Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
At the risk of sounding a bit creepy I think it would be funny if you romanced Liara and she decides to flip the switch during the lovescene you had with her and knock herself up. Can you imagine a Shepard influenced Asari commando running around wrecking people's poo poo 100 years down the road? With full natural biotic powers? gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Eejit posted:

But maybe it was a different poster? Honestly would like to see myself proven wrong.

Start reading from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470696&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post401385017

A lot of people make some good points on the validity of the reapers' logic. Personally, I find it believable within the series that A race that experiences time on a completely different scale than organics would believe in the existence of this problem that their cycle is a solution for. It's possible tbe catalyst comes from another galaxy that had the same scenario (synthetic life eventually wiping out all organic life in the galaxy) take place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lloyd Boner posted:

Quarians converted all their liveships to warships to fight the Geth

:psyduck: Every single one? And they do this regardless of what you did at the trial in Mass Effect 2? That's ridiculous.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So can someone tell me exactly what happens with the Geth and the Quarians? I know that one race ends up getting killed but I'm not sure how all the Quarians would be wiped out. Or is it just their fleet?

If you haven't done the right stuff previously, the geth get destroyed by the quarian fleet (and Tali kills Legion), or the quarian fleet gets ripped to shreds by the geth, and Tali throws herself off the cliff. If you have made preparations for peace, then you need to pick one initially and then pass a renegade/paragon check.

There were only a few checks in 3, but oddly I didn't notice that until well after the end. Also, it's interesting how Han'Gerrel is cool in 2, and a total cock in 3, and Koris is the converse.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Man this thread is a spoiler minefield. Gotta step carefully.

Post Tuchanka: I am very impressed that this game managed to make me care about Thane after ignoring him for all of Mass Effect 2. His death was genuinely moving and redeemed what I thought was a totally boring character.

Also, my Vanguard is now officially using only a single weapon: The Graal Spike Launcher. Dear god. I don't even care that I wind up with only +175% recharge speed, nothing compares to how satisfying that weapon is. KCHOOOMPF.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
What in the hell is up with this games multiplayer map selection. I swear about 90% of the "UNKNOWNS" I join are that absolutely lovely Firebase Giant map.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The Aberrant posted:

Nope, reputation does not affect the Illusive Man choice what-so-ever. I just jacked it up to high heaven the last choice was still loving grey. If anyone knows where I might find the trigger for the paragon persuade option on Thessia, it would be much appreciated.

I think you have to paragon/renegade option him every time you meet him in the game to get the final check at the end.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Ham posted:

Start reading from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470696&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post401385017

A lot of people make some good points on the validity of the reapers' logic. Personally, I find it believable within the series that A race that experiences time on a completely different scale than organics would believe in the existence of this problem that their cycle is a solution for. It's possible tbe catalyst comes from another galaxy that had the same scenario (synthetic life eventually wiping out all organic life in the galaxy) take place.

Maybe none of the council races will actually develop synthetic life and instead some random unknown race living in a chain of star systems not hooked up to a mass relay does. All of a sudden you get this massive swarm of Von Neuman machines consuming the entire galaxy Lexx style and no one could've predicted it, not even the reapers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DerDestroyer posted:

At the risk of sounding a bit creepy I think it would be funny if you romanced Liara and she decides to flip the switch during the lovescene you had with her and knock herself up. Can you imagine a Shepard influenced Asari commando running around wrecking people's poo poo 100 years down the road? With full natural biotic powers? gently caress yeah.
So, basically an asari vanguard who gives absolutely no fucks, charges at and punches out heavy mechs just like her dad used to. :3::black101:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Milli posted:

I think you have to paragon/renegade option him every time you meet him in the game to get the final check at the end.

Yeah you, and the one on Thessia is really easy to miss if you just choose the right "lets advance the conversation" rather than the left "give me more info" thing. I'm pouring through giddeb's editor trying to find a way to fix it.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Internet Kraken posted:

:psyduck: Every single one? And they do this regardless of what you did at the trial in Mass Effect 2? That's ridiculous.

They decided to start a war with the Geth despite full knowledge of the coming Reaper invasion.

Which is why I wouldn't feel bad about wiping them out. They manage to take the bad idea crown in a galaxy full of selfish, ridiculous races with bad ideas.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

So, basically an asari vanguard who gives absolutely no fucks, charges at and punches out heavy mechs just like her dad used to. :3::black101:

Given how long they live I hope we get to meet a character like this in a potential sequel if the imported save game justifies it. IIRC Bioware told us to hold onto our ME3 saves because they'll count for something.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

DerDestroyer posted:

Maybe none of the council races will actually develop synthetic life and instead some random unknown race living in a chain of star systems not hooked up to a mass relay does. All of a sudden you get this massive swarm of Von Neuman machines consuming the entire galaxy Lexx style and no one could've predicted it, not even the reapers.

