Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well first class back to BJJ in about 2 1/2 years. I only did a month in Rio full time a while ago. I got the basics down, for the most part. And my High School wrestling gives me a solid base. Getting my rear end kicked though. Definitely out of shape. Hopefully I'll improve over time.

Also, anyone have a used white belt to sell me? I don't care if it's used and abused.

I'm also considering signing up for Muay Thai as well. Haven't decided but most likely. I'm just a bit intimidated for the first class. On first impression the gym doesn't seem like the 1st place I'd want to go. But it's all I got! So it'll do for the next 6 months that I'm here. Quite expensive too. Aside from the start-up fee of $59 it's about $100 a month for Jiu jitsu alone after a discount? And then $119 or thereabouts after that for Muay Thai as well?

This is the place

http://www.valleyfightclub.com/

For nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hiptossed someone so fast in sparring today that he kicked me in the head. It was weird. I also tried to do this takedown with no success:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrq1oCzZRw#t=1m46s
I think it was because I was initiating from the clinch instead of setting up by ducking the punch.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
New gym!! Moved in last week.

We need like. 150 more mats. And to knock down some walls and clean up a heap of paintball residue off the walls (it used to be an indoor paintball thing).

It's great having a real gym and full timetable of classes again. I'm doing 2-a-days now and Saturday mornings and actual sparring and wooo improvement. First amateur fight 28 April

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

gimpsuitjones posted:

We need like. 150 more mats. And to knock down some walls and clean up a heap of paintball residue off the walls (it used to be an indoor paintball thing).

It's great having a real gym and full timetable of classes again. I'm doing 2-a-days now and Saturday mornings and actual sparring and wooo improvement. First amateur fight 28 April

Thats a bigass space!!

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Does any of you own a Dax moskito gi?

Ive heard good things, but I need a jacket that isnt too wide.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

gimpsuitjones posted:

That's a cool rear end gym right there.

I've got to remember to post photos from our hobo gym when we start up next month

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Prathm posted:

Does any of you own a Dax moskito gi?

Ive heard good things, but I need a jacket that isnt too wide.

I have two; they're very sturdy gis, cheap, and well constructed. They don't shrink much, so they recommend ordering a size smaller than you normally wear (vanity sizing! I'm a size 4! At last!).

Dunno if you're American, but nobody seems to be importing more of them into the US, sadly, until DAX figures out what to do with the IJF license.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Comrade_Robot posted:

I have two; they're very sturdy gis, cheap, and well constructed. They don't shrink much, so they recommend ordering a size smaller than you normally wear (vanity sizing! I'm a size 4! At last!).

Dunno if you're American, but nobody seems to be importing more of them into the US, sadly, until DAX figures out what to do with the IJF license.

No, I'm from Danmark. Looks like they come in cm-sizes on the german website:

http://www.dax-sports.de/catalog/index.php

They got a 190L and a 190M, whatever that means.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

gimpsuitjones posted:

Sweet space. You may want to put some cheap padding around those beams. (If you cover it with say colored duct tape, it doesn't look half bad.)

Some fresh paint and cleaning would make it look really nice.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Sweet space. You may want to put some cheap padding around those beams. (If you cover it with say colored duct tape, it doesn't look half bad.)

Some fresh paint and cleaning would make it look really nice.

Yeah that's on the to-do list.. have to clean all the paintball residue off the pillars first. Also need to knock down some walls which will make it like 1/3 bigger still, we've got some big mirrors at our old gym that we need to get moved in somehow. Going to put in a ring and etc. 4th gym site in 3 years, hopefully the last!!

Other news, anyone else ever get sore wrists holding thai pads? I have some super-hard boon ones and they transfer all the energy of kicks right into my wrists. They're great to kick but kinda suck to hold

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That is a really sweet looking gym. How is it on basic facilities like showers, etc?

Rikthor posted:

Got my blue belt in BJJ last night :toot:

Congrats!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

at least 2 showers, heaps of toilets, a BJJ/grappling gym with a Brazilian BJJ blackbelt in the other half of the building, and a big area upstairs where our MT trainer/owner is going to be living.

