Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
It's entirely possible that Malack's kids' bodies were destroyed, thus requiring a True Resurrection spell rather than Raise Dead. He may not have been high enough level back then and we don't know if he's that powerful even now. Redcloak is, however. As for Penelope, Familicide was an epic level spell so it might need epic magic to overcome. Burlew did a pretty awesome job explaining how it worked but not necessarily what it overrides. Although would she want to come back if she were suddenly (forcibly) reunited with Orrin and her kid in Heaven's Waiting Room? She can't have been *that* big into Tarquin if she spent so much time with diviners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cabbit posted:

If they're as paranoid as we think, they know Tarquin and anyone he has hanging around him are not the kind of people they want anywhere near the gate.

Well, they don't know who is trying to raise them - they only know the alignment of the person trying to raise them.

Not that I think it'll work - hell, it wouldn't surprise me if part of the Draketooth Indoctrination included directives like "never let yourself be Resurrected; it never works out and besides, you'll be hanging out in a Chaotic Good afterlife drinking single-malt and smoking cigars made from poorly-worded legal documents, so why would you want to leave?" Granted, that's just a guess re: their alignment, but still.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

TunaSpleen posted:

It's entirely possible that Malack's kids' bodies were destroyed, thus requiring a True Resurrection spell rather than Raise Dead. He may not have been high enough level back then and we don't know if he's that powerful even now. Redcloak is, however. As for Penelope, Familicide was an epic level spell so it might need epic magic to overcome. Burlew did a pretty awesome job explaining how it worked but not necessarily what it overrides. Although would she want to come back if she were suddenly (forcibly) reunited with Orrin and her kid in Heaven's Waiting Room? She can't have been *that* big into Tarquin if she spent so much time with diviners.

It is also very likely that Malack is a vampire and that his kids were his undead spawn, which can't be resurrected.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

We've seen him out in daylight.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not that I think it'll work - hell, it wouldn't surprise me if part of the Draketooth Indoctrination included directives like "never let yourself be Resurrected; it never works out and besides, you'll be hanging out in a Chaotic Good afterlife drinking single-malt and smoking cigars made from poorly-worded legal documents, so why would you want to leave?" Granted, that's just a guess re: their alignment, but still.

To be fair to the indoctrinator-in-chief, this happens to be true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NihilCredo posted:

We've seen him out in daylight.
There's magic items for that.

But the god of death would not be cool with undead cheating to stay from dying, I think.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

TunaSpleen posted:

As for Penelope, Familicide was an epic level spell so it might need epic magic to overcome. Burlew did a pretty awesome job explaining how it worked but not necessarily what it overrides.

You're kinda over-thinking epic magic here. The condition "dead" is not an epic effect in and of itself. There's absolutely no indication that familicide has a built in feature that requires epic resurrection to revive a slain target. While it could, it's extremely unlikely. That kind of effect calls for it's own spell, I'd say.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mylan posted:

You're kinda over-thinking epic magic here. The condition "dead" is not an epic effect in and of itself. There's absolutely no indication that familicide has a built in feature that requires epic resurrection to revive a slain target. While it could, it's extremely unlikely. That kind of effect calls for it's own spell, I'd say.
Agreed. I think the most plausible explanation is the one that Rich Burlew spends an entire strip to provide. Death effects are harder to reverse, but a Resurrection spell is still capable of doing that.

greatn posted:

But the god of death would not be cool with undead cheating to stay from dying, I think.
Depends on the god of death really. In FR for example Kelemvor (LN) is opposed to undead, Jergal (LN) only allowed undead to exist if they served him but tolerated those, while Myrkul (NE) and Cyric (CE) were all for having undead running around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

jng2058 posted:

I've seen it go either way in-game, but it was shown when they tried and failed to raise Lord Shojo that in the OotS universe, you do lose the diamonds.

