Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

!amicable posted:

I don't think that's fair to the game to be honest. Half the fun of WMH is having a fat greasy feat drop right when you think you're ready to go for the kill, or whatever.

It's also one of the more unique mechanics.

(also the lists you dudes used were sort of tough from the perspective of a newer player since they involve lots of fiddly rules- but whatever, trial by fire.)

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I know the Cygnar player tends to save his one-use tricks (we have played a lot of D&D) and figured use of feats would do me a lot more good than him. This was only like his fourth MkII game, and his first in almost a year. We'll put them back in next time, and hopefully have enough models that it won't necessarily be such a weird matchup.

THAT SAID, neither of us had any idea what was going on with my list. I normally use pKrueger and some lights for tutorials, but didn't feel like mixing focus and fury after so long from the game, and was eager to try out my new Khador for the first time.

Only tangentially related: when I'm going against new players, I like to pick things I'm unfamiliar with or that match up poorly against my opponent, then play my hardest. I'm new enough that this has tended to work out quite evenly. I also try to set it up so that the game zero is sub-battlebox: caster and a jack or two. Then for game one, add in the single dealie that made the player attracted to the game in the first place. Does anyone have any other tutorial tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Paper Kaiju posted:

IR SMART:

How has your year of Ret been going so far? Turned up any new good strategies/tactics?

It'll be a full year in July; I'd say yes on tactics and strategies but I think things will change with the Vyre jacks. Mainly the Banshee really, though Sphinx with Battlemages may prove bananas too. Everyone's major complaint about them is how Magic Attack 6 Misses so often. Well Magic Attack 8 won't be. Hypnos with Ossyan is going to make some bitches cry. The only one I don't like is the Deamon and not because it's bad. It's just that Retribution has tons of ways to clear Infantry already; and that's the major selling point of the Deamon.

But seriously Wailing bubble and that Knockdown gun are hilariously good.

Also I believe the Vyre jacks will make a good argument for the Scyir making a come back. Cmd 10 Commander ( Last 2 games I played the MHSF failed their command checks for terror on a 10 3 different time :( ); and Reroll are the big things. Co-ordinated strike means you can safely be behind your Dawnguard then fly on out when needed.

Another thing is that I've been playing mainly 35pt games; but everyone has finally gotten around to wanting to play 50pts so that should help a lot.

Some Dude on the Internet posted:

I know someone in Japan who got the new nq, all this info is 100% accurate

The four hordes gargantuans are the mammoth for skorne, mountain king for trolls, world wrath for circle and archangel for legion

Collosals are war jacks but have most of there rules shared with be's

They can not be disrupted, gain stealth, incorp or be taken control of or out of turn movements.

Tgats all I'm giving, besides pitchers new theme. Buy the nq

Source Link: http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?99809-No-quarter-spoilers&p=1336145&viewfull=1#post1336145

Well now that sure does make things interesting. If it shares most of the rules of the BE's then that means it probably can't be places. That rules out the Khador players salivating at Karchev and Conquest. No Out of Turn Movement means no Enliven though :(. Witch Hound does get kind of funny with something that big though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 9, 2012

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I am so sad that I'm currently too poor to buy the Vyre jacks. I want to get two kits, one for Hypnos, and one for a multi-jack.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

mammoth for skorne

I was really hoping for something more Tyrannosaur-ish. Still, assuming that by 'mammoth', they mean a hulked-up Titan, it should still be awesome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well now that sure does make things interesting. If it shares most of the rules of the BE's then that means it probably can't be places. That rules out the Khador players salivating at Karchev and Conquest. No Out of Turn Movement means no Enliven though :(. Witch Hound does get kind of funny with something that big though.

Enliven on a Colossal would be loving horse poo poo.

Demon Hunter
Jul 18, 2005

S.J. posted:

Enliven on a Colossal would be loving amazing.

Just helping you out there. :allears:

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
I just bought the Trollblood box and the book.

What now?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Adrian Finol posted:

I just bought the Trollblood box and the book.

What now?

Full unit of Fennblades + UA, Kriel Stone + UA, another heavy of your choice (I'd recommend the Bomber), and any second caster that suits your fancy.

But before you do any of that, play some games with the battlegroup box and get the basics of the game down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea since before we were all PPvsGW, can I just say NQ is the only gaming magazine I get that I never regret? Free rules, neat modeling stuff, and even though it has poo poo like 'here's how you take an army from battle box to 100 points!' it never feels like a giant ad like White Dwarf did.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I know the Cygnar player tends to save his one-use tricks
Break him of that habit. This game is about going for stupid over the top janky poo poo and shoving your opponent's neck out his poochute.

