Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Blinks77 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Quarian liveships came with their fleet as well so the Turians/Quarians in the sol system are not necessarily completely screwed.

I don't remember exactly where I read it, maybe on the War Assets screen, but I'm pretty sure the liveships stayed behind at their home planet (can't remember its name right now) along with a portion of the patrol fleet, and the rest went into battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wingless posted:

Uhm, this isn't really based on anything.

Except is is?

It was established already that earth had resource problems. This is a fact in the setting. While a lot of humans definitely died defending earth, the massive influx of aliens from the stranded fleets negates that. The sol system no longer has supply lines reaching across the galaxy and instead has to rely entirely on what is in the the system to sustain its now massive and diverse population. I highly doubt all the food in sol was grown locally and instead probably came from the dozens of garden worlds humanity had founded. All of which are now inaccessible. Plus a lot of the resources in sol had already been depleted by humans in their expansion. This is why everyone was colonizing new worlds. You can't just ignore that.

I mean, you can pretend that sol somehow magically has enough resources to support everyone but then you could also pretend that the relays start working again and everything is just peachy. Going by the way the established setting worked, sol is hosed.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
The ending may have been disappointing, but you know what wasn't? Kaidan coming back and being more amazing that ever. I felt bad NEVER using any of the new squadmembers, but I've got Garrus and Kaidan back, I was not gonna leave them behind unless forced to. Hence the new avatar. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Immediately after being told that we need every available resource to fight the Reapers, Shepard spends his money on the first thing he sees. A 1000 dollar bottle of whiskey. :shepface:

Just got the game in the mail and went through three hours worth. I really like how because I sacrificed a third of the human fleet in ME1, they count for less in the war assets.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Count Choculitis posted:

The ending may have been disappointing, but you know what wasn't? Kaidan coming back and being more amazing that ever. I felt bad NEVER using any of the new squadmembers, but I've got Garrus and Kaidan back, I was not gonna leave them behind unless forced to. Hence the new avatar. :3:

I didn't care much for Kaiden in the first Mass Effect (let alone second), but was actually a big fan of him here. Good work, BioWare! Also, James is surprisingly awesome as well.

I'm really enjoying this game, so far. The only problem I'm having is that it crashes on my PS3 fairly frequently while trying to load.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

RBA Starblade posted:

Immediately after being told that we need every available resource to fight the Reapers, Shepard spends his money on the first thing he sees. A 1000 dollar bottle of whiskey. :shepface:

Just got the game in the mail and went through three hours worth. I really like how because I sacrificed a third of the human fleet in ME1, they count for less in the war assets.

The Destiny Ascension more than makes up for it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Count Choculitis posted:

Good! After what he pulled on Horizon I'm happy to hear they cleaned up his act!

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Coalesced Editing! As usual, make a backup.

Let's go to bioinput.ini > sfxgame > sfxgamemodebase > bindings, shall we?

I'm sure you've all noticed how annoying it is to have SpaceBar do everything. So let's fix that. This is what it does by default.
code:
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="Exclusive TryStandingJump | Exclusive Used | OnRelease StormOff | OnHold 0.2 StormOn | Exclusive PressAction | OnTap 0.3 TapAction | OnHold 0.3 HoldAction")
So, let's go over what everything does. Far as I can tell, exclusive is this engine's version of 'priority', so long as a command is marked as exclusive, it will only perform that command when available, which explains why you never roll when you're holding a direction and pressing space against a med station or something.

I believe TryStandingJump is the thing that lets you jump over gaps. Used is exactly what it sounds like, it performs the Use command. StormOff/StormOn is the sprint. OnHold/OnTap is what lets the script separate pressing the button from holding it down.

TapAction is the combat roll + taking cover. There doesn't seem to be any clear way to separate these two functions, sadly, but it won't be as big of a deal once we're done.

As for PressAction and HoldAction... well, it's not really clear what those do, but we'll keep them just in case.

