Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

HiddenReplaced posted:

Don't worry, I'm 10k below Atlanta market, which is no where near 160k.

God I wish Atlanta market was 160...

If ATL paid NY market it would be more competitive than DC. The only two firms that pay above ATL market (start at 150k) are Jones Day and Paul Hastings, both of which are not exactly known for their sane hours. During a CB I had with another biglaw firm, an associate expressed horror/amusement at how much his wife -- Jones Day associate -- worked.

PH has a good L&E group in Atlanta, buuuut I think they recently fired a few attorneys and aren't doing so well because they're trying to charge NY rates here.

Bondurant counts too but lol they're not hiring anyone ever.

edit: On top of that, market isn't really a thing in Atlanta because every firm slashed starting salaries -- or at least compressed the poo poo out of them. A&B, K&S, Sutherland, Troutman, Rogers and Hardin, and Kilpatrick are the only firms that pay market. SGR, Baker Donelson, Chamberlain, MMM etc. are all 10-25k below market.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Skadden pays 2nd year students in Toronto $3100/wk.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Zaleov posted:

I'm trying to get a handle of how work is broken down in the legal industry, and how much time you all spend working in different jobs. About how many hours a week do you spend working in the office? How much time working outside of the office? How much of your working hours is billable?
M-Thurs, 11-12 in office, maybe 1 out of office
Friday, 10 in office, none out of office
Saturday/Sunday - maybe 5-6 billed hours total, about half in office, half at home.

80% of that works out to about 50 billed a week, so that sounds right. That's when I'm home. If I'm traveling, I am typically working all waking hours (that I'm not in the hotel bar).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

If ATL paid NY market it would be more competitive than DC. The only two firms that pay above ATL market (start at 150k) are Jones Day and Paul Hastings, both of which are not exactly known for their sane hours. During a CB I had with another biglaw firm, an associate expressed horror/amusement at how much his wife -- Jones Day associate -- worked.

PH has a good L&E group in Atlanta, buuuut I think they recently fired a few attorneys and aren't doing so well because they're trying to charge NY rates here.

Bondurant counts too but lol they're not hiring anyone ever.

edit: On top of that, market isn't really a thing in Atlanta because every firm slashed starting salaries -- or at least compressed the poo poo out of them. A&B, K&S, Sutherland, Troutman, Rogers and Hardin, and Kilpatrick are the only firms that pay market. SGR, Baker Donelson, Chamberlain, MMM etc. are all 10-25k below market.

Yeah, the Atlanta Jones Day office destroys their associates. I've got a friend who was around 500 billables between Jan+Feb.

I find it pretty funny that SGR/Baker/Chamberlain/MMM pay so poorly, because their hours are still lovely compared to mine. I kinda wonder if maybe my firm is unaware that all those firms slashed their pay...

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
oh, also. how much do you think a drug trafficking conviction from 2 yrs ago (marijuana) will effect my application.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nern posted:

oh, also. how much do you think a drug trafficking conviction from 2 yrs ago (marijuana) will effect my application.

In what state did you get the conviction?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

nern posted:

you wrote a diversity statement about the conviction, I hope. what's with all these law schools trying to be elitist and remain felon free?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

you wrote a diversity statement about the conviction, I hope. what's with all these law schools trying to be elitist and remain felon free?

Sometimes you need a criminal defense attorney, and sometimes you need a CRIMINAL defense attorney.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Apply to Tulane, they're giving scholarships to murderers from what I hear.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Harry posted:

Sometimes you need a criminal defense attorney, and sometimes you need a CRIMINAL defense attorney.

I quote this line all the time to my friends who are aiming for Public Defense jobs.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I'm 10 months out of law school and I have an OC (20+ years practice) so bad I'm embarrassed for him.

What's the appropriate response? Fiesta Cat?

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
it was in kentucky, and it was a misdemeanor.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Don't rob nuns.

Don't beat nuns.

Don't rape nuns.

Don't set nuns on fire.

Don't do all of the above.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Especially not if you're 110.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

Don't rob nuns.

Don't beat nuns.

Don't rape nuns.

Don't set nuns on fire.

22 years down, 1636 to go

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm 10 months out of law school and I have an OC (20+ years practice) so bad I'm embarrassed for him.

What's the appropriate response? Fiesta Cat?

Outside counsel? Opposing counsel? Offensive coordinator?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

joat mon posted:

Don't rob nuns.

Don't beat nuns.

Don't rape nuns.

Don't set nuns on fire.

What is this?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lilosh posted:

I quote this line all the time to my friends who are aiming for Public Defense jobs.
My office won't even hire people convicted of dui.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

nm posted:

My office won't even hire people convicted of dui.

Well yeah, if they couldn't even defend themselves successfully ...

