Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I was lucky enough to be with other people who ordered it Dordogne region and they boiled it after stuffing it with itself and according to those who ate it as if it hadn't been properly washed.

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Just came back from a camping trip with some local foodstuff. Anyone have any experience on cooking alligator meat? Just treat it like chicken? Can I do anything with it besides frying?

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I got an enameled lodge 6 qt Dutch oven, should I just return it and get the 8 qt? I figure I can use it as a stock pot as well. Any reason to not go bigger?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Will do! I actually only eat venison and I am always looking for new recipes. Should have some thawed out and maybe I'll try one of the recipes tomorrow :)

I'm not sure what kind of noodles to use though. I'm not quite up to the challenge of making my own pasta (don't have a machine or anything) but I bought a package of those Reame's egg noodles from the grocery store.
Well we just had COOK OR DIE: DUMPLING edition so might I suggest making venison stroganoff dumpings?

Make you some gyoza dough by following the recipe on the GWS wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Gyoza_by_GodsMullet

Fill it with some shredded venison, steam 'em up, and use the mushroom gravy or whatever over the top of that. Fun little variant, could be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence.

I was trying not specifically say what Andouilette is as to not give it away. It ended up pretty roundabout. Just that in certain parts of France even the locals aren't huge fans

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

2508084 posted:

Isn't there a thread about preparing/eating organ meats? I just realized that I've had a "ewww liver" stance without ever actually eating any of it.. ever. And thats really dumb because it may be delicious and I'm missing out. Its also jam packed with vitamins and minerals (yay health!). Tripe freaks me out on a visual level though. I might work up to it one day :unsmith:

If you're going to ease in, heart and tongue are both delicious and easily approachable. Liver is also nothing to be afraid of. I would start with goose or chicken liver first, as they are the mildest, then pork, then eventually beef. Beef has the strongest minerally flavor, so I'd save it for last. Deep fried sweetbreads are quite possibly the easiest offal to get behind, as they are pretty much like chicken nuggets.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Mountain. Oysters.

If you're into tough chewy meat.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Hey, I have a few quick questions.

Exactly how unhealthy or healthy are pesto and chicken feet?

Does anyone have any nice recipes for the former?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I love liverwurst, but don't like fried liver. Not big on fois gras either. I dunno.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Auuuuugh, another dense, "rustic" loaf of bread. Why can't I nail this? I want those wide open bubbles in the loaf and can't manage it. Process (for troubleshooting purposes) that I used:

20oz flour in 1:3 rye:bread ratio
12oz warm water (from the tap)
1/2t sugar (for the yeast to start)
1t yeast
2t kosher salt
1T olive oil

Let yeast bloom until I could smell it walking by (~10 min), mixed all ingredients together and kneaded into a ball, let rest while I did the dishes (~15 min). Floured work surface, kneaded for 20 full minutes (my wrists started hurting). Tossed with olive oil to coat and put it in a bowl with a lid on it and stuck in the fridge overnight. Didn't do much rising ~7 hours later, but I brought it with me to work (heh) and it doubled after warming up a little bit. Baked in a steamed oven at 375 for 30 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped from the bottom. The taste is awesome, but ugh, this crumb is too tight. edit: Baked it without forming it or punching it down; should I put it in a loaf pan?

scuz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Okay so I think I'm going to smoke a brisket this weekend. Thing is, I'm bored of the usual faux-tex mex rub I usually do. Someone give me an interesting one.
For beef brisket? Don't tart it up. Save that for poultry (where you can use the extra flavour) or pork (where you usually want to throw in some sweetness to balance the flavours). For beef brisket (and really for beef ribs) your basic rub starts out as equal parts salt, (black) pepper, and paprika. Whenever I say paprika in the bbq context, I'm talking about Hungarian hot paprika, not the bland sweetish poo poo on the sad little deviled eggs at the church potluck.

