Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So do exported saves not keep track of romance post-Collector base? I know they keep track of some DLC choices, but I made it a point for my Renegade run (built around trying to ruin everything as much as possible) to have every single romance option after the Collector base.

And now I'm importing him and it's saying he's been loyal to Ashley.

God. I don't wanna marry the space Christian. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyone else feel like the synthesis ending makes the world look like Darwinia?

Anyway I'm going to replay the game now. What is the most overpowered class/weapon/skill combo that lets me steamroll through the game?

Yeah I went down that route and it just seemed to make sense. I feel like the plot wouldn't be the same if she wasn't there.

Vanguard, pistol, fortification bonus power. Charge/nova all day, on any difficulty.

Edit: beaten at least four times. That's how true it is though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just beat the game - a little thought on the ending:

Having played pure Paragon all the way through the trilogy, the endings are pretty clear:

Red/Destroy = Fucks over the Geth and EDI and all the other potentially friendly non-organics in the galaxy. Saves your own skin at the expense of genocide.

Green/Synthesis = It's just kinda a throw-your-hands-up and say 'gently caress everything' ending. Everyone and everything gets turned into mecho-bio-weirdo creatures. Congratulations, you've made a whole new paradigm and effectively become god, whatever that means.

Blue/Control = The True Paragon ending, really. Yes, the Mass Relays are gone, but the Reapers are now passive/friendly, and all the work you did? Getting the races together, cooperating understanding one another? Ending the war between the Geth and Quarians, showing that synthetics and organics don't have to always fight? That can continue.

And now? Earth - the Sol system in general, really - is now the ultimate melting pot. Every race can find representation there. Fleets of every race - synthetic and organic - can work together to rebuild. Shepard spent years running around the galaxy trying to get everyone to finally take a breath and understand each other - giving his life so that the galaxy can have a chance following that road? That's the Paragon way.

There's a good chance that they'll get in contact with the rest of the galaxy soon enough, anyway - remember, there's a whole lot of geniuses out there, they've still got quantum entanglement communications (which are relay-independent) and someone probably has some idea of how to rebuild the relay network.

Yeah, Shepard dies. But he followed in the footsteps of Mordin and Legion - he had hope, dammit! And his sacrifice gives the galaxy a chance at a better future, putting it squarely in their hands.

Still vaguely lame endings one and all, but that one? Not too bad, really.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2012

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Aren't you supposed to start this game with some credits? I know I had like 30-40k when I started, then I bought one thing for like 6k and now, back on the Normandy, the game is telling me I have 0 credits. These bugs are really getting annoying. I think this might be due to installing the After Ashes DLC after playing the game for a bit.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2012

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Did I completely gently caress up my Liara relationship by Banging Traynor? I didn't mean to, just...I was giving her a scrub down like I give all my crew, and I accidentally gave her the shocker and then it just kind of happaned.. Seriously, don't hit spacebar to bypass dialog :(

A likely story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Oh, man, that reminds me that MTV used to be really awesome. :( ^

Frankenstyle posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you specifically. I just meant that I see a lot of people raving about how awesome the game game is, and I don't understand why.

But yeah, I agree that the combat is great and I have been liking that aspect a lot. It's the bits in between the combat that come up way short of the last two games.

Generally I think I will have a lot more fun replaying it once I start doing more multiplayer so I can stop sperging out about plannet scanning for war assets and constantly running around to catch amusing side conversations. The difference between this game and the last is that with ME2 I find myself slogging through replays because I don't have that much fun with the combat portions of the game, whereas with ME3, the combat is the star of the show so to speak.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 10, 2012

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

Are there any missions like the suicide mission in me2 where you have to do them asap or you get a worse outcome?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Are there any missions like the suicide mission in me2 where you have to do them asap or you get a worse outcome?

No. But missions can be missed if you don't do them soon enough.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Deep Space Hitler posted:

^Beaten. This thread moves too fast.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Loving Life Partner posted:

Has anyone loaded CheatEngine to see if you can just change it to 100% brute force?

I don't know how to script for it, so I can't say anything there, but basic brute force doesn't work. The variable switches addresses between matches and those are the only times they change.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Just beat the game - a little thought on the ending:

Having played pure Paragon all the way through the trilogy, the endings are pretty clear:

Red/Destroy = Fucks over the Geth and EDI and all the other potentially friendly non-organics in the galaxy. Saves your own skin at the expense of genocide.

Green/Synthesis = It's just kinda a throw-your-hands-up and say 'gently caress everything' ending. Everyone and everything gets turned into mecho-bio-weirdo creatures. Congratulations, you've made a whole new paradigm and effectively become god, whatever that means.

