was responsible for the dead.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
I updated the flowchart with terrible ms paint skills.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Blue Kazoo posted:

How old is your computer? Mine is getting pretty old at this point and ME3 runs gorgeously. I have a 2.7GHZ quadcore and a Radeon 4850 and 4 gigs of SD2 ram.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fabulous Knight posted:

So I need you guys to varify something for me: this game had a difficulty selection screen at the start, right? Why am I asking such a stupid question? I'm playing as an ME2 imported Shepard whose run was on Hardcore in the previous game. I'm getting my rear end handed to me at certain points here, the Grissom Academy being the latest example (and no Reapers or anything, just the standard Cerberus dudes spawning from every conceivable direction with shields on pretty much everyone). The difficulty level of the previous game's save doesn't carry on to this one, does it? Because I don't think I'm rusty or anything, I just completed Horizon on Insanity in ME2 a week ago, but some of the battles in ME3 so far bring similar level of immense joy upon winning them. I definitely intended on playing on Normal at first, and do believe I am playing on normal right now, but if this is the normal difficulty that players new to the series are thrown into too then holy poo poo.

Or maybe I'm just getting reckless and impatient after a few deaths, that could be it too.

Grissom is the hardest fight in the series, considering the scale for where you're at in the game's mechanics at that time. Nothing really tells you about being hit from multiple levels in cover, etc. before then, so being tossed in a room where everyone is everywhere, when you've mostly been attacked from one side is extremely hard, even on normal with most classes. Going back to it, it's not hard at all, but on a first playthrough, that's what teaches you how to play the rest of the game, really.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I found a new bug! Garrus turns invisible during his first conversation with Jacob during the mission to evacuate the scientists.

This happens with Tali too.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
My big question about the ending/Reaper motivations:

Why was this chosen over the previous dark energy plotline? I know people though the dark energy thing was a bit lame and cliched, but what we got was so much worse.

Dark Energy just made so much more sense in relation to Reaper motivations. It wasn't particularly unique or interesting but it worked. I could see then replacing it with a better plot. What they did wasn't better though. They just took the Geth/Quarian plot and applied it to everything.

Why would you completely change the motivations of the major Antagonists in the last part of the trilogy to something so weak? And then not explain it except for about 10 lines of dialogue. That's the absolute worst plot decision.

At least Dark Energy had a history throughout the games and was something the made sense on a large scale. It was a problem so large that it made sense that the Reapers couldn't solve it and had to resort to periodic genocide.

The Singularity though? Shepherd solved it twice in 3 before the ending for gently caress's sake. How is that a problem beyond comprehension that the Reapers have been struggling with for 50 million years or more? Even the Protheans solved it in their cycle but just killing all AI's and not allowing them to exist.

The Catalyst's excuse that he couldn't try other solutions was equally weak. 'I only have enough power now because you built the crucible.'. Uh, why didn't you just build your own?

:psyboom:

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Darko posted:

Grissom is the hardest fight in the series, considering the scale for where you're at in the game's mechanics at that time. Nothing really tells you about being hit from multiple levels in cover, etc. before then, so being tossed in a room where everyone is everywhere, when you've mostly been attacked from one side is extremely hard, even on normal with most classes. Going back to it, it's not hard at all, but on a first playthrough, that's what teaches you how to play the rest of the game, really.

Going through my first playthrough on hardcore, and I actually think it's easier for the most part than ME2. But not because it's weaker or anything, I just thing that the level and enemy design is more inspired, and there's less bullshit like stripping away three levels of shielding before you can actually effectively use your fun powers. Also, combat just seems more versatile. I feel more mobile, and weight management for cooldown is a nifty and inspired mechanic.

It actually has me looking forward to playing again on Insanity.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

Darko posted:

I did that level on insanity with a vanguard with edi and javik as my squad because I felt bad about never using either of them.

I died about 50~ times before I beat it. Mostly to getting pinned between a turret and a grenade or just getting my head exploded the moment I tried to move from cover. So many turrets.

First run was on insanity. :shepface:

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Crows Turn Off posted:

ded posted:

Is it? I played 3 rounds of MP (the fourth one bugged out), got up to 58% or whatever and could choose from 3 endings.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
@Lawlicaust:

Endgame:the Dark Energy had probably the issue that the tech is the reason that Dark Energy builds up, so the savest thing would be bombing every civilization back before they develop FTL, not after. Also, Reapertech would be the major generator of DE, so the whole thing is seriously illogical, even if you assume the DE somehow dissipates in the 50,000 years instead of building up and up.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

NOBEARD posted:

quote:

Is it? I played 3 rounds of MP (the fourth one bugged out), got up to 58% or whatever and could choose from 3 endings.

You can choose from 3 endings with 50% readiness and about 6900 in War Assets the problem is you need at least 4000 readiness score to modify the Destroy everything ending so that Shepard comes out alive.

By the way I think the thread title really should've been this: The final solution to the Synthetic problem.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 9, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Decius posted:

@Lawlicaust:

Endgame:the Dark Energy had probably the issue that the tech is the reason that Dark Energy builds up, so the savest thing would be bombing every civilization back before they develop FTL, not after. Also, Reapertech would be the major generator of DE, so the whole thing is seriously illogical, even if you assume the DE somehow dissipates in the 50,000 years instead of building up and up.

A solution to Dark Energy being a problem would be destroying the Mass Relays and the Citadel, to curb its galaxy-wide use, instead of goading the galactic civilizations to use and rely on them.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Quick question guys, I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 on the PC, but have no access to any of the saves or games anymore. I got Mass Effect 3 for the console and I'd like to use a save from the masseffectsaves site, I downloaded it and converted it to a xbsav file with gibbed's editor. I looked up what to do next, and apparently modio is what you need to use, however, I can't get it to recognise the .xbsav file. What do I need to do?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Decius posted:

@Lawlicaust:

Even with that, it has less plot holes. It's a real problem with a logical reason for extinction. I could see how the Reapers would arrive at the conclusion that periodic genocide and limiting advanced civilizations was the answer.

The new plot though... It is so contradictory and nonsensical.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Blue Kazoo posted:

http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Yay, my crappy Glengarry Glen Ross photoshop! Nice touch replacing "Krogan" with "Brute/Banshee".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Given that you don't nova after every charge unless you really want to die or are playing on normal or something stupid like that, we need a much more complex flow chart.

Also you left something out

Vanguard posted:

This is my shotgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My shotgun is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My shotgun, without me, is useless. Without my shotgun, I am still pretty badass. I must fire my shotgun into people's faces. I must shoot faster than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... shoot him in the face.

My shotgun and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... in the face

My shotgun is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my shotgun clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... shoot people in the face

Before God, I swear this creed. My shotgun and myself are the defenders of my party'. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is the Alliance's and there is no enemy, but peace!

• Locked thread