Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

Someone mentioned clunky combat, pro tip: only use 2 main guns like (like Assault + sniper or assault + shotgun, + one small wep (pistol OR SMG). It lowers cool down on your abilities so battles that took kind of long will be quick work

I think you mean use only one gun for maximum cooldown reduction. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah, the deus ex machina ending should've been obvious to pretty much anyone. "Hey we're building this device and we have no idea what it does!" I mean really, it's pretty much as obvious as Shepard having to make a grand sacrifice with the Shepard name."

That said I'm glad there wasn't a big boss fight. Mass Effect, for me, has always been more about decisions than boss fights to be honest. So the manner in which the endings were presented was fine with me, I just think the actually choices themselves were crap for the reasons I already went into detail about.

Despite that you say that ME is not about the boss fights, it has always had a boss fight. ME1 and ME2 both had final boss fights. ME3 is the odd one out.

Let me put it to you this way. ME3 ends as if in ME1, when Shepard confronts Saren at the Citadel being controlled by Sovereign - it's as if Saren convinced Shepard to lie down and let the Reapers through because it was useless to resist. In that case, ME1 would not have a boss fight, and the last real fighting you would do in ME1 would be the run up the Citadel - similarly, ME3 does not have a real boss fight, the last real fighting you do is simply the gauntlet on Earth, and Shepard gives in.

Do you understand the comparison I'm making yet? How ME3 lacks a real boss fight because Shepard gives in to the boss?

Pladdicus posted:

So, just to guage the feelings here, the big idea to fix the ending is

Make a gently caress you ending where Shepard does not play the Crucible's game? That or uses it in an unintended way to help. I don't see any ending with the mass relays blowing up being okay though.

Opinions/Thoughts?

Yes, this is basically it, with different amounts of success to that based on your war assets score.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Aristobulus posted:

Boss Fights

I still argue that while there was no defining boss fight, its lack was not something I thought of as a missing piece. They were never that stand out. Saren's was good, the build up was very nice, but 2's was simply okay. I felt it slightly out of place. The absence in 3 was not felt at all.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Pladdicus posted:

Holy poo poo

I don't know what happened with your salarian Councillor, but if you talk to Thane in the hospital, he protects the Salarian, or if not him then Kirrahe protects him. If they're both dead then he dies. Either way, you talk Kaiden down in the altercation and Udina pulls a gun on the councillors, and you or Kaiden shoot him (you if you pass the renegade option) and the cerberus squad takes off.

Ahahaha. Yeah, not going to the Citadel also meant I never saw Thane during the whole game, except for on my cute little deathboard. I assumed he died of space cancer until I read on here that Kai Leng kills him somehow (?). And I didn't see Kirrahe all game which I can only interpret as meaning I hosed up Mass Effect 1, which is weird because I don't remember getting any undesirable outcomes in the first game. Never got the option to talk Kaidan down, either. Had to use hammer diplomacy instead.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Darke GBF posted:

Ahahaha. Yeah, not going to the Citadel also meant I never saw Thane during the whole game, except for on my cute little deathboard. I assumed he died of space cancer until I read on here that Kai Leng kills him somehow (?). And I didn't see Kirrahe all game which I can only interpret as meaning I hosed up Mass Effect 1, which is weird because I don't remember getting any undesirable outcomes in the first game. Never got the option to talk Kaidan down, either. Had to use hammer diplomacy instead.

In ME1 (do I need spoilers for ME1 here? Oh also I got in to ME3 so anyway) Kirrahe can die in the mission for a lot of reasons I -think- need lots of stuff to go right on Virmire? Also you need to meet him at the Salarian base. I think. Not meeting Kaiden might be the catalyst, or it might just be not saving the Councillor

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

There was an interesting discussion on BSN about the consequences of the Citadel exploding in earth orbit.

Even if you accept that the relays don't just nova the system, earth is still going to be really hosed up by billions of tonnes of citadel impacting the planet, not to mention all the eezo pollution from the core, along with the wreckage of the fleets in orbit.

And since earth is the only planet in the system capable of sustaining life without massive amounts of infrastructure, poo poo is looking bad for all the survivors.

Nice going, Shep :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

deathsuxdontdie posted:

She wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't have gigantic tits that you can only cover up with Miranda's skin tight black catsuit from ME2. Her actual plot line is pretty well done, with her becoming more and more like a human/sentient living thing rather than a generic AI thing. It makes sense to put her in a more humanoid body for people to identify with her more. If she were just a glowing ball the entire time it'd be less convincing.
Yeah, I think its doubly so after the make over that Ashley got, it feels like Bioware has decided to sex the game up for no real reason. I preferred her old character model to the new one. This has probably all been said before mind.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

There was an interesting discussion on BSN about the consequences of the Citadel exploding in earth orbit.

