Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't going to support this, but those rewards...

I think I'll look at how well it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Preliminary Kickstarter donation tiers for Wasteland are up on the forum (this thing should be launching sometime next week).

[b]

Have my hundred dollars, Wasteland 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordaedil posted:

I wasn't going to support this

And I thought you were hardcore...

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised the entry level's at $15 dollars since this'll be a considerably bigger project, at least from a design standpoint, than the DoubleFine adventure game. But it looks like they're intent on following Schafer's formula almost to the letter. I sincerely hope this takes off.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Man they are shooting the moon. Cloth maps, retailer boxing and shipping? Good luck to them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

And I thought you were hardcore...

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised the entry level's at $15 dollars since this'll be a considerably bigger project, at least from a design standpoint, than the DoubleFine adventure game. But it looks like they're intent on following Schafer's formula almost to the letter. I sincerely hope this takes off.

Can you really blame me after Hunted: Demon's Forge?

I do wonder if this will be closer to the classic Fallouts in style or if it will still be the pseudo-D&D RPG that Wasteland 1 was. I want to know a bit more, because I never even played Wasteland 1.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I tried going back to Wasteland in the 90s after having played Fallout and even then I didn't think it had aged particularly well.

I'm interested in seeing what this turns out to be, but not really because of the license and sure as hell not because it's being made by InXile.

I feel that most of Wasteland's legacy was completely subsumed by Fallout. All that's left is that admittedly really loving awesome boxart. Does anyone actually still have legitimate passion for the original these days?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well you do know that Fallout is really Wasteland 2, right? They couldn't get the Wasteland license back and so had to rename the game. Don't think Wasteland's going to be a HD remake with the original's gameplay, they've said it'll be an isometric and turn based RPG so pretty much a new old school Fallout game.

The circle is complete.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lurdiak posted:

Are they still aiming for a million? It just doesn't sound realistic.

Considering those awesome rewards, the fact it's been in the news, and that it doesn't have any competition at this point since everyone who wanted already dipped on Double Fine's KS and Avellone's project is on standby, I wouldn't say it is that unrealistic.

Man, just the $50 reward is exactly what the doctor ordered; so nicely old school it's great. I am, however, also concerned about the quality of the title -- what the hell have those guys worked on recently of note? Well, it will have great music at least v:shobon:v

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Saoshyant posted:

Considering those awesome rewards, the fact it's been in the news, and that it doesn't have any competition at this point since everyone who wanted already dipped on Double Fine's KS and Avellone's project is on standby, I wouldn't say it is that unrealistic.

Double Fine started with 400k goal, so 1M is an ambitious one for wasteland.
There's significant risk of not meeting it and killing the whole kickstarter momentum for other projects.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

jammu posted:

Double Fine started with 400k goal, so 1M is an ambitious one for wasteland.
There's significant risk of not meeting it and killing the whole kickstarter momentum for other projects.

I think people are forgetting that you have 40 days to reach your goal, you don't have to generate a million in one day like Doublefine did.

Code hero raised $150,000 in what, ten days?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the black husserl posted:

I think people are forgetting that you have 40 days to reach your goal, you don't have to generate a million in one day like Doublefine did.

Code hero raised $150,000 in what, ten days?

Yeah but Doublefine was the second to raise a million ever (behind some ipod dock that had like $100 minimums anyway). I think the real question is whether Brian Fargo and Wasteland have the same kind of internet cache that Tim Schafer and Doublefine have. I definitely would say he doesn't. But still, I remain optimistic that enough people will go "oh that sounds pretty cool" to donate. But if he had been doing this kickstarter thing in a vacuum I don't know that he could raise a million without the context of Doublefine's success.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Pledge $150 (unlimited)
Previous rewards +a limited edition numbered collectible coin.

Somehow this coin doesn't seem as limited as the name suggests.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Wendell posted:

Pledge $150 (unlimited)

It'll be limited to those who pledge before the deadline, won't it? Jason Scott's feelie coin from Get Lamp was a whoever-orders-it-gets-one sorta deal, but Kickstarter makes it easy to keep track of "I only need to make exactly this number of reward items and no more" kinds of stuff.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I know, I'm just being silly.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Even so, it's still apt to be worth more than Superman #82 with the metallic cover - eighty cents new on Amazon Marketplace and one of the greatest object lessons in speculation ever. Gullibility, thy manifestation is limited to a quarter of a million copies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Are they still aiming for a million? It just doesn't sound realistic.

I mean if they miss that target, you get your money back. It beats them asking for less and then finding out later they just can't do it on the amount they had. If anything, it's low, and they're counting on other sources of funding besides just kickstarter. Either that or there's no voice acting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean if they miss that target, you get your money back. It beats them asking for less and then finding out later they just can't do it on the amount they had. If anything, it's low, and they're counting on other sources of funding besides just kickstarter. Either that or there's no voice acting.