The basic flavour knobs you want to turn on a beef rub are usually: the heat, which you can up by adding chili powder (in this I include cayenne, chipotle, and so on); earthiness, which you usually get out of cumin---get some seeds, roast them, and then crush them in a mortar and pestle if you really want to add more complex, darker flavours; and the various aromatics, which you're going to use powders for in a rub---garlic powder is in most rubs, but onion powder, celery powder/celery salt and so on are also pretty common. You can also add additional stuff like rosemary or marjoram or whatever, but then you're getting off into pretty fancy poo poo for a beef rub.

I'd say start out with something like a 1:1:1 mix of salt, pepper, and paprika. To this add the other stuff starting at about a half a part, and play it from there. So like a half a cup each of salt, black pepper, and paprika, and a quarter cup each of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. My personal preference would be to add more chili powder and less cumin and garlic, but your preference may be different.

I also wouldn't blush to use just the 1:1:1 mix of salt, pepper, and paprika as a rub by itself. At least on a smoked brisket. It really doesn't want to be complicated.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Hey, I have a few quick questions.

Exactly how unhealthy or healthy are pesto and chicken feet?

Does anyone have any nice recipes for the former?

Depends on your definition of "healthy." Pesto is highly caloric but has vitamins and poo poo, chicken feet are fatty but small.

This recipe is a pretty good representation of the basic premise of pesto. I make mine less cheesy and less garlicky, but that's just my taste.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

2508084 posted:

Isn't there a thread about preparing/eating organ meats? I just realized that I've had a "ewww liver" stance without ever actually eating any of it.. ever. And thats really dumb because it may be delicious and I'm missing out. Its also jam packed with vitamins and minerals (yay health!). Tripe freaks me out on a visual level though. I might work up to it one day :unsmith:

I think working organ meat into dishes you already make is a good way to get into this, rather than just a "Hey, a big ol' liver on a plate!". Using the livers and giblets from the birds you roast in making gravies is a good way to introduce these flavors.

Otherwise this recipe right here is extremely good and works the liver into what's an already great sauce. It's an excellent, supremely earthy and filling pasta sauce.

You can also omit the veal and add more herbs and use it as an amazing crostini topping.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scuz posted:

Auuuuugh, another dense, "rustic" loaf of bread. Why can't I nail this? I want those wide open bubbles in the loaf and can't manage it. Process (for troubleshooting purposes) that I used:

20oz flour in 1:3 rye:bread ratio
12oz warm water (from the tap)
1/2t sugar (for the yeast to start)
1t yeast
2t kosher salt
1T olive oil

Let yeast bloom until I could smell it walking by (~10 min), mixed all ingredients together and kneaded into a ball, let rest while I did the dishes (~15 min). Floured work surface, kneaded for 20 full minutes (my wrists started hurting). Tossed with olive oil to coat and put it in a bowl with a lid on it and stuck in the fridge overnight. Didn't do much rising ~7 hours later, but I brought it with me to work (heh) and it doubled after warming up a little bit. Baked in a steamed oven at 375 for 30 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped from the bottom. The taste is awesome, but ugh, this crumb is too tight. edit: Baked it without forming it or punching it down; should I put it in a loaf pan?

You're hydration rate is too low for big open crumb. 12 oz water / 20 oz flour = 60% hydration. Here, this is a great resource: http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

Anyway, try increasing the water to get about 75% hydration. Open crumb should come in boatloads.

Edit: this resource is awesome, I haven't used a bread recipe in ages. I just put a cambro on a scale, tare, add flour, tare, add water to get desired hydration level, add yeast, salt, mix through with a spatula, and let rise for 16 hrs.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 9, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

You're hydration rate is too low for big open crumb. 12 oz water / 20 oz flour = 60% hydration. Here, this is a great resource: http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

Anyway, try increasing the water to get about 75% hydration. Open crumb should come in boatloads.

Edit: this resource is awesome, I haven't used a bread recipe in ages. I just put a cambro on a scale, tare, add flour, tare, add water to get desired hydration level, add yeast, salt, mix through with a spatula, and let rise for 16 hrs.
Yikes, an hour went by already. That site is phenomenal, thanks for the tip!