Blue/Control = The True Paragon ending, really. Yes, the Mass Relays are gone, but the Reapers are now passive/friendly, and all the work you did? Getting the races together, cooperating understanding one another? Ending the war between the Geth and Quarians, showing that synthetics and organics don't have to always fight? That can continue.

And now? Earth - the Sol system in general, really - is now the ultimate melting pot. Every race can find representation there. Fleets of every race - synthetic and organic - can work together to rebuild. Shepard spent years running around the galaxy trying to get everyone to finally take a breath and understand each other - giving his life so that the galaxy can have a chance following that road? That's the Paragon way.

There's a good chance that they'll get in contact with the rest of the galaxy soon enough, anyway - remember, there's a whole lot of geniuses out there, they've still got quantum entanglement communications (which are relay-independent) and someone probably has some idea of how to rebuild the relay network.

Yeah, Shepard dies. But he followed in the footsteps of Mordin and Legion - he had hope, dammit!

Still vaguely lame endings one and all, but that one? Not too bad, really.

Interesting observation, the endings are color coded to your alignment.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I have to say, the way Liara developed over the course of the three games was done really really well. I didn't find her all that interesting in the first game so didn't pay too much attention. In the second game she really shines, especially in Lair of the Shadow Broker. I never followed the romance option so later encounters with her went along this really nice/nostalgic "old friends" vibe. She does for you what you do for all the other characters (seeing that they are alright and asking them about how they feel about developments etc).

Her last encounter with Shepard in ME3 was really sweet, where she did that strange galactic horizon vision thing and put her head on Shepard's shoulder. I had followed the Ash LI plot line so in a way it came across as her shyly confessing her feelings for Shepard, knowing that it was never to be. That was a nice classy moment.

It would have been nice if the game ended on that sort of tone rather than the excrement that got shock-dumped on us THE CRUCIBLE WAS MAGIC, NOW YOU ARE JESUS.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

I thought that was immediately obvious. I'm just surprised that so many people don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that it's laid out just like a regular dialogue choice, just not using the regular wheel interface.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how everyone makes fun of Shepard not being able to dance.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Rachni question:

I've just done the mission where you choose to either free the queen or not. I went with not, assuming Grunt would die if I did. He's survived and so has his company. I've read that sparing her means you forfeit the company (but not Grunt if you did his loyalty mission) so should I have freed her? Which is more beneficial in the long run?

I really like that it gave me such a tough decision so early on but it's painful :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

No they're not.

Destroy is the paragon choice, as represented by Anderson. And it's red.

Control is the renegade choice, as represented by TIM. And it's blue.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

DerDestroyer posted:

Actually in the spoiler thread before release, regarding the ending choices In It For The Tank said that they were color coded specifically to be the opposite color of alignment (at least in regards to Destroy/Control). Destroy is the paragon ending, control is renegade, synthesis is neutral. Or at least that's what the writers intended.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

seizure later posted:

Rachni question:

I've just done the mission where you choose to either free the queen or not. I went with not, assuming Grunt would die if I did. He's survived and so has his company. I've read that sparing her means you forfeit the company (but not Grunt if you did his loyalty mission) so should I have freed her? Which is more beneficial in the long run?

I really like that it gave me such a tough decision so early on but it's painful :(

I think the Rachni are worth like 50 more GaW points or something, so it's not really a big difference.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lloyd Boner posted:

Actually in the spoiler thread before release, regarding the ending choices In It For The Tank said that they were color coded specifically to be the opposite color of alignment (at least in regards to Destroy/Control). Destroy is the paragon ending, control is renegade, synthesis is neutral. Or at least that's what the writers intended.

Why in the blue gently caress would they do that? What the hell is that supposed to imply? It sounds really dumb.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I chose destroy because I thought it would be the right thing to do, but apparently it would also result in the geth dying? I guess there's no good ending

BLOWTAKKKS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2012

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Why in the blue gently caress would they do that? What the hell is that supposed to imply? It sounds really dumb.

I dunno. Probably just to be all "what a twist!" and see if they can confuse some people on what the "best" ending is.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

(Ending talk)

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying that. The entire trilogy, the Paragon route has basically been 'save everyone, give peace a chance', and Renegade has been 'gently caress this, I'm kicking asses and surviving this no matter what'. And that matches the choices. The Control ending, you sacrifice yourself to stop the Reapers without killing anyone but yourself. The Destroy ending, you commit genocide and get to walk out alive.

Paragon Shep doesn't casually execute an entire species. Especially given that they spent a good chunk of ME2 and ME3 trying to convince you that the Geth are cool folks who deserve a chance to live alongside organics. Having the true 'paragon' ending be to casually execute their entire species AFTER saving it? Bullshit.

