Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Unnamed One posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it just wipes out synthetic life and Reaper tech. Everything else survives.

Then again nothing is clear when it comes to the endings.

See, I think I missed that bit or horribly misinterpreted something. Shepard isn't a drat AI or VI though. Augmented, sure. But not a synthetic life-form. So when the god-child tells you you're going to die and it'll wipe off a ton of tech, I took it to mean straight up "sticks and stones" wipeout instead of "only synthetic life". Then the Normandy getting all hosed and crashing/the "someday you'll see the stars" bit as well. It didn't strike me as a "grow up and join the NEW SPACE MARINES (tm)" bit. It struck me as the galaxy being back in the stone age for however long time's passed and these stories being the only memory of a once-great galactic civ. Also, the fact that VIs are basically in everything everywhere in the universe. Isn't something like 99% of ship function controlled by some form of synthetic? VI is different from AI, but it's still a synthetic intelligence, so wiping all that poo poo out would at the very least cause a fuckton of ships to overload their drive-cores or whatever the gently caress and go supernova on the fleet, possibly all of them. I know the engineers mention balancing the drive core, etc a fair bit, but from what I understood most of the immediate poo poo/containment/normal reg is controlled by VIs because poo poo happens too fast for humans to really be able to handle it well.

I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong in any of this, but that's what I gathered from it. Also the idea posted above about the fevered dream from too much Turian liquor followed by a bunch of "Man what the gently caress did I do on the Hanar homeworld and why is Blasto suing me for child support" quests would be loving perfect.

Also, minor minor spoiler that you see the first time you go clubbin' Aria is awesome in this game and I really expected a lot more from her than the "talk to him to get +10 WE" bit and dragging your drunk rear end back to the couch when you inevitably pass out on the dance floor.

Seriously. There's so many decisions made in the game about well... everything. Quarians, Geth, Genophage... And none of it gets so much as a drat mention?

ED:

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

Would people actually be interested in a Broken Steel sort of ending dlc pack that changed it up?

Personally I'd gladly drop 10$ bucks easy.

Scummy as hell, but yes. Yes I would. Mentioned it above-drunk on Turian liquor, putting the post-win binge around the galaxy back together after waking up on Aria's couch in the worst part of the Terminus.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Side note on endings?

Apparently only the combine ending is super dumb, the control ending, if you max military strength ends with Sheppard surviving? So that could be arguably okay pending on interpretati-No, they blew up the mass gates, how the gently caress would society fix itself, I hate this so much!

I can normally mentally adjust anything to enjoy it, this is unconscionable. All that loving effort through 3 games and collecting the most badass dudes ever and:

transhumanism wooo

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

So has anyone gone to the upper bar in purgatory and had a few too many drinks yet?

If you haven't, you should.
Why? I just passed out and ended up on the couch next to Aria.

Am I missing something? She doesnt even say anything.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 10, 2012

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Pladdicus posted:

Side note on endings?

Apparently only the combine ending is super dumb, the control ending, if you max military strength ends with Sheppard surviving? So that could be arguably okay pending on interpretati-No, they blew up the mass gates, how the gently caress would society fix itself, I hate this so much!

I can normally mentally adjust anything to enjoy it, this is unconscionable. All that loving effort through 3 games and collecting the most badass dudes ever and:

transhumanism wooo

Yes.
If you cap 5000 Effective Assets (which requires multiplayer), there's a snippet after the credits of Shepard, in some rubble, taking a spastic breath. I'm pretty sure the assets lock in when you start the Cerberus Station mission.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Wait so you guys are saying that if you max your EMS Shepard survives the control ending as well?!.

For some reason after replaying the ending one more time (yes I'm a masochist) I couldn't get the song of the volga boatmen out of my head. For some reason I thought it had a certain irony to it that all your hard work in the past 3 games is rendered meaningless by the lovely ending.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 10, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Too Poetic posted:

Why? I just passed out and ended up on the couch next to Aria.

Am I missing something? She doesnt even say anything.

I guess I just found that funnier than you did. The look of disdain was pretty awesome.

pepperburg
Dec 6, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

Side note on endings?

transhumanism wooo

No, it is the destroy decision where you can live. Which, in my opinion is okay even counting a geth genocide. I already killed 300,000 batarians and wiped out the Rachni after I gave her a second chance. I came three games to murder the reapers and I mean to do it.

Anyway, with all the bitching about the end, Bioware is acknowledging that they are aware of the backlash, for whatever that's worth.

https://twitter.com/#!/Dranume01/status/178294761755652096

https://twitter.com/#!/JessicaMerizan/status/178297723433390080

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010
So it seems like a few new conversations/scenes appear on the Normandy every time you finish a sidequest (that requires landing on a planet) but new conversations/quests only appear on the Citadel after you finish a priority mission. Is that right?