I think they're hoping it'll snowball well past a million once there's enough momentum. They'll have to be very stingy otherwise. One million dollars on a fully committed 1-1.5 year project seems to barely cover the bare bones. That's if they even manage that, but I'm optimistic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Pledge $150 (unlimited)

I' more surprised they expect us to pay $50 for a coin. Can I use that coin to cash in for gas at a gas-station?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a money coin, they're not a bank. People geek out about all sorts of stuff (like cloth maps), so I could see somebody getting really excited about a special coin. It would make more sense for a swords & sorcery RPG though, like an old school fat coin stamped with the king's face and whatnot.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cream_Filling posted:

Either that or there's no voice acting.

I don't think they even plan to have voice acting. While I love it in many games, I couldn't care less about it in Wastelands 2, to be honest. Better spend the money elsewhere.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think they even plan to have voice acting. While I love it in many games, I couldn't care less about it in Wastelands 2, to be honest. Better spend the money elsewhere.

Tim Schafer said in one of the videos that because they got so much money they could put in voice acting.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No one's mentioned the Doublefine total for a while, so I just wanted to point out that we have 4 days to go and a current tally of $2,496,887. It'll break 2.5 million for sure, but I wonder if there will be a last minute push to get it even higher.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NmareBfly posted:

It'll break 2.5 million for sure, but I wonder if there will be a last minute push to get it even higher.

Nah, everyone who wanted to dip in, already did. I have an interesting fact, though:

quote:

"Double Fine Adventure" Poster autographed by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and the rest of the design team

Limited at 900 people, costs $250. SOLD OUT. Now that is awesome.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lordfrikk posted:

Dunno, for every game that has good voice acting I can think of two where it was uninteresting or lovely. Especially for an RPG, voice-acting makes it harder to have dialogue, and I like dialogue. Although Wasteland isn't exactly known for dialogue, I suppose.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
New project update is up.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/posts/187612

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Most expensive t-shirt I've ever bought. :smith:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

"Like these classic games of yore that I selected randomly here." *holds up boxes of Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango*

:allears:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Demiurge4 posted:

Tim Schafer said in one of the videos that because they got so much money they could put in voice acting.

I was talking about Brian Fargo's Wastelands 2, not Double Fine Adventure. The adventure is confirmed to have voice acting now IIRC.

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, for every game that has good voice acting I can think of two where it was uninteresting or lovely. Especially for an RPG, voice-acting makes it harder to have dialogue, and I like dialogue. Although Wasteland isn't exactly known for dialogue, I suppose.

True that, but it might this time :v: One way or another, I would not like to see it constrained neither creatively nor quantitatively by voice acting.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

• Mr. Schafer himself will be signing all of the Double Fine Adventure books. He'll also gently caress all of their bindings. I mean, if you're into it.

Uh.....

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Argh! $70 more, huh? (Well, 80 for me.)

I mean, I already have too many shirts, but that's one video gaming related shirt that would actually be a cool thing to have.

EDIT: Also, 2.5 has now been reached. Guess a few other people already reevaluated their backer level.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Did it suddenly jump a million dollars in the last few days? Because I thought it was ~1.5 aiming for 2, but no its apparently 2.5 aiming for 3mil

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dud root posted:

Did it suddenly jump a million dollars in the last few days? Because I thought it was ~1.5 aiming for 2, but no its apparently 2.5 aiming for 3mil

No it's been over 2 million for a couple of weeks already.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cream_Filling posted:

Most games always cut so many corners with voice acting that I'd really rather they not bother unless they're gonna go all out. I can think of so many JRPGs and action games where a stock line a character yells during an attack or after a fight is just a sample from a story sequence later in the game, recycled out of context to save money. Or to use a closer example, how in Fallout 3, all the male Ghoul NPCs were clearly voiced by the same guy, and human NPCs that weren't key characters had 4 voices to split between the lot of them.

Boy, nothing makes me feel immersed in a world like two NPCs with the same exact voice talking to each other. Why even bother if you're gonna be THAT cheap?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ultramiraculous posted:

• Mr. Schafer himself will be signing all of the Double Fine Adventure books. He'll also gently caress all of their bindings. I mean, if you're into it.

Uh.....

Now that is something I'd like to see in the documentary.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Donnerberg posted:

Now that is something I'd like to see in the documentary.

An entire hour dedicated to taking each book out to a candlelight dinner before laying them down in a bed of roses, candles burning softly in the background. Tim smiles.

"Ssh, my sweet little book. This night... is a Double Fine night."

