Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
So this week's USM introduced Ultimate Nova

:v:

Threep fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if that means that something is going to be happening with Nova/the cosmic cube over in the 616, as those kinds of background jokes are usually directly referencing something in the 616 when Bendis uses them in USM.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Well, a new Nova is set to appear in the Avengers vs. X-Men/Phoenix event.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kaleidoscope posted:

Well, a new Nova is set to appear in the Avengers vs. X-Men/Phoenix event.

A Nova introduced by Loeb

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bobkatt013 posted:

A Nova introduced by Loeb

Named Sam

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dacap posted:

Named Sam

I'm already feeling inspired by his plucky determination and wisdom beyond his years.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Looks like the long-denied Ultimate/616 crossover may actually be happening in a few months:

quote:

This June - history will be made for the Marvel Universe.

SPIDER-MEN #1
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Art by SARA PICHELLI
Cover by JIM CHEUNG
ON SALE THIS JUNE!

It's by the initial USM Vol. 3 creative team, the previous teaser featured both Peter's and Miles' Spider-logos, the book doesn't have "Ultimate" in the title, it refers to the "Marvel Universe" rather than Ultimate, and Bendis has been teasing some big event story involving Miles Morales for a few months now. It could still be some kind of fakeout, but right now, it does look like they've run out of ideas (to paraphrase Quesada).

Ribbing aside, I'm not against the idea of a 616/Ultimate crossover as long as the story is good, and a Parker/Morales team-up has much better story potential than, say, Avengers vs. Ultimates. It'd work better six months or a year from now after Miles has had a longer solo run, but gotta tie in with that Andrew Garfield movie, I suppose.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Last time they did this was the introduction to the zombies. Also Bendis was one who did say that their would be no crossovers.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Bendis was one who did say that their would be no crossovers.

"Dead means dead".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Last time they did this was the introduction to the zombies. Also Bendis was one who did say that their would be no crossovers.
"No Carnage story"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Bendis also denies that the Ultimate Universe is a part of the Marvel Multiverse.

But, you know, editorial mandates.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uh it's pretty obviously Ultimate Peter coming back. It could also be some kind of fakeout, but Ultimate Peter returning is a billion times more likely than a 616 crossover. Plus, instead of having Ultimate in the title proper, the books are now under the Ultimate Comics imprint.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Lurdiak posted:

Uh it's pretty obviously Ultimate Peter coming back. It could also be some kind of fakeout, but Ultimate Peter returning is a billion times more likely than a 616 crossover. Plus, instead of having Ultimate in the title proper, the books are now under the Ultimate Comics imprint.

You could be right but I can't think of any Ultimate Comics that don't have the word "Ultimate" in the title.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

You could be right but I can't think of any Ultimate Comics that don't have the word "Ultimate" in the title.

I can:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I can:

Um.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I can:

That comic is named "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" is it not?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
It's actually going to come out of left field with Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield going on a killing spree across the nation ending in New York where they watch that Spider-man play and shoot everyone involved. It's going to be a cross between Natural Born Killers and Fear and Loathing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

That comic is named "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" is it not?

I would have said it's "Spider-man" under the Ultimate Comics imprint but I guess it's solicited as Ultimate Comics Spider-man so ????. Either way, I stand by my "Ultimate Peter coming back" thing until proven otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Happy Hippo posted:

Bendis also denies that the Ultimate Universe is a part of the Marvel Multiverse.

But, you know, editorial mandates.

When did he last deny that? Because he wrote a scene in the Infinity Gems arc of Avengers that pretty clearly depicted the exact opposite.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

I would have said it's "Spider-man" under the Ultimate Comics imprint but I guess it's solicited as Ultimate Comics Spider-man so ????. Either way, I stand by my "Ultimate Peter coming back" thing until proven otherwise.