Now that you know what everything does, let's stop being a console port and be a PC game, shall we? We need to separate these functions out. We need an extra key. Remember that Walk key you saw in keybindings? Doesn't seem to actually do anything. I mean, if you hold it down while you're sprinting, it'll cancel your sprint, which seems pointless. If there IS a way to get it for you to move slower than non-sprinting, you would never use it anyway. So let's actually put it to use.

First, let's cut down what spacebar does.
code:
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="Exclusive PressAction | TapAction")
Now it's just rolling and taking cover. Bear in mind this has no effect on its uses in other modes, like conversation. Anyway, we need to find a new place for using things, jumping gaps, and for sprinting. The Walk function is perfect for sprinting and jumping gaps. We'll just say it was named ironically. We'll throw holdaction in there too, in case it does anything.
code:
( Name="Walking", Command="Exclusive TryStandingJump | StormOn | OnRelease StormOff | HoldAction" )
You'll notice we're not using OnHold at all. It's not necessary. This means your inputs will be more responsive since it's not trying to separate tapping from holding anymore, which is nice. Finally, we need a way to use things. And I figured out the best place to put it. The Cover Turn function.
code:
( Name="Shared_CoverTurn", Command="Exclusive Used | TryCoverTurn" )
So now, your Turn Cover key (Middle Mouse Button by default) is now also your Use key. You'll probably want to rebind it.

I hope this was useful!

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 10, 2012

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I don't remember exactly where I read it, maybe on the War Assets screen, but I'm pretty sure the liveships stayed behind at their home planet (can't remember its name right now) along with a portion of the patrol fleet, and the rest went into battle.

The liveships, though, are those great big round things that you tend to see in the Quarian fleet i thought? Maybe some stayed behind and some came with? You'd likely only need a couple anyway to keep the Turian/Quarian fleets alive.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Toriori posted:

Good! After what he pulled on Horizon I'm happy to hear they cleaned up his act!

And not only did they talk about the Horizon stuff, they did it in a really good, well-written way. They address the issues like adults who want to work through their problems, and Shepard FINALLY gets to say all the stuff we wanted her to say back then. I couldn't be happier with how they handled the romance, and it completely made up for ME2. :3:

RBA Starblade posted:

I bought the expensive (for the beginning, at least) automatic fish feeder first. No regrets!

Also, someone on the BSN posted a (contains spoilers) great idea for a different ending which I would have loved.

Count Choculitis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 10, 2012

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Except is is?

It was established already that earth had resource problems. This is a fact in the setting. While a lot of humans definitely died defending earth, the massive influx of aliens from the stranded fleets negates that. The sol system no longer has supply lines reaching across the galaxy and instead has to rely entirely on what is in the the system to sustain its now massive and diverse population. I highly doubt all the food in sol was grown locally and instead probably came from the dozens of garden worlds humanity had founded. All of which are now inaccessible. Plus a lot of the resources in sol had already been depleted by humans in their expansion. This is why everyone was colonizing new worlds. You can't just ignore that.

I mean, you can pretend that sol somehow magically has enough resources to support everyone but then you could also pretend that the relays start working again and everything is just peachy. Going by the way the established setting worked, sol is hosed.

It's pretty upsetting how little thought they put into the ending because everything leading up to the very final moment is really top notch.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The automatic fish feeder is the best useless purchase in the game.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

s0nar posted:

The automatic fish feeder is the best useless purchase in the game.

This war has enough casualties :qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, something just occured to me.

That scene in Mass Effect 2 where Joker frees EDI? And he's joking at the time, talking about how he's going to be the one to blame when they're all stuck computing Pi because he plugged in the Overlord?

Bioware actually expects us to believe that is the primary conflict of the universe. Something Joker makes fun of for being so stupid in ME2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neutron Bandit posted:

It's pretty upsetting how little thought they put into the ending because everything leading up to the very final moment is really top notch.

Yeah, I mean really this is just another indication of how desperately this game needed some kind of epilogue. It seems like Bioware didn't really think to hard about the implications of the entire relay network failing.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Except is is?

While a lot of humans definitely died defending earth, the massive influx of aliens from the stranded fleets negates that.

