Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
While I'm by no means an expert on the Fate series (or Nau's works in general) the impression I got is that most people's opinions on the F/SN anime range from "nothing special" to "kinda poo poo". If you want to experience it, you really should try to read the VN.

On the other hand, the first episode of F/Z spoils like 80% of the plot points in F/SN anyway, so you're kind of already screwed on that end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bruc posted:

I have avoided reading the thread beyond the OP due to spoiler warnings in it, but would I be better served watching this first or the Fate/stay the night anime first?. I watched the first episode of this and enjoyed it enough that I will likely watch both at some point anyhow, but have no desire to play the game or read any of the novels.
It's worth watching at least a few episodes of the original Fate/Stay Night anime just to get a feel for how different in tone and production the two stories/anime are. Also the first few episodes are pretty well animated so they're nice to watch.

Golden Battler posted:

On the other hand, the first episode of F/Z spoils like 80% of the plot points in F/SN anyway, so you're kind of already screwed on that end.
It doesn't really spoil anything important. And if you're in this thread you've probably gotten the general gist of whatever the first few episodes of FSN could spoil.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The F/SN anime isn't that bad up to the point where it starts mashing all the routes together. I didn't understand the dislike people had for it until then, but after I'd seen that and read the VN it made perfect sense.

Also even if it didn't, it's primarily based on the weakest route.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bruc posted:

I have avoided reading the thread beyond the OP due to spoiler warnings in it, but would I be better served watching this first or the Fate/stay the night anime first?. I watched the first episode of this and enjoyed it enough that I will likely watch both at some point anyhow, but have no desire to play the game or read any of the novels.

Then you might as well not even bother, since you refuse to pick up the proper versions of the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can watch Fate/Zero and enjoy it without experiencing Fate/stay night, but the result will be that some references/allusions will be lost on you and Zero will wind up spoiling many twists from FSN.

As for the FSN anime, you're better off either with the visual novel or not bothering at all.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Instead of the VN just read the LP that someone here did, it saves you a lot of trouble getting a copy of the game and the translation patch and all that.

http://fsn.seorinwastaken.com/archive/

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys I guess I will check that LP out.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Bruc posted:

Also if you want, you can also check out the archive of that LP forum posts so you can read it along with the SA goon's reaction.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088127

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Randomzx posted:

Also if you want, you can also check out the archive of that LP forum posts so you can read it along with the SA goon's reaction.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088127

I might actually not recommend doing that considering all the wink wink nudge nudge poo poo that goes on in LP.

Rodyle posted:

Honestly, the LP is a bad way to go about things. Seorin's constant interjections just ruin the atmosphere and take you out of things. He's a lot better about in FSN than he was with Tsukihime but still.

As I remember his lp, he stops doing it nearly as much for UBW and especially HF, though I may be misremembering.

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 1, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bruc posted:

Honestly, the LP is a bad way to go about things. Seorin's constant interjections just ruin the atmosphere and take you out of things. He's a lot better about in FSN than he was with Tsukihime but still.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
He pretty much only says anything in Fate, because Fate is hilariously terrible at times.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

It's an LP, not a text dump. I liked his additions.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

Hikarusa posted:

I might actually not recommend doing that considering all the wink wink nudge nudge poo poo that goes on in LP.

Yeah, this. I can't believe how lax they were about spoilers back then; half the pages where black bars or just WELL I DON'T KNOW, MAYBE THAT COULD HAPPEN :smug: stuff that ruined a lot of twists when I was just skimming in between updates.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but it looks like season 2 is going to start on April 7!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

victorisham posted:

Sorry for the double post, but it looks like season 2 is going to start on April 7!

The Highway to the Danger Zone is 31 days long.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Sanguinia posted:

The Highway to the Danger Zone is 31 days long.

Ace Combat Zero's Zero is the ONLY proper song for that wait. :colbert:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

victorisham posted:

A week before my birthday, nice early birthday present.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
So apparently, the blu-rays are out. With it comes a translated booklet containing several interviews with various members of the ufotable staff regarding the many aspects of the Fate/Zero adaptation.

If you've got a wallet to burn (or just google the scans), I recommend that you guys read it, because it's a really fascinating read. It also contains story details about the second season (not explicit enough to spoil anything, but enough info for LN readers to figure out what's being referred to).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
We need to get some countdown hype going. I haven't been this excited from a hiatus since Avatar: TLA, Book 3.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Tell me, please, that whoever made that picture has done so for the . . . future battle scenes as well. Please.

Heck, where did that pic come from?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Evader posted:

Tell me, please, that whoever made that picture has done so for the . . . future battle scenes as well. Please.

Heck, where did that pic come from?

This artist. (Warning: Danbooru, may be nsfw).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the only other Fate one by that artist it seems...

Pretty good though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Let the countdown continue! (This is actually my desktop right now.)

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Do you have a larger version of that picture?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FrantzX posted:

Once again, Danbooru, may be NSFW

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FrantzX posted:

Here's the 1440x900 I use.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
By the way, there's going to be a Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya anime. I wonder if they are planning to make a TV series or simply an OVA. I'd imagine the latter since I doubt this manga is popular enough to warrant a TV series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's probably got enough of a market given the popularity of Fate and Nanoha.

That said I personally think Prisma Ilya is kind of boring aside of the fight scenes and Irisviel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Day 3 with something a little less epic and a little more oh snap:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Factor_VIII posted:

By the way, there's going to be a Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya anime. I wonder if they are planning to make a TV series or simply an OVA. I'd imagine the latter since I doubt this manga is popular enough to warrant a TV series.

So who's going to do this? I would image the guys who did CP would be perfect for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rodyle posted:

It's probably got enough of a market given the popularity of Fate and Nanoha.

That said I personally think Prisma Ilya is kind of boring aside of the fight scenes and Irisviel.

I think it's pretty hilarious myself :ohdear: I'd like an OVA.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
almost there.....

almost...........

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Factor_VIII posted:

Will it contain actual words?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Holy Queef posted:

almost there.....

almost...........

Fate/Zero Season 2: The Ever Distant Utopia

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Weiter weiter...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

victorisham posted:

I can't wait for this poo poo to get rolling again, it's been a hell of a long wait. It's odd that we all know exactly how this ends but it still manages to be a really good anime.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Fenrir posted:

I can't wait for this poo poo to get rolling again, it's been a hell of a long wait. It's odd that we all know exactly how this ends but it still manages to be a really good anime.

Yeah, it's fun seeing what fills in the gaps between what we know of the inevitable conclusion. I'm super excited for April now, new Games of Thrones and new Fate/Zero airing! :suspense:

The bluray screenshots going around look nice, too. I love all the little details they had the chance to tune up and add in (like more blonde students for whatever reason).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

victorisham posted:

Yeah, it's fun seeing what fills in the gaps between what we know of the inevitable conclusion. I'm super excited for April now, new Games of Thrones and new Fate/Zero airing! :suspense:

The bluray screenshots going around look nice, too. I love all the little details they had the chance to tune up and add in (like more blonde students for whatever reason).

I just got the BD box set in the mail today. The series is absolutely gorgeous.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

victorisham posted:

bluray

That's hilarious. I actually gave them props for showing a realistically diverse student body for a London school. Then they had to go and gently caress it up anime style. I still remember explaining to my German friends that in anime German = Red Hair and American = Blonde Hair; and they flipped the gently caress out.

Continuing the countdown:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Two for one since I missed yesterday:

• Locked thread