Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FLX posted:

Here, I recorded both for you:
http://soundcloud.com/flixxx/sets/tr303-rebirth-vs-rhythm-studio

I think the ReBirth 303 sounds a lot better.

EDIT: The audio glitches are from SoundCloud's conversion.

Thanks for those examples. I'll pick up Rebirth the next time it goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Well, Rhythm Studio's next update is out soon and so the price has been dropped to 99¢ in anticipation. I'll probably pick this up if for nothing but the 303 emulation.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I just saw that they also have a dedicated 303 App, which is currently more expensive though.

http://appshopper.com/music/digital-bass-line-db-303

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The new Rhythm Studio (Universal, $0.99 sale) update is out. They added a new synth, WIST, background audio support and bluetooth song sharing.

Tabletop (iPad, $0.99) got an IAP for a 303 by the way, but it costs $3.99 I think, so I haven't tried it yet.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 20, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody has experience with Tapletop?

I'm not that interested but it's currently 1$ so

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Olivil posted:

Anybody has experience with Tapletop?

I'm not that interested but it's currently 1$ so

I really like it and prefer it over Rhythm Studio. You get a bunch of nice devices with the $0.99 App, and can add to those with IAPs. What's cool about Tabletop is that you manually connect all the devices, so you can plug your synth into an external distortion effect box and that into a mixer, plug the mixer into a filter and that into a recorder, etc. There is also a global trigger device which you can use to create and play patterns.

Here's a demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nobQnEJDkw&feature=related

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I have tabletop, but I've never actually messed around with it. Thanks for reminding me.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Tabletop has always looked interesting to me. It's a beautiful looking app. The IAP prices are a bit much, though. Considering the app itself is only $1 right now, I bought it. It's downloading right now.

I'm just not sure how well I'll get along with a modular workflow. I'm so accustomed to NanoStudio's streamlined workflow.

Edit: Played around with it a bit, and I'm surprised how cool it is. Being able to have a complete overview of all of the components of a song is great, and seeing automation turn the knobs on the effects as the song plays is cool. The additional devices are so expensive though. $10 for a subtractive synth, $5 for a 303 and $5 for a 909 — you'd be at the total cost for NanoStudio and still not have the same level of fumctionality. I'm sure I'll still buy those and some effects though, because I can't deny the coolness of this app.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 21, 2012

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
That seems like a good, fair review. I've been away from working on music stuff for a while but need to get back to it and do it more seriously. Anyone know of any other current good buys?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Had an urge to play around with ReBirth for iPad today: YouTube / SoundCloud

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I have an iRig, and I love it, but I'm having huge problems with feedback anytime I try to use it with my band. Any tips or tricks to get it to cut the poo poo? I try checking the cables, rebooting the app, when it gets started, it just wont quit.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

gypsyshred posted:

I have an iRig, and I love it, but I'm having huge problems with feedback anytime I try to use it with my band. Any tips or tricks to get it to cut the poo poo? I try checking the cables, rebooting the app, when it gets started, it just wont quit.

Are you running to a guitar amp or PA? Running mono to an amp can be more problematic than stereo out from what I've read. Since it's a passive device, different loads will give you better or worse feedback performance.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Startyde posted:

Are you running to a guitar amp or PA? Running mono to an amp can be more problematic than stereo out from what I've read. Since it's a passive device, different loads will give you better or worse feedback performance.

Tried both, same problem. If it weren't for the feedback thing, it'd be super convenient and sounds great.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

Tried both, same problem. If it weren't for the feedback thing, it'd be super convenient and sounds great.

I found this article where it says to use a Y-cable's left output, as recommended by the iRig devs, to reduce Amp/PA feedback.

http://www.ipadcreative.com/blog/2010/11/3/irig-ipad-guitarist-musician-heaven.html

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 5, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Line 6 just released some midi keyboards compatible with ipad:

http://line6.com/mobilekeys/overview

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

keyframe posted:

Line 6 just released some midi keyboards compatible with ipad:

http://line6.com/mobilekeys/overview
Don't all (or most) USB MIDI controllers work with the iPad, through the Camera Connection Kit?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don't all (or most) USB MIDI controllers work with the iPad, through the Camera Connection Kit?

Do they? I did not know that.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's right. The nice thing about the Line6 keyboards is that you don't need the CCK though, because they connect directly to the iPad's (and iPhone's!) data port.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 6, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

special jack that connects to the 30-pin dock connector at the bottom of your iPad or iPhone. (Special three-foot/one-meter iPad/iPhone cable included.)
Wonder if a special cable replacement costs about the same as the CCK if you ever lose it :v:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

While waiting for the iPad 3 announcement today, I recorded a video showing some of the Tenori-On App's MIDI input and sync capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-_MJoAZqo

This is the first video where I did the voice-overs myself, so forgive me if they're too ... mellow? :haw:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like today's GarageBand update adds "Smart Strings" and a MIDI note editor.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any IRC channels dedicated to iOS music making? Might be fun to chat with others also indulging in this rather strange hobby...