Uhhhhmm, does it? The codex says that the Reapers were killing almost two million people on earth every day through their DNA reprocessing facilities. Even if we completely ignore all the war casualties, I seriously doubt the combined population of the allied fleets is any significant fraction of the death toll. Just how many aliens are you assuming are in Sol system?

The Quarians have centuries of experience growing food on spaceships, I'm sure they can help work it out, the Geth don't need to eat, the Asari have the most advanced technology of the council races and are all telekinetic...

I'm not saying everything will be fine and dandy, I'm saying we haven't a loving clue what will happen, it is a sci-fi setting with fantastical technology and magical abilities. No one, including you, should feel comfortable announcing the fate of Earth in Mass Effect as though it were a foregone conclusion. If the writers to the hypothetical sequel decide that everyone pooled their resources and intellect to turn Earth into a multicultural paradise we couldn't really insist that that was outlandishly implausible.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I am flabbergasted that Bioware was able to put together such a great game, and then somehow tack on that abortion of an ending without realizing that it sucked. I enjoyed the entire game (except the repeated dream sequence that wasn't even interesting the first time) up to the end, and then Mass Effect took a gigantic poo poo all over itself. No real closure whatsover. You just make a decision, watch some explosions, then get one tiny meaningless scene and roll credits. The decisions themselves are fine IMO (although I would have liked an ending where the relays don't blow up, but whatever) - it would have been great if only they had put together an actual epilogue. As it is, we end up knowing jack loving nothing about what happens to ANYONE after the battle at Earth. The reapers are dead/gone/us, hooray! What now? Nobody loving knows!

Christ, I shouldn't be getting mad at video games like this but the entire finale except for the actual ending is so good. Why, Bioware :(

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I have no idea what happened to Bioware when they created that ending.

Let me guess, the lead writer had a seizure.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Count Choculitis posted:

I disliked Kaidan in the first game despite romancing him, and thought he was a total dick in the second. I was fully intending to be a total jerk to him in ME3 but I was pleasantly surprised with how good his friendship path is.

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.
I think part of the problem with the kid thing is that I just didn't care about the kid. Good god, Shepard's seen so many people die, including people he was close to, and lots of other children.

Also end spoiler: I totally agree with whoever said that the Catalyst, if you imported a save that went back to ME1, should've been whoever died on Virmire

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Christ, I shouldn't be getting mad at video games like this but the entire finale except for the actual ending is so good. Why, Bioware :(

I actually never been upset at an ending before. Sure, I have been sad to leave games go where I grew attached to the characters but if the ending was good then it was a bittersweet departure?

Here? I want to throw the game out of the window.

I really do hope that if they notice the crying and decide to do a DLC to address it that they do it through a free patch. It would be pretty lovely to have to pay to be able to see the actual epilogue of a game you already paid full price for.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Count Choculitis posted:

Also, someone on the BSN posted a (contains spoilers) great idea for a different ending which I would have loved.

Jesus christ, you know it's bad when some random fan writes a better ending than you did.

I can't believe they didn't have a "gently caress you and the horse you rode in on" ending myself. One of the biggest themes of the game as a whole was the power of an individual who absolutely, positively refuses to back down on his/her principles and take the "easy way out" regardless of cost, either personal or to others.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I was a soldier in ME1 and a Vanguard in ME2, but when I imported my character to ME3 I thought I'd give Infiltrator a whirl. So now I'm an Infiltrator.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm using my invisibility ability right. Is it fine if I just take cover, go invisibile, pop out with my sniper rifle and go for headshots to get the damage bonus or do I have to get into close range or melee combat? I honestly can't tell if it's making much of a difference to my sniper rifle damage or if I should just reallocate all my points to something else.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That's exactly the ending I was hoping for.

There really was no moment you give the Reapers a big "gently caress, YOU". I'd pick the hell out of a Refuse ending. What's even better is they could write it that though the races of the galaxy win the battle at Sol, the Reapers are extremely diminished, but not gone completely setting up the stage for future games.