Even if you accept that the relays don't just nova the system, earth is still going to be really hosed up by billions of tonnes of citadel impacting the planet, not to mention all the eezo pollution from the core, along with the wreckage of the fleets in orbit.

And since earth is the only planet in the system capable of sustaining life without massive amounts of infrastructure, poo poo is looking bad for all the survivors.

There is no good ending. At all. No matter how you slice it, poo poo is hosed. And since nothing you did in that game at ALL mattered it's all super pointless as gently caress. Yeah we all know, but drat Bioware.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

I want to say i doubt Bioware even considered this. But looking at the rest of the game they must have, and decided they didnt care, which is even worse. :negative:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Aristobulus posted:

Despite that you say that ME is not about the boss fights, it has always had a boss fight. ME1 and ME2 both had final boss fights. ME3 is the odd one out.

Let me put it to you this way. ME3 ends as if in ME1, when Shepard confronts Saren at the Citadel being controlled by Sovereign - it's as if Saren convinced Shepard to lie down and let the Reapers through because it was useless to resist. In that case, ME1 would not have a boss fight, and the last real fighting you would do in ME1 would be the run up the Citadel - similarly, ME3 does not have a real boss fight, the last real fighting you do is simply the gauntlet on Earth, and Shepard gives in.

Do you understand the comparison I'm making yet? How ME3 lacks a real boss fight because Shepard gives in to the boss?
I would agree if not for the fact that you often have to beat adversaries in Mass Effect with conversations so I wouldn't consider a boss fight necessary. What I'm saying is a boss fight doesn't solve the ending problems but rather Shepard doing what he (or she) has been doing for the past three games would. Whether BioWare presents that in a boss fight or a conversation isn't relevant to me, really.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 11, 2012

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

I want to say i doubt Bioware even considered this. But looking at the rest of the game they must have, and decided they didnt care, which is even worse. :negative:

Dunno, considering the entirety of the ending it seems like they had it planned early on, and never adjusted it or gave it a second thought and just kind of slapped it on. Like there. Done. Job well done everyone.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
You know, two things I really like about the new crewmember interaction stuff:

1) Walking in on people talking to each other gives a really great vibe, and lets you see how relationships between, say, Garrus and Liara stand even though they didn't really interact in ME1. It's nice and I like it.

2) I surprisingly enjoy the Zaeedification of a lot of the comments. One of the weirdest things in ME1 and 2, immersion-wise, was having go to into full conversation with Joker to get his feedback from a mission. Its nice that all the quips aren't followed with "I have to go."

They really did try to restore the feel of the Normandy SR1 though, the submarine aesthetic, but early on it just comes off as the Alliance being to cheap to pay for proper lighting.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Monday Averted posted:

Wut?

I drank too much in the Purgatory bar, passed out, then woke up next to Aria and she had this look :ohdear:

e; Either that or she was just looking out for me, she seems like she could do either.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 10, 2012

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Spikeguy posted:

Have any official reviewers commented on the ending? All I keep hearing is that the game is a great ending for the trilogy. Personally, I don't care how it ends, the scene where I talked to all my friends before the last push was enough for me. Everything after that is flavor text. I'm more interested in how all "official" reviewers seem to have no problem with it, while it seems a majority of the game's fans hate it. How did this gap form? Have we become our own subculture?

A lot of reviewers don't have time to finish a game before writing the review. Also its pretty common practice for large game companies to pay mainstream game review sites to guarantee a certain score or to gloss over any negatives. Barring that some reviewers also avoid giving poor scores to popular franchises to avoid angering their user base (which translates into less viewers, less ads sold, less subscriptions, and also death threats).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

You know, two things I really like about the new crewmember interaction stuff:

1) Walking in on people talking to each other gives a really great vibe, and lets you see how relationships between, say, Garrus and Liara stand even though they didn't really interact in ME1. It's nice and I like it.
This should be in every rpg made from now on. It adds so much to give the feeling you're part of a living world.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Maybe this is just a bug, but does anyone know where Miranda is supposed to be once you get her second message about meeting you on the Citadel? I just got the message and went to the Citadel, and my maps show she's at the Embassies, but I've looked and I just don't see her. I wondered if it was maybe just bugged and I could fix it by leaving and doing a side mission then coming back, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011

Aristobulus posted:

What you're posting about here goes more into something else I got into a bit in my post, and honestly, this is another strong failing of the ending.

Why? Because this isn't an ending where the slate is wiped clean so new games can be made in the universe. What you are posting can't happen. Without the Mass Relays there is no galactic civilization. It will die, and NEVER COME BACK. EVER. The ending of ME3 does NOT allow for a game to be made that takes place in a distant future where Shepard is a myth, because in that distant future, what you would actually see is a ruined galaxy with a tiny, tiny fraction of the life it had in the ME trilogy. You would see a completely ruined Earth, Thessia, Palaven looking more like Tuchanka than a real populated world, except in very likely an even worse state than we ever saw Tuchanka in.