See, this also probably means that for the series to be coherent, there's an analogue for the reapers in every galaxy, since every galaxy would be believed to sustain life. Or perhaps the Reapers cull a lot of different galaxies with life and they just do it on a specific rotation. Perhaps inter-galactic travel is not possible, rendering that possibility moot? The scale of the universe is mind-boggling in almost every sci-fi series.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I know everyone is not pleased about the endings but I really hated how Morinth just randomly appears.. It was just like "oh hey remember this character. Did I miss something?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Strange Matter posted:

Also, my Vanguard is now officially using only a single weapon: The Graal Spike Launcher. Dear god. I don't even care that I wind up with only +175% recharge speed, nothing compares to how satisfying that weapon is. KCHOOOMPF.

Does that thing get better with upgrades? Because I was all excited to use it and then got hosed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh no! Tali Just killed herself by leaping off a cliff after I upgraded the geth, and I was too slow on the interrupt to save her.gently caress that, I'm replaying from my last save to see if I can save her. Though the Wiki says you can make peace between Geth and Quarians, but I cannot figure out how to do that

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

DerDestroyer posted:

It was pretty well established that the Reaper's approach was poo poo even from a utilitarian angle. It's filled with gaping plot holes like the one you mention.

The funny thing is it isn't that hard to write a really good utilitarian/humanist conflict story. They just...didn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you earn more than one "loyalty" power from squad members?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Does that thing get better with upgrades? Because I was all excited to use it and then got hosed.
I've got it to level 5 and it's pretty good on weight but I had to dump my sidearm for it. It's not pro-Vanguard strategy but I sort of don't care because it's so satisfying.

In general I have been very pleased as well as somewhat surprised by the variety of guns available in this game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Oh no! Tali Just killed herself by leaping off a cliff after I upgraded the geth, and I was too slow on the interrupt to save her.gently caress that, I'm replaying from my last save to see if I can save her. Though the Wiki says you can make peace between Geth and Quarians, but I cannot figure out how to do that

You need to have met a certain number of goals and have imported an ME2 save with them and/or do certain things in ME3. If you didn't import an ME2 save, it's impossible.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aphrodite posted:

Do you earn more than one "loyalty" power from squad members?
At least Vega and EDI give you two, not sure about the others.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I know everyone is not pleased about the endings but I really hated how Morinth just randomly appears.. It was just like "oh hey remember this character. Did I miss something?
What? I got a few letters from her but I never saw her. When does she show up?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm at the ending, which is the ending that allows shepard to live? That's the one I want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

You need to have met a certain number of goals and have imported an ME2 save with them and/or do certain things in ME3. If you didn't import an ME2 save, it's impossible.

Its an imported ME2 save that I rewrote the Heretics programing and such.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

tehllama posted:

It was pretty well established that the Reaper's approach was poo poo even from a utilitarian angle. It's filled with gaping plot holes like the one you mention.

Not necessarily, the game mentions in some codex entries related to the Arrival DLC that some revelations made by researchers reveal that only a handful of Mass Relays were created 50,000 years prior (or by the protheans as they thought), the rest dated back further in time, some in the millions of years. Based on that, the reapers have probably charted every single star system in the galaxy, along with their planets, and they just choose to build Mass Relays near habitable planets that are developing/can develop life. So at the end of the prothean cycle, the reapers built some more relays (the 50,000 year old ones) in some habitable planets with emergent sentient life.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One thing the series has done is make me appreciate Admiral Hackett more with each game. In the first one he gives you some missions and compliments you on how much of a badass you are. In the second one, he tells you that he'll back you up in the coming trial and that you deserve a medal. In this one, He automatically takes your word for everything, backs you up, compliments you and is overall just awesome. :black101:

pepperburg
Dec 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm at the ending, which is the ending that allows shepard to live? That's the one I want.

The Red/Anderson/Destroy choice while obtaining whatever threshold of war assets.

More Ending:

So why is the Normandy destroyed in the end? If it was the relay that caused its destruction I imagine it would affect the entire system as well? Can we assume then the Alliance/Turian fleet along with all the Quarians in the Sol System are similarly destroyed?