I'm still at midgame or so, but in a weird way this thread has got me pumped to see this loving trainwreck of an ending. Are there any actual comments from Bioware acknowledging it was a mistake, or saying they plan to change it with DLC? It isn't like the DLC for DA2 addressed any fan complaints, although there it would be hard to know where to begin.

e: post above sorta answered that

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Naturally Selected posted:

Ending spoilers

IIRC VIs are just computers, maybe with some kind of fancy interface or overlay, whereas an actual AI, like EDI or the Geth are no-poo poo sentient beings, with 'emotions' and 'hopes' or whatever the beep-boop robot equivalent is. So the magical space ray that only wipes out synthetic life would only attack machines with sentience, not to include shipboard functions and other technology in that class, which are about as sophisticated as the equivalent desktop computer software, but of course more specialized.

Why, oh why did this have to be the ending to this series.

re-edit for typos

Mr. Samuel Shitley fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 10, 2012

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
Okay, this is now my head cannon
spoilers obviously

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

pepperburg posted:

No, it is the destroy decision where you can live. Which, in my opinion is okay even counting a geth genocide. I already killed 300,000 batarians and wiped out the Rachni after I gave her a second chance. I came three games to murder the reapers and I mean to do it.

Anyway, with all the bitching about the end, Bioware is acknowledging that they are aware of the backlash, for whatever that's worth.

https://twitter.com/#!/Dranume01/status/178294761755652096

https://twitter.com/#!/JessicaMerizan/status/178297723433390080

My shep created a world where all people live together in harmony. The Geth were rebuilding the homeworld for the Quarian and all was good. Also the Rachni were doin' good too.

Then I had to kill all the Geth to get the okay ending? Don't synthetics include machines? Toasters? VI's? The game draws such a dumb line for artificial intelligence. Dumb. Not a single accepting choice. :(

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Bioware better be ready with an official apology.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Drake Bate posted:

spoilers obviously

loving infinitely better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DerDestroyer posted:

You can choose from 3 endings with 50% readiness and about 6900 in War Assets the problem is you need at least 4000 readiness score to modify the Destroy everything ending so that Shepard comes out alive.

Wait, I could DO that? I kind of just assumed that Shepard was boned either way, so I went with the "merge" option; I figured that was the true paragon option, since I didn't want to destroy the Geth (not to mention EDI), and I didn't want to control anything.

I had a little under 6K in assets at 99% readiness, and I got the choice. How do I know that I've unlocked the "Shepard lives" ending? Do I just go to the blue side and take it on faith?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Black Bars

Spoilered cause there's a minor plot-point about EDI and I don't want to deal with nerd-rage. VIs are at least semi-sentient though. See: EDI was simply upgraded/unshackled from a rogue VI on Luna. poo poo, the very fact that VIs can go rogue and not just in the "wires got crossed". In game they seem to have decision-making ability far beyond what a "non-sentient" program could accomplish. Hence the whole point about having to build VIs with very veeery strict limits on them/VIs going all nasty bitch the minute someone plugs an extra memory chip into them, etc. And again, Shepharder not being a drat AI in the slightest-poo poo, the game tells you that you're not an AI/VI/Copy for two games straight! Augmented with poo poo and maybe some kind of VI for nerve control or something, but you're not Geth or reaper tech. You're just rebuilt and augmented. And the godkingchild explicitly tells you that since you're part "synthetic", the beam will take you out along with the Geth et al. The whole part in 2 and 3 with Miranda, Ashley and just the story keeps saying that Timmy-boy explicitly did not alter you or your brain with any kind of synthetic intelligence.

No really. The endings make zero loving sense and holy goddamn Bioware

Ed: And yup. That ending is leagues and leagues better than any of the current ones and *shocker* it doesn't even use new resources!

Taking all bets on Bioware just doing that and charging :tenbux: for it.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 10, 2012

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Drake Bate posted:

spoilers obviously

God that ending is 100% what I wanted, okay not 100%, but anything that retcons that loving bullshit is gold.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, I could DO that? I kind of just assumed that Shepard was boned either way, so I went with the "merge" option; I figured that was the true paragon option, since I didn't want to destroy the Geth (not to mention EDI), and I didn't want to control anything.

I had a little under 6K in assets at 99% readiness, and I got the choice. How do I know that I've unlocked the "Shepard lives" ending? Do I just go to the blue side and take it on faith?