There may be pockets of small villages on self sustaining planets here and there, but as a whole things are completely ruined after ME3. Galactic civilization is truly dead and never coming back.

I understand your reasoning here, but keep in mind that this is Bioware we're talking about. Mass Effect is a fictional universe, and its rules are dictated by plot, not logic. If the writers rigorously adhered to the established rules of the setting, everything from Arrival onward simply shouldn't have happened - I mean, it's never once explained how the reapers even made it into the galaxy without access to the citadel, even though the first game had spelled out quite clearly that this is the only way for them to get out of darkspace in any reasonable amount of time.

I could easily imagine a new game in the same universe set after the races of the galaxy have discovered their own means of space travel. Remember that while it wasn't as gothic and ornate as Warhammer 40k or Dune, Mass Effect was still a stagnant universe, because more or less everything was in place already thanks to the citadel and the relays. There is nothing that indicates that galactic civilization couldn't eventually recover from their loss. Of course, a game in that setting would hardly be recognisable as a Mass Effect game at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Charlie Mopps posted:

Bioware didn't seem to think about the implications of the loss of the relay network. Somehow they forgot about just how vital it was to civilization. Stuff came from all corners of the galaxy to sustain worlds and populations, and suddenly losing that means an immense number of people are suddenly going to be without essential supplies. And there is no hope of it being fixed anytime soon.

If a new galactic civilization ever does come about, it will be in such an incredibly distant future that the events of this game won't even matter.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

This should be in every rpg made from now on. It adds so much to give the feeling you're part of a living world.

I was a little bit disappointed I couldn't sit down for a couple of minutes and join in the conversations.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

thefncrow posted:

Maybe this is just a bug, but does anyone know where Miranda is supposed to be once you get her second message about meeting you on the Citadel? I just got the message and went to the Citadel, and my maps show she's at the Embassies, but I've looked and I just don't see her. I wondered if it was maybe just bugged and I could fix it by leaving and doing a side mission then coming back, but that didn't seem to do anything.
Go to the Spectre office and use the leftmost terminal.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Warszawa posted:

They really did try to restore the feel of the Normandy SR1 though, the submarine aesthetic, but early on it just comes off as the Alliance being to cheap to pay for proper lighting.

It feels unfinished (which it is) but yeah it also gives the impression that the alliance are not funding their most advanced ship properly. (Regardless if Shepard would get it back or not)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Malrauxs Place posted:

I have this nagging feeling that maybe the whole point of those vague endings is to provide a blank slate so future games don't need to take individual player choices into account - kind of like the warp in the west did for The Elder Scrolls. The epilogue already implies that future installments in the franchise will take place long after the events of ME3 - so long, in fact, that Shepard has turned into a mythical character and nobody can really say what actually happened anymore.
A loose canon ending-not one of the ones we have now- would have worked out fine. Of course you'd have nerds whining that, that's not how their Shepard did it, but you can't please everyone. Keeping continuation beyond the trilogy itself isn't the biggest priority in the world. I was kind of hoping there would be a stand alone game with the same settings and characters to pick up slightly afterwards, and involve an engaging plot, just a whole lot less grim. The way things are now, that's not happening.

Pladdicus posted:

Maybe a time slowdown where you have to shoot the Illusive Man before he shoots Anderson, final boss, there. After the huge swarm fight, your squad pushing themselves to their limits and the hell run, I felt satisfied with INTENSE ACTION FINAL BOSS.
Keith David deserves better :colbert:

Malrauxs Place posted:

Of course, a game in that setting would hardly be recognisable as a Mass Effect game at all.
Exactly.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 10, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Bioware didn't seem to think about the implications of the loss of the relay network. Somehow they forgot about just how vital it was to civilization. Stuff came from all corners of the galaxy to sustain worlds and populations, and suddenly losing that means an immense number of people are suddenly going to be without essential supplies. And there is no hope of it being fixed anytime soon.

If a new galactic civilization ever does come about, it will be in such an incredibly distant future that the events of this game won't even matter.

That was probably the point, but if you're going to do that then you might as well just set it in a different galaxy or some poo poo

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I have a better idea for the crucible. Instead of being some kind of massive deus ex machina it should be a highly sophisticated weapon system that can temporarily re-purpose mass relays into extremely powerful cannons. Your asset score determines how successful the resulting battle is because you need fleet assets to keep the reapers occupied while you use mass relays to snipe them. Alternatively the crucible could have been a variant of the ultra powerful cannon that created that massive canyon on that planet.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

A loose canon ending-not one of the ones we have now- would have worked out fine. Of course you'd have nerds whining that, that's not how their Shepard did it, but you can't please everyone. Keeping continuation beyond the trilogy itself isn't the biggest priority in the world. I was kind of hoping there would be a stand alone game with the same settings and characters to pick up slightly afterwards, and involve an engaging plot, just a whole lot less grim. The way things are now, that's not happening.