Or is it really just some dumb plot device to have the crew inexplicably stranded? It makes about as much sense as my squad at Hammer being on the Normandy. :psyduck:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

pepperburg posted:

Or is it really just some dumb plot device to have the crew inexplicably stranded? It makes about as much sense as my squad at Hammer being on the Normandy. :psyduck:

This. Even if you have no problem with the logic/principle of the endings, this is just hosed up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The ending aside, I really wish they had put more thought into the pacing. Starting out on Earth seems like a good idea, but it introduces urgency that doesn't really sustain while Shepard is dumpster-diving throughout the galaxy. I think it would have been better if they'd started out smaller then built it up a bit more.

In an ideal world:

Similar opening same opening on the Batarian homeworld. Shepard is there for some Spectre business when the Reapers blot out the sky. Shepard gets out, sounds the alarm, but noone gives a gently caress about the Batarians. Anderson directs Shepard to build an army before its too late. Loss.

-Krogan arc (Motivation to help Mordin recruit Salarians/Krogan) One reaper, big goddamn deal, killed by worm. Victory.
-Turian subplot (Reapers on the move again watch the Turian Fleet get hosed, rescue the leadership. Loss.
-Geth/Quarian arc One reaper, kill it ourselves. Victory.
*(Wrap up the minigames here)*
-Citadel Siege
-Shepard moved back to Earth for trial. Now the reapers hit Earth.
-Asari Arc
-Cerebus Arc
-Final Battle

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Its an imported ME2 save that I rewrote the Heretics programing and such.

Then you might be in trouble.

You need at least 5 points and high rep.

Destroying the heretics: +2
Rewriting: 0
Tali not exiled: +2
Peace between Legion and Tali in ME2: +1
Complete the sidequest with the crashed quarian admiral: +1
Saved the admiral: +1

If you didn't activate Legion or Tali was exiled, peace isn't possible.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Ham posted:

See, this also probably means that for the series to be coherent, there's an analogue for the reapers in every galaxy, since every galaxy would be believed to sustain life. Or perhaps the Reapers cull a lot of different galaxies with life and they just do it on a specific rotation. Perhaps inter-galactic travel is not possible, rendering that possibility moot? The scale of the universe is mind-boggling in almost every sci-fi series.

Well given that the Mass Effect universe for practical purposes exists in a modified version of our universe, even the scale and longevity of the reapers looks pretty insignificant on an extra-galactic level. There are something like 300 sextillion (3E23) stars in the universe spread across 200+ billion galaxies and possibly infinite space. If someone somewhere invents some truly unstoppable Von Nuemann machines we're all truly well and hosed and better just hope we die before they get here or that the gulfs between galaxies are truly uncrossable (though given the way the mass relays work, there's no reason to think they are).

Ham posted:

Not necessarily, the game mentions in some codex entries related to the Arrival DLC that some revelations made by researchers reveal that only a handful of Mass Relays were created 50,000 years prior (or by the protheans as they thought), the rest dated back further in time, some in the millions of years. Based on that, the reapers have probably charted every single star system in the galaxy, along with their planets, and they just choose to build Mass Relays near habitable planets that are developing/can develop life. So at the end of the prothean cycle, the reapers built some more relays (the 50,000 year old ones) in some habitable planets with emergent sentient life.

Even the milky way contains something like 400 billion stars and is 120,000 light years wide. I believe the reapers move at something like 60 light years a day, so unless there's far more of them than they revealed it doesn't seem conceivable that they could actually keep tabs on every star system in the galaxy even with 40,000 years in between cycles.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

pepperburg posted:

The Red/Anderson/Destroy choice while obtaining whatever threshold of war assets.

More Ending:

So why is the Normandy destroyed in the end? If it was the relay that caused its destruction I imagine it would affect the entire system as well? Can we assume then the Alliance/Turian fleet along with all the Quarians in the Sol System are similarly destroyed?

Because

Nope no reason. Just because.

That's why everyone is feeling so angry about this. That whole stretch is just because.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

pepperburg posted:

The Red/Anderson/Destroy choice.

More Ending:

The Catalyst says that all technology would be destroyed. He even mentions that Shep has tech inside of him, and he might die also. So in essence, everyone that is on a ship or is alive due to machines would die. No clue as to why the Normandy was traveling away from the battle while everything was going on though. Also my squad members (that should have died on Earth), were on the Normandy for some reason.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care
Did anyone else get the inception ending?

Blew up reapers, normandy crashes, door cracks open a tiny bit then goes to slide fully open and BOOM FADE TO BLACK WHO IS ON THE SHIP WHAT THE gently caress DID MY ENTIRE SQUAD DIE? Is every character I've grown to like over the past 5 years literally dead? What is going on? :(

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Did anyone else get the inception ending?