I'm one of the longest standing members and put in some money for the deposit on this place despite not being very experienced or good at fighting (yay work interfering) so I sort of have a bit of a propriety feeling towards the gym

I'm in the middle of taking like 5 months off work now just so I can actually train and have a fight for once, because my job is mineral exploration living in a tent in the Australian outback for weeks at a time, making it impossible to train consistently/at all So right now I don't do much except train/sleep/eat/repeat

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 10, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Rikthor posted:

Got my blue belt in BJJ last night :toot:

Congrats, how long?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

gimpsuitjones posted:

Congrats, how long?

Why do you care about the lenght of his belt :confused:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Mine is way too short, I thought like 1.2 metres or something would be heaps, but it turn out it's not

Not that I ever do gi jj anyway

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Someone sell me their used white belt :colbert:

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

Congrats, how long?

Two months of actual BJJ, both gi and no-gi, training.

I have been doing traditional jujitsu for 14 years, 21 if you want to count the 7 year sabbatical I took when I first went to college. Also wrestled for 6 years as well.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Christoff posted:

Don't belts cost like 5bux new? It'd be more expensive to send a belt than to just buy one, I think.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Question for you guys, are Yates row supposed to be super easy compared to other kind of rows?

I'm really wondering if I'm doing them correctly because I put much more weight on them that I did on other kind of rows. I used to do Pendlay rows and I couldn't get to 135 while I'm currently hitting 165 pounds (my BW) on my yates row and still think I need to add more weight because they don't get really challenging until the last set.

Is this normal for Yates row or does it mean I'm probably doing them horribly? The bar is in constant contact with my thighs, is this ok? I also have my palms facing upward. My legs and torso form ~ a 45 degree angle.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
poo poo, this was supposed to be posted in another thread. Sorry guys!

And yeah Christoff, belts cost next to nothing so there's no point in buying one from someone. Also, I don't know if other people are like me, but I keep all of my belts preciously and I plan on doing some sort of cheesy display with them eventually. It wouldn't feel right to part ways with one of them, there's so much pain and effort behind each one.

Also god damned, that space is amazing. When you're done with the grunt work it will probably be a ridiculously awesome gym. You're very lucky! Is it an MMA gym?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Christoff posted:

You can buy a white belt for like 5 bucks just about anywhere.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Rikthor posted:

Two months of actual BJJ, both gi and no-gi, training.

I have been doing traditional jujitsu for 14 years, 21 if you want to count the 7 year sabbatical I took when I first went to college. Also wrestled for 6 years as well.

That's really impressive. Took me about two years of solid training to get mine, I had no prior experience in anything else though.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Awesome speech - with a video.

quote:

Life is tough, that's a given.

When you stand up, you're gonna be shoved back down. When you're down, you're gonna be stepped on. My advice to you doesn't come with a lot of bells and whistles. It's no secret: you'll fall down, you'll stumble, you'll get pushed, you'll land square on your face.

Yes!

quote:

But every time that happens, you get back on your feet. You get up just as fast as you can. No matter how many times you need to do this.
Remember this: success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time than you've been knocked down.

Rarrrgh!

quote:

If experience has taught me anything, it's that nothing is free and livin' ain't easy. Life is hard, real hard, incredibly hard. You fail more often than you win. Nobody is handing you anything.

Exactly!

Then I noticed this is by some guy who runs a company that sells (probably useless) nutrients and lifestyle to people in what seems a pyramid scheme scenario... but the oration was pretty great so who cares.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Quick question on BJJ belt sizes. I got my Gi in Brazil and it says just "2" on it. But from what I understand the Brazilian sizes are A0-A7. Does that mean I'm an A2?

I'm about 5'11 190 lbs. waist is around 33. Going by the size chart A2 is a US size 4. Should I go with that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does your gym not have a little shelf of equipment to sell to the new folks with a white belt on it somewhere?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Christoff posted:

Quick question on BJJ belt sizes. I got my Gi in Brazil and it says just "2" on it. But from what I understand the Brazilian sizes are A0-A7. Does that mean I'm an A2?

I'm about 5'11 190 lbs. waist is around 33. Going by the size chart A2 is a US size 4. Should I go with that?