(pre-emptive edit: I know nobody represents themselves pro se. This was a joke)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

What is this?
Good advice?

http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/pls/offlu

zzyzx posted:

Especially not if you're 110.
Big numbers are hard for human-scaled programs:

nern posted:

it was in kentucky, and it was a misdemeanor.

That's better. Trafficking means different things in different places. Around here, it's not trafficking unless you have more than 25 pounds of MJ. Buying a bag of MJ from a cop (I'm guessing it was something like that) will be easier to deal with on the character and fitness portion of a bar application. You should try to get it expunged when five years are up. (but you'll still need to explain it to your prospective bar)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 10, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

Good advice?

http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/pls/offlu

Big numbers are hard for human-scaled programs:

That's better. Trafficking means different things in different places. Around here, it's not trafficking unless you have more than 25 pounds of MJ. Buying a bag of MJ from a cop (I'm guessing it was something like that) will be easier to deal with on the character and fitness portion of a bar application. You should try to get it expunged when five years are up. (but you'll still need to explain it to your prospective bar)

Are they really giving out 2000 year sentences?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Are they really giving out 2000 year sentences?

We have no sentencing guidelines other than the statutory range of punishment. (For the 20,750* years guy we're talking about, 'not less than 10 years' on each count)

We have jury sentencing.

If you go to trial, all counts run consecutive to each other. (It's only unconstitutional if the Judge admits on the record that the sentences are consecutive because you exercised your right to trial)

How the sentence range is stated in statutes and jury instructions has changed, though. Where in the past, a range might be, 'not less than 10 years,' now it will say '10 years to life' instead. Now we have lots of consecutive life sentences.

*not a typo.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gret posted:

Outside counsel? Opposing counsel? Offensive coordinator?

I thought OC is standard lawyer lingo for opposing counsel.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Satisfied lawyer checking in to repeat the OP's advice: If you aren't 100% certain about law school, do not go to law school. There are no jobs. It is a dead zone. You either need to be making all A's or all C's... meaning you either need to be a mutant freak genius who doesn't need to ask, or a mental patient/businessperson/heir to a firm who also doesn't need to ask. That means the middle 80% of law students are hosed. The job farming system is broken, and nothing is provided for you.

I graduated and passed the bar in 2008, and fall into the C's category (mixed mental patient and businessperson). I started a solo bankruptcy practice, and I'm very happy with my career choice. But all of my friends except the straight A mutants have had severe employment issues, and many are not practicing law.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about starting a solo practice, or bankruptcy work. I only exist because some one else held my hand, so I'm happy to pass along whatever practical advice I can. Many law firms are just a scam, so why not start your own?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

I'd be happy to answer any questions about starting a solo practice, or bankruptcy work. I only exist because some one else held my hand, so I'm happy to pass along whatever practical advice I can. Many law firms are just a scam, so why not start your own?

Hey fellow solo bankruptcy practitioner!

I've got a case where the guy is filing a personal and a corp 7. He is likely to owe the IRS on his 940 and 941 accounts. If I get him set up on a payment plan with the IRS, will the trustee void those transfers or does tax payment fall under the "normal course of business" exception?

Thank you and I'll take my answer off air.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

joat mon posted:

We have jury sentencing.

God, I can only imagine the incredibly chaotic effect this has on sentencing, or how this could be seen as a positive thing for any party involved in the criminal justice process. What state is this?

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 10, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Hey fellow solo bankruptcy practitioner!
WooooOO!

We're the chosen people. And it's very strange to hear bad economic news with a grin... like "come on Greece, papa has a mortgage, come to papa!"

(I'm new here, so I just discovered I don't have the private message thingy. I guess I should cough up $10... My non-legal-advice hypothetical answer is: here it'd work just fine no exception needed, it's a necessary monthly expense)

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

WooooOO!

We're the chosen people. And it's very strange to hear bad economic news with a grin... like "come on Greece, papa has a mortgage, come to papa!"

(I'm new here, so I just discovered I don't have the private message thingy. But in a hypotehtical case where I practice that doesn't qualify as legal advice whatsoever, it would not be voided. I guess I should cough up $10...)

Awesome, that's what I thought too.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

God, I can only imagine the incredibly chaotic effect this has on sentencing, or how this could be seen as a positive thing for any party involved in the criminal justice process. What state is this?

I know Texas does this. I wish Arizona did.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody ever have to give a writing sample at an interview? I'm interviewing for a Legislative Analyst position at my state's General Assembly (basically just research/bill drafting for congresspeople) in a little over a week, and I have to show up an hour before the interview to write... something. They didn't really say what.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody ever have to give a writing sample at an interview? I'm interviewing for a Legislative Analyst position at my state's General Assembly (basically just research/bill drafting for congresspeople) in a little over a week, and I have to show up an hour before the interview to write... something. They didn't really say what.