Y'all are way overthinking it. The ending options are - considering color - perfectly in keeping with every other Paragon/Renegade choice the game offers up to that point.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 10, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Why would they do anything with the endings they did? It's all dumb.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is there a way (yet) for me to edit a New Game+ ME3 save to alter the choices my character had made in ME2/ME1? I'd like to play through a second time with my beefed up character, but would also like to explore some of the different story options.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
After keeping my weight low as an Adept, using Inferno armor, I'm convinced ME3 Adept is more broken than the ME1 version.

e: Seriously, my Pull/Warp/Singularity are on sub 2second cooldowns. This is madness. I don't even need this SMG.

Subbz fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 10, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I haven't finished the game yet, but can someone who finished the game make a separate spoiler thread for ending discussion? We made a similar thread for DXHR. It's easier to have two readable threads filled with relevant instead of one blotted out one that's useless for anyone who hasn't completed the game yet.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 10, 2012

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I love endings where I can just watch the other choices on YouTube and know that they're going to be exactly the same for my game. Gives a real weight to my choices.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Codependent Poster posted:

Why would they do anything with the endings they did? It's all dumb.

Ha, true enough. I think the biggest bummer for me is that everything leading up to the ending is this awesome 80s action movie thrill ride with explosions and one-liners and kick rear end space bros like Garrus, and then the ending is just a big ol' downer.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Basically the game was fine right up until the point Harbinger's laser swept over your face.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DerDestroyer posted:

Basically the game was fine right up until the point Harbinger's laser swept over your face.

I disagree I think it was fantastic up until the elevator ride in the citadel.

That slowmo scene with the husks was bad rear end.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I've gotten every single war asset, and I'm 85% on galactic readiness..... so there's no point in grinding MP anymore because the ending will still be the same lovely one? :psyduck:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

I really liked the whole TIM confrontation and chilling with Anderson as he passes away. It was just those five minutes after that that loving ruined everything.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Just got the game today, my only complaint so far is that stupid slow motion blue scanning thing on the (I don't know if this is considered a spoiler or not but whatever)Normandy.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Can someone tell me the general quality of the side missions?

I did two of them so far (defusing a bomb and arming the artillery) and they were very short and pointless, is that what I can expect?

Also some of the missions say N7, or Citadel, does that mean those missions are on the ship or citadel or is that just where they started?

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

So what happens if you dont take the renegade interrupt when the illusive man does to shoot Anderson? At first I didn't and then he raises his gun at shepard and another renegade interrupt appears. I just alt+f4'd at that point. Also, during the conversation there were some grayed out dialogue choices. Do those make a difference?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mistermojo posted:

Can someone tell me the general quality of the side missions?

I did two of them so far (defusing a bomb and arming the artillery) and they were very short and pointless, is that what I can expect?

Also some of the missions say N7, or Citadel, does that mean those missions are on the ship or citadel or is that just where they started?

N7 missions are on the multiplayer maps and sort of play out like them. Citadel missions mean they came from the Citadel or are finished there, and those involve finding items on missions (or buying them from the Spectre terminal if you miss them) or scanning planets or running around the Citadel itself.

The true side missions are better, though there are only three (or four if you get From Ashes).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

dmccaff posted:

Just got the game today, my only complaint so far is that stupid slow motion blue scanning thing on the (I don't know if this is considered a spoiler or not but whatever)Normandy.

Those scanners are there in lieu of loading screens. That's also why there are so many doors that take a while to bypass. The game is pressing up against console memory limits. The other option would have been to do it DA style where consoles were missing the last hi-res texture layer. That's also why there is no sheath weapon animation.

You can really see the console limits in cutscenes. There are some slowdowns in a few places.

vvvv Less cool stand-ins and less options.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 10, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Welp I just finished Priority: Tuchanka.

I was worried that nothing in ME3 would be able to compare to Lair of the Shadow Broker. It would seem I was wrong.

Man I don't even know how that mission is supposed to hash out with Wrex (and Mordin for that matter). Fortunately I don't have to worry about that since I've never killed Wrex.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Welp I just finished Priority: Tuchanka.

I was worried that nothing in ME3 would be able to compare to Lair of the Shadow Broker. It would seem I was wrong.

Man I don't even know how that mission is supposed to hash out with Wrex (and Mordin for that matter). Fortunately I don't have to worry about that since I've never killed Wrex.

A lot of the missions are on par with Shadow Broker, I think. The game is really amazing with the gameplay and character interactions. Then the last 5 minutes kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dmccaff posted:

"But we created a seamless gameplay experience, without loading screens!" :shepface:

• Locked thread