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
On a whim, I bought a can of whole guavas in syrup. Similar to this: http://www.thelatinproducts.com/san-marcos-whole-guavas-in-syrup-26-oz/

So... What the heck can I do with it? Looking for ideas before I crack it open.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

For beef brisket? Don't tart it up. Save that for poultry (where you can use the extra flavour) or pork (where you usually want to throw in some sweetness to balance the flavours). For beef brisket (and really for beef ribs) your basic rub starts out as equal parts salt, (black) pepper, and paprika. Whenever I say paprika in the bbq context, I'm talking about Hungarian hot paprika, not the bland sweetish poo poo on the sad little deviled eggs at the church potluck.

The basic flavour knobs you want to turn on a beef rub are usually: the heat, which you can up by adding chili powder (in this I include cayenne, chipotle, and so on); earthiness, which you usually get out of cumin---get some seeds, roast them, and then crush them in a mortar and pestle if you really want to add more complex, darker flavours; and the various aromatics, which you're going to use powders for in a rub---garlic powder is in most rubs, but onion powder, celery powder/celery salt and so on are also pretty common. You can also add additional stuff like rosemary or marjoram or whatever, but then you're getting off into pretty fancy poo poo for a beef rub.

I'd say start out with something like a 1:1:1 mix of salt, pepper, and paprika. To this add the other stuff starting at about a half a part, and play it from there. So like a half a cup each of salt, black pepper, and paprika, and a quarter cup each of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. My personal preference would be to add more chili powder and less cumin and garlic, but your preference may be different.

I also wouldn't blush to use just the 1:1:1 mix of salt, pepper, and paprika as a rub by itself. At least on a smoked brisket. It really doesn't want to be complicated.

Yeah well, that's boring, I can do a normal brisket any day.

Did a 5 spice rub and gonna do a hoisin/chili/garlic mop sauce. Smoke over applewood. Should be pretty tastay.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Geodude posted:

On a whim, I bought a can of whole guavas in syrup. Similar to this: http://www.thelatinproducts.com/san-marcos-whole-guavas-in-syrup-26-oz/

So... What the heck can I do with it? Looking for ideas before I crack it open.

Guava adds a really nice flavour to a homemade BBQ sauce/marinade, good excuse to buy some ribs in and have a sticky feast!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
A few recipe requests:

I picked up a pork shoulder after seeing a carnita recipe around here, but I can't seem to find? A link would be wonderful sirs and madams.

I also snagged some flash frozen shark and mahi mahi.

Found this list for shark, wondering if anything is good:
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-7-most-delicious-shark-recipes/joanne

Definitely looking for personal recommendations though.

I also got fresh catfish for lunch today :thumbsup:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I also snagged some flash frozen shark and mahi mahi.

Found this list for shark, wondering if anything is good:
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-7-most-delicious-shark-recipes/joanne

Definitely looking for personal recommendations though.

I love to eat shark. I tend to broil/bake the steaks like I do my swordfish, very simply. I line a pan with foil, grease it with some non-stick spray and then set the fish on the pan. I then throw some herbs on it, (usually something like tarragon/parsley etc), sprinkle some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Dot with some butter and cook away...usually about 10 mins per inch seems to be right (for baking). I think its about 375 or 400 that I baked it at. It's simple and good, and you get the taste of the shark shining through. After its out of the oven, my husband likes to put a bit of lemon on it. I don't care for lemon that much tho, I like it just plain and simple because its such a good tasting fish.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Dangphat posted:

Guava adds a really nice flavour to a homemade BBQ sauce/marinade, good excuse to buy some ribs in and have a sticky feast!

Yes -- one of the "classicly awesome" CIA recipes is for a guava-paste based bbq sauce.. it takes heat really well, too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I know it's the middle of winter but firm fish like sword, shark, and mahi are well suited to grilling.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Yes -- one of the "classicly awesome" CIA recipes is for a guava-paste based bbq sauce.. it takes heat really well, too.

That is such a great sauce.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

I know it's the middle of winter but firm fish like sword, shark, and mahi are well suited to grilling.

I found grilled shark to be too dry, what did I do wrong

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cowcatcher posted:

I found grilled shark to be too dry, what did I do wrong

Probably overcooked it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably overcooked it.