Destroy is the red choice, not the blue. There's no indication that you unlock it until you get the cutscene, and it's only a few seconds long. You need 5k effective assets if you didn't have the final conversation with Anderson, 4k if you did.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Drake Bate posted:

spoilers obviously

Christ, even without adding anything new that's so much better. I admit, I'd like to have post-game slides just like Throne of Bhaal, but yea - this blows what we've got out of the water.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So can someone explain to me what Fortification does and what this purging armor business is all about? I'm trying to play Insanity Vanguard and something that helps me not instantly die would be pretty boss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they were to do a DLC pack that changes the ending, I'd want them to at least add something else. A new mission or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

Would people actually be interested in a Broken Steel sort of ending dlc pack that changed it up?

Personally I'd gladly drop 10$ bucks easy.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay Bioware to fix their horrible mistake. Broken Steel changed the Fallout 3 ending, but that wasn't the only thing it did. The plot wasn't as important as it allowing you to go back into the world and explore it even after beating the main quest, with new stuff added in. Bioware making a DLC that is basically just "an ending that is actually good" would be horribly scummy.

Frankly I'm not sure what way they should handle this mess. There's no good way to go about cleaning up a gently caress up this big.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So I have a question about the Quarians When did they start wearing their suits and why?Because in the game we see them wearing them before the Geth took over their planet

thumb
Sep 9, 2003

Very large hands.
So much nerd rage about this ending.

Besides all the endings being lovely options, wtf is up with the reapers being personified by a little boy? That is very cheap. You do not spend years building up the reapers as genocide incarnate and then try to replace them with a weird man-child VI. No seriously.

thumb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 16, 2012

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My god I hate the multiplayer mode. Every quick match group is full of either retards or AFK people. I absolutely despise that it's pretty much required to get enough readiness for more desireable SP endings.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TheSpiritFox posted:

So has anyone gone to the upper bar in purgatory and had a few too many drinks yet?

If you haven't, you should.
Pfft, I don't need any alcohol to have fun, chump. I can get so high just from running that I spent several minutes hanging out with magical texture people:

(incidentally, can you get drunk the first time you go to Purgatory or does it take a while? 'Cause I haven't seen any clickable barmen.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spacebump posted:

So I have a question about the Quarians When did they start wearing their suits and why?Because in the game we see them wearing them before the Geth took over their planet

They started wearing the suits after they started living on the ships. You see the suits because they're being represented based on Shepard's memories and Shepard has never seen under their suits. Legion explains this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bongo Bill posted:

If they were to do a DLC pack that changes the ending, I'd want them to at least add something else. A new mission or something.

A simple epilogue/'what happened next' thing would be the best way to handle it. I'm thinking season 4 of Babylon 5: the main thrust of the show, the Shadow War, is finally wrapped up in the first half-dozen episodes of the series. The rest of the season is devoted to the power vacuum that's been left in the wake, alongside another threat that's been steadily brewing in the background for the last three seasons. Given that there's likely to be all sorts of Reaper/Cerberus tech floating around, not to mention the fact that any tin-pot dictator or crime boss is going to find their horizons expanded, what with a sizeable chunk of the galaxy having been killed or turned into goo, there's a lot of scope there to frame a story around, while clarifying exactly what the gently caress the endings meant.

There you go, Bioware, I just wrote an out for you, that'll be one N7 hoodie and collectors editions of everything you've ever released, thanks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Does anyone else get stuck randomly in the front of the ship?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

incoherent posted:

Happened to me once. My "solution" was to never speak to Joker ever again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NihilCredo posted:

Pfft, I don't need any alcohol to have fun, chump. I can get so high just from running that I spent several minutes hanging out with magical texture people:

(incidentally, can you get drunk the first time you go to Purgatory or does it take a while? 'Cause I haven't seen any clickable barmen.)

Yes you can, a bar you can use is on the top floor near where you can dance, the results are a bit of a chuckle.

Also, streaming all night tonight, starting in a minute or two.

https://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

Shepard asks Legion about this in the mission inside the mainframe or whatever, Legion says the data core reconstructions are based on Shepards' interactions with Quarians, and he's only seen them in enviro-suits. I think they had to start wearing them because life aboard ship had to be mostly sterile to prevent some sort of horrible space plague from wiping out the few remaining Quarians.

e: gently caress, beaten. holy poo poo this thread moves fast

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

incoherent posted:

Yeah, if you walk up to EDI at the wrong angle, you get stuck. Try to come at her from behind rather than from near Joker.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bongo Bill posted:

They started wearing the suits after they started living on the ships. You see the suits because they're being represented based on Shepard's memories and Shepard has never seen under their suits. Legion explains this.