That's pretty typical for legislative offices, actually. I've been asked to write something the day before, an hour before, and to make something up during the interview. Part of it is because your legal writing samples aren't useful for political writing (the skills transfer, the writing... doesn't). Part of it is because being able to write fast matters, a lot.

Anyway, I'd bet you'll get asked to draft a one-pager (read a bill, draft a single page summary/selling points).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Oklahoma. There are about a half dozen jury sentencing states. Unlike Texas, we don't put on any aggravation/extenuation evidence in jury sentencing, unless it's a death case. I don't think TX has jury sentencing in death cases.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Kalman posted:

That's pretty typical for legislative offices, actually. I've been asked to write something the day before, an hour before, and to make something up during the interview. Part of it is because your legal writing samples aren't useful for political writing (the skills transfer, the writing... doesn't). Part of it is because being able to write fast matters, a lot.

Anyway, I'd bet you'll get asked to draft a one-pager (read a bill, draft a single page summary/selling points).

Oh okay, cool. Thanks for the heads up on that. I've got pretty decent experience writing up summaries of our Food and Drug regs, but I've never had to do one in an hour. Any general tips on preparation? I usually outline first, but I feel like there may not be time with this, depending on the bill.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Roger_Mudd posted:

I thought OC is standard lawyer lingo for opposing counsel.

I'm but a lowly patent nerd. We don't like confrontation, like having to deal with opposing counsel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Oh okay, cool. Thanks for the heads up on that. I've got pretty decent experience writing up summaries of our Food and Drug regs, but I've never had to do one in an hour. Any general tips on preparation? I usually outline first, but I feel like there may not be time with this, depending on the bill.

PMed you some tips/links. I wouldn't worry too much - they're not going to give you anything super-complicated if they're only giving you an hour.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

joat mon posted:

Oklahoma. There are about a half dozen jury sentencing states. Unlike Texas, we don't put on any aggravation/extenuation evidence in jury sentencing, unless it's a death case. I don't think TX has jury sentencing in death cases.

Does jury sentencing seem to result in lower sentences than judicial sentencing, or are the sentences just wildly different from one another (I'm tentatively assuming the latter?) Is it jury sentencing in all cases, or do the defendants opt for it like in Texas?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Mons Hubris posted:

I worked at a patent boutique where the interview process for more experienced hires included having them spend the whole day writing a response to an office action and then critiquing it at the end of the day.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Ani posted:

I don't post that much in this thread anymore, but I'm a first-year associate at a biglaw firm in New York, practicing transactional law.

My hours vary a lot; my worst week was probably ~80 billable hours, and it's not uncommon to have a stretch of a few days / ruined weekend to meet a deadline. Some weeks, though, I'm not really busy at all and I read books in the office from 10-5pm and hide to avoid work. In general, regardless of where you are, it's always possible to get a call or an email requiring you to come back to work, though that happens very rarely to me because I've tried to avoid the kinds of deals where that happens. My firm is known for having really long hours, and I suspect I have billed and worked among the fewest hours of the first-years doing transactional work.

Working from home vs. in the office depends on the deal and the partner you're working for; for me it's generally fine, but I find I'm significantly more productive in the office so I try to work there as much as possible.

My ratio of billed hours to worked hours really depends on how busy I am. I pretty much need to be in the office on weekdays from 10-5 or so even if there's nothing for me to do, so on those days or weeks my ratio is terrible. On the other hand, when a deal is busy I would estimate that almost all of my worked time is billable. Any time that I spend in the office after hours or on the weekends is billable, so when you have a lot of that time, your ratio improves.

A first year in my class billed 320+ hours _before_ the end of _February_, but he by far exceeded the norm. I really just wanted to post that number because it's astonishing to me. But I have extremely good hours due to the nature of the cases I'm on and the partners running those cases. At my firm, at least, the % of total worked time that's actually billed time is thankfully pretty high.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I worked at a patent boutique where the interview process for more experienced hires included having them spend the whole day writing a response to an office action and then critiquing it at the end of the day.

I think that's relatively common with patent prosecution positions. At my previous firm, we had to write a specification for a simple mechanical device (a mechanical mousetrap) during the interview process. At my current firm, one of the partners likes to give candidates a set of features for an invention and ask them to write a sample independent claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
A solo practitioner's hours could vary from zero to 80, but I probably average 30 hours a week. That's not billable, that's hours working. It changes depending on the season and workload, but I honestly average about 30 hours in the office/courthouse per week.

I know dozens of solo practitioners around me, and they would probably be in the same 30-40 hours worked per week range. The reason is the $ per hour. Being solo allows for a much higher profit margin, so you can make a decent salary for less hours worked. Or you could work 60 hours and make a ton, I prefer a home life. The trade-off is sheer terror. You are literally paid a premium for terror, but I highly recommend it.