The problem with Malack would seem to be that he's a Cleric of the God of Death. I'm going to go ahead and guess that death is permanent for Clerics of Nergal. Otherwise, why would he make so much of a fuss about Malack's kids being dead? He could have raised them long since. Likewise, why hadn't they raised Penelope, if only to find out who killed her?

No, I'm betting that Malack is barred from using any spell that would take people out of Nergal's Realm.

Could just be one of those "you're allowed to do it, but only in that very rare circumstance when you have a drat good reason to get this person back, otherwise you'd best content yourself with Speak With Dead".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DaveWoo posted:

FYI, Rich finally gave an official explanation to how Familicide works:

Step 1: Kill everyone with the original target's blood. This is a simple yes/no effect: Is a creature (the secondary target) related by blood to the original target at all, in any way? If yes, kill it. If no, move on. Number of generations or percentage of blood or direction doesn't matter.
Aaand that's back to killing literally everyone, since the Draketooth family provides a connection between a sizable number of human beings and the original target.

Oh, well. Comic strip.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Strudel Man posted:

Aaand that's back to killing literally everyone, since the Draketooth family provides a connection between a sizable number of human beings and the original target.

Oh, well. Comic strip.

Maybe you ought to keep reading, slugger.

The Giant posted:

Wouldn't that spell kill everyone of the original target's species?
In our world? Maybe. The OOTS world is not ours, though. It was created fully populated, even with black dragons. So there could be 100 original black dragons who (as V noted) breed slowly over the relatively-short span of time the current world has been in existence, leading to one-quarter of them being wiped out. If it had been cast on a human first, it may well have taken half or more of the population with it, depending on how many Original Humans there had been and how much interbreeding had occurred. Good thing that's not what happened, right?

There's a line between "sticking to one's guns" and "being deliberately obtuse," and you crossed it a while back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Human beings beyond the Draketooth clan aren't related to the black dragon by blood. The effect doesn't jump across in-laws, man. It kills them, but doesn't kill their relatives.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 12, 2012

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

pseudorandom name posted:

"Soon an' 'is paladins..."

Well played, Rich. Well played.

Don't get it. Is this a soylent green joke?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Nilbop posted:

Don't get it. Is this a soylent green joke?

"an'is" = anus? Because paladins are anal? I don't really see what else it could be. Pretty dumb though, if that's what he meant.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
What the hell are you people talking about :psyduck:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I already answered this once (on the last page, even), good job on reading the thread!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Can you answer it again, then? Because "an' for and" and "'is for his" don't seem unusual for his accent, so I don't get it either.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

delfin posted:

Can you answer it again, then? Because "an' for and" and "'is for his" don't seem unusual for his accent, so I don't get it either.

I think you guys are trying to read way too much into that post. I took it as a simple "ha ha, Durkon accent funny" post that just chose that particular line.

Hooper Struvé
Dec 15, 2004

I have had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

"Soon an' 'is paladins..."

Well played, Rich. Well played.

I don't think you understand how "Well played" is used, then.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I already answered this once (on the last page, even), good job on reading the thread!

That was your answer? You realize people actually talk like that, right?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

You guys are really making a far bigger deal out of this then is necessary.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If only I had :10bux: on myself, I would immediately spend it to buy a red custom title for that insolent pseudorandom name. That would teach him! :argh:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God drat can we go back to arguing about alignment or something.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Considering the amount of discord it's sowing, I'm positive Durkon's accent's alignment is definitely Chaotic. I'm not so sure about where it falls on the other axis, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So what's the betting pool on who's going to backstab and destroy the other first: Redcloak or Xykon?

sansuki
May 17, 2003

oobey posted:

Considering the amount of discord it's sowing, I'm positive Durkon's accent's alignment is definitely Chaotic. I'm not so sure about where it falls on the other axis, though.

Chaotic Neutral

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speedball posted:

So what's the betting pool on who's going to backstab and destroy the other first: Redcloak or Xykon?