Get an A3, you're about the same size I am. You'll think you can get into an A2, but you can't. It will shrink in any case.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Well that was a waste of a day. Waited 7 hours and then first fight in the guy pulls the back of my gi up over my head and then cranks down hard on the lapel for the rest of the fight. I feel like I have whiplash and I can't walk straight. My collar bones hurt, as does my chest and my spine of course. I tried to soldier on and fought the next guy but I ended up tapping out as he hit the ground as I couldn't move my neck. Embarrassing and a waste of a day.

e: edited out the vids.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 12, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Watch your symptoms for any muscular weakness, burning, tingling, shooting pain, or numbness in the shoulders, arms, hands or fingers for the next few weeks. You may just have a sprain hopefully or he may have injured one of your cervical disks. This is one of the most common injuries in grappling and should be taken seriously. From 6 separate training incidents, I have had 3 bad disks in my neck (cervical disks) resulting in loss of use of my right bicep and left tricep and 2 bad disks in my lower back (lumbar disks) result in incredible pain in my right ankle and calf from grappling. The neck has healed after antiinflammatories and physical therapy and I regained use of my arms but the back is so bad that I have spine surgery scheduled. At some point I'll probably do a write up on common grappling injuries and post it in here and in the grappling thread.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 11, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. 5 hours on and I still can't really turn to look to the left or right without great pain but I think tomorrow will be even worse (it usually is with me). So I guess thats sorta what a guillotine or can opener feels like?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

Watch your symptoms for any muscular weakness, burning, tingling, shooting pain, or numbness in the shoulders, arms, hands or fingers for the next few weeks. You may just have a sprain hopefully or he may have injured one of your cervical disks. This is one of the most common injuries in grappling and should be taken seriously. From 6 separate training incidents, I have had 3 bad disks in my neck (cervical disks) resulting in loss of use of my right bicep and left tricep and 2 bad disks in my lower back (lumbar disks) result in incredible pain in my right ankle and calf from grappling. The neck has healed after antiinflammatories and physical therapy and I regained use of my arms but the back is so bad that I have spine surgery scheduled. At some point I'll probably do a write up on common grappling injuries and post it in here and in the grappling thread.

How did this happen :|, Tell me it's from some neck crank that isn't allowed in judo!

Nierbo posted:

Well that was a waste of a day. Waited 7 hours and then first fight in the guy pulls the back of my gi up over my head and then cranks down hard on the lapel for the rest of the fight. I feel like I have whiplash and I can't walk straight. My collar bones hurt, as does my chest and my spine of course. I tried to soldier on and fought the next guy but I ended up tapping out as he hit the ground as I couldn't move my neck. Embarrassing and a waste of a day.

e: Here's the first fight if you want a bit of a laugh. I'm in the blue gi and white shorts.
Here's the second one for what its worth.. I'm in the blue gi again.

Wow, that really sucks for the injury part, hope you have nothing serious and it's just a pulled muscle or something.

I'm sure it's not a complete waste. I felt the same after I lost all my fights in my last comp since I was sick, but I'm sure you'll learn a lot by watching those videos again and thinking about what you should work on.

Anyway, congrats on being badass and trying a comp in a grappling sport that is quite different from yours. That takes balls. Win or lose, competition experience is worth a lot.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I dunno about where you guys are from, but there's this weird pseudo masculine 'thing' in my area, where if you train MMA and especially if you fight competitively, you're a "pussy". Like if a guy doesn't like another guy and the other guy does MMA, the first guy will be like "He's one of those fuckin' mma-whatever pussies." Or under no provocation you get something like "Fuckin' cage fighter pussy I ain't skeered of you." Just sharing a curious observation. I just don't get calling someone who happens to be dating your ex a pussy just because he can probably kick your rear end, especially when he's minding his own business.

To me, it's like announcing that you're really insecure about yourself.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Omglosser posted:

I dunno about where you guys are from, but there's this weird pseudo masculine 'thing' in my area, where if you train MMA and especially if you fight competitively, you're a "pussy". Like if a guy doesn't like another guy and the other guy does MMA, the first guy will be like "He's one of those fuckin' mma-whatever pussies." Or under no provocation you get something like "Fuckin' cage fighter pussy I ain't skeered of you." Just sharing a curious observation. I just don't get calling someone who happens to be dating your ex a pussy just because he can probably kick your rear end, especially when he's minding his own business.