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Here's the second Tenori-On video about MIDI output:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBbBlOciUo

You can use the App as a sequencer, which can be quite fun with the random, bounce and draw layers.

haunted sleep posted:

Are there any IRC channels dedicated to iOS music making? Might be fun to chat with others also indulging in this rather strange hobby...
I haven't looked for any yet, but let me know if you find/open one.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like today's GarageBand update adds "Smart Strings" and a MIDI note editor.
And a jam session mode that lets you play with others :haw:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/garageband.html

EDIT: I totally didn't realize that GarageBand became a universal app last year!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 9, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Here is the new SonicTouch episode, which is all about the new GarageBand features!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAoSlCWtUmk

EDIT: I just installed GarageBand after deleting it some time ago because I needed space on my 16GB iPad, and now the App's size has almost doubled from 460MB to 800MB :monocle:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2012

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I've never regretted going 64, even for a second. 16gb would be ok if it wasn't for the fact that you usually need double the space of the app's actual size to install poo poo. gently caress juggling apps back and forth all the time.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

haunted sleep posted:

I just registered #goonmusician on irc.synirc.net

Hop on guys.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

keyframe posted:

I just registered #goonmusician on irc.synirc.net

Hop on guys.

Great! Added it to the OP.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks!

Now how about you guys hop on and chat with us. :colbert:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

keyframe posted:

Thanks!

Now how about you guys hop on and chat with us. :colbert:

I hung out in the chat for over 4 hours earlier today and nobody was there :colbert:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/03/12/retronyms-bringing-akai-mpc-fly-to-tabletop/

Looks like TableTop is turning into the quasi DAW king of IOS? That's actually a promising path... Imagine being able to run Horizon, etc, in the middle of the Tabletop environment... Cool.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/03/12/retronyms-bringing-akai-mpc-fly-to-tabletop/

Looks like TableTop is turning into the quasi DAW king of IOS? That's actually a promising path... Imagine being able to run Horizon, etc, in the middle of the Tabletop environment... Cool.

That's nice! Especially that you don't have to buy the MPC in Tabletop again, if you already own the standalone App.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

In other news, iZotope's autotune is coming to Tabletop.

When Tabletop was released I wasn't too interested even though I liked the concept, and it looked really nice. It was too limited back then, especially compared to NanoStudio.

Now, though, I end up spending hours every night with Tabletop. The workflow is great. The in-app purchases are expensive compared to other iOS apps (I've spent $46 collecting most of the devices) but I can't complain, everything about this app is top notch and I'm getting hours of entertainment out of it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I was pretty down on Tabletop as well.. When it was released I could do virtually everything with it that I could do with ReBirth. The extra instruments didn't seem very appealing. But now, with (what I expect to be) quality instruments being introduced... Kind of cool. It's a solid base to work from, and now you know you'll be getting solid in-app purchases as opposed to in-house effect boxes.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

I was pretty down on Tabletop as well.. When it was released I could do virtually everything with it that I could do with ReBirth. The extra instruments didn't seem very appealing. But now, with (what I expect to be) quality instruments being introduced... Kind of cool. It's a solid base to work from, and now you know you'll be getting solid in-app purchases as opposed to in-house effect boxes.

It is a little redundant, but I've found the interface to TableTop to be MUCH better in my opinion.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

It is a little redundant, but I've found the interface to TableTop to be MUCH better in my opinion.

I don't know. I think it's great that you can access almost everything at all times in ReBirth on the iPad. Also you've got pattern slots for each instrument and not just global patterns like in TableTop.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This looks pretty drat amazing:

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

keyframe posted:

This looks pretty drat amazing:

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

That looks crazy close to a real DAW running on a computer (AAF import?!). If it's stable and as good as advertised it could be a real game-changer for the iPad's reputation as a toy/sketchpad. Predicting that the app will cost around $100 :haw:

UNRELATED EDIT:
I just came across this awesome commercial for Mackie's Digital Live Sound Mixer with iPad control:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACo3VgXijlU

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 13, 2012

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
This might sound rather stupid as I have no experience making music whatsoever but I am considering getting an iPad soon.

Is it possible to make fully formed songs using just the apps on the ipad without using outside physical hardware?

Like if you buy the apps recommended in this thread (such as the synths, the beatmaker app, garageband, all the korg stuff), can you put the sounds you create using these apps into one interface (such as garageband) and start arranging the tracks into a song.

I see a lot of links and suggestions about incorporating physical MIDI controllers and keyboards as well as synching with computer software, but is it still possible to accomplish anything substantial without physical hardware other than the iPad (vocals excluded, obviously that would require a mic setup).

I apologize for all of the ignorant questions but I'm new to all this and I want to jump in without buying any additional hardware.

Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, most apps have the ability to use a cut and paste feature to pass audio clips around.

There are albums out there that were made entirely on iOS devices, so it certainly can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It's entirely possible to make full songs using nothing but an iPad and an app like NanoStudio (or GarageBand or Tabletop or Meteor, etc). It's just a matter of dealing with certain limitations (like if you want to use a synth like Horizon but are sequencing everything in NanoStudio, be prepared to get well acquainted with AudioCopy and AudioPaste). However, if you've never had experience with desktop music production apps, it will probably be easier for you to get accustomed to iOS music apps.

What kind of music were you planning on creating? For newbies, I tend to recommend NanoStudio or GarageBand.

• Locked thread