Monster in the Dark is going to eat them both and accidentally eat the last gate in the process.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speedball posted:

Redcloak has no real reason to backstab. As long as Xykon A) Want's to control the gate and B) Doesn't realize that Redcloak has been stringing him along with the whole "control the snarl" thing. Then he'll basically, in the end, do everything Redcloak wants.

Xykon, on the other hand...

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Redcloak has no real reason to backstab. As long as Xykon A) Want's to control the gate and B) Doesn't realize that Redcloak has been stringing him along with the whole "control the snarl" thing. Then he'll basically, in the end, do everything Redcloak wants.

Xykon, on the other hand...

Xykon is already in charge. Why does he need to backstab Redcloak? He can frontstab him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zetetica posted:

Xykon is already in charge. Why does he need to backstab Redcloak? He can frontstab him.

Right now? Power comes as a +8 bonus to standing right in front of you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ConfusedUs posted:

Monster in the Dark is going to eat them both and accidentally eat the last gate in the process.

What gate? :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rarity posted:

What gate? :v:

That's the accidental part.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr Pepper posted:

Redcloak has no real reason to backstab.
You haven't read Start of Darkness, have you?

At some point, Redcloak is going to turn on Xykon. He's the one with a story arc; Xykon is just a big evil tool.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

CapnAndy posted:

You haven't read Start of Darkness, have you?

At some point, Redcloak is going to turn on Xykon. He's the one with a story arc; Xykon is just a big evil tool.
I guess there are two ways the story can go:
1) Redcloak tries to betray Xykon and fails but possibly weakens him (e.g. by destroying his phylacteny), leaving his defeat to the OotS.
2) Redcloak succeeds and becomes the new boss the OotS has to defeat.

I don't see Xykon doing any betrayals or complex plots. He seems a very straightforward character to me. When he sets out on a course of action he pretty much applies overwhelming force in a direct way to achieve it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't see Xykon doing any betrayals or complex plots. He seems a very straightforward character to me. When he sets out on a course of action he pretty much applies overwhelming force in a direct way to achieve it.
He has directly stated that, when it comes down to it, only two things matter, and I quote.

quote:

Force, in as great a concentration as you can muster, and style. And, in a pinch, style can slide. There is a level of force against which no tactics can succeed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Factor_VIII posted:

Xykon is a very straightforward character, but some of his straightforward doesn't-give-a-poo poo attitude is a ruse to get people to underestimate him. He's quite a bit more cunning than his easily distracted nature would indicate. He expects his underlings to betray him and is usually quite prepared for when they move against him.

His overall philosophy and his methods are as plain and straightforward as Route 56 across Kansas.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know if Redcloak is ever going to realize that he's already won everything he wants for the Goblin races (a level playing field), or if it's just going to be part of the tragedy of him that he's going to fight to the death trying to win a prize he's already got.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Factor_VIII posted:

I guess there are two ways the story can go:
1) Redcloak tries to betray Xykon and fails but possibly weakens him (e.g. by destroying his phylacteny), leaving his defeat to the OotS.

Pretty sure this is it. (Start of Darkness) The Monster in the Dark has been programmed by Xykon to eat Redcloak and spit up his holy symbol if Redcloak ever turns against Xykon. Now we've got the 'wrong' holy symbol he'll spit up, so...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know if Redcloak is ever going to realize that he's already won everything he wants for the Goblin races (a level playing field), or if it's just going to be part of the tragedy of him that he's going to fight to the death trying to win a prize he's already got.

It's impossible to see where Redcloak's story arch is going; he's noble and loyal when it comes to his own side, but he's still evil. The same for the Goblin race; Rich is clear that the universe has been set up to be unfair to them, but he's also clear that within the rules of the universe they are an 'evil' race.

I want them to get a happy ending, but I don't see yet how it happens. And then there's the whole deal with the planet inside the snarl-rift that we have no info on whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CapnAndy posted:

He doesn't though. The goblin race inherently trends towards evil and from the outset has been seen by drat near every other species as non-sapient barbarians fit for nothing but extermination.