Thanks I don't know how missed that.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shepard asks Legion about this in the mission inside the mainframe or whatever, Legion says the data core reconstructions are based on Shepards' interactions with Quarians, and he's only seen them in enviro-suits. I think they had to start wearing them because life aboard ship had to be mostly sterile to prevent some sort of horrible space plague from wiping out the few remaining Quarians.

e: gently caress, beaten. holy poo poo this thread moves fast

What do you people not get about the Quarians? The ships in the fleet are absolutely massive. They don't wear the suits 24/7 inside their sterile ship. In fact it's because they've been in space so long and in perfectly sterility due to the ship that they are required to use the suit because their immune system is shot.

The only part of the flotilla you see in ME2 is a general area. Tali explains this pretty well

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

A simple epilogue/'what happened next' thing would be the best way to handle it. I'm thinking season 4 of Babylon 5: the main thrust of the show, the Shadow War, is finally wrapped up in the first half-dozen episodes of the series. The rest of the season is devoted to the power vacuum that's been left in the wake, alongside another threat that's been steadily brewing in the background for the last three seasons. Given that there's likely to be all sorts of Reaper/Cerberus tech floating around, not to mention the fact that any tin-pot dictator or crime boss is going to find their horizons expanded, what with a sizeable chunk of the galaxy having been killed or turned into goo, there's a lot of scope there to frame a story around, while clarifying exactly what the gently caress the endings meant.

There you go, Bioware, I just wrote an out for you, that'll be one N7 hoodie and collectors editions of everything you've ever released, thanks.

On the other hand Shep is loving dead, so now you have to introduce a new PC just for the DLC.

Naturally Selected posted:

Spoilered cause there's a minor plot-point about EDI and I don't want to deal with nerd-rage. VIs are at least semi-sentient though. See: EDI was simply upgraded/unshackled from a rogue VI on Luna. poo poo, the very fact that VIs can go rogue and not just in the "wires got crossed". In game they seem to have decision-making ability far beyond what a "non-sentient" program could accomplish. Hence the whole point about having to build VIs with very veeery strict limits on them/VIs going all nasty bitch the minute someone plugs an extra memory chip into them, etc. And again, Shepharder not being a drat AI in the slightest-poo poo, the game tells you that you're not an AI/VI/Copy for two games straight! Augmented with poo poo and maybe some kind of VI for nerve control or something, but you're not Geth or reaper tech. You're just rebuilt and augmented. And the godkingchild explicitly tells you that since you're part "synthetic", the beam will take you out along with the Geth et al. The whole part in 2 and 3 with Miranda, Ashley and just the story keeps saying that Timmy-boy explicitly did not alter you or your brain with any kind of synthetic intelligence.

No really. The endings make zero loving sense and holy goddamn Bioware

Ed: And yup. That ending is leagues and leagues better than any of the current ones and *shocker* it doesn't even use new resources!

Taking all bets on Bioware just doing that and charging :tenbux: for it.

Synthetic doesn't just mean AI, it means "robot" in general, at least that's how I read it. Shep is part robot because of the implants in ME2. He's part synthetic. He dies.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

kevdude posted:

My god I hate the multiplayer mode. Every quick match group is full of either retards or AFK people. I absolutely despise that it's pretty much required to get enough readiness for more desireable SP endings.

Just do what I do and play an engineer. Stick with a retarded Vanguard and focus on saving their rear end when they charge into situations where they're bound to get themselves killed.

Then gloat to yourself afterwards.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shepard asks Legion about this in the mission inside the mainframe or whatever, Legion says the data core reconstructions are based on Shepards' interactions with Quarians, and he's only seen them in enviro-suits.
I like the dialogue you get there if you've romanced Tali.

Legion: "How many quarians have you seen outside their protective suits?"
Shepard: "Uhhh... One."

It would have been a nice detail if the quarians in the reconstructions looked different if Shepard has actually seen one of them without the suit, but that would probably have been too much work for something brief like this.

Edit: Quarian/geth mission spoilers

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 10, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And for everyone who missed a mission but kept going: if you didn't save Grissom Academy, on the last Cerberus mission you'll fight a Phantom that's named Jack.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Drake Bate posted:

spoilers obviously

hahahhhaha i am amazed at how just removing 70% of the cinematics makes the ending so much better. imagine what you could do with a full game staff of writers, artists, and programmers oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TerminalBlue posted:

Just do what I do and play an engineer. Stick with a retarded Vanguard and focus on saving their rear end when they charge into situations where they're bound to get themselves killed.

Then gloat to yourself afterwards.

My MP chracter is a sentinel which is working for just spamming warp/throw everywhere and tech armour protects me from most stuff. However, 90% of the idiots playing multiplayer:

-do not know how to revive
-do not understand the concept of cover
-think that infiltrator sniping is the only way of playing Mass Effect (I have not seen a single vanguard in 12? matches, of which I have only completed 2 successfully)

• Locked thread