Also, if people want Vassal games, hit me up on PMs, I am awful and you can feel good about beating me.

Teleporting woldwrath around would be disgusting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

!amicable posted:

Teleporting woldwrath around would be disgusting.

Double teleporting woldwrath :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

S.J. posted:

Double teleporting woldwrath :v:

I'm just imagining a BAMF that sounds like god farting

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

It does mean Choir Buffs though! :catholic::hf::fap:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I play Menoth and Circle. Any advice you give Finol, just tell me how to counter.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Paper Kaiju posted:

:words: about Gnarls League.

Sounds like a great time! There was no one in really in contention for first with me at the end. I had more games played and more wins than anyone else. I've never played in a league before but holy poo poo the medal they gave looks amazing!

Also: I just purchased $140 worth of Ret(still love my Khador). Had no idea they won Gnarls worldwide, but that makes me pretty happy.

!amicable posted:

Break him of that habit. This game is about going for stupid over the top janky poo poo and shoving your opponent's neck out his poochute.

This. This. A thousand times this. I play literally every turn of the game seeing if I can kill the enemy caster and/or do ridiculous poo poo.

My favorite moment thus far has to be a buddy and I playing King of the Hill. We agreed to use a bridge as our 'hill' for the game, but with the added fun of having it going over a bottomless pit. Well genius that I am I park my spriggan right on top of the hill. He rolls up some arcane tempest gunmages and begins throwing thunderbolts at my spriggan to knock it into the pit! I get lucky and he rolls not a single crit, but still, it was a pretty white-knuckle moment for me.

P.S. Spriggan charged for a kill on eHaley next turn.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
*reads about how it looks like they are going to unveil the Trollblood colossal. Looks at wallet* Mother fucker! Wish I didn't get my few cheapo Menoths!

On another note, do we have any press gangers here? My area is 20 miles from the nearest one and I was wondering how hard is it to be one.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Just played my first game against a serious Cryx player. Oh god, I don't even loving know how to get around that. He used Scaverous and did some BS with exarnate and bile thralls and telekinesis to pop a bile thrall in the middle of my WG and take everything out. That was pretty much game, at that point.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012
Scaverous' main weakness is hes got so much potential to spend that Focus every turn that he can leave himself a little too open to return fire. His only protection if he's going to be spending focus is to sit at range so your first priority is to nuke his arc nodes so that he either sits back and doesn't support his army or comes forward to you. Another priority after that is the Withershadow so that he isn't getting an upkeep for free and puppet strings.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The excarnate trick is brutal, but it has so many drat variables and if one thing doesn't go off perfectly it'll fail and likely leave you out high and dry. One tough roll on your WG would have stopped it dead.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Tommmmm posted:

Scaverous' main weakness is hes got so much potential to spend that Focus every turn that he can leave himself a little too open to return fire. His only protection if he's going to be spending focus is to sit at range so your first priority is to nuke his arc nodes so that he either sits back and doesn't support his army or comes forward to you. Another priority after that is the Withershadow so that he isn't getting an upkeep for free and puppet strings.

He used the terrain intelligently to his favor and brought the chicken jack up with a run to arc through. I recognized in hindsight that if I'd remembered to counter-charge with my war dog, I might have survived. His other chicken jack was far on the flank and might not have had range. Not sure what Scav's control range is, though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Citizen Z posted:

He used the terrain intelligently to his favor and brought the chicken jack up with a run to arc through. I recognized in hindsight that if I'd remembered to counter-charge with my war dog, I might have survived. His other chicken jack was far on the flank and might not have had range. Not sure what Scav's control range is, though.

14", he's focus 7.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PV: What was the Gaspy list you posted earlier? I can't seem to find it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

PV: What was the Gaspy list you posted earlier? I can't seem to find it.

This one?

PaintVagrant posted:

Im going to run this tonight, Ill let you know how it goes. Couldnt quite squeeze in ragman at 35:

Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
* Slayer (6pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Cephalyx Overlords (4pts)
General Gerlak Slaughterborn (3pts)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

S.J. posted:

This one?

No, it had the Worm I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: found it! It was in the oath thread.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts) OATHED
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts) OATHED
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts) OATHED
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 11, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Played against that list. It was pretty legit. I won on bullshit scenario but he won the moral victory.

Also Jarl loving owns, especially a badass PV painted one. Kriel Warrior deathstar up in your face 16" on turn one? Hell loving yes. Definitely want some Fennblades and Long Riders now too. :allears:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Sold my Ret, and about to start a magical journey with Menoth. Cannot wait for plastic Errants.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Feeple posted:

Sold my Ret, and about to start a magical journey with Menoth. Cannot wait for plastic Errants.