Keith David deserves better :colbert:

"You did good, child" :unsmith:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

I have a better idea for the crucible. Instead of being some kind of massive deus ex machina it should be a highly sophisticated weapon system that can temporarily re-purpose mass relays into extremely powerful cannons. Your asset score determines how successful the resulting battle is because you need fleet assets to keep the reapers occupied while you use mass relays to snipe them. Alternatively the crucible could have been a variant of the ultra powerful cannon that created that massive canyon on that planet.

I was kind of disappointed you couldn't assign your squad to different roles, like putting Garrus in charge of a strike force because he is a tactical genius, using Jack's biotic artillery for something specific etc. and have that stuff affect your chances of victory. They all just felt a bit under-utilized.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Hey, is there any way to use the save game editor to unlock a bonus power for my profile on the PC? I wanted to use a particular power in my current playthrough, but the NPC who teaches it to me is dead in my save file.

Westen
Nov 6, 2011

I was kind of disappointed you couldn't assign your squad to different roles, like putting Garrus in charge of a strike force because he is a tactical genius, using Jack's biotic artillery for something specific etc. and have that stuff affect your chances of victory. They all just felt a bit under-utilized.

It really would have been nice to have a few cuts to see just what exactly your friends were doing, even better if the last push on earth was like a much larger version of the suicide mission.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Welp, I just hit the ending and I'm just going to say that the edited destroy ending that someone posted earlier is what happened. My shepard convinced TIM to off himself, bringing poo poo full circle since he did the same to Saren and had a nice breath at the end to show he's still alive and kicking.

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say that I actually started playing the story yesterday and fired it up again today to do the DLC mission, so it was my first encounter with Nemeses. Apparently in single player when you kill them, they stretch out, then snap and fly off into the sky like some sort of human rubber band. As a person who was infinitely entertained by silly graphical glitches in Skyrim I can't wait to see what else this game can do. :neckbeard:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Westen posted:

It really would have been nice to have a few cuts to see just what exactly your friends were doing, even better if the last push on earth was like a much larger version of the suicide mission.

Yeah, it really felt like shep was operating in a vacuum in the last bit.
"I have assembled this awesome team to defeat the reapers, let's kick rear end guys! ...guys?"

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Casimir Radon posted:

Exactly. All along I've been saying that while Shepard's story ends in ME3, I've been hoping they do more with the universe. Even if Shepard's story had to end, I wanted more games to come out that could flesh out the rest of the galaxy. I mean they wrote an entire galaxy, you have had single planets that are interesting enough to base an entire game on, start to finish, and we have a whole GALAXY with planets and possible conflicts like this.

There was a whole slew of possibilities and ways they would've been able to keep making games in the universe that aren't about Shepard. Then this ending removes all that. There simply can be no more games, about anyone, because the galaxy is dead.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Just wanted to say that I actually started playing the story yesterday and fired it up again today to do the DLC mission, so it was my first encounter with Nemeses. Apparently in single player when you kill them, they stretch out, then snap and fly off into the sky like some sort of human rubber band. As a person who was infinitely entertained by silly graphical glitches in Skyrim I can't wait to see what else this game can do. :neckbeard:

Bug eyes, exorcist necks, conversations where the floor is really interesting, weird floating hands...

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

What triggers Liara coming to you in your cabin wit the time capsule thing? That didn't happen my first go round.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

CaptainCarrot posted:

Go to the Spectre office and use the leftmost terminal.

Aha. The actual listing on the map just said Miranda, so I was looking for her in person, not a terminal. Thanks.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

thefncrow posted:

Aha. The actual listing on the map just said Miranda, so I was looking for her in person, not a terminal. Thanks.

I did this too :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I hear about this game to more lazy and rushed it sounds. Even if it wasn't on Origin I probably wouldn't buy it until the price came down a lot.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Shroomie posted:

What triggers Liara coming to you in your cabin wit the time capsule thing? That didn't happen my first go round.
Not sure, but it happened in my game where i had her romanced. Loved that scene, it was really :3:.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

The more I hear about this game to more lazy and rushed it sounds. Even if it wasn't on Origin I probably wouldn't buy it until the price came down a lot.

Honestly a good idea, they might have sorted it a bit by then, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The game is 99% amazing, especially if you've played 1 and 2. Its just the last 10 minutes that are terrible, the other 30 hours are great.

• Locked thread