I don't care if I had to replay ME1 and ME2 to make specific choices. If I could get the ending written http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=1183972&poll_id=29101 here I'd do whatever I could to get it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 10, 2012

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Renegade path Wrex spoilers
http://youtu.be/f9WF0G1Orkk
I had no idea that was going to happen, I mean I knew I screwed him over but I didnt think he would catch on so soon. Sorry Wrex!

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

opblaaskrokodil posted:

I think part of the problem with the kid thing is that I just didn't care about the kid. Good god, Shepard's seen so many people die, including people he was close to, and lots of other children.

Also end spoiler: I totally agree with whoever said that the Catalyst, if you imported a save that went back to ME1, should've been whoever died on Virmire

Yeah, I was wondering why the were flogging the dead kid dreams so hard, because for a colonist / sole survivor shep one more dead kid added to the list of horrors she has already seen is not going to phase her. Extremely clumsy use of foreshadowing.
If they really wanted to do foreboding dreams then having friends, Virmire victim or LI be consumed by flames would have been more effective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If I were Bioware, I'd make an epilogue DLC, then release it for free on the same day as a paid DLC pack. That'd avoid the perception of needing to pay for a decent ending, while still pleasing the suits that you're not giving away content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am reminded. Is Commander Shepard's mother ever referenced if they're alive (based on your backstory)? You'd think that might get actual important resolution considering Shepard's having space PTSD the entire time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There really was no moment you give the Reapers a big "gently caress, YOU". I'd pick the hell out of a Refuse ending.

I think that's part of the biggest disconnect for the player base. In every other game that puts you face-to-face with "God" at the end and lets you pick the ultimate fate of the universe there's a "gently caress you, you don't tell me to do poo poo, sit and spin" option where you let the chips fall where they may. Usually the good/neutral/bad distinction is usually: say gently caress you/ merge with god or the AI or whatever to give it a human perspective/ accept that people need direction and either replace god to be your own tyrant or let it do as it will.

poo poo, this goes back to DX. More recently you see it in DXHR. In the latter one the most altruistic ending involved you committing suicide so people could have a real choice in what happens in their lives.

Man, the more I think about this gently caress them hard.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Count Choculitis posted:

You'd better believe that I would 100% the game if it meant a better option. I already 100% the others, why stop now?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There really was no moment you give the Reapers a big "gently caress, YOU". I'd pick the hell out of a Refuse ending. What's even better is they could write it that though the races of the galaxy win the battle at Sol, the Reapers are extremely diminished, but not gone completely setting up the stage for future games.

I don't care if I had to replay ME1 and ME2 to make specific choices. If I could get the ending written http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=1183972&poll_id=29101 here I'd do whatever I could to get it.

Destroy i think comes closest. It is pretty much "gently caress you and your synthetic clap trap"

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am reminded. Is Commander Shepard's mother ever referenced if they're alive (based on your backstory)? You'd think that might get actual important resolution considering Shepard's having space PTSD the entire time.

Yes. I wrote down what Hackett says about her, because Hannah Shepard is a bamf.

Hackett: And Shepard... I thought you might like to know I’ve got word on your mother.
Shepard: Oh?
Hackett: She’s alive and well and promoted to Rear Admiral. She’s helping us plan logistics for the Crucible.
Shepard: Thank you sir. That’s a relief to hear.
Hackett: I figured having another Shepard around couldn’t hurt. And she’s damned proud of what you’re doing out there. Hackett out.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

I am flabbergasted that Bioware was able to put together such a great game, and then somehow tack on that abortion of an ending without realizing that it sucked. I enjoyed the entire game (except the repeated dream sequence that wasn't even interesting the first time) up to the end, and then Mass Effect took a gigantic poo poo all over itself. No real closure whatsover. You just make a decision, watch some explosions, then get one tiny meaningless scene and roll credits. The decisions themselves are fine IMO (although I would have liked an ending where the relays don't blow up, but whatever) - it would have been great if only they had put together an actual epilogue. As it is, we end up knowing jack loving nothing about what happens to ANYONE after the battle at Earth. The reapers are dead/gone/us, hooray! What now? Nobody loving knows!