Well, you are what you eat.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Omglosser posted:

Well that's dumb.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omglosser posted:

E/N is leaking.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 12, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Where do you live? Is it a small town or is this widely held in a large city?

It's pretty weird. There are plenty of negative stereotypes associated with MMA, and most of them have at least some basis in fact. For example, I've heard that there is an aggressive-douchebag "bro" culture thing in the US, and that if you see somebody wearing tapout clothing over there there's a good chance that they'll be an aggressive idiot. It's a side effect of the way they market the UFC, I suppose. Down here (I'm in Australia) if you see somebody wearing a tapout shirt it's almost a guarantee that they don't train, but they aren't bigger douchebags than anybody else, on average, just tasteless.

In your town in could be a case of the mma = grappling = hugging dudes = gay thing. But it's still funny that there's a place where "people who spend their lives learning how to snap arms and choke people to death and then get paid money to try and kill each other for the entertainment of others" are considered pussies.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

KingColliwog posted:

How did this happen :|, Tell me it's from some neck crank that isn't allowed in judo!
incident:
arm triangle from mount with no arm inside; no choke but severe pressure on the cervical spin until it popped.
result:
C6 nerve root impingement
effect:
loss of use of right bicep
recovery:
6 months-1 year for full strength recovery

incident:
swept/thrown and headbutted by my opponent under my chin
result:
bilateral nerve impingement
effect:
stingers down both arms
recovery:
3 months

incident:
cranking can opener with full strength and speed during a light roll
result:
C7 nerve root impingment
effect:
loss of use of left tricep
recovery:
1 year to 75% strength; still working on full recovery

incident:
spine lock on lower back and driving a hard cup into the lower back until it popped
result: L4-L5 and L5-S1 herniation of the lower back
effect: severe nerve pain in the right ankle and calf spreading into the thigh and glute and loss of ability to walk over the course of 2 months
recover:
spine surgery scheduled - microdiskectomy

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Well my goal of getting onto the US Judo roster will have to wait at least 3 more weeks. I put out what was probably my worst performance in the last year. My first fight I lost to a West Pointer who I beat six months ago very convincingly by conceding two wazari's on drop seoi-nages. Frustrating because I just was sloppy with gripping and movement and just barely got caught. Second loss came after I was up 3 yukos. I wanted to win by ippon and kept attacking. Got caught in a choke. I can make excuses about unfair draws and soft calls, but in the end I fought poorly and let a very winnable tournament slip out of my fingers.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

loving long list of spine destroying accidents

poo poo, you're a rather unlucky dude!

It's reassuring that 3 out of 4 of these would be illegal in judo! And the one that could happen in judo seems like the mildest of the bunch.

Still, you're one unlucky grappler yun. Where did you find the courage to come back to training after so many spine injuries? I'd probably be out after the second one!

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's pretty weird. There are plenty of negative stereotypes associated with MMA, and most of them have at least some basis in fact. For example, I've heard that there is an aggressive-douchebag "bro" culture thing in the US, and that if you see somebody wearing tapout clothing over there there's a good chance that they'll be an aggressive idiot. It's a side effect of the way they market the UFC, I suppose. Down here (I'm in Australia) if you see somebody wearing a tapout shirt it's almost a guarantee that they don't train, but they aren't bigger douchebags than anybody else, on average, just tasteless.

In your town in could be a case of the mma = grappling = hugging dudes = gay thing. But it's still funny that there's a place where "people who spend their lives learning how to snap arms and choke people to death and then get paid money to try and kill each other for the entertainment of others" are considered pussies.

A Chicago suburb is where I reside. Whole lotta bar rats. I dunno, maybe it's just a weird thing with this upcoming 23-year-old generation around here. Plus it's not fair to call out people who wear TapouT gear, they could just genuinely love the sport, or just be silly poseurs who think they look cool.

Thoguh posted:

E/N is leaking.

Ha, sorry. It's honestly not me or my situation, just poo poo I overhear. Besides, psychology is an important aspect of self defense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The only thing I've heard like this is that people wearing affliction shirts don't train (and it's generally true). I've never heard that people who train to fight are pussies.

• Locked thread