Welcome to the fold brother. :catholic:

Although I'm rocking Cyrx right now and will be until L&L is done. :v:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Took 3rd (surprised the hell out of me, I thought my breakers were terrible) and split best painted at card kingdom's 35 point tournament today, going 3-1. Ran the same Saeryn list I ran at the tournament last week, along with a T3 eVayl list which I only used in round one (hooray for no divide and conquer).

Vayl, Consul of Everblight (*6pts)
* Harrier (2pts)
* Nephilim Soldier (5pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Seraph (8pts)
Blighted Nyss Legionnaires (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Spawning Vessel (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Throne of Everblight (9pts)

Highlights include a successful use of that completely untested eVayl list against a pMadrak brick (player left a gap, cue 2 boosted obliterations and 4 seraph shots blowing Madrak off the table), getting tabled round two on the strength of my dice failing me (two scytheans and an angelius couldn't kill a vaquisher and a reckoner between them, life sucks) and my opponent's dice blowing way up when he went to grenade things with zealots on my feat turn (plus pSeverius running for his life from a Raek, which wasn't fast enough to keep up with it when I only had a turn to live), and assassinating eSkarre with two seconds left on my clock after I had laboriously butchered everything he had on the table except a Nightwretch.

Surprise MVP: My forsaken, for breaking a Warwitch Siren and a unit of Daughters of the Flame twice each with abomination checks (doing 10 surprise damage to a Nightwretch was nice, too).

Starting to get the hang of this tournament thing, along with the art of playing fast. It's nice to work out the math for attacks ahead of time in casual games, but when you're under clock pressure, taking the time to query your opponent is often a waste, especially when they're slow (I ended all of my non-Cryx opponent rounds with 8+ minutes on my clock, if that tells you anything). Just roll dice, shout numbers, and let them deal with the damage math. Often less confusing.

Having something to move your models around on is pretty sweet, too. I popped for a Broken Egg tray because they looked sweet and I like giving money to nerdy carpenters, and it sure beats the hell out of having to unpack and repack your bag every round. Of course, a five dollar cookie tray works about as well, but I'm a fancy lad.

Lastly, probably the most important lesson I learned is REMEMBER YOUR REINFORCEMENTS, because they can help out a whole hell of a lot.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 11, 2012

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

stabbington posted:

Took 3rd (surprised the hell out of me, I thought my breakers were terrible) and split best painted at card kingdom's 35 point tournament today, going 3-1. Ran the same Saeryn list I ran at the tournament last week, along with a T3 eVayl list which I only used in round one (hooray for no divide and conquer).

Vayl, Consul of Everblight (*6pts)
* Harrier (2pts)
* Nephilim Soldier (5pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Seraph (8pts)
Blighted Nyss Legionnaires (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Spawning Vessel (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Throne of Everblight (9pts)

Highlights include a successful use of that completely untested eVayl list against a pMadrak brick (player left a gap, cue 2 boosted obliterations and 4 seraph shots blowing Madrak off the table), getting tabled round two on the strength of my dice failing me (two scytheans and an angelius couldn't kill a vaquisher and a reckoner between them, life sucks) and my opponent's dice blowing way up when he went to grenade things with zealots on my feat turn (plus pSeverius running for his life from a Raek, which wasn't fast enough to keep up with it when I only had a turn to live), and assassinating eSkarre with two seconds left on my clock after I had laboriously butchered everything he had on the table except a Nightwretch.

Surprise MVP: My forsaken, for breaking a Warwitch Siren and a unit of Daughters of the Flame twice each with abomination checks (doing 10 surprise damage to a Nightwretch was nice, too).

Starting to get the hang of this tournament thing, along with the art of playing fast. It's nice to work out the math for attacks ahead of time in casual games, but when you're under clock pressure, taking the time to query your opponent is often a waste, especially when they're slow (I ended all of my non-Cryx opponent rounds with 8+ minutes on my clock, if that tells you anything). Just roll dice, shout numbers, and let them deal with the damage math. Often less confusing.

Having something to move your models around on is pretty sweet, too. I popped for a Broken Egg tray because they looked sweet and I like giving money to nerdy carpenters, and it sure beats the hell out of having to unpack and repack your bag every round. Of course, a five dollar cookie tray works about as well, but I'm a fancy lad.

Lastly, probably the most important lesson I learned is REMEMBER YOUR REINFORCEMENTS, because they can help out a whole hell of a lot.