I actually liked the dream sequence. I thought it was kind of cool to show all the people that Shepard had lost having an effect on him/her

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm upset that I never got the dreamscare that I wanted where the kid turned around huskified.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

So I was a soldier in ME1 and a Vanguard in ME2, but when I imported my character to ME3 I thought I'd give Infiltrator a whirl. So now I'm an Infiltrator.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm using my invisibility ability right. Is it fine if I just take cover, go invisibile, pop out with my sniper rifle and go for headshots to get the damage bonus or do I have to get into close range or melee combat? I honestly can't tell if it's making much of a difference to my sniper rifle damage or if I should just reallocate all my points to something else.

You can use the cloak to get in close behind enemies and heavy melee them to death, but that's not really a sustainable option. If you need to go to a different location, whether to get a better view of the enemy or to escape them being up in your grill, cloaking gets you there, and there are a few missions where it's really great to be able to go invisible and just sprint straight through a horde of enemies. Most of the time, though, it's just there to give you the damage boost, which can get very substantial at high levels.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

opblaaskrokodil posted:

As one of the few people who liked the dream sequence, I'm just going to paraphrase myself from fifty pages ago:

I thought they worked really well, although happened too often. I don't think he was especially upset about that one boy, it was that that one boy was a representation of all the innocent people of the galaxy that were going to die nightmarish deaths and it was entirely on his shoulders to stop them. Shepard tried to get the boy to come with him so he could save him but he failed. The way he slowly burns to death right in front of Shepard at the end is symbolic of his sense of powerlessness against the Reaper's annihilation of millions of people every single day. The nightmares don't start because Shepard saw a boy die, the nightmares start because the loving Reapers have come and deep down he's not sure if he'll be able to do anything except fumble around in the dark watching everything burn.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem with the "gently caress you" ending is that it means you don't take advantage of the crucible at all. It may as well not have been built. The options available to you are not from the Reapers or even the God-Child, I think the kid is just explaining what the crucible can do, which is the result of many 'generations' of sentient species efforts to stand up to the reapers. The main problem is that the entire thing makes no loving sense, and while an option to tell him to go to hell with his lame three options would be a bit more satisfying, it doesn't solve any of the real problems with the ending.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 10, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Too Poetic posted:

I actually liked the dream sequence. I thought it was kind of cool to show all the people that Shepard had lost having an effect on him/her

You don't see them though, it all focuses on that stupid kid.
Which would have been bearable if not for what came at the end.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Destroy i think comes closest. It is pretty much "gently caress you and your synthetic clap trap"

Not really, because you also commit genocide and wipe out the Geth. The Reapers are still controlling your decisions with a Destroy ending.

quote:

The problem with the "gently caress you" ending is that it means you don't take advantage of the crucible at all. It may as well not have been built.

I don't know. It could more or less be a symbol of bringing everyone together. More or less you're right though. I still think a "Refuse" ending is something I would pick, even if you couldn't win.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 10, 2012

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Sniping is fine. You get the damage boost for any attack from stealth. That said, if you look at the upgrades on the squad screen, one of the last choices is 40% bonus damage from stealth specifically to sniper rifles. It's noticeable; in multiplayer if I go invisible I can kill some stuff with body shots that ordinarily I wouldn't. And a headshot on a marauder from stealth is a one hit kill for me.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

You don't see them though, it all focuses on that stupid kid.
Which would have been bearable if not for what came at the end.

You see them as just shadowy figures, but you do hear the voices of all the squad members who have died during the dream sequences. The whole point of them is it's Shepard's guilt about the dead manifesting itself.

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I am still in shock after beating it 3 days ago.The ending was not Bad really just very bad for a Mass Effect game.
It kind of sours the whole universe because your actions just get erased and anything and everything you might have enjoyed in the first two games turns to poo poo.

I wanted so badly for it to end like this.
System Shock 2 spoilers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE

• Locked thread