Proof: Neither Spider-Man silhouette's head is nearly big enough or round enough to be Ultimate Peter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

There's also the whole thing that the current story in USM is about how Miles got his powers because there was more than one test spider at Oscorp. They could be adding another new Spider-man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm leaning to 616 crossover. I don't believe for one second they're bringing Ultimate Peter back. I'm thinking 616 Pete meets Miles. And I'm actually all for it. But only because it's Miles. Wouldn't have really felt right to me if it were Ultimate Peter crossing into 616. But I see it working with Miles. I also think doing it so soon with Miles is the way to go if you're going to do it. It helps his growing process even more. I'm very much looking forward to it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Deadpool posted:

I'm leaning to 616 crossover. I don't believe for one second they're bringing Ultimate Peter back. I'm thinking 616 Pete meets Miles. And I'm actually all for it. But only because it's Miles. Wouldn't have really felt right to me if it were Ultimate Peter crossing into 616. But I see it working with Miles. I also think doing it so soon with Miles is the way to go if you're going to do it. It helps his growing process even more. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I really liked Ultimate Peter dying, and bringing in the new guy. I really hope they make it a thing that Ultimate Peter is Dead and will not come back. Especially not so soon.

616/Ultimate crossover would be ok if handled well. Spider-Man with Miles is probably the one good one I can think of anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would really undermine Miles as a character if they brought Ultimate Peter back so quickly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only way I see it being Ultimate Peter coming back is if this was something they were planning before the change in case the book started to tank sales wise they would have an out. Has it been tanking sales wise?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheJoker138 posted:

The only way I see it being Ultimate Peter coming back is if this was something they were planning before the change in case the book started to tank sales wise they would have an out. Has it been tanking sales wise?

Not really, seems to be about the same.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Since Miles blames himself for not doing anything when Peter died, it will be interesting to see his reaction to adult major league hero Peter

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Barry Convex posted:

No bearing on anything, but the anatomy of the bottom silhouette was really throwing me off. At first glance, it looked like the top half of the torso and the bottom half were facing in opposite directions. The top half looked like the back and back of head based on the position of the arms/head/elbows, and the bottom half looked like the front based on the bend of the knees and way the feet are pointing. So, to me it looked like his top half was swinging away from the viewer, and the bottom was swinging towards the viewer. Now it's hard for me to un-see.
:psyduck:

VVVV I was definitely reminded of that.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 10, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Madrox posted:

No bearing on anything, but the anatomy of the bottom silhouette was really throwing me off. At first glance, it looked like the top half of the torso and the bottom half were facing in opposite directions. The top half looked like the back and back of head based on the position of the arms/head/elbows, and the bottom half looked like the front based on the bend of the knees and way the feet are pointing. So, to me it looked like his top half was swinging away from the viewer, and the bottom was swinging towards the viewer. Now it's hard for me to un-see.
:psyduck:

Spider-

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I love the cover to this months USM. It continues the fine Marvel tradition of having poo poo on your cover that has literally no bearing at all on what's inside the book.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Spider-

I know it can go both ways, I've seen it do that. But doesn't the shadow on the bottom only correlate to one direction?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I think a cool story would be if 616 Peter got stuck in the Ultimate Universe and before he went back he helped Miles be Spider-Man. But it will never happen of course.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I think a cool story would be if 616 Peter got stuck in the Ultimate Universe and before he went back he helped Miles be Spider-Man. But it will never happen of course.

This is my vote. Or Miles gets trapped in 616 and teaches Peter something. I want something properly hokey and 'passing of the torch' drat it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Casao posted:

This is my vote. Or Miles gets trapped in 616 and teaches Peter something. I want something properly hokey and 'passing of the torch' drat it.

616 Peter catches the unconscious Human Torch after he's blown away by a villain, and tosses him at Miles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Miles meets Newspaper Spider-man and teaches him how to read. It is an after school special on illiteracy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Miles meets Ultimate Andrew Garfield when they make a sequel to the in-universe Spider-Man movie.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

Miles meets Ultimate Andrew Garfield when they make a sequel to the in-universe Spider-Man movie.
Now I'm hoping for this

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

No he meets Ultimate Donald Glover

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Couldn't see him as Spider-Man and now he's spittin venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

It would really undermine Miles as a character if they brought Ultimate Peter back so quickly.

I was madly in love with the "house full of teenage superheroes" thing in USM, but you're right. Ultimate Peter really shouldn't come back. It's a drat shame that Johnny and Bobby seem to have been turned into background in UXM. :(

• Locked thread