Blew up reapers, normandy crashes, door cracks open a tiny bit then goes to slide fully open and BOOM FADE TO BLACK WHO IS ON THE SHIP WHAT THE gently caress DID MY ENTIRE SQUAD DIE? Is every character I've grown to like over the past 5 years literally dead? What is going on? :(

Not enough War Assets. If you have more than enough people will come out of it.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

tehllama posted:

Even the milky way contains something like 400 billion stars and is 120,000 light years wide. I believe the reapers move at something like 60 light years a day, so unless there's far more of them than they revealed it doesn't seem conceivable that they could actually keep tabs on every star system in the galaxy even with 40,000 years in between cycles.

Considering the timescale for evolution of life, they probably wouldn't miss a new sentient species rising anyway, being meticulously driven to accomplish their task.

Romes128 posted:

The Catalyst says that all technology would be destroyed. He even mentions that Shep has tech inside of him, and he might die also. So in essence, everyone that is on a ship or is alive due to machines would die. No clue as to why the Normandy was traveling away from the battle while everything was going on though. Also my squad members (that should have died on Earth), were on the Normandy for some reason.

I don't believe this is true, The destroy option only destroys synthetic life that can think for itself. It specifically mentions the geth, but nothing abot destroying all technology or anything like that.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Just finished.

gently caress OFF bioware seriously that was awful. god drat

those endings felt like fanfiction written about the mass effect universe they were so bad. it would have been so easy to write a decent ending and there were some awesomely written and genuinely moving sequences in this game to boot (mordin, grunt, etc) and this is the best they can poo poo out? i don't really know what to say

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ham posted:

Wow, how did that now show up in my searches? In that case, it does make a lot of sense as does Shepard's response to the Catalyst explaining that.

But in that case--and as Dolash's posts hint at--the options presented to Shepard then don't make much sense either. Destroying current synthetic life doesn't preclude future synthetic life. Making Shepard into an AI god doesn't deal with synthetic superiority at all. At least synthesis makes sense in that synthetics won't destroy organics because they're one in the same. But that doesn't prevent a schism from forming in the organic-synthetic community and destruction arising from that, either. We learned in Legion's ME2 loyalty mission that even the geth were on a path of harming each other what with the heretics spying on the orthodox geth consensus.

And frankly, I have two points that I want to reply to.

First, Bioware's decision to make synthetic life always wipe out organic life is bullshit. But I can accept it as an SF trope. It just seems arbitrary to include here, especially since it is contrary to the theme of the whole game where unity and peace are possible against all odds. But whatever.

What really bugs me is that it feels manufactured. It's shoddy writing work that leaves no satisfaction and pulls something out of the proverbial rear end. One of the biggest themes in the game is harmonious interaction between synthetics and organics (geth/quarians, EDI/crew). I'm not ranting at you or any posters, just that it's stupid. It does give meaning to the synthesis option as a means to resolve the issue, but as a conclusion to the three games worth of conflict, it is just more like "oh, well, I guess that makes sense. How does this fit in with the past games?" It is a hard, jarring, unpleasant jolt out of the narrative you expect.

SF can get away with crazy, unforeseeable endings by building up to them. Asimov's Foundation series take us far off the expected course but it works because Seldon guides us through all these unexpected changes. Haldeman's Forever War is all over the map but it works because we've already accepted the effects of time dilation. Clarke's Childhood's End is an excellent work to look at in this case and it's end isn't really obvious, but despite the tragedy it works because that is the style we expect. ME3's ending might be fairly logically sound, but it makes no thematic sense in the context of the greater Mass Effect narrative and that's what pisses me off about it. If this were the direction we were going, we needed more cues throughout the game to let us accept the ultimate purpose of the reapers.

I apologize for word vomit, I'm just trying to process everything.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So is there a place to trade Mass Effect 3 saves for New Game Plus purposes?

I want to play again with sweet weapons, but I'd like to change my sex and class.

P.S. If anyone wants a Male Shep Vanguard that played through vanilla ME3 I can give that to you. It's basically like playing the game in a Fringesque alternate universe because you don't see Jack, Thane, Wrex, or Legion.. You also are forced into more interesting, if not more satisfying choices. Geth/Quarian: Choose one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Romes128 posted:

Pretty certain you misunderstood that. It implies that all synthetic life dies. Technology such as VIs, power relays, eezo cores etc are fine.

As for what happened to your squad-mates in my game I was quite clearly leading the charge and they were further behind me. It isn't hard to believe people assumed I was dead and retreated in the chaos.

• Locked thread