Ok time to try again, got some spring temperatures coming up this weekend

I'll also pick up some mahi mahi because my wife loves it, any grilling recommendations for that one?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I made some pickled jalapenos a couple of weeks ago (just the kind to sit in the fridge, not be stored in a pantry until nuclear winter), and now they're almost gone. I want to make more and for some reason I think it might be a good idea to reuse the brine. I mean, it's just seasoned vinegar and water infused with jalapeno flavor... Should be fine, right?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

psychokitty posted:

I made some pickled jalapenos a couple of weeks ago (just the kind to sit in the fridge, not be stored in a pantry until nuclear winter), and now they're almost gone. I want to make more and for some reason I think it might be a good idea to reuse the brine. I mean, it's just seasoned vinegar and water infused with jalapeno flavor... Should be fine, right?

I would boil it, then taste to check for horrible flavour.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Speaking of pickling... I really like the spicy pickled carrots you can get at mexican joints in CA and what not, I tried to make them once and they ... were not good, does anyone have a trusted recipe for this? Perhaps Mr. Wiggles?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Do I need to shred pulled pork while it's warm? I want to cook it up tonight while I sleep, toss it in the fridge in the morning, and then tear it up after work tomorrow.

I know I could just cook it while I'm at work in the slow cooker, but honestly I have strange fears about leaning it running while I'm not home.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liar posted:

Do I need to shred pulled pork while it's warm? I want to cook it up tonight while I sleep, toss it in the fridge in the morning, and then tear it up after work tomorrow.

I know I could just cook it while I'm at work in the slow cooker, but honestly I have strange fears about leaning it running while I'm not home.

It will be much easier to shred when it's still hot/warm. Not saying it can't be done when it's cold but it might be a pain in the rear end. Nothing wrong with letting the slow cooker work on it all day while you're at work though!

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's definitely easier warm/hot.
Otherwise all that stuff (fat, collagen) that makes pulled pork so tender and juicy will re-solidify and you'll rip big shards and shelves of the stuff rather than be able to use fork tongs to, well, shred it when it's tender.

I mean, I suppose it's possible to properly shred it cold or even frozen with the right kind of equipment, but I mean really unless you're operating a food service operation, is that what you're shooting for?

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

So, I just harvest a metric shittonne of Kale, and have no idea what to do with it. Like, none at all. I was thinking perhaps a Kale and Feta filo pie or something? But surely someone has something far better.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Penguin Radar posted:

So, I just harvest a metric shittonne of Kale, and have no idea what to do with it. Like, none at all. I was thinking perhaps a Kale and Feta filo pie or something? But surely someone has something far better.

I love kale, it is a very versatile veg and is delicious. Off the top of my head: Colcannon, put it in soups (OG's zuppa toscana is very easy and actually pretty tasty), saute in brown butter, braise with bacon, dehydrate into chips, make a curry, stir fry in a noodle, or deep fry into pakora.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Penguin Radar posted:

I have recently (thanks to the thread) become a convert to kale in kimchi.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Penguin Radar posted:

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I could live on kale and caesar dressing for an indefinite period of time.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

One of my go-to pizzas is kale and onion.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

psychokitty posted:

I would use this to make a hot sauce, in the past I have made some tasty sauces from a shed load of scotch bonnets which I then boil in cider vinegar for a while, blend then pass through a muslin cloth. You could use your jalapeno liquor instead of or with the cider vinegar and it will give the hot sauce depth in flavor.

If you do this leave the hot sauce in a sterilised container in your fridge for a few months and it will intensify the flavor.

Oh and wear gloves.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

psychokitty posted:

I'd use it to make vaguely spicy catsup or bbq sauce.

FishBulb posted:

Speaking of pickling... I really like the spicy pickled carrots you can get at mexican joints in CA and what not, I tried to make them once and they ... were not good, does anyone have a trusted recipe for this? Perhaps Mr. Wiggles?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/firecrackers-recipe/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Turkeybone posted:

Well I think this settles it then. We've got unseasonably warm 70s weather, and a new grill here. I've found my Sunday adventure!

Thanks as always everyone