Congrats! Did you win anything? Can you post your second list?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, it had the Worm I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: found it! It was in the oath thread.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts) OATHED
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts) OATHED
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts) OATHED
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Now that Ive run this list a few times, its pretty damned good. The main, HUGE problem is lack of any sort of pathfinder for the bane thrall deathstar. Its a huge issue. I think Im going to cut the ripjaw down to a 4 pt node, and drop the pistol wraith (gently caress) for some other 2 pt solo. That opens up 2 points for Saxon Orrik.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He did, I'm the press ganger who ran that tourney. :D It was crazy, we had 21 people show up, though we had to cap at 18 due to table space. We are used to getting 9-10 people for our tourneys so it sort of blew my mind a little.

In the end we had maybe 8 people with 3 wins and 1 loss, so control points really do make a difference in a game. If I recall, the second place player had 5, and you had 4 across your games. A number of people ended up with 3 or 2.

Also, someone needs to stop the local player who brings an eVayle list with 3 Angelii who has been absolutely wrecking face at our tourneys. (I think he's undefeated 4 tourneys in a row.)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pfhreak posted:

He did, I'm the press ganger who ran that tourney. :D It was crazy, we had 21 people show up, though we had to cap at 18 due to table space. We are used to getting 9-10 people for our tourneys so it sort of blew my mind a little.

In the end we had maybe 8 people with 3 wins and 1 loss, so control points really do make a difference in a game. If I recall, the second place player had 5, and you had 4 across your games. A number of people ended up with 3 or 2.

Also, someone needs to stop the local player who brings an eVayle list with 3 Angelii who has been absolutely wrecking face at our tourneys. (I think he's undefeated 4 tourneys in a row.)

I'm glad; I was feeling bad about not attending otherwise. I want the events to succeed, but didn't want the stress of playing this weekend. Glad that it filled up (and then some!).

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Walked away with some store credit and a coin for my effort, which was pretty nice. Card Kingdom is not shy with their prize support, which rocks.

My other list:
Saeryn, Omen of Everblight (*5pts)
* Raek (4pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
1 Spell Martyr (1pts)
Strider Deathstalker (2pts)
Strider Deathstalker (2pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

With Anyssa Ryvaal and a Warmonger Warchief for reinforcements.

e: and despite how crazy it got when so many people showed up, it was easily the best-run tournament I've been to, Pfhreak and crew do a great job.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 11, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Okay, been a good 8 months since my last game of Warmachine/Hordes, so I'm going to make the 90 mile drive to the nearest FLGS this Wednesday (Texas). Bringing my Circle, but I'm rusty as hell about listbuilding and not sure if this list is retarded or not. Thinking about either:

List 1 (35 Points)
Krueger the Stormlord 5
Gorax 4
Warpwolf Stalker 10
Woldwarden 9
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)7
Shifting Stones 2
Tharn Ravagers (Leader and 3 Grunts)6
Tharn Ravager Chieftain 2

or

List 2 (35 points)
Krueger the Stormlord 5
Gorax 4
Warpwolf Stalker 10
Woldwarden 9
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)7
Druid of Orboros Overseer 2
Shifting Stones 2
Stone keeper 1
Gallows Grove 1
Lord of the Feast 4

The real question I think is whether Ravagers+chieftain is worth the LotF, Gallows Grove, Overseer, and Stone Keeper.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I would think no. I like the 2nd list better.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

S.J. posted:

I would think no. I like the 2nd list better.

Alright, I'll keep the Ravagers back for 50 then.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

During the weekend, I assembled 16 Nyss hunters (mine and a friend's he still had laying around0.

gently caress Nyss Hunters forever, thank god for pins.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

SpaceViking posted:

Alright, I'll keep the Ravagers back for 50 then.

What part of Texas SV?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Someone that really knows Ret wanna give me a good breakdown of the new ' jacks? I understand that Hypnos is broken good, but what about the others? Also, is an Aspis worth it? I kinda like the model but it seems lackluster.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I managed to convince my roommate to also pick up a battle box, so we had an unpainted Menoth vs Legion battle last night that I must say was really fun. I did end up losing but I now cant wait for my army order to arrive next week.

Highlights include:

His drat Carnevean just not going down!

Picking up and tossing his little warbeasts. drat was that fun.

Learning to advance, even just a little, to make sure that enemy models are in range before declairing attack. I missed with so many spells because of that :( .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Learning to advance, even just a little, to make sure that enemy models are in range before declairing attack. I missed with so many spells because of that :( .

Are you talking about your Warcaster? If so, you can measure your control range at any time for any reason - so you can always check the range between your caster and a target in their control before deciding what you do. Measure it at the start of the turn to eyeball distances, then measure it again at the begin of the activation so you know how far you have to move.

Measuring control gives you so much information during the game, and it is entirely legal (and intended) to use it that way.

• Locked thread