Fade to black.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I came back from my forums self-exile just to post in the Wasteland 2 thread ... and I find that there is no Wasteland 2 thread, rather people are just talking about it in the Double Fine Kickstarter thread? Is this a mistake? Do I need to make one? Because seriously, this is major news for the oldschool CRPG crowd, and EVERYONE MUST KNOW.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm really holding my breath for the potential for some awesome old-school rpgs being funded through Kickstarter. I'm going to be broken hearted if Wasteland 2 doesn't make it.
I will not accept a Kickstarter failure for Wasteland 2. I have been waiting for this moment for more than two decades, and I went from assuming it would never actually happen to SEEING IT WITHIN MY REACH AND AHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordaedil posted:

I do wonder if this will be closer to the classic Fallouts in style or if it will still be the pseudo-D&D RPG that Wasteland 1 was. I want to know a bit more, because I never even played Wasteland 1.
Brian Fargo has talked a little about this, but I cannot seem to quote him without making it all sound wrong, so I will just leave it at "he said people who wanted Fallout 3 to be like Fallout 1 and 2 will definitely like Wasteland 2."

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel that most of Wasteland's legacy was completely subsumed by Fallout. All that's left is that admittedly really loving awesome boxart. Does anyone actually still have legitimate passion for the original these days?
Yes. You have no idea. There is a Wasteland group on Yahoo! Groups that has been active since the late 1990s, and has over a thousand members. Am I saying that these people are all sane (or all as excited as I am)? No, but plenty of them are extremely excited, and that is exactly the crowd you want for a good Kickstarter. I have never used Kickstarter before, and I promise you I am going to put every single last cent I have to spare into this project. I HAVE WANTED THIS SINCE 1990. THERE IS NO OTHER THING I HAVE ANTICIPATED MORE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Wasteland is responsible for not only my lifelong love of the post-apocalyptic genre, but my very introduction to it. It is also responsible for taking my casual interest in a bunch of gaming styles, including RPG, and turning that into "basically I only want to play RPGs ever with a few first-person shooter breaks." I cannot overstate Wasteland's importance for the construction of my leisure time in my life, and I am going to reflect this in my donation. Did I love the Fallout games? Yes; in fact, I would even say I liked most of them more than Wasteland. But I also have had the characters, locations, and story from Wasteland stewing in my mind with countless unresolved questions since I was a child. I am sure you can imagine the kind of excitement that can create. It is like someone launching a Kickstarter to clone your beloved childhood dog, and people are like "I dunno, you can get a new dog pretty easily these days." No, actually, it is nothing like that, shut up

Boxart is also legitimately awesome (I have a 3x3' blow-up of the painting section on my office wall). No, I would never claim that the game holds up as well as some other classic games--but there was plenty about Wasteland to separate it from Fallout, not that anyone will notice (I already bristle with anger thinking about the thousands of people talking about Wasteland 2 being a total Fallout ripoff). Wasteland is the extrapolation of 1980s pop culture, and its own unique fears about nuclear annihilation, which needless to say can play out way differently than Fallout's 1950s take on the genre.

Edit: Make no mistake, I am worried that a million dollars, though apparently a realistic sum to get the game produced, may be overly optimistic--but I also am hoping that Brian Fargo knows something we do not about all the people who have indirectly benefited throughout their lives from the Fallout franchise who know that Wasteland is the reason it all started.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress Yeah! Finally someone with the proper attitude!

Quarex posted:

I came back from my forums self-exile just to post in the Wasteland 2 thread ... and I find that there is no Wasteland 2 thread, rather people are just talking about it in the Double Fine Kickstarter thread? Is this a mistake? Do I need to make one? Because seriously, this is major news for the oldschool CRPG crowd, and EVERYONE MUST KNOW.

I was going to start one if no one stepped up when the Kickstarter page went up, but I have a hunch you may do it more justice.

quote:

Brian Fargo has talked a little about this, but I cannot seem to quote him without making it all sound wrong, so I will just leave it at "he said people who wanted Fallout 3 to be like Fallout 1 and 2 will definitely like Wasteland 2."

It remains to be seen which they'll go with, but apart from the presentational differences and slightly different flavor of dark humor, Wasteland also had you controlling a party of four, whilst in Fallout it was just you (plus the optional followers). I'd really be fine with either option, because the party was hardly what defined Wasteland, but I also sort of feel we could do with a party based RPG once in a while (last major one came out, what, a decade ago?)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So is the wasteland kickstarter going to include a free copy of Wasteland 1, so I know where the story is picking up from? If not, who is selling the digital version?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

So is the wasteland kickstarter going to include a free copy of Wasteland 1, so I know where the story is picking up from? If not, who is selling the digital version?

No. EA holds some of the rights. Without their consent, the game can't be sold. Fargo has tried but, for now, to no avail.

e: Naturally, though, there are a few sites that specialize in abandonware from which you can download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Quarex posted:

WASTELAND.

You seem to be uniquely qualified for the job, so make a thread already. Go go go!

• Locked thread